Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK PAN  (Read 69115 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BK PAN
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2004, 11:02:18 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Well, I need to remember that when I hit the "Backspace" key, that depending upon where my cursor is currently, it will either "backspace" or it will go back to the web page I was previously viewing.... grrr...

So, as I was saying...

Once housekeeping came back, I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood.  I basically grew up in Arlington, and even though a lot of it has changed - lots being built up (and torn down) - there's still a lot of it that has not changed.  So, as I walked around, I decided to check out a few store fronts that I've always seen (since my childhood), but have never stepped foot in.

My first stop was "Indian Spices and Appliances".  Yes, that is the name of the store.  And guess what's inside?  Huh?  Can you guess?  Well, the first floor has "Indian Spices" and the second floor has "Appliances".  I've seen write ups in various local magazines over the years, but now that I've seen it...  I didn't spend much time looking at the appliances - although there seemed to be some great deals on the scratch and dent items - but the first floor held much more than spices.  Lentils, breads, bottles of rose water... oh, and spices, of course.  There was also a nice freezer case, and a selection of prepared foods.  I'll need to head back there and pick up some samosas and some carrot halwah.  -I love those Indian sweets.  But it was nice finally going in there and seeing what all the fuss was about... and, heck, it's been in business at least 20 years, so it must be doing something right.

Next came the old Dunkin' Donuts which is now a great little Mexican place.  -I ended up stopping by there on the way back and picked up some lunch.  And they had pupusas too!  YUMMY!!  -And it's also true Mexican, not Tex-Mex, so that was another plus in my book.

I also made a stop into an English store.  The main thing you see on the sign outside is "Cigars" - there's even a cigar store Indian outside.  But underneath "Cigars", I noticed that "Munchies and Sweets" was also listed in smaller print.  Well, as soon as I walked in the door - and the place really is not that big - I noticed their very nice selection of English chocolates (Cadbury, Galaxy, Aeros, etc.)  They also had a nice selection of "crisps" (potato chips) in various flavors, lots of canned and bottled items, and a freezer case with frozen meat pies and pork "bangers".  Again, I'll have to stop back by there - I just didn't want to "risk" buying chocolate since it's so hot outside and I was walking.  -And the staff of three seemed more than happy that I was just browsing right now - of course, I was also smiling from ear to ear as I was looking at the various chocolate bars.  ;)

After stopping at Whole Foods to pick up a smoothie at Jamba Juice (I just need to remember to always get the small size!), I headed back to the apartment walking on the opposite side of the street.  I ended walking all the way down to Clarendon - about two subway stops away - and my walk back took me through "Little Vietnam" - lots of quirky little shops and restaurants.

And I made it back to my freshly cleaned apartment in time for "The Young & The Restless"!  Cameron is ALIVE?!?!?!?   :o ??? ::) :P

-And my two soft chickend tacos were quite good - and generously filled -and the pork and cheese pupusa was very good too!  -And only about $5.00 for all of that plus chips and guac!!  (And, yes, I know pupusas are more Argentinian, but, hey they're made with masa, so...)

DR D-in-T - I know most repairman charge for a minimum amount of time - usually an hour - regardless of how much they actually end up spending on he repair.  Could he just be "using" all his time?  -Is he at least nice to look at?  ;)

RE: Survivor - I didn't - wasn't able to - see any of this round of Survivor, so... But I'd like to see Colby get the $1 million - mainly since he did basically give it to Teena in their round.  -And he's just soo darned cute.   ;)

OK - that's enough mid-day rambling from me for now...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:30 AM »

Happy Birthday DRROBIN.  

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:53 AM »

Fifteen USERS - that's what I call ballin' the jack.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »

Favorite fairy tale for me was probably PETER PAN.  I remember seeing the Disney version when I was a child, but it didn't have nearly the impact on me as the Mary Martin production.  As a child, just getting started as an actor, I found the whole show magical.  I wanted, so much, to play Michael or John, or one of The Lost Boys.  I can certainly understand that for those who did not experience Martin's Peter Pan back in those more innocent days in the 50s, the whole production probably looks corny and even amateurish.  But, as a boy of five, for whom television itself was still brand-new and enchanting; seeing Peter and the children flying out the window for Never Land to the tune of I’m Flying” was then, and remains today, one of the most memorable experiences of my childhood.  Many years later, I recaptured that very same feeling of wonder each and every time I saw Sandy Duncan do the show on Broadway; and later, to a lesser extent, with Cathy Rigby.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2004, 11:07:09 AM »

I have vague recollections of, I think, the Sandy Duncan PETER PAN playing on tv when I was a very small child. Also, a live action version of CINDERELLA starring???...I can't remember now. It was from the 1960s, I believe, but still played on national television as a special in the late 60s or very, very early 70s.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2004, 11:08:40 AM »

Is anyone out there familiar with the books by Edward Eager?  I'm particularly fond of the first four that he wrote (Half Magic, Knight's Castle, Magic by the Lake, and The Time Garden).  The way he linked those four books together was particularly neat.

I still find myself reading "children's literature" from time to time, on the pretext of checking the books before passing them on to the grandlads.  Like anyone believes that story.

Favorite Disney animated fairy tale from my childhood?  Sleeping Beauty.  For one thing, the prince actually had a name (Phillip), and played an active role in the story.  And Maleficent looks and acts like my sister.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2004, 11:09:07 AM »

Sandy Duncan's Peter Pan (wonderful show) has never aired or been taped for TV, nor was it recorded.  There are bootleg (BAD bootleg) videos floating around, and one number (I'm Flying) was done on the Tonys.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »

DR Dan IT:  What kind of tv repairman did you hire?  That cracks me up that he is watching tv.  Isn't he in a rush to get somewhere else?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2004, 11:10:19 AM »

Fifteen USERS - that's what I call ballin' the jack.

Who's this Jack?

Dan - I sent you an email. I had trouble getting email to Anna Porter at Key Porter in TO last week - you'd think they wouldn't have problems. Maybe it's between here and TO - a HUGE cyber glitch.
Let me know if you got it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:12:10 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2004, 11:14:24 AM »

Such intrigue between Canada and the US.  Do you realize that if everyone perusing the board made fifty posts in the next three minutes we'd shatter all previously known records?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2004, 11:14:37 AM »

And that's a lot of records.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »

I'd rather shatter some CDs or laserdiscs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2004, 11:15:01 AM »

DR Robin stands before a group of people.  He clears his throat and says:
My name is Robin, and I'm...um...I'm a birthday boy.
To which all the other birthday boys and girls reply:
Hi, Robin.

Remember, sometimes admitting you have a birthday is the hardest step to take.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »

The end of my block is all marked off for some kind of film shoot tomorrow. (Including the Gidget/MM & Joe house). The Wonderdog is not going to like this. It's his walking route to the park.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2004, 11:19:04 AM »

I hope, DR MBarnum, you aren't confusing Sandy Duncan's wonderful PETER PAN with that awful Mia Farrow production?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2004, 11:20:02 AM »

bk --- FYI- Dan-in-TO and I are planning a hostile takeover of the site - naw, let's think big - the WORLD. The planet will no longer be called "Earth" - a pretty unimaginative name, IMHO - but will be know as DANNA.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2004, 11:20:07 AM »

DR Jose: We're one day ahead here on Y&R.  I am so confused about that Cameron storyline.  Some are saying he has a twin brother (not sure which one is dead).

And as for Colby, he has always been my favorite.  LOVED him in Australia.  But I won't vote for him here.  They said to vote for who deserved to win All Stars.  Not who our favorite is, or we think is the cutest (although I think Rob Mariano is cute too).  Should be interesting.  

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »

Hmm, I don't know which Peter Pan it was that I saw then. Could it have been the Mary Martin one? It would have been around 1968 or 69 or 70 when I saw it, but it was likely older then that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:38:34 AM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

Well, Sandy didn't do it until 1978 or so, so it definitely wasn't her.  It was either the Martin or the Farrow.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2004, 11:43:48 AM »

I think the term fairy tale (or faery tale, as I prefer) is being a bit liberally exercised here.  I don't consider either PETER PAN nor WIZARD OF OZ faery tales...Faery tales are usually oral stories that  have been told and handed down through generations and have variations.  

I've never been one much for faery tales myself, though The Lovely Wife collects them and has many of the Lang compliations and other goodies.

If I apply the liberal definition being used here to faery tale, then my fav is definitely THE PRINCESS BRIDE, S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure, the 'good parts' version, Abridged by William Goldman.

BK, was my pal Jason Isaacs any good as Captain Hook?...It is a role I think he may have been born to play...

Well, what a delight.  Script is in.  Car is in the shop.  Got plenty of nice sleep.  Woke with Blind Culley snoozing beside me with his head on my arm.  Now I 've "nothing to do but relax..." (A Lorenz Hart reference)...guess I'll finish the last hundred pages of BK's latest opus, tinker with some of my own scribblings, maybe watch a movie.

I'm not watching AI tonight...I have no interest whatsoever in the show anymore, I'm happy to say...one less thing to deal with...

Nothing to do but relax,
'Neath the eucalyptus tree,
Flat on our beautiful backs,
Healthy and dumb,
Warm days are nice enough,
Summer has come.
And we'll bring ice enough,
For our rum.

Nothing to do but make love,
Two demented butterflies,
Time with a flutter flies
While the bees make wax
And we have nothing to do but relax.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »

Jason was fine, but he had no help from the director.  One wants a larger-than-life Captain Hook and we certainly don't get it in this film.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2004, 11:48:53 AM »

DR Jose: We're one day ahead here on Y&R.  I am so confused about that Cameron storyline.  Some are saying he has a twin brother (not sure which one is dead).

-Or maybe it was so cold that night that Sharon hit him on the head...  His body ended up being cryogenically frozen... and the water - and rats(!) - in the sewer brought his body temp back up so gradually.... Or maybe Sharon ended up killing the twin(!) who had wanted to surprise Cameron at the party that night...  Or maybe the whole current Newman family story-line(s) is just one big dream that Cassie is having from her time in the hospital after falling through the ice!

-Yes, yes, yes... I know we're "losing" some of you out there... but the possibities are endless... and ridiculous... and could very well "come to life" on the small screen!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2004, 11:54:22 AM »

I have vague recollections of, I think, the Sandy Duncan PETER PAN playing on tv when I was a very small child. Also, a live action version of CINDERELLA starring???...I can't remember now. It was from the 1960s, I believe, but still played on national television as a special in the late 60s or very, very early 70s.

DR MBarnum, I believe you're thinking of the PETER PAN with Danny Kaye and Mia Farrow(?).  The CINDERELLA is most likely the Leslie Ann Warren-Ginger Rogers production, which I always felt lacked the charm of the Julie Andrews version.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2004, 12:16:59 PM »

OK - So Coke and Pepsi are coming out with "low carb" versions of their respective sodas...  Are they just re-packaging and re-labeling their existing Diet sodas?!?!?!?

It's the same thing with Russell Stover's Low-Carb line... If you read the labels carefully, they are essentially the same as their Sugar-Free line... Only they cost a little more!?!?!?

-Oh, and my favorite ad on the Metro (subway) from last week...
The Picture: A vase of flowers.
The Caption:  There is an 8th Deadly Sin: Forgetting.  Happy Mother's Day!
(The Company: Teleflora)

:)

-Just some random thoughts... I think I need a nap now...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2004, 12:20:10 PM »

Wow, it's finally getting warmer out again. Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2004, 12:23:52 PM »

DR Jose: I can make no sense of the Cameron thingie.  He seemingly has no clue what Sharon is talking about.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2004, 12:25:50 PM »

Where did everybody go?

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2004, 12:27:14 PM »

DR JMK can you give a link to your ebay item.  I am so clueless. :(

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2004, 12:42:43 PM »

DR Panni,

I've heard that AOL identifies certain senders as SPAM. I'm going to try sending you that not-terribly-important e-mail, this time using a different e-mail account. Such intrigue.

And the repairman finally left. He did not charge by the hour, and it appears he fixed the television.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »

Speaking of spam, I've been having a problem with my yahoo account.  Sometimes I like to send emails (sometimes advertisements) from my regular account to my yahoo account.  But yahoo reads it as spam.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set certain addresses as NOT SPAM (my address is in my yahoo address book, and that doesn't seem to help).

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up