Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: AIN'T WE GOT FUN?  (Read 126214 times)

td

• td
Re:AIN'T WE GOT FUN?
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2004, 09:26:31 PM »

George Chakiris also danced against Marilyn Monroe in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, iirc.  
And nobody mentioned that Valerie Harper is in the chorus of the film of LI'L ABNER!  C'mon Kritzerheads! ! !   It's a Leslie Parrish movie for cryin' out loud!  And Valerie carved herself quite a niche in the tv industry, didn't she? ? ?

Songs which make me cry, no matter what:
"Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)" - comp. Don McLean
"Errol Flynn" - comp. Amanda McBroom
"Yard Sale" - comp. Tom Anderson
"Father to Son" - comp. William Finn
"What Would I Do?" - comp. William Finn
"We Can Be Kind" - comp. David Friedman
"We Live on Borrowed Time" - comp. David Friedman
"Grateful" - comp. John Bucchino
"Sweet Dreams" - comp. John Bucchino
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2004, 09:29:22 PM »

I'm letting "The invisible man" do my PAGE SIX DANCE:

Great stuff, eh?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2004, 09:31:15 PM »

Good Evening!

It's hot up here!  And it was hot in the theatre tonight too!  Ugh!  The A/C malfunctioned halfway through the first act, so... I could suddenly feel the air just "stop"... and the heat and humidity just started to sink in.  It's an historical building, so it is prone to getting "warm" during the summer months, but tonight.. ugh..  Thankfully, it got started back up during intermission, but since they open the big doors to the outside during intermission...  Ah, well...

After the show, I took two of the cast members on a mini-adventure, and we walked around the neighborhood and got some food.  Very dee-lish - and a great night to eat outside.  -And a great night to walk too!  Very nice breeze.  Oh, and we saw a few cicadas trying to crawl out of their "shells" too!

OK - I need to decompress for a bit... be back later..
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2004, 09:32:22 PM »

Okay, heaven knows I have no shortage of things to say about movies.   :P

For Wednesday night....can anyone name the film this screen cap comes from?

No prizes, but if you know it, it may say something about you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2004, 09:33:55 PM »

Woody---
These quotes and this information come from JimHillMedia.Com, an unofficial Disney website.  Apparently it was postings on this site in November that cauded Eisner to change his mind about deleting Roy Disney's participation from the third wave of Treasures.

With the Mickey Mouse Club set in the next wave of releases, I trust that it will be the original series from 1955-58 and noit the recent onw with all the future pop tarts.
The key word in your own discription of JHM.com is "unofficial."  

A quick check at the site revealed a top-of-the-home-page banner reading "Goodbye Michael, Restore the Magic."  This does not make the site sound unbiased in it's reporting of news.  A further check listed something like a little over six hundred registered users of the site's discussion board.

Just six hundred registered users?  And this site is claiming to change the decisions of the head of a company that is worth billions?  Does this seem rational?

Another website I regularly post at, eGullet.com, has over twelve THOUSAND registered users.  The biggest ripple that site has ever caused is decrying the use of Rick Bayless as a spokesperson for Burger King, something that got mention in a couple of newspapers...on the back pages...in a side bar...maybe.  Compare this with the claim that a site with little over six HUNDRED registered users could sway Disney, a media conglomerate with world-wide connections.

As the song goes, "A dream is a wish the heart makes when you are asleep."  Dream on.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2004, 09:42:16 PM »

I notice that one of my favourite movies is to be screened on locall TV this week - "Death In Venice". Always think of the film when I hear Mahler...
So that's the "One for Mahler" everyone keeps talking about!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2004, 09:42:52 PM »

Hello. Nothing much to say. Reading. Drinking Diet Cherry Coke. Eating peanuts. Reading. Drinking Diet Cherry Coke.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2004, 09:54:34 PM »

I tried something different when I made dinner tonight.  I made Leftover Chinese.

No, not leftover from a Chinese food place.  Leftovers with Chinese veggies and flavors added.

I thought it turned out OK, for a first try.  The how-to needs some work, of course.  Der Brucer was less impressed, finding some of the meat less than at it's prime.  Oh, well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2004, 10:00:33 PM »

Valerie Harper was not the only dancer in Li'l Abner to move on to a successful career - add Beth Howland, too.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2004, 10:14:01 PM »

Hello. Nothing much to say. Reading. Drinking Diet Cherry Coke. Eating peanuts. Reading. Drinking Diet Cherry Coke.

Panni -- Who wrote Drinking Diet Cherry Coke?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2004, 10:16:21 PM »

The name of the author excapes me, but it's the sequel to Drinking Diet Coke.  The third in the series, Drinking Diet Coke with Lime, isn't selling as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2004, 10:34:26 PM »

But it is selling better than The New Coke.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2004, 10:35:18 PM »

Yes it is, yes it is FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER with Sandra Knight and John Ashley.  8)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »

"American Idol" -- Fantasia Barrino, who should be this year's "American Idol", will probably be voted off next week and we'll have the two 16-year-olds as the final two.

I am resolute in my blaming of Simon for his cruel remarks to Jasmine last night...tonight's results are a direct backlash of sympathy from the voting public (the teens, mostly) for Jasmine.  Simon's and Randy's callous remarks kept John Stevens around much longer than he ought to have stayed.  It wasn't until Simon complimented John's conduct in the face of all that derision that the public was content to let him go.

Jasmine was obviously beside herself in delight tonight, not giving too much thought at first to the fact that her being safe meant that someone much better than she would have to go.

I think LaToya played things a bit too safely, and warily, throughout the competition.  I think she's the best voice we had in the top 12, but I think Fantasia is the one with all the magic going for her.

The trouble is getting others who agree with me to vote for her, and to vote often.  I'll reiterate that all the lines on the West Coast were pretty much open and available for any calls last night, proving what I cannot say, except that the London and Barrino fans were not voting.

There were apparently "controlled leaks" about tonight's show on both Ryan Seacrest's TV show and CNN and Fox News saying that America would be "shocked" once again.  That could only mean Fantasia or LaToya.  

Fox, of course, is milking everything it can, creating dramatic tension on the show that, under other circumstances, might be considered cruel and inhumane abuse.  At the very least, Fox has cornered the market in tedious pacing and asinine pronouncements.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:39:22 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2004, 10:51:50 PM »

There was a neat 10-minute preview of "The Day After Tomorrow" preceding AI tonight.

It looks sensation, effects wise.  The story has that all-too-familiar scientific-expert-telling-the-White-House-what-it-doesn't-want-to-hear-until-something-terrible-happens-and-then-he-plays-catchup-trying-to-evacuate-folks-who-might-otherwise-have-been-saved story arc.

It was central on NBC's "10.5" most recently...and has been the central arc on every natural disaster movie I've ever seen.

Damn those politicians for NEVER doing the right thing in each of them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:52:44 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2004, 10:51:54 PM »

LOL you've got FOX right RLP.

But you really can't become a star by winning a contest.  And the comments of the judges about the absurdity of the voting really was crushing to the girls on the couch.....

But then....I don't plan on watching it again.  Too dumb...the show, that is.

I liked the preview too RLP.  But I hate movies that look like video games....and some of the previews for TROY look just that way.  And I think I saw NYC underwater in WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE.  I liked the tornadoes in LA though!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:53:19 PM by JRand53 »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2004, 10:52:02 PM »

I realize that what I am about to write is bound to set me up for a lot of jokes from all of you, but here goes.....

I am beginning to think I am becoming a prude!  As I have said many times, I don't watch reality shows on TV, but I still feel like I am aware of what each one is basically about.  Yet, I walked in to the bedroom tonight, and THE BACHELOR was on television.  I could not believe this show!  Here is this guy (who for all intents and purposes is a rich, handsome, and fairly successful NFL quarterback) sitting at this dinner table telling this beautiful blonde that he is falling in love with her AND he is, also, falling in love with another woman.  Having said this, he then hands her a key to the "Fantasy Suite" and suddenly they are off for a night of great sex.  From the voice-overs he apparently spent the night before with the other woman and she is aware that he spent the night with the other woman.  And yet, we leave them (at the fade out), on the bed together at what is to be the start of a long hard night.

I'm sorry, but what kind of crap is this to show on national television?  Aren't we teaching the young people watching the same double standards that (a) it is fine for a guy to sleep with any woman he wants; and (b) if a woman wants to land the guy, she has to sleep with him?  This is pure crap!

Sorry.  End of rant.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 11:07:06 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2004, 10:52:29 PM »

Good Evening...

Well... I've seem to have fallen into a "funk" during the past couple of minutes... ???  Guess it was a longer day today than I thought it was... I'm heading to bed...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2004, 10:54:54 PM »

It wasn't an "Allen Funk" was it?  Cause if it was an "Allen Funk," then things might turn around and tickle your funny bone.

:D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2004, 10:54:54 PM »

Goodnight DRJOSE.....

TCB - that's entertainment!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »

I realize that what I am about to write is bound to set me up for a lot of jokes from all of you, but here goes.....

I am beginning to think I am becoming a prude!
I'm sorry, but what kind of crap is this to show on national television?  Aren't we teaching the young people watching the same double standards that (a) it is fine for a guy to sleep with any woman he wants; and (b) if a woman wants to land the guy, she has to sleep with him?  This is pure crap!Sorry.  End of rant.

Dear Prudish TCB....NOT!

I'm sorry....have you totally missed out on soap operas the past 30 years?

The values you've described have been espoused on every successful soap since I got hooked on "All My Children" back in 1970 when it starred Richard Hatch and Karen Gorney as a pair of teenagers doing the naughty things teens weren't supposed to do.

No, it doesn't make it any more palatable that they set up this "glamour puss" parade of honeys displaying themselves for the male ego that seems to need constant stroking.  The one "Bachelor" series I watched did not contain sexual escapades....I'm rather surprised it has moved into that arena....

...but if you've been paying any attention to the preachers when you channel surf, you'll know that this not the the beginning of the end but the very end days that have been prophesied in the Bible...every vile corruptible thing the Bible has said will happen is happening...and more, according to some.

(My tongue is firmly placed between my upper and lower teeth and I'm desperately trying to avoid any cheek contact).

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2004, 11:37:24 PM »

Everything is incredibly W-I-D-E....  :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2004, 11:52:41 PM »

There's nothing wide here.

Maybe it was the peanuts?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2004, 11:57:55 PM »

Wide?  We don't need no stinking wide.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2004, 11:58:29 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Of course, if all Miss Panni ate for her evening meal was peanuts, perhaps she's hallucinating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2004, 11:58:46 PM »

New notes coming in a mere two minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up