Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AYE, THERE'S THE RULB  (Read 38825 times)

MBarnum

Re:AYE, THERE'S THE RULB
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004, 10:01:54 AM »

I agree with DR Jennifer...they do tend to edit those shows to titilate the viewer into sticking around for next weeks episode. They make it look as though something is going down, but in reality it never happens! The best you get is the NFL player taking his shirt off and dipping into the hot tub...reason enough to watch of course, but not the raw sexuality that is implied! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2004, 10:02:48 AM »

As for American Idol:

I'm fairly certain that many people voted to keep Jasmine because of how harsh Simon's comments were.  That makes me so mad.

I am also pretty sure that LaToya annoyed a lot of voters by what she said.  She might not have meant it the way it came across, but it did sound like she was saying that she didn't really want to win.

I do think Jasmine will go next week.  But I hope that the judges realize what happened, and are not brutally harsh. It's a total shame that the judges cannot say exactly what they think. But there you have it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2004, 10:10:14 AM »

AI:  In what way are those three "judges"?  Honestly!  None of their comments mean a thing on the whole.  Are they telling us what to think?  How to think?  They weren't able to shake John Stevens loose when he should have gone.  And Jasmine has been around at least one week too long, maybe two.  

Do "we" need their approval?  Do the contestants?  

My point is that if they're judging, they ought to be cutting one person each week.

Or better yet, let them vote to cut one person and let "us" vote to cut one person.  When we agree, that cut person goes, when we don't agree, nobody goes.  In the event nobody goes in a given week, the next week the judges and public vote to oust two contestants, etc.  

For Lupone afficionados and fanatics:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/05/13/DDGK66K6G419.DTL&type=music

She's playing in San Francisco and got rather a good review.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 10:11:32 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2004, 10:13:43 AM »

AMERICAN IDOL TALK.

Re: Jasmine's reaction last night

I was not impressed at all.

Obviously she was surprised.  But she seemed really happy (thanking her fans).  Personally I felt more embarrassed than happy for her.  It would be one thing if her fans voted for her because they thought she was the best.  But that wasn't it at all (check out the title of this message on the Idol board - "I voted for Jasmine to make Simon mad").

Not good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2004, 10:18:32 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone this week?  Tarnation?  Certainly not here.

WEL: I think we know by now that our host occasionally has hiccups for brief moments, but they do fix them quickly.  I got on fine, and no one else has mentioned a prob, so I imagine it came and went within minutes.

Good documentary choices!  

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2004, 10:18:34 AM »

More AMERICAN IDOL TALK.

DR RLP: I think the judges hold enormous influence on the public.

Do you not think that their remarks basically guaranteed Diana's safety this week.

IMO if Simon says a performance is great, then fans listen.

But then there are unfortunately many voters who vote out of sympathy (feeling so bad that Simon made Jasmine cry ...).

It's weird, but when John Stevens kept going forward, I never saw it as people rebelling against Simon.  I saw it as people liking his unique talent (although in retrospect I think probably many of his votes were to spite Simon).

But this week, it seemed obvious to me.  This was payback for LaToya's comments, and against Simon for being mean.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

If the final two ends up being Jasmine and Diana, I predict a big shake-up in voting procedures next year with the judges getting to have a say along with the public vote. I suspect they'll initiate a weighted judging routine where each judge will rank the contestants, and the rank from call-in telephone votes will be one rank. Therefore the results of the four ranks (three primary judges and the public) will be averaged together, and the lowest rank gets ousted.

I have to agree that the PERCEPTION of what LaToya said and her laid back attitude about everything to do with the show worked against her. In this case, I think the audience wants to see someone REALLY want to win. She didn't exude that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2004, 10:40:31 AM »

Three more excellent documentaries

Before Stonewall by Robert Rosenberg, John Scagliotti, and Greta Schiller (the sequel After Stonewall, was good but not, at least for me, as good as Before Stonewall)

Coming Out Under Fire-great film by Alan Bérubé. It puts to shame the whole Don't Ask, Don't Tell argument.

Paris is Burning by Jennie Livingston.

I do see other documentaries besides gay-themed ones :-)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 10:41:07 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2004, 10:43:15 AM »

Btw, is this DR Danise's trip to NYC or to see Michael Ball?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2004, 10:44:38 AM »

Favourite docs...

SALESMAN...by the Mayles Bros.
SHERMAN'S MARCH
CRUMB ( I think that's the title...about the underground comic book artist)
THE CIVIL WAR by Ken Burns
BASEBALL by Ken Burns

Last night we went to see THE TALKING CURE at the Mark Taper.  Okay.  Good to see Harris Yulin working. It was part of The Lovely Wife Julieanne's birthday celebration...her B'day is today!

The food drink concessions at the Music Center are absurd.  A split of champagne, which you can get in most restaurants for $5.50 was eleven dollars. Of course, you can get a whole bottle of decent champagne for under five at Trader Joe's.

My Cincinnati Reds are in town (does anyone else remember when they were caled the Cincinnati Redlegs), playing the Dodgers...I may have to get out there this weekend.

Ben

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2004, 10:46:56 AM »

I believe this is the Michael Ball trip.

I have just slipped in Romance, Romance with the lovely Alison Fraser and the lovely Scott Bakula. I forgot how much I like this show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2004, 10:48:49 AM »

Well, you see, if lovely wife Julieanne were a registered member of this here site we would have known it was her birthday.  Still, we must lift a glass of Diet Coke and wish her the happiest of birthdays - she's swell.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »

Oy. So much American Idol talk.

Sorry for those who don't follow the show. :(

Re: LaToya

I also think that she isn't as exciting a performer as Fantasia or Diana.

But a big thing to me is that she is 25, and a mature woman (with a husband and kids).  The other contestants are teenagers (although fantasia has a baby).  And I think they probably appeal to the teeny bopper voters more.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2004, 10:54:54 AM »

To the Swellegant lovely wife Julieanne - even though we hardly know ye' (at least some of us) a most happy birthday to you!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2004, 10:57:16 AM »

MBarnum and Jennifer -- That is exactly the point I was trying to make.  I don't really care if the quarterback is getting in on with every one of the girls every night, or if he is getting it on with the cameraman, the point is that the program, the network, and the producers are holding it out to the public, that these young women, if they want to win the bachelor's hand and his heart, have to jump in the sack with him.  I have no doubt that nothing actually goes on in the Fantasy Suite, at least not while the cameras are turning, but that is not the message they are presenting to the public.  The message is clear: If a woman wants to win the game, she had better be willing to put out.

But again, my reason for mentioning this at all, was not because such things are going on in the world (we all know that); but rather, the fact that I was offended by it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2004, 11:05:19 AM »

Such a thrill to sit in a theatre and hear my music played for the first time...

Diary of a Scoundrel plays (free!) Sunday (8) and Monday (2 & 8) at The Circle-in-the-Square (Broadway, on W. 50th) and, if you come, you'll be entertained.  The director is the highly-esteemed Moni Yakim and I'm very pleased he put his faith in me, and magnificent violinist Rebecca Lord again this year.   The lead actor had worried that he was taking himself way too seriously in a climactic monologue.  Now that music's added, it's clear to the audience that we're playing this for comedy, given the actor a new-found freedom.

I was also thrilled by the ASCAP workshop last night.  While it wouldn't be kosher to comment on the show written by someone who's integral to the glory of this here site, I'll say that the other work presented received what seemed to me an under-enthusiastic response from the esteemed guest panelists.  Then, Stephen Schwartz came through and saved the day.  What had seemed unworkable to the others had thrilled Schwartz (and myself and much of the audience) with its bold strokes and quirkiness.  And that last-minute vindication made for one of the most satisfying nights I've witnessed there, quality of the show aside.  (Add in the quality of the show, and you have the best evening ever.  At least of the evenings Sondheim's not been on the panel.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2004, 11:05:55 AM »

Oy. So much American Idol talk.

Sorry for those who don't follow the show. :(
Quick, somebody, make a documentary called American Idol: Behind the Scenes so Jennifer can have a favorite documentary!

;D ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2004, 11:08:37 AM »

DR Elmore,
My Heart Is So Full Of You (Liz Callaway) is, in a word (two words), exquisitely arranged.

DR Dan-in-Toronto, thank you for the kind words.  I wanted to use this chance to mention two documentaries I forgot this morning:  THE LINE KING about Al Hirschfield and the Bruce Vilanch film (GET BRUCE maybe?).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2004, 11:12:26 AM »

My Cincinnati Reds are in town (does anyone else remember when they were caled the Cincinnati Redlegs), playing the Dodgers...I may have to get out there this weekend.

I do!  I do!  My mother and Uncle Bud went to every opening day game for years.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2004, 11:12:54 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Come on in, the posting's fine.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2004, 11:14:54 AM »

And Happy Birthday to Julianne, DR CharlesPogue.  I'm preoccupied, and I meant to add it to my post about the Reds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2004, 11:15:04 AM »

They're baaaaaaack.  The Merry Searchers - fourth time this week.  Searching for the same thing.  What do they think we're doing here? Only talking about one subject?  Note to Merry Searchers: No one cares.  Not at this site.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »

Add to our list of documentaries: The Living Sea, presented in IMAX, with narration by Meryl Streep and music by Sting.  A beautiful film, visually stunning, although der Brucer thought that the filmmakers overused the sweeping camera movements, which on an IMAX screen can feel like riding a rollercoaster.

So far, running through the Documentaries list over at DVDPlanet, there seem to be several broad catagories of documentaries available on DVD.

1) Musicians documentaries - concert videos, backstage on concert tour videos, that sort of stuff.

2) Special Interests - everything from Christianity to Aliens.  Sometimes intermingled.

3) IMAX - take the theater experience home with you!  Good luck getting the same feeling on your home screen!

4) Biographies - sports figures, artists, politicians, the usual suspects.

5) Travelogues - including a whole series about riding on trains.

Of course, I've only managed to get through the "A" listings.  On to films starting with the letter "B".
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2004, 11:16:28 AM »

And isn't it funny that every time I mention GUESTS or the Merry Searchers, the GUEST list immediately diminishes by two.  Every single time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2004, 11:17:10 AM »

That's the letter "A", as in "Alley."

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2004, 11:17:54 AM »

Ok, two documentaries that I thought of that I saw was one on the history of the Barbie doll and one on Ragdoll cats. Neither were earth shattering but I found them both interesting...particularly the Barbie one as it showed a vintage Barbie commercial from about 1960 which had Sally Fraser as a sales woman showing two little girls the latest in Barbie fashions! And besides, I love those vintage Barbies!

I am sure I have seen some hard hitting documentaries as well, but I guess I am just more attracted to pop culture...I must think!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2004, 11:19:24 AM »

Note to Merry Searchers: We have better things to post about.  We've moved on, why can't you?

Note to Merry Searchers: Amscray.

Note to hainsies/kimlets: As always, your posts are the chercest on all the Internet.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2004, 11:20:34 AM »

BK, how do you know what the merry searchers are searching for?

Happy birthday to Julianne!  ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2004, 11:23:26 AM »

The most recent documentary to pass before my eyes was right up my alley: My Architect, in which a son makes discoveries about his father by, in part, exploring his architecture and the wise words of the greatest architects alive today.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2004, 11:31:16 AM »

I know because there is a leetle chart which tells me what is being searched for.  We get legitimate searchers all the time.  And then we get the Merry Searchers.  They haven't been here in ages, not until a certain announcement was made.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up