Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AYE, THERE'S THE RULB  (Read 38822 times)

Jennifer

Re:AYE, THERE'S THE RULB
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2004, 11:39:05 AM »

DR S. Woody White: :)

DR TCB: I see what you're saying about the Bachelor.  But I don't know how many viewers think he is having sex or that the girls need to put out.  I know I don't think that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2004, 11:40:57 AM »

Having read my thoughts on the Aileen Wuornos doc, what did you all think of Monster?

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2004, 11:47:26 AM »

I did not see MONSTER. It didn't sound like something I would enjoy.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2004, 11:47:59 AM »

I didn't see Monster although it comes highly recommended by friends of mine who said it was quite good and even though it was one of those huge physical change movies (beautiful girl becomes unbeautiful serial killer) which can almost always grab a nomination if not an award, they felt she really deserved the Oscar.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2004, 11:50:06 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I just tried to email you and it came back as undeliverable!  What the hell?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2004, 11:55:16 AM »

BK, two more tries have come back, and the returned mail says your address has permanent fatal errors.  It sounds lethal!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2004, 11:56:48 AM »

I will probably see MONSTER on DVD, not something I wanted to see on TV.  Really sounded like a Cybill Shepherd tv movie to me - all done up movie style.

Congratulations and break a leg to DR NOEL!  What a thrill it must be to see and hear your project!  

Happy Birthday to DRW Julieanne!

DRMBARNUM that Barbie documentary sounds pretty hard-hitting to me.

There are a couple of documentaries on Criterion DVD's that I enjoy:

On PEEPING TOM there is a documentary about it's screenwriter.  During WWII he worked for the government and composed poems that really passed code - his story tied with the story of the film and its reception was intriguing.

On A NIGHT TO REMEMBER a producer named MacQuitty talked about putting the film together (as a young child he had seen the Titanic launched), there were interviews with Walter Lord, and some very interesting behind the scenes shots from the film.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2004, 12:15:49 PM »

It's okay, elmoore, the mail is also coming to a completely different address.  However, send one of the returned e-mails back to me at haineshisway@aol.com, so I can forward it to the host.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2004, 12:38:20 PM »

Isn't techonology wonderful?

Oh yes yes yes....and it will be even better when we get electricity!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2004, 12:43:52 PM »

Weird to see so few posts on a Thursday.  Is it some holiday we don't know about.  Maybe Thursday the 13th?

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2004, 12:48:21 PM »

Tony picks prove: lots to love
A carefully drawn list reflects a thankfully busy Broadway season

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/stage/ny-etlede3798107may13,0,3122911.column?coll=ny-theater-bigpix
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 12:49:13 PM by Jennifer »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2004, 12:51:58 PM »

Having read my thoughts on the Aileen Wuornos doc, what did you all think of Monster?

I disliked it very much.  Charlize Theron might have been giving some kind of performance there, but she was completely undermined by a director who saw to it that every one of her scenes led up to a "big acting moment" in which Theron was always smack dab center screen.  The screenplay is clunky, too.  First we're supposed to feel sorry for Theron's character, then horrified by her, then sorry for her, then horrified by her, etc., and in the end, I found that I couldn't care less about her.  I'm mystified by the critical praise Theron received for this.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2004, 12:53:24 PM »

Page Six:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix_u.htm

Does anyone know who they are talking about here?:

"WHICH box-office hero is so smitten with the lush leading lady of his next picture that observers liken him to a puppy nipping at her heels - and other parts? Meanwhile, his wife can't figure out why he's been so distracted lately. Hollywood insiders expect the whole thing to bust open later this week when the lovebirds will be in Cannes at the same time for different movies."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2004, 12:55:52 PM »

I have to agree that the PERCEPTION of what LaToya said and her laid back attitude about everything to do with the show worked against her. In this case, I think the audience wants to see someone REALLY want to win. She didn't exude that.

Well, it's all armchair quarterbacking at this point, isn't it.

To me, LaToya -- moreso than ANY OTHER contestant -- exuded the desire to impress and win each time she took command of the stage...ALWAYS attired appropriately (and Fantasia and Jasmine can NEVER be accused of dressing well), and looking every inch an "American Idol."  She may not have made the best song choices, but she executed them beautifully.  That's not something someone would do if they didn't care about winning.  To suggest that she didn't care -- or that her remarks made her seem not to care -- seems wrong somehow.

If folks are going to be THAT touchy, she's well rid of the competition.  She's better than all that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 01:02:10 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2004, 12:57:28 PM »

NY Post: Michael Riedel: Hugh Jackman: Straight Man:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05122004/entertainment/20647.htm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2004, 01:03:34 PM »

Page Six:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix_u.htm

Does anyone know who they are talking about here?:

"WHICH box-office hero is so smitten with the lush leading lady of his next picture that observers liken him to a puppy nipping at her heels - and other parts? Meanwhile, his wife can't figure out why he's been so distracted lately. Hollywood insiders expect the whole thing to bust open later this week when the lovebirds will be in Cannes at the same time for different movies."

DRJennifer, my guess is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie; about 30 minutes ago I heard a blurb aboout them being at Cannes, and there seems to be a rumor going around about some triangle between them and Jennifer Anniston.  How did you miss this trash?

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2004, 01:03:39 PM »

DR RLP: I agree that LaToya always looked classy.  She was by far the best dressed.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2004, 01:12:01 PM »

DRJennifer, my guess is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie; about 30 minutes ago I heard a blurb aboout them being at Cannes, and there seems to be a rumor going around about some triangle between them and Jennifer Anniston.  How did you miss this trash?

Thanks. I hope it's just a rumor, as I really like Brad and Jennifer as a couple.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2004, 01:17:18 PM »

I think you're right about Brad and Angelina, DRELMORE, and I only read such stuff casually....but it was obvious to me.

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2004, 01:19:05 PM »

Just for now!

Happy birthday fo the Lovely Wife! Cheers!

MONSTER. I saw it recently and i can't wait to read BK's opinion.
One of the most powerful and disturbing movie i've ever seen! It sure does not look like the traditional Hollywood movie and it(s much more than an actress performance for the physical transformation!
Folks, I do believe that we need to watch Charlize in the future. She's quite an actress, oh yes, and she deserves all the warads she got, IMHO. Terrific and mesmerizing! The script is good, the direction is efficient and all the acting top rate!

More later!

Oh, one little documentary I recommand is "Frank & Ollie", dedicated to two legendary Disney animators (1995).

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2004, 01:30:40 PM »

Here's a nice HHW story.

The other day we were talking about fairy tales and Peter Pan. I was going to write that I once knew the "longest-running Nana." This was Eric Carr, the late friend of a close friend of mine named Lynne.

When I first met Eric, he told me the story of his career as Nana. He was a most colorful character with a fascinating background, and I wrote to To Tell The Truth (yes, this was quite awhile ago), certain that Eric, with his English accent and wonderful stories, would make a delightful contestant. (It never happened.)

In getting my facts organized for my HHW post (which also never happened), Google took me to the site of the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity - which has a terrific photo gallery of Peter Pan through the ages. And in the gallery was a picture of Eric/Nana.

I sent the picture to my friend Lynne - she and Eric were extremely close. She had never seen a picture of Eric as Nana, and she was moved to tears.

Here's the site: www.gosh.org/about_us/peterpan/photo_gallery.html

Along with Nana are photos of various Peter Pans - Margaret Lockwood, Joan Greenwood (Eric's production), and Phyllis Calvert.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2004, 01:35:44 PM »

I find it very strange that all of the pictures, I have seen, of the naked Iraqi prisoners (except one) have been carefully blurred to prevent us from seeing any private portions of the prisoner's anatomy.  However, at the same, there are several sites on the internet where you can go and see Nick Berg actually being beheaded.  What kind of sick logic is that?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2004, 01:43:51 PM »

I've been to Reno; I've been to Beverly Hills.... but I'm here.

Favorite Documentaries:  
In Search of the Titanic
The making of the Company Album
Light and Darkness ( that great documentary on cinematographers)

Hope all is well with all two and four-legged creatures.  It's going to take me awhile to catch up.   Can anyone fill me in on the last few weeks in a paragraph or two?
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2004, 01:49:08 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Another hot day here in the metro D.C. area... And it was another hot day in Ford's Theatre.  I'm sooo glad we don't have to wear formal blacks for this show (tuxedo).  Just as long as the shirt - even t-shirt - is black, and the pants (or jeans) are black, that's all the matters.

So, I've just had some pretty decent Chicken Tikka - from a box (frozen)!.  Very tasty, and a nice portion.

And now I think I will take a nap.. Or not...

DR Kerry - As for what's been happening on here the past few weeks.... EVERYTHING!!!!  -Oh, I did get pretty sick, but I'm much better now. ;)  Yadda, yadda, yadda...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2004, 01:50:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Another hot day here in the metro D.C. area... And it was another hot day in Ford's Theatre.  

"Someone oughta open up a window...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2004, 01:54:51 PM »

Hope all is well with all two and four-legged creatures.  It's going to take me awhile to catch up.   Can anyone fill me in on the last few weeks in a paragraph or two?

We have kept the home fries burning!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Dear Friend BK, did I send you what you requested about undeliverable mail?

DR TCB, aren't you aware the American Way of Life is that genitalia and bared breasts are bad but violence and bloodshed are good.  It seems to be promoted everywhere; how did you miss it?  We have a shoot-em-up, bring in the cavalry and screw up the economy president, and clearly a lot of his voters support my theory.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »

Oh, I know I'll hear about this last post!

Robin

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2004, 02:36:27 PM »

Some of my favorite documentaries:

Roger & Me
Bowling for Columbine
Cane Toads: An Unnatural History
.  Seriously, you gotta see this to believe it.  And then, you still might not believe it.  When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke.  But it's not.
Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie
The Revolution Will Not be Televised
Penn and Teller: Bullshit!
.  Yes, they're documentaries, and yes, I love 'em...!
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control
The Fog of War
Company
Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 02:38:18 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »

I have no comment on American Idol or documentaries.

This morning I went for a walk at the riparian preserve, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up