Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEATRE ARTS  (Read 34892 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THEATRE ARTS
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »

THE LAND OF THE PAINTED CAVES will be published on March 29th.  This is the 6th book in the Earth's Children series (CLAN OF THE CAVE BEARS).

I was beginning to think it would never happen ;D  I hope it is worth the wait.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »

THE LAND OF THE PAINTED CAVES will be published on March 29th.  This is the 6th book in the Earth's Children series (CLAN OF THE CAVE BEARS).

I was hoping it never would. Her books are god-awful! ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »

I suggest a frenzy or three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »

Just finished an excellent motion picture on Blu and Ray and may start another.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »

Somehow I never imagined Larry hanging out with ukelele-ists.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »

My neck is very stiff from sitting at the computer.

I don't think I would ever leave at intermission!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »

I think the worst Christmas movie I have ever seen is ONE MAGIC CHRISTMAS.  After watching that movie, I wanted to go out and hang myself; but I figured that might cheer me up.
Is that one with Mary Steenburgen as big ball of hate? I can see that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »

I was hoping it never would. Her books are god-awful! ;D
I agree with Elmore on this one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »

Just back from a mediocre performance of the San Antonio Symphony performing Handel's "Messiah." The orchestra was good, but the chorus couldn't enunciate the words. "Glory to Gaw in the highes and peace on ur to meh." Meh.

Instead of an alto, there was a countertenor and the audience, in a large Baptist church with beautiful acoustics, wasn't ready to hear a man do the part.

Then they cut the Lent portion and my favorite part of the piece. No "He was despise-d ..."

I want my money back.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »

I have wanted to leave at intermission several times. But I stuck it out hoping it would get better. It generally didn't.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Vincent

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »

I have wanted to leave at intermission several times. But I stuck it out hoping it would get better. It generally didn't.

I almost left during intermission once, accidentally. It was Into the Woods and I thought it was over. I had waked out of the auditorium and almost to my car before it occurred to me to wonder why no one else was going to their cars. So I hurried back in.

The Guthrie put on a production of By the Skin of our Teeth many years ago that I absolutely loved, and that I saw many, many times, but one of my amusements during intermission was to count the number of people walking out. It varied from a dozen to once -- almost half the house.

I'm not drunk. I'm from Texas.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »

Just back from a mediocre performance of the San Antonio Symphony performing Handel's "Messiah." The orchestra was good, but the chorus couldn't enunciate the words. "Glory to Gaw in the highes and peace on ur to meh." Meh.

Instead of an alto, there was a countertenor and the audience, in a large Baptist church with beautiful acoustics, wasn't ready to hear a man do the part.

Few are. The countertenor is an acquired taste and the talenyt has to be enormous for me to appreciate it.

I much prefer PDQ Bach's bargaincountertenor.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »

Managed to listen to   The Brian Setzer Orchestra Boogie Woogie Christmas, An Austin Rhythm and Blue Christmas,
and a couple hours of the radio.

And then listened to A Bridge Too Far.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »

I almost left during intermission once, accidentally. It was Into the Woods and I thought it was over. I had waked out of the auditorium and almost to my car before it occurred to me to wonder why no one else was going to their cars. So I hurried back in.

I'm always happy to walk out of INTO THE WOODS; I dislike too much of it.

Sam

« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »

The landlord decided to redo some of the dirt area in the front yard a few days ago, what was to be an hour project ended up taking 3 full days of manual labor for the gardner.   Now I have no grass (which is ok, it keeps the other gardner who likes to butcher everything down to nothing left,  out of the yard forever) and was replaced with stepping stones, a lot of stepping stones.  Very good for less water.  And I can now have all the potted plants I want.

After that I cleaned everything outside, put up my fake pine garland and wreaths on the picket fence, and then added real pinecones.  Looks darn good.  

Sam

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »

It's raining really hard outside.  And it's really cold.

Time to get under the cover and go to sleep.

Happy Monday everyone, cheers and all good stuff for the week.    :) ;)

Sam

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

I keep forgetting to mention that  I had a really good time at the Gardenia last week.  The show was just outstanding again.

Looking forward to the next time.  ;D

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

Horses for courses... we love it
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Sam

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »

I bounced my digital camera off the kitchen wooden floor a couple of weeks ago and it looks like the rapair guy is going to say it's not worth fixing.  Will find out this week.   Stupid, stupid, me.  I did not think wood floors could do that much damage.  Stupid me.  :-[

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »

Laura - how did you answer Wae- Ling?

John G.

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »

I saw an early preview of "Into the Woods" and loved it, except for a song in the second act called something like "Boom, Crunch." I then saw it the weekend it opened and the entire second act had changed story and tone, though most of the songs were the same. ("Boom, Crunch" had been replaced by "Last Midnight.") I didn't like it anywhere near as much.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »

I bounced my digital camera off the kitchen wooden floor a couple of weeks ago and it looks like the rapair guy is going to say it's not worth fixing.  Will find out this week.   Stupid, stupid, me.  I did not think wood floors could do that much damage.  Stupid me.  :-[

I ran my digital camera over  with my van a couple of weeks ago--- I was able to replace it with the identical model by shopping on ebay -- at about a fifth iof the cost of the original

John G.

« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

I just got a Flip cam a week ago for about $100.
― Voltaire

Sam

« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »

I walked out of 2 shows in the 70's.

Rod Stewart wearing spandex on stage, = Yuck.

Devo was so loud I thought my head would explode,  (I was young and should have stayed, but my head was about to explode).

That's it.

Sam

« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »

I saw digital cameras at Target for less than 50 bucks. The one I found in my dad's stuff was supposed to be a really really good one.

Oh well, it looked to me like it just bounced.

Now really good night.

Sam

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »

The speaker at the astronomy club dinner was really good.  Now I know why I liked taking the kid to JPL's open house all the time.  If I had to have a crush on a group in particular, it would be the science geeks.  ;D

Now really good night.

Sam

« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »

MEGA VIBES  8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »

I will admit to walking out of several shows at the Pasadena Playhouse - the last time it was Sister Act.  I hope it's gotten better on its journey.  If I've been seen and I know people involved, then it's REALLY hard to escape.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »

I have been doing theater now for the past 55 years, and I am just now getting used to people leaving a play or musical at Intermission.  I used to take it personally, but it seems that some people just leave shows, regardless of the quality of the production.  Sometimes  the play is longer than they expected, sometimes they aren't feeling well, and sometimes they got to see who they came to see, and figure there is no other reason to stay and watch a live theater production.

We leave because we can't stay awake any longer.

Even at a matinee?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up