Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES  (Read 45306 times)

FJL

Re: IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES, IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

And The Times had an article that injuries were common in many musicals.  Something about the $65-million, Bono, Riedel and the coemdy shows are combining to make this seems less common than it apparently is in big musicals.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/another-actor-speaks-of-spider-man-injuries/

OCTOBER 29, 2010, 4:10 PM
Another Actor Speaks of ‘Spider-Man’ Injuries

By PATRICK HEALY
6:12 p.m. | Updated

>>>>>>>

A spokesman for the “Spider-Man” musical said the actor in question had broken a toe.

The injured actor added, “I can’t believe this is such big news lol” — a sentiment that was echoed in several e-mails, solicited and otherwise, from Broadway dancers and performers on Friday as media reports spread about Mr. Aubin’s injuries. The e-mails described an array of broken ankles, legs, fingers, and arms in musicals like “Mary Poppins,” “The Lion King” and “Wicked” that involve extensive dance and movement and, in some cases, special effects.

One actor, Adrian Bailey, filed a lawsuit against Disney and others in 2008 after falling through a trap door before a performance of “The Little Mermaid” and suffering fractured wrists, a broken back, a shattered pelvis and several injuries. Mr. Bailey alleged that there were inadequate warnings and safety devices to protect performers. The litigation remains ongoing.

<<<<<<<<

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »

Does anybody else think that the Ronni Chasen murder is getting a bit strange?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/12/09/skeptical-ronni-chasen-murder-robbery-gone-wrong/
Truly bizarre.

You got that right!

I ran this by a friend, who is a high-ranking police officer in a major city (not in CA).  His reaction:

"Not buying the robbery thing - You take spent shell cases but not the money?  Hmmmmmmmmmm "
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »

And at WICKED - and that was well into the run, the day before Idina Menzel was supposed to have her last performance

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/01-2005/midperformance-injury-sidelines-wicked-star-idina_5516.html

I have no friends involved in SPIDER-MAN but it does seem that the reporting has been greater on the injuries.

Injuries happen in all shows.  Sometimes they're flukes - like what happened to Karen Olivo during West Side Story. Other times they're truly unfortunate accidents.  And, yes, Spider-Man is under much closer scrutiny than for the possibility of accidents than anything else.

However, I think due to the number of flying effects and other potential dangerous stunts, some of the coverage is warranted(?).  It's a case of the show being a victim of it's own hype and publicity, I guess. There is also the possibility of audience members getting injured since there are fight and flying sequences taking place over the orchestra section, and I think that's also a source of the "concern".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »

One actor, Adrian Bailey, filed a lawsuit against Disney and others in 2008 after falling through a trap door before a performance of “The Little Mermaid” and suffering fractured wrists, a broken back, a shattered pelvis and several injuries. Mr. Bailey alleged that there were inadequate warnings and safety devices to protect performers. The litigation remains ongoing.

<<<<<<<<

And Adrian Bailey made a very triumphant and moving appearance during the Gypsy Robe Tribute during the Gypsy of the Year Competition. And since it was being held on the stage of the New Amsterdam where Disney's Mary Poppins is playing, the extra "layer" to that statement did not go unnoticed.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

...And there are the beer bottles and chairs falling into the pit during Les Miserables.

...And actors too every now and then. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »

Eeek...

And then there was that horrible accident during the Kennedy Center run of Sweeney Todd - the tour - although, I believe it happened during the previews... Angelina Reaux was playing the Beggar Woman.  She's in the barber chair, she gets her throat slashed, he pulls the lever, the trap door opens, the chair turns into the slide, she starts to slide... then the trap door closes too early on her ankles... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2010, 02:00:41 PM »

So...

Any more quotes from The Music Man?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »

Hope there are no accidents with that Wells fargo Wagon!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »

Eeek...

And then there was that horrible accident during the Kennedy Center run of Sweeney Todd - the tour - although, I believe it happened during the previews... Angelina Reaux was playing the Beggar Woman.  She's in the barber chair, she gets her throat slashed, he pulls the lever, the trap door opens, the chair turns into the slide, she starts to slide... then the trap door closes too early on her ankles... :-\

I think Angelina's injury happened during previews at the Uris on 1979.

Mary Martin in SOUTH PACIFIC cartwheeled into the pit during rehearsal and knocked Trude Rittmann out. For an opening night gift, Martin gave Trude a football helmet.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »

DR FJL, you seem awfully protective of SPIDERMAN; do you have freinds involved with it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

I love the Jeanette MacDonald movie Smilin' Through about couples who meet and miss each other during time....it is most enjoyable....in color....and makes me cry each time I watch it.

Yes DR MBARNUM you have a DVD of my starring performance in NEVER TOO LATE from Putnam County Playhouse last September!  Watch it if you dare.

SMILIN' THROUGH was made into a Vincent Youmans floperetta "Through the Years," but the score is quite wonderful.
I love that score, even the way Ben Bagley recorded some of the songs.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »

Eeek...

I thought Merle Louise was - and always was - the original Beggar Woman.

I also remember Walter Charles telling us the story when we were teching Sweeney during the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center. Needless to say, there were extra stagehands on hand to make sure things ran smoothly when they tested the chair.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »

Hope there are no accidents with that Wells fargo Wagon!!!!

;D

LOL!!!

-I guess that line was cut in previews.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »

Naturally, if Oprah's going to choose someone dead like Dickens, there must be a YouTube parody about it.

As living authors turn all holiday-green with envy, Oprah Winfrey selects two Dickens novels (Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations) as her 65th Book Club selection. 

We gently parody the selection through a number from perhaps the most famous Dickens musical.

AS LONG AS SHE READS ME - featuring the vocal stylings of Charles Dickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBeWfW-tYY

Very, very funny.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

Yes DR MBARNUM you have a DVD of my starring performance in NEVER TOO LATE from Putnam County Playhouse last September!  Watch it if you dare.

Oh good! This will be fun! I keep thinking that if I ever win the lottery I will just surpise you and show up at one of your plays...this is the next best thing!

John G.

« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »

Ugh... I just got sick to my stomach reading a report that the Westboro Baptist Church will be picketing at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral...

That congregation should be euthanized on grounds of terminal assholism.

I know it's in the spirit of "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth", but I wonder if anyone pickets the funerals of members of the Westboro Baptist Church?
They are no more representative of real followers of Christ than that minister who wanted to burn the Koran. Unfortunately, they get press because of their outrageous acts of uncharitable behavior.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

Eeek...

Mary Martin in SOUTH PACIFIC cartwheeled into the pit during rehearsal and knocked Trude Rittmann out. For an opening night gift, Martin gave Trude a football helmet.

Hmm, DR Elmore, don't we know someone else who took a nose dive into the pit during dress rehearsal?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »

When FJL likes a show he will defend it and be protective of it until the cows come home - does he know someone involved?  That I do not know.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

My eye exam today revealed no problems, but the need for a new prescription, so I spent an obscene amount of money on new lenses for my regular glasses and an entire new set of sunglasses.  Haven't even picked out the reading glasses yet, but will get a "deal" on those.  I should get them free...

Slept for a couple of hours, but my vision is still kind of blurry.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:51:20 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »

Naturally, if Oprah's going to choose someone dead like Dickens, there must be a YouTube parody about it.

As living authors turn all holiday-green with envy, Oprah Winfrey selects two Dickens novels (Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations) as her 65th Book Club selection. 

We gently parody the selection through a number from perhaps the most famous Dickens musical.

I'll have to check this out when I get home tonight...YouTube doesn't seem to work for me, here at work. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »

As a librarian and Oprah-fan, I love this, DR FJL!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2010, 03:05:47 PM »

Eeek...

I thought Merle Louise was - and always was - the original Beggar Woman.

I also remember Walter Charles telling us the story when we were teching Sweeney during the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center. Needless to say, there were extra stagehands on hand to make sure things ran smoothly when they tested the chair.

You're right about Merle Louise. Angelina was in the original ensemble when it happened, not playing the Beggar woman.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

Eeek...

Hmm, DR Elmore, don't we know someone else who took a nose dive into the pit during dress rehearsal?

We do?

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

Eeek...

We do?

Moi - as Lucy...

John G.

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »

When FJL likes a show he will defend it and be protective of it until the cows come home - does he know someone involved?  That I do not know.
Don't we all do that with the shows -- or books, food, etc. -- that we like for whatever reason? Some of us are more vocal, but we do stick with what moves us. Nothing wrong with that.

DR Matthew once wrote that he knew there was a lot of anti-Lloyd Webber sentiments on this site, but he loves "Sunset Blvd." among other shows and that's great. It had to help when he took over the production he was involved in. 

I used to knock people who told me they went to certain restaurants with terrible food because the service was good. That was the most important aspect of dining to them. Now that I've experienced abysmal service, I understand where they're coming from, even if I don't agree.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »

Sorry for getting preachy. I've done too much rote work and it's made me antsy and punchy and a little bleary. Glad I'm off to a party in a few minutes.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

I will defend ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE until I breath my last.  8)

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »

That calls for an ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE page 4 dance!

(2 of the people in this photo are dear friends of mine, I am proud to say)

Vincent

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:52 PM »

I know it's in the spirit of "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth", but I wonder if anyone pickets the funerals of members of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I like that idea.  Someone should put together an organization to do that very thing, and serve 'em right.
I'm not drunk. I'm from Texas.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2010, 04:03:57 PM »

Eeek...

We do?

Moi - as Lucy...

I have absolutely no memory of that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up