Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE  (Read 34472 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE
« on: May 15, 2004, 12:01:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've discovered the treasures therein, you know the drill, you know the routine, you know the deal, so let's get crackin', shall we?  We shall.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 11:56:56 PM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 12:12:51 AM »

elmore, how interesting your desire to see a more comprehensive coverage of the Trojan War.  

Twenty-odd years ago...when I was first getting a foothold in this business, I wrote a 176-page almost scene-for-scene bible for a eight to ten hour mini-series on The Trojan War that began with Paris' birth to when the Greeks sacked Troy and began their returns.  

Had that series gone, I would have liked to have done one that dealt with just the returns.  As it was, I researched the myths and the myths behind the myths and the variant myths and all the classical interpretations of the myths... Shakespeare, Chaucer, the Greek Playwrights, etc. and did not just based my story on the Illiad alone.  The piece opened a lot of doors for me and several people like David Wolper's company and a couple of directors flirted with the property, but nothing ever came of it.  The last few years, I've played around with the idea of doing it as a massive Nickolas Nickleby type-play and as an epic novel.  The novel is definitely in the works.  I may do it the play version too.  So soon one day, you'll have your wish.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 12:13:11 AM »

Good evening all
I saw a puppet opera tonight.  Very fun performances.  Early music singers and musicians sat on either side of the puppet stage and sang/played for the characters.  The pupperty was masterfully done, beautiful carved marionettes.  Amazing how lifelike the the movements of the puppets can seem.  All in all a great show of a little-known art form.

I too am about to officially graduate...with the cap and gown and tassel and boring speeches and everything.  This Sunday at 2 pm.  Hoo and ray.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 12:16:08 AM »

I'm shutting off the old computer. Not ready for beddy yet -- have a toothache. Will wander around the house aching for a while - chat with the dog (maybe not - he's asleep). G'night.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:19:14 AM »

Just read your post, Ann. Congrats on the graduation!
RE puppetry - My cousin in Budapest is the artistic director of a puppet theater. They do plays (not for kids), operas, everything with puppets.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 12:21:21 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 12:22:33 AM »

Good evening all
I saw a puppet opera tonight.  Very fun performances.  Early music singers and musicians sat on either side of the puppet stage and sang/played for the characters.  The pupperty was masterfully done, beautiful carved marionettes.  Amazing how lifelike the the movements of the puppets can seem.  All in all a great show of a little-known art form.

I too am about to officially graduate...with the cap and gown and tassel and boring speeches and everything.  This Sunday at 2 pm.  Hoo and ray.

Jed corrects me...I "officially" graduated when I finished my last semester in December.  But it somehow FEELS more official now that I'm going through actual commencement ceremony.  

Happy now, Jed?? :)

Jed

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 12:25:06 AM »

Yup. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 12:26:09 AM »

I shall be consistent with what I  suspect I wrote for this topic last time around.
My prized Lps are my Anthony Newley collection.
I would also like to see the release of "Golden Piano Hits" by Ferrante & Teicher. Quite a few of the others by the duo have been released now.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 12:26:10 AM »

I have several beloved LPs that haven't made it to CD yet, including the already mentioned English version of The Young Girls of Rochefort, a fantastic album of Larry Adler, the harmonica player, doing classical harmonica concerti by Vaughan-Williams, Arthur Benjamin, Malcolm Arnold and someone else I can't remember, the Gold and Fizdale performance of Dave Brubeck's Points on Jazz (one of the great unknown albums), Betty Hutton's Saints and Sinners, conducted by Jerry Fielding, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 12:29:56 AM »

A few soundtracks, too, like Richard Rodney Bennett's wonderful scores for Billion Dollar Brain and Yanks, David Shire's The Promise, Previn's Inside Daisy Clover and Dead Ringer (available on a bootleg CD, but we want the real deal please), George Duning's great The Devil at Four O'Clock and Bell, Book, and Candle, the Polydor Rozsa albums, etc.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 04:58:30 AM »

Congrats Ann!

Hmmm have fun in Sierra Madre - I am sure there are treasures to be had.  And we look forward to stories from the High School Reunion as well.

Last time we did what LP's we want on CD, I found out that some of the ones I wanted ARE on CD....hmmmmmmmm.  I will have to look around.

I have a Young Girls LP that I got for fifty cents in a CutOut bin, I will have to see if I can find it.  Although it seems to me it is the French language version....I can't remember!

I also vote for DEAD RINGER and INSIDE DAISY CLOVER on CD!  One of my favorites Previn scores FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE was released last year!

Saturday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 04:59:13 AM »

DR Michael Shayne - if you check the painting of the Lake in yesterday's notes - Tekapo is near Mt Cook. The lake is the most amazing blue - glacial waters from the Tasman glacier I think. I think the hobbits go to the Church pictured.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 05:07:29 AM »

I shall be consistent with what I  suspect I wrote for this topic last time around.
My prized Lps are my Anthony Newley collection.
I would also like to see the release of "Golden Piano Hits" by Ferrante & Teicher. Quite a few of the others by the duo have been released now.

I am sure our very own Allison Fraiser would love to talk to you about your Anthony Newley collection.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 05:10:05 AM »

DR Michael Shayne - if you check the painting of the Lake in yesterday's notes - Tekapo is near Mt Cook. The lake is the most amazing blue - glacial waters from the Tasman glacier I think. I think the hobbits go to the Church pictured.

Thanks for the beautiful picture. I spent a part of the evening   looking at various sights that offer various vacations.  I am looking at the ones that take you from Auckland to Christchurch that run 10 to 12 days. There are quite a few of them.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 05:18:12 AM »

When I was in Montreal I went through my LP collection in my parent's basement and actuallly took some back with me. If I ever figure out how to hook up my new system with all the various burners and players I will make copies for me and the various DR I promised copies to.

I brought four with me this time and they are:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Baker Street
The owl and the pussycat (dialogue highlights and music)
Julie Andrews' Love Me Tender (The NA release. I understand the European release had more tracks)

But there are not alot of other LPS I have that yet to make it to CD. The stack gets smaller and smaller.

But I do love my LP of Stages. I mourn the fact that the original masters no longer exist as I would love a proper cd of it.
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 05:44:14 AM »

My LP of Baker Street warped into non-playability years ago, so I'd love a CD of that.  And I used to have an LP of a string quintet by Leonard Rosenman that I loved and lost.  (Note to self: never loan your most beloved LPs to one-night stands.  You'll never see either of them again.)

And of course, I'd simply adore CD re-issues of Pat Suzuki's LPs, especially "Broadway '59".  There is a compilation CD, The Very Best of Pat Suzuki, but I want all of her.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 05:53:17 AM »

I will be E&T for a big chunk of today as I'm helping a friend clear out his storage locker and taking the items to a consignment shop. I'd hope it will only take up the morning, but I have no idea how much he's got there in storage.

Favorite LP not on CD: the Bette Davis revue TWO'S COMPANY. I also mentioned before that I have an RCA LP called STARS OF THE SILVER SCREEN 1929-1930 which features studio recordings of songs from the early years of talkies made by the stars themselves so you have Gloria Swanson doing "Love, Your Magic Spell is Everywhere" and Everett Marshall doing "Mr. and Mrs. Sippi." I adore this LP as we get complete renditions of songs and not just snippets, the complete Fanny Brice "Cookin' Breakfast for the One I Love" uninterrupted by dialogue as it is in the film.

And I, too, would love to see BAKER STREET even with its mediocre score.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 05:56:58 AM »

When I finally get back home, I have no clue what DVDs I'll want to watch. I'm thinking one of the Kettle movies, but my thoughts could change after a long morning of loading and unloading sofas and entertainment centers.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 06:53:01 AM »

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is available on a French import CD and it sounds great.  Footlight probably has it.  Warners France released several terrific sixties soundtracks, all of which are worth getting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 07:10:23 AM »

Sorry if we've done this topic recently - couldn't remember.  Still, I like it, and it's always interesting to see new answers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 07:16:55 AM »

Oh it's been awhile....LOL

And there are always new choices.

I would like the BILLIE soundtrack on CD, some of the songs were on Patty Duke's CD, but not the Dominic Frontiere score.  \

And is the BONJOUR TRISTESSE score available on CD?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 07:19:30 AM by JRand53 »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 07:29:40 AM »

BK - If the new notes were posted at Midnight PDT and you had to hurry to get out of the way of the evil eye, what time does she come to clean?

I've loved "Young Girls" since I first saw it in 1968.  I remember dancing out of the theatre.  I've never seen the English dubbed version, although if it is anything like the English dubbed version of "Umbrellas", I'll skip it if the opportunity comes.

A very busy weekend...

This afternoon - A concert at the Mueseum of the City of New York feraturing songs about New York.  Phyllis Newman Green stars and it's put together and directed by Michael Montel who has done several of the better Musicals in Mufti

Tonight - JAVE A HEART, the first Kern-Wodehouse musical, at Musicals Tonight

Tomorrow Afternoon - Highlights from Tony Broadcasts Part 1 at the Museum of Television and Radio - 90 minutes of musical numbers from the Cohen years to be followed next week by another 90 minutes

Tomorrow evening - The original "Godzilla" with subtitles instead of dubbing, all the anti-American scenes restored and no Raymond Burr

Monday night - A reading of a new musical "Heading East" with B. D. Wong

No wonder I never have time to watch any DVDs.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 08:05:03 AM »

Love the original Godzilla - have had it on tape for years (transferred to DVD recently).  

Even thought I write the notes before midnight, I pretend that I'm writing them in the morning.  Isn't that marvy.

The English dub on Young Girls is nowhere near the horrendous English dub on Umbrellas, which I've only seen once (it's rarely, if ever, shown - this was on local TV about twenty years ago).

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 08:05:17 AM »

The one LP that I have, which I have listended to since I was a child, is LEVANT PLAYS GERSHWIN: Rhapsody in Blue, Concerto in F, and An American in Paris.

There is a CD titled Levant Plays Gershwin and it it has Rhapsody in Blue and Concerto in F, but no An American in Paris?!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 08:05:33 AM »

WEL - you are going to one of my FAVORITE places in NYC and one of its best kept secrets:  Museum of the City of New York!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 08:08:09 AM »

MBARNUM thanks so much for the video.  More WB!

And these episodes were great.  Troy Donahue as Starr Bright the new parking attendant at 77 Sunset Strip.  Grant Williams solving a case in Hawaiian Eye, although I missed Anthony Eisley.  And Troy Donahue on trial for murder on Surfside 6 - to begin with!

And featured in one of the episodes Miss Joan Marshall aka Joan Arless who played the double role in Homicidal!  

Thanks....and I will listen to the Cd today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 08:09:33 AM »

Oh and Richard Crane had some great scenes in particular in one of the Surfside 6 episodes, he is on the phone to Lee Patterson, and he says: "I am on my way to the Flamigo Motel."  Patterson says: "Can I come with you?"  "Sure, I'll pick you up."  What's up with that??

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 08:13:37 AM »

elmore, how interesting your desire to see a more comprehensive coverage of the Trojan War.  

Twenty-odd years ago...when I was first getting a foothold in this business, I wrote a 176-page almost scene-for-scene bible for a eight to ten hour mini-series on The Trojan War that began with Paris' birth to when the Greeks sacked Troy and began their returns.  

Well, God knows you could do it!  And didn't John Barton put together for the Royal Shakespeare Company from all the extant Greek tragedies?  A major problem is the chronology:

1.  The whole thing begins with Eris, the golden apple, and the marriage of Peleus and Thetis, Achilles' parents, so if Paris is a young shepherd on Mt Ida this very same day, Achilles is either a young bastard or a not-yet-born infant!  We do know that Telemachus, Odysseus' son is no more than a year old, maybe not even born, at the time the Ithacans joined the War, because he's a young man when Odysseus returns after 10 years at war and 10 years on the road!

2.  Is it a 10-year war by our contemporary dating system or a looser period of fewer months, such as the 1000-year-old Methuselah?  My biggest problem with TROY as a movie is that the filmmakers have no problem with the violence of battle, but no interest in the violence cause by the Greeks to the area, the raping and pillaging of neighboring territories to maintain their existence outside Troy.  Also, several important characters die far much earlier than any legend says.  And I always wondered, how did a walled city sustain itself for such a long siege?

3.  How to deal with the supernatural?  Like A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, the human world is reflected in the supernatural one, with gods and goddesses taking sides, picking favorites, bribing and cajoling aliances: the War was so epic that all worlds known to the Greeks were involved in it.  I would prefer nothing like the gods in CLASH OF THE TITANS or  JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, but I miss having the deities involved in some way, such as Thetis' involvement with forging Achilles' armor, Aphrodite saving Paris in his battle with Menelaos, Hera seducing Zeus (that's just low humor in the ILIAD but the War wasn't all serious), in the later variants on the story, since the ILIAD only covers one section of time in the War:  Achilles' snit and the death of Hector, we've got Artemis, a Trojan ally, driving Ajax mad, besides supposedly saving Iphigeneia from sacrifice.

Incidentally, there's a new novel about Iphigeneia's sacrifice, THE SONG OF THE KINGS, by Barry Unsworth, which I enjoyed immensely.

And also, DR CharlesPogue, I just got the DVD of SIGN OF FOUR; I know you're not that happy with how it turned out, but I look forward to watching it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 08:14:01 AM »

Oh and Richard Crane had some great scenes in particular in one of the Surfside 6 episodes, he is on the phone to Lee Patterson, and he says: "I am on my way to the Flamigo Motel."  Patterson says: "Can I come with you?"  "Sure, I'll pick you up."  What's up with that??

I would say that Lee Patterson has good taste! LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up