Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE  (Read 34470 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2004, 11:07:32 AM »

...  -Hmm.. since I am staying just a block away from that library... maybe a little nostalgia strip is in order, so...
A little nostalgia STRIP?  A "good Catholic school boy" like yourself?  Clearly, there's more in your resume than you've been telling us, DR Jose!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2004, 11:08:31 AM »

We'll just have to imagine a Gypsy Rose Lee smiley for the page three dance.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2004, 11:08:59 AM »

Would like to have THE MAD SHOW on CD, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »

I hadn't realized that the 1974 Candide wasn't on CD yet.  For some reason, this recording was my introduction to the score, instead of the OCR.  My college roommate at the time loved the novella by Voltaire, and was horrified to learn that someone had tried to make a musical of the work.  (Other than that, he was a fine roommate.)

I would still love to hear "Glitter and Be Gay" sung by Sam Ramey.

::) ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2004, 11:22:11 AM »

DRs Jose and Elmore3003, there is a LEVANT PLAYS GERSHWIN CD out that has the Rhapsody in Blue and Concerto in F, but leaves out the An American in Paris, probably because the latter is performed by Artur Rodzinski (conducting) instead of Levant.

I do have other versions of Rhapsody and American/Paris, but for old time sake I just would love to find this particular album on CD.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2004, 11:22:31 AM »

This topic of LP-CD brings up a wish as well; I swear my CDs of the Columbia-Lenya recordings of DIE DREIGROSCHENOPER and MAHAGONNY don't sound nearly as good as the old vinyls.  Can't they redo them at some point?

Another recording I'd like on CD is the Michael Valenti LOVESONG, which Bruce Yeko released on CD with alternate tracks by Christine Andreas, Judy Kaye, Jason Graae, etc., but it's all done with synthesized new orchestrations, and much as I like Christine's "April Child" I miss Melanie Chartoff's version with the chamber group.

DR MattH, your comment about missing TROY reminds me of a comment Bernstein made about MISS SAIGON:  After 15 minutes I realized there was no music, so I just enjoyed the production.  Besides Mr Bana, there are other good performances and visuals, and even though the screenplay credits THE ILIAD, a lot of the movie is indebted to other sources.  I forgot to mention how beautifully Julie Christie has aged and how nice it was to see a 50+ year-old actress who hasn't had her eyes pulled behind her ears in a desperate effort not to look her age.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2004, 11:23:08 AM »

I would still love to hear "Glitter and Be Gay" sung by Sam Ramey.

I'm afraid his E-flats above high C aren't what they used to be.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2004, 11:25:45 AM »

...how nice it was to see a 50+ year-old actress who hasn't had her eyes pulled behind her ears in a desperate effort not to look her age.

Ah, yes.  The "perpetually astonished" look.  You see a lot of that in the Hills of Beverly.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »

I hadn't realized that the 1974 Candide wasn't on CD yet.  For some reason, this recording was my introduction to the score, instead of the OCR.  

Same here, and I'll readily admit that it's still my favorite recording of the show.

One of the problems with most of the two-disk vinyl recordings (like the 74 Candide)  was that the albums were pressed to accommodate stacking on turntables, so Side 1 and Side 4 were on one disk and Side 2 and Side 3 were on the other.  However, my early album buying days coincided with the arrival of my sister's state-of-the-art stereo and its non-stacking turntable.  Which meant that playing two-disk albums consisted of taking Disk 1 out of its sleeve, playing Side 1, putting Disk 1 back into its sleeve and taking out Disk 2 and playing Side 2 and 3, putting Disk 2 back into its sleeve and then going back to Disk 1 to play the final side.  True, it wasn't that much of an effort, but it seemed to me a waste of time.

Aside from an official release of the above mentioned Candide, Id also like to see CDs of the Public Theatre's Threepenny Opera (w/ Raul Julia), The Last Sweet Days of Isaac, Show Girl, the 76 My Fair Lady, and Berlin to Broadway with Kurt Weill.  I'd also like to have the soundtrack of the RSC's Nicholas Nickleby.

I would also wish for a release of For Colored Girls with all of the pieces in the show.  And a re-release of Over Here with the songs as they sound on the vinyl OCR and not the pop sounding cuts they used on the Sony Broadway CD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2004, 11:59:02 AM »

I'd also like to have the soundtrack of the RSC's Nicholas Nickleby.

DRDan, Nicholas Nickleby is on CD from Jay Records/TER.  Go to amazon.com; they have it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2004, 12:02:05 PM »

Hello One and All and All and One!

I've been horribly errant and truant and today I can't stay but a few minutes (frown). Just wanted to drop by and say ...

1. Just finished reading " 'Tis Herself" by Maureen O'Hara. I recommend it highly. There are several revelations in it about John Ford and a surprising trait of Jimmy Stewart's. She tells of the gypsy woman who predicted her future and her horrible luck with husbands (including her last one who was the love of her life and who dies in an "accident" under mysterious circumstances). Did you know she was up for "The King & I" and "My Fair Lady?" Wouldn't she have been terrific in both.

2. Feinstein's at The Cinegrill here in Hollywood has reverted back to its original name, The Cinegrill. Michael is no longer associated with it. June 8 will be the grand re-opening and Cabaret West will host the evening to introduce the new management. There will be entertainment (Jason Graae is set to perform) and refreshments will be served. Read all about it on the Cabaret West website at http://www.cabaretwest.org.

Will try to pop in more often.

Take care of yourselves!
--Donna

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2004, 12:15:05 PM »

Dear reader RPL,

There's a place near here that has Onion Soup for 8 euros, but they don't serve at 5:30 am. No way!
8 euros?! Oh mon dieu! just for onions that make one fart! :-\
Hey, you're FRENCH!  You should be PROUD of that fart!

;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2004, 12:20:09 PM »

DR Donna: Does that mean the prices at the Cinegrill will go back down? It was awfully expensive with Feinstein's name on it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2004, 12:22:42 PM »

On location report #2 from bk: Interesting fact:  '42 grad of Hamilton High: Gwen Verdon
Attending today was Michele Dusick - who after graduating, changed her name to Michele Lee.

Jay

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »

Dear Reader Jay,

No trapdoor under my chair here! Is there one under yours?

I know, I know... I'm not as sharp, witty, smart, etc, etc, as most of you!
I'm just French and touchy -- la faute de papa et maman!...

So... next time you see my name, just skip my prose! Make it easy on yourself!
Because I don't intend to refrain from posting here, sorry! ;)

I do it myself! Yes! it's not PC I know but I do.... and won't give names! Oh no!

I go back into my shell! :-[

???

I enjoy your posts tremendously, Dear Reader François de Paris.  It's just that your ultimate one last night seemed to end rather, uh, abruptly.

François de Paris

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2004, 12:41:20 PM »

Dear reader Jay,

.... you mean my Arthur Laurents short comment?
Oh I was just echoeing Dear reader S Woody White's innuendo regarding Gene Kelly's moody personality!

I wonder if Kelly's not my father???!
It's in the genes! ;)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2004, 12:42:38 PM »

Now everybody shake hands and make nice. No rumble tonight.

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2004, 12:53:19 PM »

Say "how do you do?" and shake hands,
Shake hands, shake hands!
Say "how do you do?" and shake hands!
State your name and business!

What do you do on a saturday night... alone?

Rumble?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:56:54 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2004, 12:55:01 PM »

Michele? Peggy's sister?

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »

Dear reader Panni  -- when I see your name I think of bread (pain, in French!)

You don't give us too much of a choice! :D

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm probably going to see "Troy" tonight with some friends, although so far the only review I've read (in EW) has criticized the film for losing the mythological elements of "The Iliad," and hence, some of the epic grandeur that could have been kept by having some gods and goddesses.  

BK--I absolutely adored "The Young Girls of Rochefort!!"  It just puts a song in your heart, the colors are wondrously ice creamy and cotton candyish, hehe, and I love Deneuve, Françoise Dorleac and of course Gene Kelly!

I have a few rare LPs, some of which I don't believe are on CD yet.

OCRs--Walking Happy, Happy Hunting, What Makes Sammy Run?, Say, Darling

Others--

Vivian Blaine--"For You"
Beatrice Lillie--"Sings the young Noel Coward, the young Arthur Schwartz and the young Howard Dietz"
Joel Grey--"Only the Beginning"
Gordon MacRae--"Only Love" (which includes songs from Zorba!, Dear World, Promises, Promises, Maggie Flynn, Her First Roman and The Fig Leaves Are Falling)

Well, folks, I'm leaving tomorrow for NYC with a friend, and I'll be there a week.  I'll be seeing Avenue Q, Jumpers, Forbidden Broadway and Wicked (again, at my friend's request).  I hope everyone has a great week in my E&Tness!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2004, 01:05:54 PM »

Donna, you do know that Guy Haines is available to perform at the event, and I'm available to help stage it, should you need such things.  I'm sure Mr. Graae will vouch for both Guy and me - after all, I gave him some funny bits for his act.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2004, 01:06:13 PM »

I'm just back briefly before heading off to the recording studio.  

Jay

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2004, 01:09:29 PM »

Dear reader Jay,

.... you mean my Arthur Laurents short comment?

Yep.  That was the one.  Was just trying to make a funny.

Jay

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2004, 01:10:51 PM »

Now everybody shake hands and make nice. No rumble tonight.

Shake hands?  With a Frenchman?

Mais non!

Only a peck on each cheek will do!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 01:12:35 PM by Jay »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »

DRDan, Nicholas Nickleby is on CD from Jay Records/TER.  Go to amazon.com; they have it.

Ahh, very cool!  Thank you, kind sir.  I'll place that one in my shopping cart right now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2004, 01:14:37 PM »

Donna, you do know that Guy Haines is available to perform at the event, and I'm available to help stage it, should you need such things.  I'm sure Mr. Graae will vouch for both Guy and me - after all, I gave him some funny bits for his act.

I know today is not Wednesday, but I do have a question.  When Mr. Guy Haines sings in public, does he do it from behind a screen?  Or is he veiled while he performs?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2004, 01:18:34 PM »

Mr. Haines has only sung in public once, at the Lerner, Loewe, Lane and Friends STAGE benefit.  He was dazzling in white tie and tails doing Dance a Little Closer.  But the damn choreographer had all these girls with huge fans and they kept blocking Mr. Haines every time he'd face the audience.  Most annoying.  And then, when they finally got rid of the fans, they gave Mr. Haines a huge thing of balloons and those covered his face.  He was distraught.  He began popping them one by one until there was only one left.  But, just as he popped that the number ended and the lights blacked out.  DAMN!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2004, 01:20:20 PM »

Only a peck on each cheek will do!

Alright, mister!  I know I have a smutty mouth sometimes but this goes far beyond---

oh.  Never mind.  I misread that one...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2004, 01:23:18 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm probably going to see "Troy" tonight with some friends, although so far the only review I've read (in EW) has criticized the film for losing the mythological elements of "The Iliad," and hence, some of the epic grandeur that could have been kept by having some gods and goddesses.  

BK--I absolutely adored "The Young Girls of Rochefort!!"  It just puts a song in your heart, the colors are wondrously ice creamy and cotton candyish, hehe, and I love Deneuve, Françoise Dorleac and of course Gene Kelly!

I have a few rare LPs, some of which I don't believe are on CD yet.

OCRs--Walking Happy, Happy Hunting, What Makes Sammy Run?, Say, Darling

Others--

Vivian Blaine--"For You"
Beatrice Lillie--"Sings the young Noel Coward, the young Arthur Schwartz and the young Howard Dietz"
Joel Grey--"Only the Beginning"
Gordon MacRae--"Only Love" (which includes songs from Zorba!, Dear World, Promises, Promises, Maggie Flynn, Her First Roman and The Fig Leaves Are Falling)

Well, folks, I'm leaving tomorrow for NYC with a friend, and I'll be there a week.  I'll be seeing Avenue Q, Jumpers, Forbidden Broadway and Wicked (again, at my friend's request).  I hope everyone has a great week in my E&Tness!

DR Maya, so wonderfully young and so wonderfully versed in musical theatre!  My hat's off to you!
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up