Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW  (Read 42159 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »

Well, I'm trying to get that tree decorated for you, Jane

I told Keith I can't find the little decorations and he said "GOOD".

Jane

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »

I'm going back out to the garage to look in the big box of decorations, if I can move the Christmas tree stand off of it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »

paper chain on tree

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »

Our visitor just left and someone will be coming around 5:30. I will nap and then greet our second visitor.

Anthony is going to the store for white rice (we only have wild rice here) and vegetable broth. We have boiled chicken so I (he) will make some rice, broth and chicken for dinner. Compared to what I've eaten over the past few days it sounds good.

Ben

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »

Rudolph was funny! I laughed and so did Anthony.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »

I went back to bed like so much fish - I dozed on and off till eleven, when one of the two remaining singers came and got their music - now it's just Alet, who's supposed to come today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »

I have to run down to Toyland for some msic, so I will be back in several hours. I hope I can find what I need.

Then I will stop by the main branch of the Post Office at 34th and post a box of ornaments I bought my sister-in-law JoAnn. It will keep me out of the PO tomorrow. I hope it isn't too insane there today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »

I watched the original TRUE GRIT again about a week ago.

I agree with BK that it's no classic, but it's certainly a much better film than I remembered it being.

Wayne was terrific and, despite what some people have quipped, I do think he earned the Oscar that year.

I am of the opinion that Wayne was given the Oscar because folks thought he might not make many (if any) more films.  Four classic performances were nominated that year...and then there was Wayne.  The best performance of that year was turned in by Peter O'Toole (as was the case in virtually any year in which he appeared in a film), followed by Voigt, Hoffman and Burton. 

It wasn't even prime Wayne.  His greatest moment was in "The Quiet Man".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:31:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »

I love applesauce, too.  I eat a small container of it every morning.  (Every afternoon, I eat a container of Chobani Greek Yogurt).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »

The trip to Johnston SC is going smoothly.

I've eaten VERY well, thanks.

I have played numerous games of Skipbo with mom and aunt...have kicked some Skipbo booty and had my Skipbo booty kicked, as well.

We have had heavy rains and now we have sunshine.  It's cold, but the sun shines.

Went to church this morning.  There were six people singing in the choir.  The cantata had 34 members in the choir.  Sigh.  Lots of folks only volunteered for the cantata...some from other churches.

The six we had, however, had very nicely blended voices.  They, plus the choir director -- who faced the congregation during hymns -- sounded very good.

We had lunch at the Persimmon Hill Country Club.  Had more turkey and dressing, plus green beans (the ubiquitous southern vegetable of all seasons), sweet potato fries, a salad and a slice of Millionaire Pie.

My mom is off to a funeral service right now.  Miss Emma Butler died Friday night at the age of 101.  I did not know her, but folks around here have known her all "their" lives. 

Tonight is the church Christmas party...mostly for the young'uns.  Santa will hand each young'un a present at some point.  They will serve finger food.  I think I'll pass on that.   We shall see.

Tomorrow, my Mom, my Aunt Doris and I will venture northward to Greenville SC for our annual trek to shopping mall, the city's main street sites and our annual tour of places were my folks and I lived in Greenville from 1957-1989.  For me, it's four places.  For my Mom, it's six places.  All of them had memorable Christmases for me, and I shall be ruminating upon them this year.

Tuesday e'en, my Aunt Doris and Uncle Rock, cousin Debra and her hubby Rob (and maybe their 19-year-old daughter Becky) will come over for dinner.  I spent yesterday slaving over a hot stove prepping my spaghetti sauce.  I made two large pots of it.  Half has been ladled into pint containers and put into my Mom's freezer for use in the new year.

I am enjoying this visit.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »

Ron-

Did You read my missive about Your Cousin DOT JOLLEY.? If Not,It;s In the December 17th Notes.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »

BK, I am enormous fan of the original TRUE GRIT. I do not think it is Wayne's best performance, though a mighty fine one.  I advise you to go see the new TRUE GRIT.  It is a perfectly respectable remake and a fine movie in its own right.  Some things are better than the original (notably Matt Damon in the Glenn Campbell role); some things not as good; a lot pretty much the same.  But, as it's been over forty years, there is no reason not to return to this material and the Coens Bros. and their cast do a worthwile piece of work.

I'll see it when it comes to DVD because I like the Coen Brothers.

Actually, I think that Wayne's two greatest performances were in THE COWBOYS and THE SHOOTIST.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »

I agree with BK that it's no classic, but it's certainly a much better film than I remembered it being.

Wayne was terrific and, despite what some people have quipped, I do think he earned the Oscar that year.

I am of the opinion that Wayne was given the Oscar because folks thought he might not make many (if any) more films.  Four classic performances were nominated that year...and then there was Wayne.  The best performance of that year was turned in by Peter O'Toole (as was the case in virtually any year in which he appeared in a film), followed by Voigt, Hoffman and Burton. 

I know who was nominated and they were all fine performances.

But, I don't think that anybody was "robbed" that year.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »

Ron-

Did You read my missive about Your Cousin DOT JOLLEY.? If Not,It;s In the December 17th Notes.

I don't know, Arnold.  A lot of my relatives worked in textiles over the years.  There's a possibility Dot did, too.  I know she retired from Department of Social Services, though, so it would have been MANY years back if she also worked in textiles (which is quite possible).  How far back are you remembering?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »

I did not give the names of the nominees because I thought you did not know them.  I wrote for "everyone" because I doubt everyone remembers.

I thought O'Toole was ROBBED every time he lost (except 1962).  Most especially to Cliff Robertson and John Wayne!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:46:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »

Ron-

We are talking about 1969-1994

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »

Ron-

We are talking about 1969-1994

Dot has been retired from DSS a great many years (she is 87).  I don't know how many years she had with DSS, though.  She might have been the same Dot. 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »

I've said this before (and I'm not the first one to say it), but:

You don't remake a hit...only a flop.

TRUE GRIT may not be a classic, but it was a major hit and is fondly remembered by people who saw it.

I'm sure that Jeff Bridges is excellent in the role of "Rooster".  He seems like perfect casting, but as good as he might be, he will always be competing with the memory of John Wayne.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »

TRUE GRIT may not be a classic, but it was a major hit and is fondly remembered by people who saw it.

I'm sure that Jeff Bridges is excellent in the role of "Rooster".  He seems like perfect casting, but as good as he might be, he will always be competing with the memory of John Wayne.

To that last comment, I completely concur!!!  However...they don't make movies any more for folks who remember John Wayne "at the movies."  Any more than they make movies any more folks who consider the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" a sci-fi classic.

Who these people are that they remake classics (or memorable films) for are people who cannot be bothered with classics...with anything black and white, or that starred anyone they never heard of.

We have a wealth of film history at our fingertips and several generations of young people who won't let their fingers do the walking.

Thus...unneeded/unnecessary/(and usually underthought) remakes.  Overproduced, naturally.

On the other hand...Jeff Bridges as Rooster ought to be a real treat.  Bridges is an actor!!!  Wayne was...Wayne...a force of nature, but essentially the same character film after film.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

I did not give the names of the nominees because I thought you did not know them.  I wrote for "everyone" becuase I doubt everyone remembers.

I thought O'Toole was ROBBED every time he lost (except 1962).  Most especially to Cliff Robertson and John Wayne!

I totally agree with you that he was robbed the year he lost to Cliff Robertson.  THE LION IN WINTER is, in my opinion, his finest performance.

[BTW: If you've read my book, you'll know why I was happy when LION lost Best Picture.]

The problem that O'Toole had the year he lost to Wayne was that he was in a not very good picture (i.e. GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS). 

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »

To that last comment, I completely concur!!!  However...they don't make movies any more for folks who remember John Wayne "at the movies."  Any more than they make movies any more folks who consider the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" a sci-fi classic.

Who these people are that they remake classics (or memorable films) for are people who cannot be bothered with classics...with anything black and white, or that starred anyone they never heard of.

We have a wealth of film history at our fingertips and several generations of young people who won't let their fingers do the walking.

Thus...unneeded/unnecessary/(and usually underthought) remakes.  Overproduced, naturally.

On the other hand...Jeff Bridges as Rooster ought to be a real treat.  Bridges is an actor!!!  Wayne was...Wayne...a force of nature, but essentially the same character film after film.

Frankly, I'd rather watch Wayne or Bogart or Cagney or Tracy or any of the great stars of yesterday than most of the "actors" that we have today.

No disrespect intended to Mr. Bridges, whose work I like.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »

Just entered over two hundred names into the eBlast program - over the last year, Kritzerland has accumulated over 2500 names.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »

It looks like either Little Toni's tonight or the Eclectic Cafe - don't want to drive too far in this rain.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »

We got home from Lima about an hour ago after a well-attended service for the Bishop's visit.  The ladies of the church prepared a lovely brunch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »

DR Ben looks quite comfy in his Snuggie.  My sister sent me one for my birthday - it's navy blue with a Michigan pocket on the front.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »

paper chain on tree

Never did that.  I have darling paper bears I purchased at Feeney's nursery about 27 years ago http://www.feeneys.com/indexNOFLASH.shtml  I still have the glass decorations I got there.  They were the first really nice, and expensive, decorations I ever purchased.  The last time I was in Pennsylvania in December I went with my girlfriend and Christmas at Feeney's was just as wonderful as I remembered it.

I wish the website had photos. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »

I am getting sick of delis hiring workers with English as a second language. I ordered over an hour ago Virginia ham on rye with Swiss, lettuce, tomato and mayo. What I just unwrapped to my dismay was Virginia ham on a roll with Swiss, lettuce, tomato and mayo!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:16:01 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

Time to leave Toyland!

I've never seen TRUE GRIT, so I look forward to the new film. I like a lot of the Coen Brothers oeuvre and I'm sure it will have wonderful moments.

Ben

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »

I am getting sick of delis hiring workers with English as a second language. I ordered over an hour ago Virginia ham on rye with Swiss. lettuce, tomato and mayo. What I just unwrapped to my dismay was Virginia ham on a roll with Swiss, lettuce, tomato and mayo!

Be careful, you're making me hungry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up