Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB  (Read 25288 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« on: May 16, 2004, 11:59:55 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were the bomb, you've discerned the topic of the day, and now you are ready to make with the excellent postings.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:04:34 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:16:11 AM »

Topic of the Day: The Nutcracker, Christmas Day,  the Opera House in Budapest. I was two years old. I still have the ticket with my father's writing (in Hungarian) on the back. "Panni's first theater - The Nutcracker Russian ballet. She behaved like an adult."
I remember leaning over the red plush velvet of the box railing, being totally transported and wanting with all my being to be in that magic world on stage. I was SO excited, so happy. And I absolutely decided at that moment to be a ballerina, which everntually changed to actress. Which is what I did from age 14 until 25, when I became a writer.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:22:16 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 12:21:35 AM »

Lovely story.

I say bomb the flies...but unless you find the source - in three weeks more flies!  I think....I don't know.  I am NO Fly Man.

As I have written before - so if you read it before, skip this - I was sitting in the movie theatre in Plainfield Indiana - and suddenly Rosalind Russell sang something that made me sit up:

Some people sit on their butts
Got the dream - yea - but not the guts......

And I realized that I could sit a think about being an actor or a writer or a dancer for years and years, but unless I went out and did something about it, the dream would never happen.

It didn't completely happen, but anything I dreamed and TRIED to accomplish at least didn't stay just a DREAM!  And I have acted, written, and danced...and not sat on my butt instead.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 12:27:31 AM »

The Enid Blyton books no doubt introduced me to a love of fantasy (and I still enjoy Childrens books).
"Kismet" introduced me to the world of theatre. Hard to have defining moments in music tastes but I think my music teachers at School (When I was about 15) really introduced me to classical music with "The Moldau" which I still love and of course felt so good about actually seeing the river in Prague a few years ago.  
First film I remember seeing as a child was "The Daughter Of Rosie O'Grady". The film that really made me appreciate film as an art form was "Lawrence Of Arabia". I did however love earlier films of course and never tire of "Carousel" which I guess I saw at an impressionable age.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:53:39 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 12:40:29 AM »

My aunt - who was this neurotic Communist intellectual, used to take me to the opera as a child whenever her husband couldn't go. And not just Hansel and Gretel - I remember seeing Bluebeard's Castle when I was around 5 (second time I've mentioned that tonight - weird). I don't remember which specific opera made the biggest impression - might have been La Boheme or Madame Butterfly - but I still tear up when I hear certain selections from them. I wanted my life set to music from an early age because of those incredible experiences.

Panni

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 12:42:46 AM »

Okay, perhaps the music of my life right now should be Brahms' Lullaby. G'night.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 07:42:30 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 12:45:51 AM »

Benjamin Kritzer was highly impacted by The Moldau, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 12:46:50 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  Tell us what things were life-changers for you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 12:47:12 AM »

Who knew?  4400 posts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 01:17:02 AM »

I can't really think of anything that changed my life as a child.  However, as an adult I had an epiphanal moment while reading Edmund White's States of Desire.

The book is a collection of essays, covering White's travels across America from one large metropolis to the next, always focusing on the gay community in whatever area the chapter is about.  Originally published in 1980 (or thereabouts), it's totally dated now, of course, but it sure had an immediacy when I first read it.

That I first read it shortly after the fag-bashing incident that left me with a broken shoulder and nose was a key element in this story.

The passage that changed a lot of my life dealt with Miami, shortly after the referendum in that city to repeal gay rights.  White wrote about how a survey was taken after that election, where the pollsters asked the voters whether they had voted for the repeal, and if they had whether or not they knew anyone who was gay.  The vast majority of people responding replied that they didn't know any gay people, and most of those who did know someone who was gay could only identify the stereotypical flaming queen, such as their hairdresser.

My wheels started cranking around.  I was not a "flaming" anything, and yet had been bashed for being gay, and damn near killed.  And here in the Miami poll was evidence that most people didn't have a clue about how many gay people were around them.  People were judging me for what I was, without knowing what that really was.  Well, the obvious conclusion that I came to was that more of us should be out of the closet, so that the general population could find out the truth about us.

There was just one problem.  Who, exactly, was "more of us?"  It's a nice thing to say, but at the time (1980, or thereabouts) not too many people were actually doing it.  And that was when I realized that I couldn't expect anyone to come out for me.  It was something I would have to do on my own.

And that's exactly what I did.  I went to the office I was assigned to at the time, and stopped pretending to be straight.  Some people were upset by my decision, more because they weren't comfortable with my honesty than my being gay.  And there were, over the years I spent with that company (a grand total of twenty-three), a handful who were openly hostile, but only a handful.  For the most part, my co-workers were glad to have someone around who they could ask questions on subjects they couldn't ask their priest.  And I never regretted my decision.

Well, almost never.  The catch was that, in all those years, no one else ever came out as well.  Anyone else that I worked with who was gay was quite content to have me be the one who stood up, representing them while they stayed silent.  It was understandable early on, but by the time we hit the year 2000 I would have expected someone else to raise their hand and say hello.

Then again, I've never quite understood why I was also the only one who would refer to my other half by name in conversation, while everyone else referred to "my husband" or "my wife" or "my girlfriend" or "boyfriend," never by name.  They could ask "How's der Brucer doing?" while I was stuck with replying "Fine, and how's...uh...whoozit?"  But that's a whole different issue.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 01:17:17 AM »

Heading toward my 3000!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 01:19:08 AM »

Benjamin Kritzer was highly impacted by The Moldau, too.
Now that's just plain silly!  The Benjamin Kritzer books are NOT moldy!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 01:19:39 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 03:32:42 AM »

Really good questions today and I wish that I had answer for them.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 05:31:05 AM »

Quote from Jane yesterday evening/early morning

I don’t know about scarier, but Ben was definitely cuter.

Aw, Jane, thanks. How sweet. And we haven't even met
 ;)

George, I think it was you over the weekend who asked about the release of A Star is Born (which will happen tomorrow along with the release of West Side Story).

According to my source, ASIB will use the original cover art and have 24 tracks including dialogue bits as well as the Trinidad Coconut Oil Shampoo commerical (which we hear in the restored version. There are stills added to show some of the visuals). There is a also a track for When My Sugar Walks Down the Street which was cut from the Born in a Trunk sequence. It sounds like the most definitive recording we will get. I'm disappointed that they won't be doing a bigger push, since it is the 50th anniversary of the film. Oh, well. I'll take what I can get.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 05:42:56 AM »

Last night DR Panni wrote: "Box office report: In spite of the terrible reviews TROY did well this weekend. 45.6 million. (Of course that's a drop in the bucket compared to what it cost.)"

Your second comment is the salient one. The producers have to be very, very disappointed with this figure. Quite obviously, the movie will not make its money back (or anywhere near it) from the US/Canada box-office. Hopefully, like THE LAST SAMURAI, it will do much better in Europe and Asia than it is doing here. But for a movie that cost $200 million (or more), and will thus need $350 million (or more) to break even, these numbers are not encouraging.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 05:46:43 AM »

My young life was spent tilting at windmills.  I was always railing at some perceived injustice, often trying to get some teacher removed or reprimanded.  So, when I discovered Man of a La Mancha, I found plenty to identify with.  It convinced me that there's a certain nobility to unrequited love, and unrequited love is just what I got.  12-13-14 and up I wanted so badly to experience romance.  Or a kiss.  A kiss would be nice.  But Don Quixote refused to pity himself when he didn't have Dulcinea's affection.  And that taught me something or other.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 06:05:41 AM »

Noel, how was the performance last night? Sorry I couldn't make it but both yesterday evening and tonight are booked. Hope it goes well today.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 06:23:43 AM »

Instead of a new "Troy" why can't they reissue the one with Rosanna Posada (I might be spelling it wrong).  I can't see Brad Pitt as Helen of Troy at all.

And wasn't there a musical called "Helen of Troy,  New York".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 07:03:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late because I stayed up late reading DR Penny O's book, JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY; I glossed through it to get to the Kritzer books, as I promised my good friend BK, and now I'm just enjoying her account of her protagonist's desperate climb to the middle.  It's very funny and I recommend it highly.  I don't know if the G&S group really is the late LOOM, warts and all, but I'm having a good tme.

TOD:  oh, God, so many to acknowledge!  I feel like an Oscar winner just as the exit music starts.  
Movies:
Disney animation from the early 1950s:  ALICE IN WONDERLAND, PETER PAN, LADY AND THE TRAMP:  for years I wanted to be a Disney animator
HANSEL AND GRETEL (1954), which I still hold dear, was probably my introduction to opera and Anna Russell's witch is my first brush at age 8 with high camp; incidentally the producer of this film, Michael Myerberg, was the producer on Broadway of THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH with Tallulah Bankhead, Frederic March, and Montgomery Clift.
Film versions of stage musicals:  got me thinking, why did they cut this song or why did they replace this number?
Theatre:
Middletown, Ohio, in the 1950s for a lower middleclass boy, was a wasteland.
Music:
Little Golden Records were an obsession, and one source of my reading education at age 3-4 was the record label.  My favorite Little Golden Record was two excerpts from SWAN LAKE:  the dance of the little swans and the main theme (I believe).  My first recording passion was Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance."  Popular songs I liked the best in the 50s were the novelty numbers like "Witch Doctor" and "The Purple People Eater," but since my Mother sang a lot of novelty songs from the 30s and 40s like "Mairzy Doats" and "Three Little Fishes," it's probably genetic.   I remember listening to "Kisses Sweeter than Wine" and thinking, what the fat hell does this mean?
Television:
I LOVE LUCY, a show I recall fondly but never watch today, even though I still laugh hysterically whenever I happen to catch an episode.
THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB:  I was crazy about Darlene while everyone else to my puzzlement raved about Annette.  Every day was a race home from school to catch it; I loved the Hardy Boys and Spin and Marty, who had adventures and exciting lives I didn't think I'd ever have.  This show had kids in my age group doing things I would have loved to do but I was this poor whitetrash kid stuck in Ohio!  In 1956, I didn't know there was a way out. Yet.
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER:  my first memory of anger over fraudulent tv; this family was nothing like the dysfunctional one I was in and I was pissed.  Still am.
Max Liebman specials, Hallmark Hall of Fame, etc.   Where else could I see The Lunts, Maurice Evans, Barbara Cook, Alfred Drake, and a host of other stars I'd never see on Broadway?  
1958 televised broadcast of THE NUTCRACKER with Balanchine playing Drosselmeier.

Dear Friend BK covered this territory so well in his books, and it's amazing how many things he enjoyed that I did as well over a thousand miles away.  One place he doesn't mention much in the books is the Library and the Public Library was my haven from the bullies, the family madness, and most of my adolescent angst; I had the Dewey decimal system down pat, I could race through the Reader's Guide for a magazine review of a show I'd never see, I knew where in the stacks to find the pictorial travel books to leave Ohio mentally, where to find the art books of painters I wanted to be as good as, where to find the music I wanted to play at the piano, and where to find tons of novels, from Dodie Smith's 101 DALMATIANS to Samuel Hopkins Adams' TENDERLOIN to Dorothy Macardle's THE UNINVITED.  I read a lot between 1954 and 1964 when I went off to college, and some things stick with me like Meredith Willson's book BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW THE TERRITORY, about creating THE MUSIC MAN, and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE while a lot of ghost stories, inferior to THE UNINVITED, are now vague plot synopses.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 07:09:46 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 07:06:30 AM »

Instead of a new "Troy" why can't they reissue the one with Rosanna Posada (I might be spelling it wrong).  I can't see Brad Pitt as Helen of Troy at all.

And wasn't there a musical called "Helen of Troy,  New York".

Dear WEL, the Rosanna Podesta film just came out on DVD, clearly to time with the new movie.  "Helen of Troy, New York" made a star of Miss Helen Ford, who went on to star in "Dearest Enemy," "Peggy-Ann," and "Chee-Chee" for Rodgers & Hart.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 07:22:34 AM »

For all intents and purposes, I am going to consider childhood to be my life up until the age 18:

Book:  Most definitely CATCHER IN THE RYE, but also FRANNY AND ZOOEY to a great extent.  (I can't recall when I read the first one, but I might have snuck in the first portion of Ethan Morrdden's BUDDIES trilogy in there before I turned 18, and if so, I would cetainly include it here.)  These books defined who I was as a young man growing up in NYC (ok, so it was Brooklyn, but I spent most of my free time in Manhattan, and we weren't quite as well-to-do as the Caulfields), and BUDDIES defintely helped me define who I was as a young gay man.

Film(s):  FUNNY GIRL:  If a meeskite from Brooklyn could grow up and do this, so could I.  Or try.  (See also: FAME)

Stage:  I've said it before, and I will say it again.  Merman in DOLLY.  MY first Broadway show, and it defined that I wanted to spend my life in the theatre.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 07:40:32 AM »

When I was six, my mother took me to a dancing school recital to see a cousin of mine who was performing. I was so enchanted by the costumes and the music and the dance that (she told me later), all I could talk about that summer was starting to take dancing lessons, and I did which I continued all the way until I graduated from high school. Many years, I was the only guy in the highest level class as some would come and go, but I loved the tap and jazz classes (always sat out ballet; had zero interest in it; just like Ann Miller.)

Panni

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 07:56:31 AM »

The mind is a weird and wonderful thing (well mine is -- weird, anyway) I was in the middle of my walk this morning when suddenly "Brahm's" flashed into my consciousness. I spelled it wrong (make that stupidly wrong) at 1 AM last night! Perhaps the hour is an excuse, but I hate things like that. Being obsessive about spelling, I cut my walk short and came back to change it. Thought it would only take a moment, but I got caught up reading the terrific morning posts.  So many good posts - so early!

SWW - Very moving post.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2004, 08:03:56 AM »

Before I go to finish my walk... Seminal books: As a kid, don't laugh.... the FREDDY THE PIG series by Walter R, Brooks. These books gave me a world into which I coudl escape and I loved them.

As a young teen, I discovered James Baldwin. GIOVANNI'S ROOM almost blew the top off my head. Followed by ANOTHER COUNTRY - which did. Those books just changed me. Can't really explain why or how -- all I know is that I was a different person after I read them from the person I had been before.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 08:05:08 AM by Panni »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 08:24:54 AM »

Diary of a Scoundrel went well enough so that the applause drowned out most of my scene change music.  Oh, well.  Such is the life of an incidental music composer.  I look forward to returning to my real life soon.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 08:30:52 AM »

Speaking of "Spin & Marty" on the MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, yep, I had my first erotic (very G-rated) dream about Spin (Tim Considine) when I was 8 or 9. I remember it distinctly, and immediately I started buying the Disney comic books and other media to get pictures of him. Naturally, I wrote a fan letter to him, too, and got back an autographed photo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 09:27:03 AM »

Lovely postings.  No flies yet this morning.  But there weren't any yesterday morning either.  We shall see.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »

(always sat out ballet; had zero interest in it; just like Ann Miller.)
You had zero interest in Ann Miller?

??? ::) 8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 09:39:12 AM »

Lovely postings.  No flies yet this morning.  But there weren't any yesterday morning either.  We shall see.
AHA!  This validates my suspicion, that your flies are up at all hours of the night and sleep late every morning.

What's causing you such pain and grief, my dear BK, is an invasion of BARFLIES!

Panni

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »

What's causing you such pain and grief, my dear BK, is an invasion of BARFLIES!

;D;D;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up