Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB  (Read 25387 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2004, 09:43:56 AM »

Good Morning!

TOD

Musicals (sort of in general) - My mom would take us to shows starting at a very young age.  Everything from community theatre productions to Broadway tours.  The King & I and Fiddler of the Roof stick out in my head.  All that magic on stage.

And the movie version of Flower Drum Song... The whole "I Enjoy Being A Girl" sequence still plays vividly in my head from time to time.

Books - Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" series - for the science and fantasy.  Paul Zindel's "Pigman" series for the humanity of the characters.  And almost any Judly Blume book - I was a "fourth grade nothing".  Oh, and I remember my first "good cry" after reading "Bridge to Terabithia".

Music - Anything from my grade school music book series... Covered popular music, folk music, show tunes, opera... And a great music teacher too.  -I think it was Silver-Burdett's "Making Music On Your Own" series... and I still have some of those books in my library.

-Moving into my teens.... Most definitely Sunday in the Park with George - the piece explained the struggle I was going through handling "art and life" - and in a related tangent between "coming out or staying in the closet".  And, as I've mentioned before, Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" for the sheer beauty of it.

Well, I have a few more things, but I need to get some brunch into my stomach and make a run to the bank...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2004, 09:54:10 AM »

BARFLIES!

BARF LIES?  We're talking BARF LIES now?  Who cares how the barf lies?  I say, clean it up with a mop and pail immediately before someone adds to it.

I'd do a Page Two dance but am worried I'd step in it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2004, 10:31:37 AM »

Dear Friend BK, if you bring in the bomb, you'll have the home flies burning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 10:35:14 AM »

Isn't if funny - today we have a really good topic and we have thirty-two posts by ten-thirty.  Does not compute.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 10:40:33 AM »

And, as I've mentioned before, Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" for the sheer beauty of it.

DR Jose, "Knoxville: Sumer of 1915" is a piece that makes me cry, to get back to one of last week's TOD.  What an amazing composition!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004, 10:56:30 AM »

Speaking of "Spin & Marty" on the MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, yep, I had my first erotic (very G-rated) dream about Spin (Tim Considine) when I was 8 or 9. I remember it distinctly, and immediately I started buying the Disney comic books and other media to get pictures of him. Naturally, I wrote a fan letter to him, too, and got back an autographed photo.

MattH -- Do you still have the Tim Considine photo?  It was The Hardy Boys that really drew me to the young Mr. Considine.  I used to imagine that he was my older brother, which, I guess, makes me Tommy Kirk.

BK -- Don't fret about the number of posts.  This is one of those TOD that requires a little time and reflection before answering -- and, at the moment, I don't have a watch or a mirror.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »

DR Jane: glad you got home safely.  We were all starting to worry.  Glad doggie is doing better too.

Ben

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004, 11:02:51 AM »

I remember being in 3rd grade and doing a Christmas paegant. Even at that young age doing something seemingly so simple and uncomplicated but it was magical to me. Then when I was in 5th grade and did my first real performance at 11 years. I actually don't remember the play I was in, but I do remember the feelings I had and the amazing release of going on stage and being someone else. I don't necessarily cite a specific play that had an influence on me, it's just the magic of theatre in general. I may have used that magic for the wrong reasons, but it got me out of a difficult household for hours at at time and it made me appreciate my school. We had a very good drama department and I was involved in both Junior and Senior High School as well as doing community theatre. I survived what could have been turbulent years because I found other people within myself and I was allowed to let those other people out through performing. Knowing that I would be an actor, no matter the stares and laughs that I got when at 13 and 14 people said "What do you want to do when you grow up?" and my response always was "I'm going to New York to be an actor." It took a while longer than I planned but it happened. Even though I no longer perform, I can't imagine having grown up without theatre in my life.

I have always adored Aaron Copeland. There is something in his music that touches me. Hearing his music as a child was wonderful. Hearing those notes and closing my eyes taking me to another place was grand.

One of the books I remember having a profound influence on me was James Michner's The Fires of Spring. Oh, my G*d, what a book. I was in my late teens and going through difficult times when an adult recommended I read it. It was one of moments of recoginition realizing I wasn't alone. What I was feeling  was real and not something to be buried in "the dark place". I loved that book. I've never re-read only because I don't want to diminish the memory of what happened the first time I read it. I was so young and vulnerable and I don't want to be disappointed if it's not the same. I remember reading another book The Front Runner, in college, and crying and being transported. I'm sure there are other DRs who remember that book as well. I re-read the book some time ago and actually couldn't finish it. I don't know what changed in me but I didn't like the book at all. I'm glad I read it when I did and got something out of it, but I could not read it again.

As DR Elmore said, the library was also a refuge to me. I knew the stacks of the Minneapolis Public Library inside out. Another haven for me. I would take the bus from Coon Rapids (an 1:15 ride) to downtown Minneapolis and spend the day in the library, sometimes reading an entire book during my time there. It's also where I discovered Original Cast Recordings. I would bring them home on the bus and know I had a prize for 3 weeks. I sat in my basement bedroom and played them over and over again. They hold such wonderful memories. I think that's why, even though some of the shows are not very good (like How Now Dow Jones which was one of the first OCRs I took out of the library), I have a special place for some of the songs and the music.

Well, this is turning into a novella so I will stop and go back to work. Mr. Rockefella (a Bette Midler reference) calls me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2004, 11:04:14 AM »

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE and Mr Jerry Lewis and THE NUTTY PROFESSOR - this is indeed a week of weeks!

And...I just noticed that TCM is broadcasting in stereo.   Has this been going on all along....and my cable system just started doing it....or is this a recent development?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2004, 11:07:20 AM »

DR Jose, "Knoxville: Sumer of 1915" is a piece that makes me cry, to get back to one of last week's TOD.  What an amazing composition!

Absolutely!!! Perfect marriage of text and music.

"On the rough wet grass of the back yard my father and mother have spread quilts. We all lie there, my mother, my father, my uncle, my aunt, and I too am lying there... They are not talking much, and the talk is quiet, of nothing in particular, of nothing at all in particular, of nothing at all. The stars are wide and alive, they seem each like a smile of great sweetness, and they are very near. All my people are larger bodies than mine,... with voices gentle and meaningless like the voices of sleeping birds. One is an artist, he is living at home. One is a musician, she is living at home. One is my mother who is good to me. One is my father who is good to me. By some chance, here they are, all on this earth; and who shall ever tell the sorrow of being on this earth, lying, on quilts, on the grass, in the summer evening, among the sounds of the night. May God bless my people, my uncle, my aunt, my mother, my good father, oh, remember them kindly in their time of trouble; and in the hour of their taking away.
After a little I am taken in and put to be. Sleep, soft smiling, draws me unto her: and those receive me, who quietly treat me, as one familiar and well-beloved in that home: but will not, no ,will not, not now, noter; but will not ever tell me who I am."
...James Agee

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2004, 11:51:24 AM »

George, I think it was you over the weekend who asked about the release of A Star is Born (which will happen tomorrow along with the release of West Side Story).

According to my source, ASIB will use the original cover art and have 24 tracks including dialogue bits as well as the Trinidad Coconut Oil Shampoo commerical (which we hear in the restored version. There are stills added to show some of the visuals). There is a also a track for When My Sugar Walks Down the Street which was cut from the Born in a Trunk sequence. It sounds like the most definitive recording we will get. I'm disappointed that they won't be doing a bigger push, since it is the 50th anniversary of the film. Oh, well. I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the info!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2004, 11:53:16 AM »

First, as I have not made an appearance here in many, many weeks (I've had a job as a paralegal and have had lots to do), I just need to say right away that I really, really enjoyed Kritzer Time.  I had a lot of trouble putting it down, and, in fact, let DH Noel fall asleep next to me in bed and stayed up all night finishing it.

As for the TOD, I must have read The Chronicles of Narnia at least twenty times by now.  I don't know how much of an effect it had on me, but there it is.  Having never seen the show on stage, I was addicted to the movie of A Chorus Line.  As I became an aficionado of the real show, I began to see the bastardization evident in the movie.  But it doesn't really matter -- I still love the movie.

I didn't get much of an opportunity to see much theatre when I was a kid, but what I did see made quite an impression.  I remember seeing a children's theatre production of the play "The Secret Garden" somewhere in VA, and wanting to be in it.

On another topic, my dear friend Laura just got the tour of Millie and will be replacing our own Juliana!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Panni

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2004, 12:07:30 PM »

Gee, you'd think it was Monday or something...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2004, 12:08:32 PM »

Great TOD, BK.  I think the first live production I saw was Song of Norway which I have only vague memories; followed by Irene which I don’t remember at all.  The first show I saw that had an effect on me was probably The Desert Song that I saw when I was probably seven or eight.  In the production I saw, The Riffs made their entrance down the aisles of the theater, which I thought was the greatest thing I had ever seen.  And, of course, it wasn’t lost on me, even at that tender age, that the story was really the same story as Superman, only in Arab costumes and with no flying.  But it was probably the touring production of Once Upon a Mattress that I saw at about the same time that really opened my eyes to the magic of theater with its huge sets and beautiful costumes.  And going backstage after the show opened my eyes to the way celebrities should not behave towards their fans (Imogene Coca) and how they should behave (Edward Everett Horton and King Donovan).

As far as books, Freddy the Pig was a favorite series of books of mine.  And, for me personally, when I was about eleven I discovered Walter Lord’s A Night to Remember and that book changed my life forever.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2004, 12:08:48 PM »

Jennifer, you're about to become a two thousandaire (whatever that means). Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »

On another topic, my dear friend Laura just got the tour of Millie and will be replacing our own Juliana!

Does that mean we will start having Laura's Journal?
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2004, 12:18:55 PM »

Really interesting piece in the Sunday LA Times that I just got around to reading. Various contemporary playwrights (Kushner, McNally, Durang, etc.) talk about Tennessee Williams. Let me quote part of what A. R. Gurney had to say: "I think what I'd emphasize is his emphasis on the precariousness of our culture, this notion that the sensitive are vicitmized and destroyed by the cruel and the mendacious, the artistic destroyed by the materialistic, which, of course, is still very true today."
...Amen, brother!

Panni

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »

As far as books, Freddy the Pig was a favorite series of books of mine.  

Kindred spirits, TCB! Check my post from earlier today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »

Well.. I'm flipping channels, and "A Chorus Line: The Movie" is on Bravo... guess what I'll be cringing doing for the next hour or so..  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2004, 12:39:58 PM »

LOL!!!!  I had forgotten just how bad the lip-syncing and dubbing was in this movie!!?!?!?!

"Hello Twe-eee-lll-lveee.... Hellll-lllloo-ooo Thii-iir-tee-eeennn"....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2004, 01:05:24 PM »

Jennifer, you're about to become a two thousandaire (whatever that means). Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go!!!

I didn't realize. Thanks for pointing it out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2004, 01:12:01 PM »

Kindred spirits, TCB! Check my post from earlier today.

You know, Panni, I think we really are.  In fact, when I was a kid I was always hungry, and when you were a kid you were in Hungary.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2004, 01:13:50 PM »

Panni the dog in Echo’s honor is cute.  Thanks.

Now that we are home from the busy city, I couldn’t help notice how incredibly quiet my walk was today.  We didn’t meet a sole, just heard the sounds of wildlife and a few cars in the distance.

Ben, LOL

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2004, 01:15:42 PM »

Jane, I am very to see you back safe and sound.  I have missed you.  Glad to hear that Echo is better, too.  I just read a nice little article at CNN.com about Kim Novak at age 71.  I didn't realize that she was practically your neighbor, Jane, since she lives in Windsong.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2004, 01:17:53 PM »

Ben, what a lovely post about theater.  How very true.  I am glad you were able to live your dream.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2004, 01:24:19 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Matt H. on Today at 07:40:32am
(always sat out ballet; had zero interest in it; just like Ann Miller.)

DR S. Woody responded: "You had zero interest in Ann Miller?"

If you really thought that's what I meant, so be it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2004, 01:30:44 PM »

Woody, great story and I admire your courage to be honest.  I wish I had one to match that.  I know many books affected me deeply and inspired me to be a more caring thoughtful person.  One that comes to mind is VANITY FAIR.  Dickens, my favorite author had the same affect on me.  LES MIRSERABLE which I read when I was fourteen had a great impact on me.  I think I really lost my innocence with that book and truly realized how unfair life could be.  Obviously I was a slow learner.

The DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES was the first time I saw or read anything dealing with the issues of alcoholism in a kind compassionate manner.  The movie gave me more understanding to how my mother became an alcoholic and why she couldn’t stop.  It also showed me there were other’s out there with the same problem.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

DR JRand asked: "MattH -- Do you still have the Tim Considine photo?  It was The Hardy Boys that really drew me to the young Mr. Considine.  I used to imagine that he was my older brother, which, I guess, makes me Tommy Kirk."

No, darn it! My mother threw out all my old stuff after I'd had my house for a few years. When I finally went to get some of my old games (like CAREERS which we talked about a lot some months ago), books (NANCY DREW collection in particular), and other memorabilia, I found out she had given anything of use to the Boys' Home and the Girls' Home in my hometown and had junked everything else. So, I lost lots of autographed photos of folks like Patty Duke, Bill Bixby, Roger Smith, and Tim Considine.

Her explanation/argument was that if I had wanted those things, I should have gotten them once I bought my own house and had room for them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 01:32:04 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2004, 01:34:25 PM »

TCB thanks for the welcome.  I read the Kim Novak article in the paper and can’t figure out where Windsong is.  It sounds beautiful and I would love to visit there.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »

TCB thanks for the welcome.  I read the Kim Novak article in the paper and can’t figure out where Windsong is.  It sounds beautiful and I would love to visit there.

Well, just call up Kim, and invite yourself over.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up