Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB  (Read 25038 times)

Jennifer

Re:TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »

Have you guys heard of this show that is premieres tonight (and is on again tomorrow).

It's on the WB, and it's called Superstar USA.  It's a singing competition where the good get sent home and the truly awful (who think they are good) move forward.

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/GenericShow/0%2c11116%2c169159%2c00.html

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2004, 01:48:59 PM »

DR JRand asked: "MattH -- Do you still have the Tim Considine photo?  It was The Hardy Boys that really drew me to the young Mr. Considine.  I used to imagine that he was my older brother, which, I guess, makes me Tommy Kirk."

No, darn it! My mother threw out all my old stuff after I'd had my house for a few years. When I finally went to get some of my old games (like CAREERS which we talked about a lot some months ago), books (NANCY DREW collection in particular), and other memorabilia, I found out she had given anything of use to the Boys' Home and the Girls' Home in my hometown and had junked everything else. So, I lost lots of autographed photos of folks like Patty Duke, Bill Bixby, Roger Smith, and Tim Considine.

Her explanation/argument was that if I had wanted those things, I should have gotten them once I bought my own house and had room for them.

MattH, what a shame to lose all of those mementoes.  I know what you mean.  I should have saved a great many things from my old room when my Mom decided to sell her house.  For me, it was more a matter of not realizing what I was letting go.  And then there are all of the autographs that I did hang on to, but that I have lost or misplaced through the years.  I am surprised that I managed to hang on to my autographed Once Upon a Mattress program.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »

Does that mean we will start having Laura's Journal?
I'm pretty sure that we won't.   :-\ :) :-\ ;)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »

LOL!!!!  I had forgotten just how bad the lip-syncing and dubbing was in this movie!!?!?!?!

"Hello Twe-eee-lll-lveee.... Hellll-lllloo-ooo Thii-iir-tee-eeennn"....
For real...and "Surprise", what the heck was that???  What a poor substitute.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2004, 01:55:39 PM »

Jennifer---
I posted about that show last week when I read about it.  In order to keep the audience from laughing they told them that these performers were clients of "Make a Wish" whose wish was to perform in a televised talent contest.  That has to be one of the most sick things I ever heard.  (The "Make A Wish" comments have been edited out since "Make A Wish" found out about them).

Jose - After seeing how brilliantly the A CHORUS LINE segments came off on the Tony Awards as part of the retrospective I hate the movie even more.  Too bad they didn't just tape the show and forget about filming it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2004, 02:00:05 PM »

Are old postcards (stamped) worth anything? if so, where does one offer them for sale?
I just received a package of photos, cards, etc. that belonged to my elderly, recently deceased cousin. She seems to have kept anything that was ever sent to her. It's quite bizarre to find letters from my mother telling her (cousin) that Panni used to be such a sad little child in Hungary and now that she's in Canada, she does nothing but clown around and be happy all day tra-la. HUH? Pardon me? Who? And there are photos of a number of places where we lived - even of foods my mother prepared. But the running commentary of our wonderful lives is from some movie, certainly not from anything resembling reality. Quite surreal.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2004, 02:01:55 PM »

td - My metaphorical mailbox had a REAL CD in it today! Thank you!!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »

Today's TOD is a tough one and I have thought a lot about it.

So many movies and TV shows and songs influenced me as I grew up. Movies like ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, etc. impressed me so as a child, appealing to my imagination and giving me a love of movies.

TV shows like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, etc. taught me my values (being nice to others, being polite, etc).

The eclectic music I listened to gave me a love of music and an appreciation of diverse types of music.

And I am still influenced by movies, music, and television...hopefully in a positive way. I try to avoid things that leave a negative taste, and I steer towards the positive both in entertainment and in life.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2004, 02:05:36 PM »

Jane, I am so glad that you are back safe and sound. And I do hope that Echo is doing better! Poor thing.

I had thought that Kim Novak lived outside of Eagle Point, so maybe that is where Windsong is. Jane also lived close to Jack Elam (Ashland) and Beth Marion (1930s actress) who lived in Jacksonville (she passed away last year). Also the lead actor from BRIDE OF THE MONSTER lived in nearby Jane in White City. It is just celebrity central down there! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2004, 02:07:18 PM »

I am listening to a couple of wonderful compilation CDs that I picked up today..ARABIC GROOVE and SAHARA GROOVE. Groovy modern pop and dance music from North Africa and Arabian countries. Very nice!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »

Today's TOD is a tough one and I have thought a lot about it.

So many movies and TV shows and songs influenced me as I grew up. Movies like ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, etc. impressed me so as a child, appealing to my imagination and giving me a love of movies.

TV shows like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, etc. taught me my values (being nice to others, being polite, etc).

The eclectic music I listened to gave me a love of music and an appreciation of diverse types of music.

And I am still influenced by movies, music, and television...hopefully in a positive way. I try to avoid things that leave a negative taste, and I steer towards the positive both in entertainment and in life.

...... not to mention, a love of galdiators! ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:07:49 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2004, 02:07:41 PM »

I think I just had a frenzy of posting!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2004, 02:08:39 PM »

Panni are you sure you don’t want to keep the postcards?  You could write your own comments next to your mother’s and save them for Rachel.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2004, 02:08:49 PM »

OH, yes TCB! Ha! Those Hercules and gladiator films certainly gave me a love of .....ehem...physical fitness!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2004, 02:12:52 PM »

Jennifer wrote:  "Have you guys heard of this show that is premieres tonight (and is on again tomorrow).

It's on the WB, and it's called Superstar USA.  It's a singing competition where the good get sent home and the truly awful (who think they are good) move forward."

When I first read about this program, I was repulsed and continue to be. I will be nowhere NEAR that network when the show broadcasts tonight.

I'll probably be watching the DVD of Sidney Lumet's wonderful THE VERDICT. I LOVE that movie. I generally love courtroom dramas anyway, but this one is terrific. I just upgraded from my laserdisc of the film and will watching the DVD tonight.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2004, 02:16:23 PM »

MBarnum thanks.  Echo is feeling fine and we had a great hike today.    

When Bogie was young he had health issues and the vet said we he would likely be the first of our four cats to go.  Well today he is fourteen years old and doing very well.  I shall have to go to the market and get him some fish for a special treat.  

Keith just walked in and said his birthday card, which only took a month, finally arrived from Romania.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2004, 02:19:12 PM »

I had thought that Kim Novak lived outside of Eagle Point, so maybe that is where Windsong is.

It is just celebrity central down there! LOL!

Keith reminded me 'THAT IS WHAT I SAID"

Also Ann Curry is from Ashland.  Her parents are still here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2004, 02:19:58 PM »

Oy, what a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in, why it's almost like being driven INSANE.  Haven't heard back from the Pest Control people so I guess bombing won't happen today.

Dealing with all sorts of annoyances.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2004, 02:20:12 PM »

But enjoying all the excellent posts.

Robin

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2004, 02:22:21 PM »

As to the topic of the day:

The musical that influenced me the most was The Music Man, because I was in it at the tender age of six.  I had a solo in the "Wells Fargo Wagon" number...it was the line "or a double broiler!".  I didn't know what the heck a double broiler was, nor did I care.  I just loved being part of the show.

The book was Tarzan of the Apes.  Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tarzan taught me to love books and reading.

The most influential movie was Fantastic Voyage, which may have been the first movie I've seen in a theater.  (It was on a double bill with another sixties fantasy, The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao...even then, Tony Randall couldn't convince me he was Chinese.   He fared better as Medusa.)  I thought the whole idea of the mini-sub tooling through someone's bloodstream was just about the coolest idea anyone ever had.  

The most inflential piece of music was Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, which is still my favorite piece of music ever.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jed

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

I was addicted to the movie of A Chorus Line.  As I became an aficionado of the real show, I began to see the bastardization evident in the movie.  But it doesn't really matter -- I still love the movie.

So you're the one! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2004, 02:37:31 PM »

So you're the one! :D

Jed, have you come over to this side of the mountains to look for a job, or are you doing it all by cyber and snail mail?  
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2004, 02:38:45 PM »

Jane also lived close to Jack Elam (Ashland) and Beth Marion (1930s actress) who lived in Jacksonville (she passed away last year). Also the lead actor from BRIDE OF THE MONSTER lived in nearby Jane in White City. It is just celebrity central down there! LOL!

I didn't think anybody lived in Jacksonville, Oregon except my great-grandparents (when they were alive, that is).  Is it as small a town as I seem to remember from our annual visits?

Frequent conversation when I was 7 or 8 years old...
"So, Jed, what are you doing over spring break?"
"We're going down to Jacksonville to visit my great-grandparents."
"Florida?  Cool!"
"No, Jacksonville, Oregon."
"Oh... ummm... oh."

Jed

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2004, 02:39:48 PM »

Jed, have you come over to this side of the mountains to look for a job, or are you doing it all by cyber and snail mail?  

I've been doing my searching from this side of the world.  No luck yet, but something's gotta happen sooner or later.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2004, 02:40:09 PM »

Panni are you sure you don’t want to keep the postcards?  You could write your own comments next to your mother’s and save them for Rachel.

I wasn't clear in the way I described the box of goodies, Jane. The postcards aren't from my mother. There are letters and photos with writing on the back from her. The postcards are written by people I don't know.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

Why not shuffle the postcards and then with the help of the pictures and the writing - develop a story (screenplay). I guess there are names mentioned to give you the characters.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2004, 03:08:25 PM »

No, I can't abide the movie version of A CHORUS LINE. It's such a gross misrepresentation of the show, and having done the show in two different productions, the movie is just unconscionable for me. But I guess it's good that someone likes it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2004, 03:33:56 PM »

I have to go with Robin on this one.  TARZAN led me to literature and books.  And Tarzan...in the form of Johnny Weissmuller...also led me to movies.  So Edgar Rice Burroughs, though he has long been eclipsed by far superior writers, is responsible for both my cinematic and literary ambitions.

Musically, it was old movies and discovering my father's stash of 78's.

Theatre was a production of Beauty and the Beast that we saw on a school outing when I was in the fourth grade...I remember little about it, except that it was very haunting and magical...if dim memory serves they borrowed touches from the Couteau film.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2004, 04:02:45 PM »

DR Panni: I collect postcards and I know that there are definitely postcard shows out there (I'm sure LA has quite a few a year).  Some old cards are worth a lot and some aren't.  You'd probably have to ask a dealer to know how rare yours are.

Do you know what years they (postmark), what kind they are (linens ...) and what is pictured on them?

Sounds like a fun find.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »

I wasn't clear in the way I described the box of goodies, Jane. The postcards aren't from my mother. There are letters and photos with writing on the back from her. The postcards are written by people I don't know.

I think it was my error, not your description.  I read you post to Keith and thought "oops, oh well" then rushed out to pick up Bogie's birthday dinner.  Echo insisted on going with me.  My timing was perfect, just as we left a little storm hit. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up