Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB  (Read 25411 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TO BOMB OR NOT TO BOMB
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »

My goodness, we are havin' a siesta here at haineshisway.com

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2004, 04:33:48 PM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  Come play wiz us.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2004, 04:52:40 PM »

I was in junior high school when I read Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg Ohio. That book has had a lasting effect on me, though I remember the experience of reading it more clearly than I recall the actual stories.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 04:54:43 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2004, 04:54:30 PM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late because I stayed up late reading DR Penny O's book, JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY; I glossed through it to get to the Kritzer books, as I promised my good friend BK, and now I'm just enjoying her account of her protagonist's desperate climb to the middle.  It's very funny and I recommend it highly.  I don't know if the G&S group really is the late LOOM, warts and all, but I'm having a good tme.

Thanks for the praise, Larry. I'm so glad you like it. I'm so glad you're laughing! And, Yes! The three G&S chapters are (mostly) based on my time at LOOM. Apparently, Brian Molloy, the great pianist who served as the orchestra in those productions, is still playing. I remember he would memorize a score at first playing - one of the most astounding musical talents I ever met. Though LOOM was a backstage horror show much of the time, it was the only Equity rep house, playing 52 weeks a year, for years. And William Mount-Burke DID lose his eyesight and one of his feet to diabetes, and STILL came to work every day, and STILL directed the shows. And supervised the lighting, fa' chrissakes. And much of the time at rehearsals was spent in giving him the correct time and leading him to center stage. Wouldn't 'a' missed it!
PennyO

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2004, 05:01:47 PM »

I've just received an invitation to a wedding in Toronto from my ex-husband's first wife and her present husband. My ex-husband will attend with his present wife, as will his two children by his first wife (one of whom is the bride) as will my daughter who is the half-sister of the bride and of the bride's brother and is the daughter of my ex-husband. I shall decline the invitation. Noel Coward, where are you when we need you?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2004, 05:03:11 PM »

Ah, yes - question of the day... hmmmm...

The Velveteen Rabbit meant a great deal to me; I read it many times.

Too many 30's Busby Berkeley movies meant way too much to me.

Mickey Mouse club (I wanted to be Annette Funicello), Sheriff John - what a happy family those shows were for a rather unhappy child.

Later, Willa Cather's SONG OF THE LARK meant a great deal to me. And most of Hermann Hesse - I read Glassperlenspiel several times. It feels like time to read it again.

Mom loved the ballet and the opera - so we girls were taken several times. La Traviata, Swan Lake were very memorable, unfortunately, and shaped the next 40 years of my life. I still want to be a ballerina, and still want to wear the first act costume for playing Violetta.

I loved Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. I still want to be Jerry Lewis, as he was when I was 9. Born to be a clown, but too uppity to do standup. Oy.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2004, 05:04:01 PM »

Welcome back, PennyO.

Robin

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2004, 05:04:22 PM »

I shall decline the invitation.

A wise strategy, methinks.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »

And welcome to our newest registered member, Paladin.  Have gun, will travel, baby.

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  A rather slow day here at haineshisway.com, but once again, fantastic posts.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2004, 05:10:06 PM »

I've just received an invitation to a wedding in Toronto from my ex-husband's first wife and her present husband. My ex-husband will attend with his present wife, as will his two children by his first wife (one of whom is the bride) as will my daughter who is the half-sister of the bride and of the bride's brother and is the daughter of my ex-husband. I shall decline the invitation. Noel Coward, where are you when we need you?

I had to diagram that one.

Panni

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2004, 05:13:59 PM »

Interesting to note in today's posts how many DR's were unhappy children who found refuge/safety/an escape/happiness... whatever you want to call it... in films, books, theater.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2004, 05:19:16 PM »

Yes - the unhappy children - we deliberately chose alternate families. Still do. We are the intentional ones. We make an artwork of our lives.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2004, 05:20:23 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, bk. It has been a long time...
PennyO

Panni

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2004, 05:36:16 PM »

Jennifer - Re the postcards - My favorite - which has no postmark, was not written on -  is an illustration of midtown NY, featuring the Empire State buidling with a Hindenburg-type airship floating by.
There are a couple of cards featuring a photo of Dr. Hugo Eceker and the Graf Zeppelin.
There are some lovely painted ones with European scenes from either 1924 or 1928.
There's a spiffy one of the Catskills from 1927.
Oh - I just found a gorgeous hand colored card of "The Music Tower at Night -Playland, Rye, NY."
Another hand painted beauty - Heidelberg at night with the castle lit up in reds,  rising out of the darkness over the river.
...Lots of good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 05:40:04 PM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2004, 05:41:17 PM »

My favorite postcard (I bought it for myself) had a picture of a beautiful lake with the caption:
The scenery is here!  Wish you were beautiful!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 05:42:26 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2004, 05:43:56 PM »

Actually, that's only one of my favorite postcards.  If I can find it, I'll try and scan my other favorite!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Robin

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2004, 06:00:21 PM »

What is it, fish?

Here's one of my favorites:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 06:04:49 PM by Robin »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »

Have gun, will travel, baby.

I am glad that the day portion of this day is over.  Now, let's have some FUN.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2004, 06:18:25 PM »

...My mother threw out all my old stuff after I'd had my house for a few years....Her explanation/argument was that if I had wanted those things, I should have gotten them once I bought my own house and had room for them.
But that's what every mother says when she forgets to ask about what can be tossed!

It's a lot more embarrasing when she says that, and you're still living at home!

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2004, 06:27:54 PM »

Jennifer---
I posted about that show last week when I read about it.  In order to keep the audience from laughing they told them that these performers were clients of "Make a Wish" whose wish was to perform in a televised talent contest.  That has to be one of the most sick things I ever heard.  (The "Make A Wish" comments have been edited out since "Make A Wish" found out about them).
I've come to the conclusion that many (or most) television producers are former lawyers who have decided to find another form of lucrative work.

If you can't do the slime, baby, you can't get prime time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2004, 06:35:43 PM »

Here's another great one...check out the angle of that approach!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »

I'm watching the much-maligned Mia Farrow/Danny Kaye version of Peter Pan.  

Robin

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2004, 06:37:01 PM »

I swear, this is the last one.  And I've saved the best for last...

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »

Rhapsody in Blue, which is still my favorite piece of music ever.  

One of my all time favorites too Robin!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »

Noel Coward?  This sounds more like something cut from Aspects of Love!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2004, 06:46:53 PM »

Had another job interview today, a second interview with a new manager.  Things look pretty good, all she needs to do is check with her boss about what they can offer me as pay.

At this point, a great salary isn't what I need.  I need to work, to get something going outside the home again!  

Der Brucer and I celebrated with burgers at the Purple Parrot.  It felt so great not to cook for one night.  (Insert "satisfied sigh" smiley.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2004, 06:49:49 PM »

Does anyone know if cicadas are really good eats?  I keep reading this, I've even found some recipes, but can't get past the buggy part.

I do know they aren't considered kosher.  This is from the University of Maryland:

You Can Eat Cicadas, But Are They Kosher?
Not according to the Orthodox Union (OU), an international kosher certification agency - "The Mishnah lists the requirements needed for an insect to be considered kosher. It must have four legs plus two which are the length of the insect which are used for jumping. It must be known as a 'chagov,' translated as grasshopper, and have a tradition handed down from generation to generation that it is a kosher insect. The cicada is not a kosher insect."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 06:51:32 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2004, 07:05:47 PM »

George, funny postcards.

Panni your postcards sound beautiful.  I think it’s wonderful you all get along well enough to be invited to the wedding.  

I loved to read and loose myself in a story long before I needed to escape there.  I think books and movies took on different meanings later.  Cinderella is a perfect example.  At first it was just a sweet story I loved.  By the time I was twelve I began identifying with her.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2004, 07:10:32 PM »

SWW-hope this is the job for you.  GOOD VIBES!

I just emailed your Cicada question to a friend in DC. ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »

Re: postcards

I still love them, and go to one postcard show a year.  But a few years back I was collecting and trading a lot.  My favorite categories were: musicals/theatre, stadiums, maps, and free cards/rack cards.

Sometimes at postcard shows I will find interesting, unusual cards.  You just have to be careful, because some cards are very expensive!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up