Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28314 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:00:55 AM »

Well, you've read the posts, you've been surprised, surprised, you know what we're celebrating and you know the topic, so there is only one surprise left: Post, until the cows come home.  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:01:02 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:17:10 AM »

BON ANNIVERSAIRE, FRANCOIS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:35:35 AM »

HBDRF!  (That's Happy Birthday Dear Reader Francois, in Internet lingo.)

A couple of questions for our esteemed BK and all the Hainesies and Kimlets:  How tall are you?  And, if you had a choice, would you rather be taller than you are now, or shorter?

For myself, I'm six foot two inches.  But I wouldn't have minded being taller.  The way I figure, it's hard enough finding clothes that fit now, so I might as well go for the jackpot!

(Der Brucer is six foot even, or that's what he says.  I think he's averaging up.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:33:36 AM »

[font="courier new"]HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR
FRANCOIS!!
[/font]

My question for ASK BK day:

Did you BK personally experience any of Mr William Castle's gimmicks:  Emergo and/or The Tingler - or did you hold thumbs up for MR SARDONICUS?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:58:55 AM »

Another question for ask BK day: When you were on a famous TV show with the rock band America, what song did they play?

Dave
(Have I asked this question before, or have I just wanted to ask it forever? Is it even a valid question? Help me BK!)
Dave in the Valley

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:33:54 AM »

Good morning, all!  One bath, one cup of coffee, and I'm feeling rather groggy.  I need to organize myself this morning:  Mickey & Judy proofing, which is turning into an ordeal because the copyist was so lousy, maybe some Eubie Blake from 1940, then a lot of work on this June concert for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus which is behind schedule.

I,m looking forward to Goodspeed, if only to get out of New York in June and July; it's already muggy here, and I don't know if the promised rain happened last night or not.  If I had my druthers, I'd druther have cold and humidity than warm and humidity.  I already feel like I need another bath, and I've been out of the tub, what?, thirty minutes!

So, I have no questions this morning, no answers, and I'm feeling aimless, but I might later.  Que sera sera.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:45:09 AM »

Happy Birthday Francois
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 04:45:20 AM »

Welcome Back Jason
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 04:49:14 AM »

Dear: DR Panni

I think DOOL actress Peggy McKay was being McCoy. On this Friday's episode the "BIG TWIST" is revealed and everyone who was murdered by Marlana (sp) is revealed to be alive. First shown is Frances Reid who will later in the day be receiving a lifetime Emmy award. Producer/writer (whose name i don't remember) worked it out that she is shown to be alive as he said that he did want her to be dead when she accepted her Emmy.

Unfortunatly the same can't be said for Anna Lee.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 04:53:50 AM »

What was is like working with Don Knotts and Tim Conway on The Apple Dumpling Gang? Any amusing stories?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 04:55:34 AM »

When you were filming Raquet did you know how bad the film was going to be? How did the other established actors like Phil Silvers feel about being in the film?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 04:57:02 AM »

From the time you recorded the cast album of Stages to your most recent trip to the studio. What has been the most significant changes in the recording process?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 05:00:23 AM »

When you would film at studios like Paramount, the Columbia Ranch and others. Which had the most "history" for you? Would you walk around the backlots and visit the standing sets from the films of your youth? Did it spoil the magic for you or did it enhance it?
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 05:23:27 AM »

Oh, my! So many things to talk about. First (and second)

Happy (cause I saw it first in the notes before I read the rest of the Tuesday posts)

Welcome

Birthday

Back

François

Jason

As I mentioned early in the posts yesterday, I'm a Crunchy man. And peanut butter on toast is GREAT, especially in the morning with a cup of hot coffee and half a ruby red grapefruit.

A grilled cheese sammy and a bowl of cream of tomato soup (especially on a rainy day). Umm, umm, umm.

Yes, Jose, It's All Relative did get cancelled. Also cancelled was Married to the Kellys. Anthony really liked that show (I was middling about it). I think he related to the fact that it was about an only child from New York who marries a bright, perky girl from the Midwest (I guess that would be moi) who has a big family and how he adapts to that new life.

I need to get a haircut (more than one actually - cut hairs that is). A short summer bob (or Fred or Arnold).

I am becoming addicted to Spider Solitaire. It comes with Windows XP.

I am 5ft 3in and proud of every inch (go to town TCB).

Actually, I am happy with my height. There were times when I was performing when it was irritating, especially when boneheads said things like, "you were so good, but you're just too short".

I guess I needed to go to California where they can adjust camera angles and put you on boxes to hide things like height.

I might have mentioned this before, but in college another short actor (female) friend and I formed a company, (which started as a joke but we actually did 3 productions), called TOTS or Theatre Of The Short. Our press release mentioned shows like Chekov's lost classic, The Short Sisters, Frank Loesser's special re-write of How to Succeed in Business Without Being Tall, For Short Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Ladder Is Enuf, King Richard the Short, and on and on. The real shows we did were The Apple Tree (I LOVE that show), Mrs. Dally Has a Lover (I actually got to play a romantic lead) and for the life of me, I can't remember the third show.

Anyway, I have come to terms with my height. It works for me and that's all that counts. Even though shopping for clothing is a difficult process (that's why I still have some clothes from 30 years ago, not because I'm a pack rat, but because the darn things still fit and they look good) and forget shoes. I'm in the rapidly disappearing size range of Mens 6. Try to find decent looking shoes in that size. Hah, I tell you! Hah! I can wear a unisex looking Womens 8 in tennis or track shoe but those are difficult to find also.

Enough of this. It's turning into the proverbial novella so I'll post and come back with my question later. And I actually have a question today. I'm so verbose. What's gotten into me?

Ben

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 05:40:20 AM »

OK, here is my question (actually it's a convoluted question with more than one buried deep inside)

Question for BK and Panni and Charles (and any others who want to chime in - I mention Panni and Charles because they are screenwriters/writers as well).

Having been on a theatre binge lately, trying to see as many of the shows as I can before the Tonys (June 6th, CBS 8pm-11pm), I began to wonder about the difference between playwrights and screenwriters. More specifically, why do you think playwrights have more control over their work in the theatre than screenwriters do in film? I know that if a playwright is unhappy with a production, he can pull the show. That can't happen in a movie, right? They will just replace the screenwriter and it goes to arbitration as to who gets final credit, right? Is it because the movie studio and/or producer own the rights to the movie and they have ultimate say about what is written? I know there are unions for both playwrights and screenwriters. Is there a big difference between the two organizations (Screenwriters Guild of America and Dramatists Guild). Does Dramatists Guild have any influence outside of New York and Broadway? This is turning into more than one question and it seems rather convoluted to me. If you can figure out my questions and feel like answering, please do so.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:20:20 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 05:56:53 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Francois!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 05:58:44 AM »

Oh no, I'm just reading last night's posts and now all I can think about is egg McMuffins. :)

Welcome back DR Jason.  We've missed you!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 06:05:08 AM »

I'm 5' 3 1/2.  You gotta add that half! :)

Re: last night's American Idol

I LOVED Diana's last song.  I know Clive Davis chose his own songs (I believe).  But he did a GREAT job choosing songs.

I also really loved Fantasia's last song.  She is so emotional and seems to be able to really feel everything she sings.

But I will agree with MattH from last night.  The judges totally praised Fantasia, and have basically announced her as the winner.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 06:11:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu,[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu,[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire cher François,[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu![/move]

Question for BK and all other restaurant-goers:  How comfortable do you feel about asking for something that's not on the menu?  Are there places where you do this all the time or other places where you would not even dare?

Height-wise, I am 6'1".  I sprouted up fairly early, and up until high school I tended to slouch slightly probably because I was embarassed by my size.  High school was a relief in that the other guys caught up with me.  I still slouched, though, and it wasn't until my first acting teacher got his hands on me in college that I finally straightened up and stood tall.  Today I would say that I'm comforatable with my height, thought I would admit that I am somewhat startled when I meet someone who is taller.

DR Panni (and other game-sters) check out www.snood.com.  Snood is my favorite waste of time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:12:27 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 06:18:07 AM »

DR Panni and JR - Thank you SO MUCH for introducing me to BookWorm. How I will get ANY work done today is now beyond my frame of comprehension. I am currently at 19,690. Using those flaming tiles has become an obsession. If I get fired, it's on your heads ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 06:38:15 AM »

LOL - I got over 40,000!

I just watched THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL documentary again....and the movie.  That John Smithee is SOME dancer!

Ben

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 06:54:23 AM »

Right now I'm at 43,550

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 06:57:30 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR. Francois!!

I am 6' even. Seems to have worked well for me. Can't really say I've ever really wanted to be any taller or any shorter. My older brother is about an inch taller.

I have no clue who the final two will be tonight on AMERICAN IDOL. Obviously we've learned that you can't go by performance. And you can't go by judges' reactions. That's the biggest surprise of this year's show: its utter unpredictability.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 06:58:56 AM »

Good morning, all. I can't believe I'm actually up at this hour...remember the good old days when I wouldn't get to bed until 6 or 7 in the a.m.? Ahh...Memories...light the corners of my mind...

All this talk of Egg McMuffins makes me want a sausage biscuit with egg and hash browns. McDonald's breakfast used to be such a treat...I suppose it still is, though it makes me sick from all the grease now. So here I sit, eating my blueberry muffin from the local Dunkin Donuts, drinking my first glass of water for the day and thinking, GEEZ! I wish I had some real food. As you may have gathered by now, I've started watching what I eat. I've also joined...are you ready for this, Dear Readers?...a gym! It's just the YMCA, but it's a gym nonetheless. I've been going for a month and a half now and though I can't tell you how much weight I've lost (I avoid scales) I can tell you that my clothes either fit properly now or they're entirely too big. Now, you may be asking yourself, "But, Jason...when do you find the time?!?" Well, Dear, Inquisitive Reader, that's a good question and I wish I could answer it. Actually, I've been hitting the gym between the hours of 11 p.m. and 1 a.m., primarily because that's the only time I've had to get there. After forty-five minutes on the stairmaster, I can tell you with all certainty that it is nearly impossible to get to sleep, but somehow I manage. I've all but given up sodas, which has been the most difficult part for me, and I've altered my portion sizes. When I can, I choose baked or grilled over fried and I hardly ever eat a whole bag of Peanut M&Ms in one sitting anymore. ;-) I haven't told my parents--I want to surprise them when I go home in July--so I'm excited to find out if they notice a difference.

What else? Hmm... Oh, yes...the summer. Obviously, if I'm going home for a week in July, I'm not doing summerstock this year. I auditioned like a madman and still got nothing, which is part of what prompted the change in my food regiment. I'm going to take this summer, however, to reshape, rebuild and refine myself into a lean, mean singing/acting machine and by next summer people will be falling all over themselves to hire me for their seasons. In the meantime, I've decided to take a full-time receptionist job here at MTI so that I can afford to take classes and send out mailings and pay off my credit card and all that jazz. The position becomes officially available in September, and according to the figures my accountant gave me at tax time, I'll make double what I made last year AND I'll have health benefits (finally). I'm going to technically commit to one year...if I get an acting job that would merit my quitting, I can do that--if not, then I guess I'll stay on until something better rolls around. Did I mention I'll get paid vacation days as well as personal and sick days? Well, I will. It's the only logical choice to make right now, and I think it's a good one.

Theatre I've seen in the last few months:  I got to see Luciano Pavarotti's final performance in TOSCA at the Met. I saw BOMBAY DREAMS. I'm seeing CAROLINE, OR CHANGE next weekend as well as the closing of GYPSY next Sunday afternoon, the new cast of 42nd STREET (shall I send my love to Shirley and Patrick, BK?), and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (this will, God love me, make the third time since February). I've seen BEAUTY AND THE BEAST twice this season (again, God love me) and I'm eagerly anticipating the day I get a rush ticket to ASSASSINS, since I haven't seen it yet. I really want to see RAISIN IN THE SUN since I've heard such wonderful things about Audra, Phylicia and Sanaa Lathan. SIXTEEN WOUNDED, I thought, was a wonderfully written show, and even though the show itself sort of bored me, I though Jefferson Mays was brilliant in I AM MY OWN WIFE. ANNA IN THE TROPICS was pretty decent and I finally got to see Matthew and Nathan in THE PRODUCERS. TABOO frightened me, but I thought the score was enjoyable in a 80's-retro kind of way. The new production of DON GIOVANNI at the Met was splendid (I have new-found admiration for Rene Pape--he was a wonderful Leporello) and I worked way too many performances of Wagner's RING to find any of the beauty in it. GOTTERDAMMERUNG (the fourth and final installment of DER RING) is six hours long. SIX HOURS OF NOTHING HAPPENING!! I was amazed by the number of people who saw THE RING all three times all the way through. I don't have the patience for Wagner's self-indulgence, but more power to 'em if they can stay awake for all of that mess.

Gosh, I'm rambling. I think I'll quit now and see what's going on with the rest of you...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:17:22 AM by Jason »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 07:22:40 AM »

DR Ben - Good question, but I'll chime in later with my version of the answer. My mind isn't working yet because I was up until 3 AM playing BookWorm. Score before I burned down the library: 98,750. (Very frustrating - I wanted to reach 100,000.)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 07:26:57 AM »

Welcome back Jason.  I've missed the disagreements we've had in the past.

For Ask BK Day---
I was listening to your recording of the York's MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG the other day, and as I was reading the credits on the back cover, I noticed that Jim Morgan was credited twice for set design.  Was this contractual or was it the only error I've ever found in the notes/credits on a BK-produced CD?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 07:31:44 AM »

WEL which song on the Genevieve EP did you like the best?

DRJASON congratulations on your gym resolve!  Would that we all could do it.

DRPANNI I just burned down the library at 42,290!  It is my goal to hit 50,000 sometime today.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 07:40:01 AM »

DR Jason, it sounds as if you've done some wonderful planning for your future and are on your way to making things happen. Good for you!

Mulling over my DVD choices for this afternoon. I think it will either be one of the new Marilyn Monroe DVDs that feature her in small supporting roles (AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL probably) or THE GREAT DICTATOR. Those are strange bedfellows for sure!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

I'm at 66,750 right now and like Panni, I'm aiming for 100,000

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 07:59:14 AM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DRMATTH both good choices!  I always get AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL confused with LOVE NEST!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up