Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28354 times)

MBarnum

Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »

Was Panni the one responsible!!!!

OK, I just became Master Librarian with a score of 172,250. My most valuable word was Sox (?).

I am discovering a lot of words that I had never heard of...and here is a helpful hint: The word Qua saved my butt a couple of times!!

Jason

« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2004, 04:57:51 PM »

Damn all those who have suggested BookWorm. My first game I scored 81,660. Not too bad for a first-timer, right?

What have I started with all this opera chatter? Of Mr. Strauss' work, I will say that I was totally enthralled by this season's offering of SALOME. I greatly enjoy ARIADNE AUF NAXOS, and the story of DIE FRAU OHNE SCHATEN intrigues me, but the music does not. I don't know ROSENKAVALIER, but I've heard it's wonderful.

I just listened to THE SCREAMS OF KITTY GENOVESE. What a horribly gruesome show! Very disturbing, very bizarre.

Now back to BookWorm...

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2004, 05:03:53 PM »

BK, next time there is a severe shortage of posts you know what will be responsible...this new devil's game that we have been introduced to! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »

Yes, and we shall blame Panni and we shall hit her upside the head and about the neck.  I'm only a senior librarian, but then I've only played three games and the first one I had no clue what I was doing.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2004, 05:12:04 PM »

Hey!  I just figured it out!  Didn't Dr Panni tell us a few weeks ago that she and DR DanInToronto were planning world domination?  Well I think that this Bookworm thing is part of their plot!  Yes!  Don't you all see?  We are all becoming hopelessly addicted to this seemingly harmless word game, ignoring our jobs, neglecting our families, totally oblivious to the events around us.  In the meantime, DR Panni and DR DanInToronto will casually take over the seats of power unchallenged. And by the time we look up from our computer screens it will be too late!  

Look, you fools!  You're in danger!  Can't you see?  They're after you! They're after all of us!  Our wives, our children, everyone!  They're here already!  YOU'RE NEXT!

And by the way, Soylent Green is people!  And it's quite tastey spread on rye with fresh tomatoes and garlicy mayonaise!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2004, 05:18:14 PM »

Dan the Man knows too much. He must die.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2004, 05:22:17 PM »

RE: Fine & Dandy

I worked the first recording session with Carolee Carmello, but haven't recieved my copy yet.  I can only say that "Nobody Breaks My Heart" is still ringing in my ears...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2004, 05:31:25 PM »

Jay, have you ever watched Fritz Lang's silent classics  Siegfried and Kreimheld's Revenge.  Both eminently watchable.  Good stuff!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2004, 05:35:07 PM »

One of the most horrible experiences I ever had as an audience member (or as a human being, for that matter) was at a performance of THE FLYING DUTCHMAN by the Canadian Opera Company (or whatever it's called). We had been given opening night tickets by the costume designer of the production, Suzanne Mess. House seats - very good - very prominent. The maiden, Senta, was - shall we say - ample. The way the set wes raked, it gave the impression that it swayed as she walked. And when she jumped off the cliff at the end, it looked like the ship in the distance sank from the tsunami she created. Hard to explain - but - to me - hilarious. I had been sort of quietly laughing for some time prior to the climax, but at that moment I burst into loud, uncontrolable guffaws - which could be seen and heard by one and all - including the woman who'd kindly comped us. MORTIFYING. But funny.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 05:38:19 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2004, 06:09:44 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2004, 06:19:31 PM »

Hey!  I just figured it out!  Didn't Dr Panni tell us a few weeks ago that she and DR DanInToronto were planning world domination?  Well I think that this Bookworm thing is part of their plot!  Yes!  Don't you all see?  We are all becoming hopelessly addicted to this seemingly harmless word game, ignoring our jobs, neglecting our families, totally oblivious to the events around us.  In the meantime, DR Panni and DR DanInToronto will casually take over the seats of power unchallenged. And by the time we look up from our computer screens it will be too late!  

And by the way, Soylent Green is people!  And it's quite tastey spread on rye with fresh tomatoes and garlicy mayonaise!

They're on to us Panni. And it's only a matter of time before they twig to the hidden messages in the tiles.

Meanwhile, DR Dan (the Man) (So what am I, Dan (the chopped liver?)), I think you've solved the mystery of DR Sandra's taffy. The secret flavor is Soylent.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:21:05 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2004, 06:22:32 PM »

Welcome to heaven, DRELMORE!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »

I had a yummilicious BLT for luncheon at noon.  Now I'm trying to decide if that will be it, or if I will give in to my In and Out burger craving.  Only time will tell.  And why is that?  Why will only time tell.  Why does time have to always be the one to tell?  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  Best score: 4th game - 128,670.  Best word score: COLON - 1620.

Danise

« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2004, 06:39:29 PM »

Hi folks,

Sorry to have been E & T.  A lot has happened in the past few days and among other things I have been buried in e-mails to answer.  

I had a wonderful time on the trip.  I won’t bore you with the TONS of pictures I took of Mr. Ball but will show you two of the best I took.

Give me a few days and I will tell you all about it.  I need to edit my notes on the trip.

At this point I guess I should be saying I am getting ready for the NYC trip but it looks like that may not happen.  I had a medical problem in Utah and have already been to the doctor about it.

He said he wasn’t going to tell me not to go but unless I can get control of it (considering I have no family in NYC) I could be in BIG trouble and all alone in a strange city.  I’ve been put on heavy meds and already have had some tests run.  I need to see what they say and if the meds take effect.  He suggested Friday as the day to choose if I should go or not.   Sigh.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to all those I missed and a special Happy Godhood Day to Elmore![/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2004, 06:40:44 PM »

Here is a color shot.  I was messing with the camera, trying everything to get the best pictures.  

BTW  I LOVE my digital camera!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2004, 06:45:11 PM »

Robin, you brought up something I've noticed just recently.  KFC as opposed to Kentucky Fried Chicken...Are they making a conscious effort to phase out the name?   Though the grub there gets a bad rap, I do feel the need to indulge every so often...always original recipe for me.

Yup, they're going all out to look hip, cool and not greasy.  

Here in Minnesota, lots of KFC's are doubling up with A&W, so the signs read:

KFC A&W

Whenever we go there, I want my food ASAP, PDQ and on the QT.  

And original recipe rules!!!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2004, 06:46:47 PM »

I am so sorry you are not feeling well, Danise.  I hope you get to feeling better very soon.  But, please, just tell me one thing:  Was he wonderful???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Robin

« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2004, 06:48:59 PM »

I usually get into the 180,000-200,000 point range on BookWorm.  I guess being a Scrabble-holic helps at that game.  

By the way, I'm just a few hairs over six feet tall.  I think that's just right.  (Now, I'd just like to take about twenty pounds off, and all will be right with the world.  But I despise dieting...)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2004, 06:54:37 PM »

Danise the pictures are great and I hope you work things out by Friday.  I look forward to hearing about the concert.

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2004, 06:58:30 PM »

DR Danise, it sounds like you had a ball with Michael Ball in Utah!

I hope you can make your NYC trip! But do try to get well first. You know of course all DRs will be sending get well vibes your way!

If only Mr. Ball knew what you go through for him! LOL!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2004, 07:05:41 PM »

You must all STOP TALKING about this Bookworm now!  I will not be tempted.  I love my Scrabble.  I play Solitaire Boggle all the time.  But I'm not going somewhere else that I can waste time!  So stop it!  Do not tease me this way anymore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2004, 07:15:30 PM »

Welcome to heaven, DRELMORE!

Thank you, DR JRand53 and DR Danise!  I was feeling so good about my first two scores on Bookworm but everyone else's scores leave me in the dust.  I was lousy at chess, too, and  I think I'm too impatient to weigh all possibilities before jumping in.  It's a nifty game, though, and I will keep playing.

I've tracked down the one song I was working on JRans, so now I'll get to work on yours.

DR Danise, in  laste summer, 1999, I had several ruptured cervical discs causing my motor control to go to hell:  I could hardly walk, couldn't hold a pencil, could not control my abdominal musicles, bladder and bowels, and before they diagnosed it I was convinced I was dying of multiple sclerosis, muscular systrophy, cancer, brain tumor, or something yet to be discovered.  I
was turning down work, including some work for Patti Lupone, telling people I was too busy because I didn't want anyone to know I might never work again.  I had to go to London in late November for the Cole Porter Trust to supervise the BBC-Radio 3 performances of JUBILEE, and even though I had doubts, my chiropactor and neurologist advised me to go.  By that point the ruptured discs had been found and all I was doing was waiting around for my HMO to allow the surgery.

I went gingerly to London, fell down on Bell Street and couldn't raise myself because there was no support for me to drag myself back up on my feet.  I lay there on my back flopping around like a beached whale and some kind young Pakastani or India student passing by helped me up.  I spent one day in the hospital, missing a rehearsal, attended to by a beautiful blond Scottish doctor who reminded me of my first NYC roommate Melanie Carvil.  The flight back after the performances was a major ordeal, but a week after I got back I saw a neurosurgeon and a week later, the first Friday in Dec. 1999, I had the surgery, which was relatively successful.

Am I glad I didn't cancel the trip?  Very.  Would I have done it if I knew the ordeal?  I don't know.  Half of me says no, but the other half is grateful that I got to meet some wonderful performers including the late great Denis Quilley and I know I have great reliant friends in London.  However, if you're having health problems, I'd seriously consider the pros and cons.

If you come, I look forward to seeing you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2004, 07:20:56 PM »

elmore I'm glad it all worked out for you.  That had to have been frightening.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2004, 07:27:59 PM »

Danise, I'm so sorry to hear you had problems on your trip. ~~~~~~~  for your medical test results!!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2004, 07:41:51 PM »

Embarrassing Moment of the Evening: I'm in my apartment...I'm enjoying the DREAMGIRLS Concert Recording at a high volume...I'm singing along with the DREAMGIRLS Concert Recording, again--at a high volume (I believe the song was "Ain't No Party"), and I swing the door open to go to the bathroom and there stands one of my neighbors, looking at me like I'm a complete freak. Of course, the fact that someone was there scared the shite out of me and I nearly jumped out of my robe. If my neighbor didn't hate me before, I'm sure he does now...or he at least thinks I'm a thoroughly ridiculous person. Oh, horror!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2004, 07:52:50 PM »

Embarrassing Moment of the Evening: I'm in my apartment...I'm enjoying the DREAMGIRLS Concert Recording at a high volume...I'm singing along with the DREAMGIRLS Concert Recording, again--at a high volume (I believe the song was "Ain't No Party"), and I swing the door open to go to the bathroom and there stands one of my neighbors, looking at me like I'm a complete freak. Of course, the fact that someone was there scared the shite out of me and I nearly jumped out of my robe. If my neighbor didn't hate me before, I'm sure he does now...or he at least thinks I'm a thoroughly ridiculous person. Oh, horror!

I find the way to cope with several tenants on my floor is to realize they're the thoroughly ridiculous ones and pursue my interests immune from their often superior attitude.  I may have taken that crap in high school but never ever again!  I try not to intrude on their space and I'll be damned if they do on mine.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2004, 07:53:52 PM »

Ooh, I'm getting vexed and testy.  I guess it's time for bed.  Good night, all!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 07:54:20 PM by elmore3003 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2004, 07:53:53 PM »

I'm a quarter of an inch under 5'11", but I've always put 6" on my acting resume because people always thought I was six feet.  I have...or at least had...very good posture.
Slaving over a keyboard has that effect, I've heard. :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2004, 07:55:59 PM »

Jay, have you ever watched Fritz Lang's silent classics  Siegfried and Kreimheld's Revenge.  Both eminently watchable.  Good stuff!

I have not seen them complete, but I have seen excerpts from them and, I agree, they were most engaging.  Would like to see them in their entirety.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2004, 07:59:20 PM »

Well, where's the flourish of strumpets?  I just rose to the Heavens!
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]DR Elmore3003 has ascended![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up