Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SURPRISE, SURPRISE  (Read 28328 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SURPRISE, SURPRISE
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 08:06:34 AM »

Well, one of them has the wonderful Monty Wooley which is why I'll probably go with AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL over LOVE NEST. Hopefully, it'll look as good as MONKEY BUSINESS from the last boxed set.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 08:25:43 AM »

I take a few days off from the posting and reading at HHW and I miss SANDWICH DAY?!?  Note to self: never take a day off.

Question for DRs Michael Shayne and Jennifer:  I know both of you are current or former West Islanders.  Have you ever been to Smoked Meat Pete's inbetween Saint-Anne de Bellevue and Dorion?  The guy who owns it used to be a partner in Schwartz's and I personally think their sandwiches better than what you can find on the Main.  You should defintely check the place out if you can.

Mucho yum.

Happy Birthday François and Welcome Back Jason!!! :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:25:58 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2004, 08:47:19 AM »

Good Morning!

Just remember, DR Jason, if you want to lose 16 pounds in 11 days, do what I did... Come down with two bacterial infections at the same time, and take up to five antibiotics that will upset your stomach like nothing else has before.. and Voila!!  -NOT!!!!

-So, I guess now more Galaxy bars for you?!?! :-X

Well, I did my Pilates, had my bowl of cereal, and started a load of laundry - I'm really liking the "results" I get with the Woolite for dark clothes, just perfect for all my "pit blacks".  And now...

Questions for BK - and/or other DRs:

Hershey's Syrup, Quik, and/or Ovaltine?

With or without Almonds?

Rye: with or without caraway seeds?

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?

-I'll try to come up with some non-food related questions later...

Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 08:52:29 AM »

Jose: Thanks but no thanks on the bacterial infections. But I'll gladly break my own rules for a Galaxy bar every now and then. :-)

Almonds: I can take or leave 'em.

Rye: No, thank you. I'll take whole wheat.

Strawberry Quik and lots of it.

Original Recipe--white meat only.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 08:53:02 AM »

None of the above.

Only Fox's U-bet syrup will do.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2004, 08:54:27 AM »

On AI last night:

The judges seemed to have decided what they were going to say before the show started.

First, and least -- Jasmine was outclassed all night.  Nothing she sang was remotely in the same class as the other two competitors.

Second -- Diana deGarmo's first song was a knockout.  I know it, and the audience who she sang it to knew it.  Randy gave one of his patented "bleh" responses, and the litany began, one after the other, as well-rehearsed as the singers.  Simon felt compelled, however, to tell Diana to ignore the audience (i.e., the folks who would be voting and, potentially, buying records -- Simon has no regard at all for the public).

Fantasia was pretty good each time, although I thought her second song was far and away her best performance.  

Diana has a greater range, and is far more flexible in the various musical genres, than any of the contestants we have seen.

Fantasia has a unique voice which makes it "seem" like she's doing unique takes on songs, but I'm not convinced anything she did last night was any more unique or original than Diana.

As MattH has said, the judges decided to do their annointing last night.

Unfortunately for them, the most vociferous was Simon, and backlash usually ensues.

Bottom line: It ain't over til it's over.  There's one more week of competition and we don't know who will be competing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:54:49 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 09:10:13 AM »

Today, all over this great country of ours, thousands upon thousands of people will be losing their jobs.  And the only two common denominators ever found, will be Guy Haines………..

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 09:10:55 AM »

…… and Bookworm!
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2004, 09:14:12 AM »

Happy Day Francios!

Hmmm...so many questions today. BK will be a busy guy!

Ok, this is my last day off. Must return to work tomorrow  :-\
It was nice while it lasted!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2004, 09:15:37 AM »

Questions for BK - and/or other DRs:

No Bosco or Cocoa Marsh?  Then I take what is offered by Frau Blücher--[horses whinny]--and choose Ovaltine.

With or without Almonds?

Without

Rye: with or without caraway seeds?

With seeds!

Original Recipe or Extra Crispy?

I haven't liked the Colonel for years.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2004, 09:17:08 AM »

An interview with Simon in the NY TIMES has him predicting that Diana will inevitably win. He also had no love for LaToya London's attitude. He grugingly conceded that Clay Aiken did have talent, but that he wouldn't last two seconds at either a Clay or Diana concert. (And this is the man who brought us the Spice Girls?)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2004, 09:19:55 AM »

1.)  Quik

2.)  Without nuts

3.)  Either way.  A rye is a rye is a rye

4.)  Original without a doubt, but Barbecued is a close second
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2004, 09:29:53 AM »

I've been gathering a ton of new CDs lately...some of them of the tacky variety...and I've just been given a new demo to listen to: "The Screams of Kitty Genovese." I can't decide if it's a brilliant topic for a serio-dramatic musical or if it's simply a tacky travesty. I am, however, intrigued by the story.

I got one LAST week, however, that is the epitome of tacky travesties: PRINCESS DIANA THE MUSICAL. Yikes! I'm very much looking forward to getting my copy of UGH: THE CAVEMAN MUSICAL today from a co-worker, and then there's THE BLACK TULIP, which I recieved about a month ago. It's about the tulip madness that ran rampant through Holland in the late 1600's. Quite horrible, but delightfully so...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »

I've been gathering a ton of new CDs lately...some of them of the tacky variety...and I've just been given a new demo to listen to: "The Screams of Kitty Genovese." I can't decide if it's a brilliant topic for a serio-dramatic musical or if it's simply a tacky travesty. I am, however, intrigued by the story.

I got one LAST week, however, that is the epitome of tacky travesties: PRINCESS DIANA THE MUSICAL. Yikes! I'm very much looking forward to getting my copy of UGH: THE CAVEMAN MUSICAL today from a co-worker, and then there's THE BLACK TULIP, which I recieved about a month ago. It's about the tulip madness that ran rampant through Holland in the late 1600's. Quite horrible, but delightfully so...

Some things never change.  It is nice to know, Jason, that you are just as cute as always, and just as weird!
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »

TCB - As I am my own boss, I have decided no to fire me for playing BookWorm on the company computer. I am also giving me a raise and sending me flowers for being such a loyal employee.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2004, 09:40:19 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-I'm sorry if I left off some more regional/specialty choices of chocolate syrup.  Which leads me to another question - which was sort of hinted at in the yesterday's posts/answers:

Is there one particular restaurant, road side stand, shack, etc., that serves one particular food item that would gladly go out of your way for to have whenever you are near it - or not near it?

For myself:

Chicago - Ann Sather's for those sticky, cinnamon buns.  And/or a Chicago Beef from a couple of favorite places.

Richmond - Sally Belle's bakery for any of the wonderful cupcakes, and her ham salad sandwiches.  And the Cinna-Bean (cinnamon ice cream with chocolate covered espresso beans) at Bev's Ice Cream.

DC area - The flourless chocolate waffle at the Carlyle Grand Cafe - although I wish they would bring back the macadamia brittle ice cream to accompany it.  -Oh, and their appetizer of home-made potato chips topped with blue cheese and pesto - served warm!

New York - Hmmm... Tooooo many choices... But for right now, the "Snowy Chocolate" at Cones.

-I think we sort of covered this topic before... ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »

JRand - "I Love Paris" which is the bedst song in the score.  When I worked withg her she added it to SILK STOCKINGS.

A couple of things I read today.  Considering they were in the NYPost they are probably not true:

1) Queen Latifah may star in the Broadway revival of MAME

2) Antonio Bandares will be returning to Broadway in a Yeston/Stone version of "Death Takes a Holiday"

3) None of the three hosts showed up for the NY screening of the Stritch documentary: Nathan Lane, Hugh Jackman or BK's close friend Steve Sondheim.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2004, 10:00:42 AM »

HBDRF!  (That's Happy Birthday Dear Reader Francois, in Internet lingo.)

A couple of questions for our esteemed BK and all the Hainesies and Kimlets:  How tall are you?  And, if you had a choice, would you rather be taller than you are now, or shorter?

For myself, I'm six foot two inches.  But I wouldn't have minded being taller.  The way I figure, it's hard enough finding clothes that fit now, so I might as well go for the jackpot!

(Der Brucer is six foot even, or that's what he says.  I think he's averaging up.)

I am five foot ten inches in my stocking feet.  In just my feet I'm five foot ten inches also.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2004, 10:02:17 AM »

[font="courier new"]HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR
FRANCOIS!!
[/font]

My question for ASK BK day:

Did you BK personally experience any of Mr William Castle's gimmicks:  Emergo and/or The Tingler - or did you hold thumbs up for MR SARDONICUS?

I saw Haunted Hill and The Tingler on their original release, but the theaters I saw them in didn't have the gimmicks.  I've never seen Sardonicus, although I have it on DVD and will catch up with it soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2004, 10:04:10 AM »

Another question for ask BK day: When you were on a famous TV show with the rock band America, what song did they play?

Dave
(Have I asked this question before, or have I just wanted to ask it forever? Is it even a valid question? Help me BK!)

I don't recall being on a show with America, although, I suppose, they could have been one of the guests on Dinah Shore and Her New Best Friends.  I do remember The Doobie Brothers and Paul Williams on the show.  Were they on one of the Donny and Marie shows?  I guess that's a possibility, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2004, 10:04:27 AM »

I am watching BILLIE in the awful MGM DVD pan and scan non stereo disk.  And I remember that I really liked the movie when I saw it in the theatre....saw it a few times, bought the soundtrack....

Bobby Diamond and Warren Berlinger and Patty Duke.  What a wonderful tale of gender confusion.  Duke gives a wonderful performance.  And as MR BK says Jane Greer is lovely as the mother and a perfect foil for Mr Jim Backus.  The rest of the supporting cast is excellent as well....kind of a TV movie blown up on the big screen.

And yes there is Donna McKechnie dancing to beat the band.  MR BK do you recognize any of the kids in the numbers from your class?  I would imagine that you recognize several of the steps and combinations.  And is David Winters among the dancers?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2004, 10:06:16 AM »

What was is like working with Don Knotts and Tim Conway on The Apple Dumpling Gang? Any amusing stories?

I remember them being very nice and very funny.  No real stories, though.  I also loved working with John McGiver.  I remember Tim Conway's license plate even now: 13 WEEKS or WKS, which was in honor of several TV series he was in that only lasted that amount of time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2004, 10:08:10 AM »

When you were filming Raquet did you know how bad the film was going to be? How did the other established actors like Phil Silvers feel about being in the film?

Yes, I had an inkling that it would be bad.  The production was chaos, the director didn't know what he wanted to do and Convy was pretty much running things (not necessarily for the better, although I really liked him and he really liked me).  I only worked with Convy and Tanya Roberts so I don't know how poor Phil felt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2004, 10:10:15 AM »

From the time you recorded the cast album of Stages to your most recent trip to the studio. What has been the most significant changes in the recording process?

Well, pro tools certainly - no tape and much easier to do fixes and punch-ins and to move things around.  You do lose a little warmth and air in the actual recording, which I always try to put back in either the mix or the mastering process.  The biggest change between Stages and the most recent trip is that at some point I learned what I was doing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2004, 10:12:50 AM »

When you would film at studios like Paramount, the Columbia Ranch and others. Which had the most "history" for you? Would you walk around the backlots and visit the standing sets from the films of your youth? Did it spoil the magic for you or did it enhance it?

Has anyone noticed that Michael Shayne is on a roll?  Sadly, I was so immersed in just having a job and showing up to work prepared and professional, that I never realized just WHERE I was working.  I worked quite a bit at the Ranch (all the Partridge Family shows were shot there), and Paramount, as well as Warners and Fox and Columbia on Gower - and today, of course, I would walk around and nose around, but back then I just didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2004, 10:16:26 AM »

OK, here is my question (actually it's a convoluted question with more than one buried deep inside)

Question for BK and Panni and Charles (and any others who want to chime in - I mention Panni and Charles because they are screenwriters/writers as well).

Having been on a theatre binge lately, trying to see as many of the shows as I can before the Tonys (June 6th, CBS 8pm-11pm), I began to wonder about the difference between playwrights and screenwriters. More specifically, why do you think playwrights have more control over their work in the theatre than screenwriters do in film? I know that if a playwright is unhappy with a production, he can pull the show. That can't happen in a movie, right? They will just replace the screenwriter and it goes to arbitration as to who gets final credit, right? Is it because the movie studio and/or producer own the rights to the movie and they have ultimate say about what is written? I know there are unions for both playwrights and screenwriters. Is there a big difference between the two organizations (Screenwriters Guild of America and Dramatists Guild). Does Dramatists Guild have any influence outside of New York and Broadway? This is turning into more than one question and it seems rather convoluted to me. If you can figure out my questions and feel like answering, please do so.

I'll leave most of this to Charles and Panni.  I do know that screenwriters have no control over their work because the studio normally pays enormous sums to own it (or at least Guild minimums which is not chump change).  They playwright (correct me if I'm wrong) normally does not get paid for his play by the producer - the money kicks in once the show is up and running from his weekly royalties.  Therefore, the playwright retains control over his play - and is specifically protected that way by the Dramatists Guild, which is a whole different beast than the WGA.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2004, 10:18:15 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu,[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu,[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire cher François,[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux anniversaire au tu![/move]

Question for BK and all other restaurant-goers:  How comfortable do you feel about asking for something that's not on the menu?  Are there places where you do this all the time or other places where you would not even dare?

The only time I order off the menu, and I do it frequently, is at Italian restaurants where I usually ask if they'll do me some carbonara.  I've never been turned down.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2004, 10:23:03 AM »

For Ask BK Day---
I was listening to your recording of the York's MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG the other day, and as I was reading the credits on the back cover, I noticed that Jim Morgan was credited twice for set design.  Was this contractual or was it the only error I've ever found in the notes/credits on a BK-produced CD?

There are tons of errors in various booklets for CDs I've produced.  We try, we really do, but something always seems to slip by.  Looks like a stupid mistake to me, but since we usually used their credit billing block it may have been on their end, although we should have caught it.  There were times when I was doing so many albums at one time that I just had to leave the proofing to others, a dangerous game.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2004, 10:25:09 AM »

For those of you who care (JRand, Panni, TCB) I am a Senior Librarian having just burned down my library with 149,270 points and my best word was Viper with a point total of 1,890. I got a Z burning tile that I could not use!

Jason

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2004, 10:26:24 AM »

What is this BookWorm that you speak of? My curiosity is roused...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up