Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM  (Read 21089 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM
« on: May 20, 2004, 12:00:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten your notes fix, you're high on the notes, and now it is time to post to help me kick the Bookworm habit.  We can do it, man, if we stick together.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 12:01:56 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:15:25 AM »

I'm going to need to sleep on the questions.  The first is a little serious, and needs a serious answer.  The second is going to require my checking dates.  Or if not dates, then plums.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:37:07 AM »

Nobody here but us chickens.  I best not find out that the devil's spawn couldn't be bothered to show up here because she was playing Bookworm into the wee small hours of the morning.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:22:15 AM »

If one goes by the musical that played Broadway and were nominated for the Tony award......I would say that the song from the Producers that is the "11 o'clock number" Betrayed. That encapsulates the whole show up to that moment.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 03:23:37 AM »

I was addicted to coke once. But I stopped because the bubbles bothered my nose.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 04:58:54 AM »

Hmmmmmmm....I must have my Diet Pepsi, but other than that, there is nothing that I can't go without.

Twenty First Century theatre songs.....hmmmmmmm.....I will wait for some more lists.  Because, I can't think of any that I like the way I like earlier ones.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I am going to try to avoid Bookworm today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 06:24:01 AM »

21st Century Songs?  Anything from William Finn's ELEGIES.

BK - Wasn't MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM condemed by the Catholic church?  It was one of the rare cases where the Chicago Censor Board made a film strictly Adults Only.  The only other two that I can think of were THE MOON IS BLUE (another Premenger film) and SUSAN SLEPT HERE.  Since the Censor Board was made up primarily of police widows, these ratings were strictly observed, and a theatre could be fined or lose it's license if anyone under 18 was caught at one of these films --- with or without an adult.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »

What a wonderful topic.  I can't wait to see how people respond to the 21st Century theatre song question.

"Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" gets into my head and fills me with mirth.  The song debuted last year in Avenue Q but I recall hearing it in a workshop back in 1999, so I don't know whether that counts.

John Bucchino's "Temporary" bares a 2000 copyright.  Is 2000 21st Century?  I guess it is.  As one who can't stand change, this parent-to-child number from Urban Myths never fails to move me to tears.

What if it's a very theatrical song by a very theatrical writer (William Finn) but never appeared in a show?  I'm thinking of "Republicans."

What if it's a song from a musical (again by Finn) that hasn't yet been produced?  I'm thinking of "I Have Found" as sung at Don't Tell Mama by Joy Dewing.

You see, the best musicals written in recent years ARE NOT the musicals produced in recent years.

There's a very impressive song from a straight-to-video movie: "Better Than I" from some biblical cartoon, also by John Bucchino.

I bite my nails.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 06:39:05 AM »

Even with these, I am still at a loss.

WEL - what was objectionable about SUSAN SLEPT HERE, I wonder?  Just that fact that she did?  LOL....poor Debbie....an illegal sleepover.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 06:49:04 AM »

First of all, let me state unequivocally that I am NOT the spawn of the devil. The Devil ain't my daddy or my mommy or even my aunt. That's the truth! Would I lie to you?
Last night I was NOT playing Bookworm - well, only one game and I actually stopped mid-game. I went to bed early -- I was tired. I was sleeping. While nasty things were being said about my parentage, I, Panni, was innocently asleep. (The devil hasn't even visited Budapest, so how could I have been spawned by him/her? Huh? Answer me that!)
The reason I've been tired DRs is that there has been construction going on 24 hours a day near the vicinity of my casa. I'm not exaggerating - 24 hours. I hear non-stop drilling in the middle of the night. (Wasn't that a famous tune?) It's in the distance, true - but I'm a very light sleeper. Which means that I'm never quite asleep because - I HEAR DRILLING. And, of course, there are the cats meowing outside my window and all the other noises of the night. So I haven't had a good night's sleep in ages. Yawnnnnn.
Hope everything is cleared up. Have I mentioned that I'm not the spawn of the devil?
SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: PLAY BOOKWORM...PLAY BOOKWORM...PLAY BOOKWORM...PLAY BOOKWORM...  

Ben

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 06:50:42 AM »

Speaking of John Bucchino, there is a very good interview with him on BBC Radio 3 which will be up through Monday morning at 11am. It's on Stage and Screen. They don't play Temporary but they do play Better Than I which was from the animated film "Joseph"

Of course, here's the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/playlists/stagescreenn.shtml

I agree about Racist from Avenue Q. Even though the workshop started in 1999, I think of it as a song of the 21st Century.

Even though it's not Wednesday, Noel and Elmore, I wonder, do you have the same kind of creative control issues (or even different creative control issues) as Charles and Panni mentioned yesterday (in relation to my question about why playwrights have more control over their work than screenwriters).

I don't know if it's an addiction, but I certainly could stop myself from purchasing many of the CDs that I buy. I never thought I would have so many of the little buggers. I know that BK and other DRs probably have many more but I now have close to 300 CDs. I listen to many of them and I do thin them out occasionally but I still want them. Some I do get from the Library and I burn a copy but most of the CDs I own were purchased.

Also, I don't know if it was "addictive" but I have cut back on my coffee consumption CONSIDERABLY over the past few years. I love coffee but I just can't drink as much as I used to.

When I was 19 I had a bad cold that wouldn't seem to go away so I began to use a nasal spray to be able to breathe through the night. Lo and behold after too much use I had a serious problem and had to wean my way off of Afrin or whatever it was. I learned a lesson there and have not used a nasal spray since. Otherwise, despite the era in which I grew up, I never used drugs and since my father drank too much, I went the other way and don't drink. I have never had a cigarette in my life, except for one or two puffs as a teenager. It never made sense to me why people smoked and after gasping for air and, again, remembering my father's early morning hacking from years of cigarette smoking, decided I didn't need the smell, expense or danger of smoking. I hope I don't sound smug about it. That's not my intent at all. I am just quite happy that I never succumbed to the peer pressure (especially in the 60s and 70s) to begin smoking.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 06:55:53 AM »

Gosh, addictions? I do like soda, but I'm not a purist like many of the folks hee. I can drink Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi or Pepsi One or Diet Cheerwine or Diet Mountain Dew: as long as it's diet and a name brand, I'm a most happy fella (Frank Loesser reference).

I am a chocoholic, and find most days I must have my fix whether it be in ice cream or M&Ms (the supersized ones produced in honor of SHREK are NOT to my liking) or Reece's peanut butter cups or chocolate cake. A bad, bad habit that I would love to break but doubt I ever will. Thankfully, it doesn't take much to satisfy me, but I end up having a little something chocolate just about every day.

Theater songs? I'll have to thnk about that and write later. From 2001 onward, eh? Yep, I'll have to think about that.

Coming later today, a new George Eads picture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 06:57:53 AM »

Good grief, now y'all've got "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" running through my head.

My favorite theatre songs of the twenty-first century: "Dancin' Queen" and "Don't Cry Out Loud." "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart." "The Look of Love" and "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant."

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 07:17:11 AM »

I know not of new theater songs, so I will skip to the addictions:

Besides Bookworm (Panni, your message this morning gave me such a good laugh!!) I do have a slight problem with being addicted to Bollywood movies. I know that might come as a shock to some of your here at HHW, but it is true. I can't stay away from them! LOL!

And of course I did suffer through 15 years of being a cigarette smoker and have had to ween myself off of dark chocolate. But now I am clean! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 07:21:51 AM »

Liz Smith:

HOT RUMOR - that the multitalented "Chicago" Oscar-nominee, Queen Latifah, is being considered for a Broadway revival of Jerry Herman's enduring musical, "Mame."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05192004/gossip/liz.htm

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 07:27:25 AM »

Kristin Chenoweth is in  negotiations to play opposite Nicole Kidman in Columbia Pictures' feature film, "Bewitched." Chenoweth will play Kidman's nosey next-door neighbor Marie.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=RKXYVEE5W5L3UCRBAELCFFA?type=topNews&storyID=5190944
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 07:28:28 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 07:30:32 AM »

ANTONIO Banderas, who was nominated for a Tony last year for his tender and sexy performance in "Nine," may be back on Broadway next season.
The actor is in negotiations to star in "Death Takes a Holiday," a new musical by "Nine" composer Maury Yeston and the late book writer Peter Stone.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05192004/entertainment/21125.htm

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 07:38:38 AM »

Listening to your inner voice, by Kristin Chenoweth.

http://www.guideposts.com/weekly_feature.asp?date=5/18/2004
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 07:40:48 AM by Jennifer »

Jason

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 07:55:08 AM »

I think I'm addicted to blueberry bagels, toasted with butter. I KNOW I'm addicted to Sunkist Orange Soda. I've never had any desire to smoke, use drugs or drink alcohol--I have enough family members who do those things. I could very easily be addicted to Chik-Fil-A, but I had to go cold turkey on that when I moved up here. I could literally eat it for every meal and be quite happy. I'm also addicted to Krispy Kreme donuts, so I have to stay away from them.

Like Ben, I also have an addiction to compact discs. I re-organized my collection last week. It took nearly two and half hours to get through the showtunes alone. I have so many that I've created a database in my computer to keep track of them. According to my files, I have close to 400 cast recordings. Of those 400, SIX of them are various versions of LES MISERABLES. It's a sickness...truly.

And now my REAL votes for my favorite theatre songs of the 21st Century: Pretty much ANYTHING by John Bucchino (he's such a sweet man and a wonderful composer/lyricist), but especially "Temporary" and "If I Ever Say I'm Over You;" "Letting You Go" and "All the Wasted Time" by Jason Robert Brown; "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" by the AVENUE Q guys; "Defying Gravity" by Stephen Schwartz; "Lot's Wife" (Tanya Pinkins' Effie White moment) from CAROLINE, OR CHANGE; "The Vocalise Overture" from AMOUR; and "The Streets of Dublin" from A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE. I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now...especially some of Marcy & Zina's material, but I don't know when they were written...

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 07:57:59 AM »

Cheered by last night's AMERICAN IDOL results. The two best voices of the remaining three will be in the finals. That's as it should be. And how ironic that they faced off against each other in Round 1 of the semifinals. Fantasia came in first in the voting then and Diana second. I think Diana's imrpoved greatly since then, but song choice is everything. They announced on Wednesday's show that Tamyra Gray (4th place finisher from season 1) had written a song that both women will perform on Tuesday night. Don't know about the other choices.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 07:58:21 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol results

I wasn't surprised.  Usually after an upset, the next week's votes are not surprises.

I am actually quite happy with the two finalists (although I don't love either of them like I liked Clay last year).

Anybody else though find it interesting that these two were the two winners from week one.  And they were the two the judges were talking about before the competition even began.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 08:02:04 AM »

DR MattH, looks like we were making the same point at the same time. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 08:02:06 AM »

Good Morning!

Addictions... I guess the only thing I'm sort of addicted to is sugar... usually combined with cocoa... in the form of chocolate.  Other than that... Being the son of a registered dietitian, I never really got on a soda kick once I realized a regular can of soda was equivalent to eating about 11 teaspoons of sugar.  -Thankfully, I like most diet versions of soda - Diet Cherry Coke being my current fave, oh, and Fresca.

I've never "understood" smoking - just too smelly and messy to me.  And I've also never understood drinking alcohol for the sole purpose of getting drunk, plastered, passing out, etc.  I do a lot of work with college kids, and it saddens me when I overhear that their plans for the weekend include a case or two of beer and/or a few bottles of liquor.  "Hey, aren't you guys under the age of 21?!!?"  And I'm getting tired of seeing "cute pics" of kids in high school(!) holding beer cans and/or shot glasses and looking quite "happy".  "And you really think you look attractive when you're drunk?!??!"

As for 21st Century theatre songs... Besides, "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" from Avenue Q, I also like "It's a Fine, Fine Line" and "It Sucks To Be Me".  And Ann Harada's performance of "The More You Ruv Someone" is one of my favorite performances of the 21st century so far.

And DR Noel is correct - There is a ton of work that is very praise-worthy, very good, that just does not get produced.  And, consequently, does not get to be seen and heard by the public.  I wish there was an easy fix to this situation - well, maybe winning the lottery could be considered one - but there isn't.  I have a few composer/lyricist friends in NYC and elsewhere, and they are continually plugging away trying to get their work into a venue bigger than their apartment.  The key is just trying to make sure the "innate" frustration of the business does not overshadow the love and care of the craft.  Success comes in many shapes and sizes.

Well, I have a matinee in two hours... So...

Laters...

Oh, and FYI - still no Bookworm for me!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 08:10:40 AM »

OH!  I guess I am sort of addicted to TV... Well, "Trading Spaces", "In a Fix", "While You Were Out" (especially when Jason Cameron is the carpenter!).... and "Food 911" and "Good Eats"...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 08:18:26 AM »

Jay, I've just sent you a PM. (No, he's not assisting the spawn of the big D.)

Ben

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2004, 08:19:57 AM »

Yes, even though it doesn't "suck to be me", that song is another one of my faves in the new Millennium.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2004, 08:24:13 AM »

Jay, I've just sent you a PM. (No, he's not assisting the spawn of the big D.)

And I have responded, Dear Daughter of the Devil.

Just kidding, OK?   ;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2004, 08:24:39 AM »

I'll be having trouble with the theater song question because I liked songs from A MAN OF NO IMPORTANCE, AMOUR, URINETOWN, HAIRSPRAY, but I didn't play and play those cast albums enough to get the songs ingrained in my head. Once through and on to another CD. The only new show I've played relentlessly in the last couple of years was WICKED, and naturally there are several songs in it that I really, really liked.

Bottom line: I need to replay just about every cast CD I've bought in the last three years to be able to answer this question, and even though I'm retired, I sure don't have the time for that.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »

Yes, Jennifer, that was very funny we were noticing the same ironic situation in re Fantasia and Diana.

But I remember Paula telling Fantasia the night she sang in that first round that she was a star and a winner even then.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 08:39:53 AM »

Well, we need to move this discussion to page 2. Here's my effort.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up