Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM  (Read 21067 times)

Ben

Re:MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 08:40:17 AM »

To quote BK

"And one for Mahler"

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 08:48:45 AM »

I'm still mulling over what to say about GLOOMY SUNDAY. It was certainly a treat to see Budapest so lovingly shot -- what a gloriously beautiful city. And the leading lady, Erika Marozsan, was stunning to look at - and there was a lot of her to look at. The film took place in Budapest in the 1940's, but the characters spoke German. Some of the actors were Hungarian, others German. Miss Marozsan spoke German with a cute Hungarian accent. The film couldn't quite decide whether it was a JULES ET JIM sort of sophisticated love triangle, a melodrama, a black comedy or a tragedy. And the ending suddenly made it into something else altogether -- although I must confess I rather enjoyed the ending. I have to say that a propos of the TOD, the film is quite addictive in a rich chocolate mode. I heard the people in front of me saying that it was their third time seeing it. And it played in New Zealand for over a year. (Perhaps it's just Miss Marozsan's rather spectacular - and unaugmented -  breasts.) The song GLOOMY SUNDAY is played and played (various versions are cited in the end credits, including Artie Shaw's). The film would have you believe that suicide is quite the thing in Hungary - and that's true in a way. I know a number of people who went that way. Including my mother's fiance - which although tragic for him - he killed himself on the way to concentration camp - is lucky for me, or  it would be some other Panni writing this.
Well... I didn't mean to get heavy here or to write a novel.  Would i recommend the movie? Yes. To everyone? No.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 09:03:29 AM »

I've got CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79 to finish up this afternoon and then some things I recorded off of TV last night: ENTERPRISE (which is coming back next year albeit at 9 p.m. on Friday) and a rerun of MONK which I don't think I saw during first run. The description didn't ring a bell, so I'll start it, and if it's familiar, I can easily delete it.

Then, I haven't decided whether I'm going with THE GREAT DICTATOR which I had on tap yesterday or whether to crack open my MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR II tin. Or something else.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2004, 09:34:47 AM »

First of all, may I just say where in tarnation IS everyone?  

Second of all: dear reader Jennifer, if it's in Liz Smith's column it is simply not true.  It is a press agent planting a story to keep the client's name in the papers.  That's why the word "gossip" is in your link.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2004, 09:39:51 AM »

Oh, one other minor little addiction I had - when I was in college I used Vick's Inhaler, man.  Originally to clear up my stuffy nose, but then I just kept on using it, probably for a year.  Not too addictive, though, as I just stopped and had no withdrawal whatsoever.

Oh, and I'd say that being a collectaholic is a major addiction.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 09:45:16 AM »

Oh well if you include collecting - as did MBARNUM as well - well then...put me in the program.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »

DRMATTH there is a movie you have had for a LONG time that you haven't watched yet.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 10:06:43 AM »

Does anyone know what to do about ants?  I was totally disgusted this morning to find a bunch in my empty cereal bowl. Yuck, yuck, yuck! :(

Jason

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 10:10:50 AM »

I believe there are ant "traps" that work much the same way as a roach motel...the ants eat the poison and they pass it on to the other ants. I *think*...I don't know for sure. Just don't do bug bombs near your food, cookware, dinnerware or eating utensils. That's bad, bad, bad.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »

I have these round circular things that are called ant traps.  IT says there is peanut butter in them. But I don't know if they work.

I put one on the kitchen counter where I found all those ants.

What are bug bombs?

I feel just sick thinking about it.  I have the picture of the ants in my head now and it is making me sick.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 10:22:04 AM »

TOD - I think HHW is an addiction for me. (A nice one, but an addiction.) I spend far too much time on it. As for others, in college and when I was an actress I was addicted to Bridge Mixture chocolates eaten in conjunction with Licorice Allsorts. Had to have them in the house or touring hotel at all times, even if I didn't touch them. If I was touring with a show, got back to the hotel and realized I didn't have them, I'd go searching for some all night store in whatever strange city I was in.
When I was pregnant I became addicted to playing a handheld version of Mario Brothers in which they stacked things onto a cart of some kind. I played it for hours on end. It was totally mindless and stupid -- and I couldn't stop.
A variation on this topic - then I must stop posting and do things - when I was young - from about age 8 until maybe 16, I had this strange thing happen... I would suddenly start hearing things in a very distinct rhytm. Hard to explain... I'd be sitting in school, writing a test, and suddenly everything, the scraping of the pen on the paper, the teacher's footsteps walking around the room, the ticking of the clock, my breathing - they'd all have the same beat. As if the universe had a beat that only I could hear. It was very unnerving. It would pass after a few minutes - and I never knew when it would come on, but it was weird and unsettling. Of course, I never told anyone about it because I thought they'd make fun of me, or worse. And then it went away and has never come back.
I see dead people....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »

Well, either this is the purest group of people on the internet, or the biggest group of liars.  I was surprised to see that no one had admitted to being addicted to American Idol, Survivor, or reality television in general.  Oh well.

I, on the other hand, have an addictive personality.  I have been addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, and amphetamines at one time or another during my lifetime.  Cigarettes were the last of those addictions to get control of, and that was nine years ago.  I also, will freely admit to being addicted to acting.  I can’t imagine life without  my life upon the wicked stage being a major part of it.  Many of the people I have dated over the years probably have wished that I had sought help for that addiction, but I have no desire to recover from my addiction to my art and I hope I never do.

I must confess to one other addiction.  It is fairly new, extremely powerful, and like acting, no attempt has been made to control it or to recover from its power over me.  I will freely admit to being addicted to HHW and to all of the wonderful members who post here.  I can’t imagine a day going by without thinking, worrying, caring and sharing with all of you.  If they ever come up with a Twelve-Step program for this website, I will avoid it at all costs.   I can’t think of a more positive or enriching addiction to my life than HHW.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2004, 10:58:19 AM »

DRPANNI - see Patty Duke in BILLIE to understand The Beat.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2004, 10:59:21 AM »

Re: addictions

Never tried a cigarette.  And I really cannot stand smoke in general.  It makes me physically sick.  Last week, while at a party at a restaurant (in the non-smoking section) I started feeling really sick.  I could tell someone was smoking, but wondered how (since it was the non-smoking section).  Sure enough I got up from my seat and there was someone smoking in the section right above me.

It's sort of problematic to be so sensitive to smoke.  

As for being addicted to reality tv, I don't know if addicted is the right word.  I like American Idol, but I certainly don't count down the minutes until it is on.

I think the one true thing I am addicted to right now would be a guy! :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

Even though it's not Wednesday, Noel and Elmore, I wonder, do you have the same kind of creative control issues (or even different creative control issues) as Charles and Panni mentioned yesterday (in relation to my question about why playwrights have more control over their work than screenwriters).

DRBen,  I have no control over what's done to my work usually; in theatre work, it constantly changes shape as the production develops and I'm under the control of the MD, who's usually under the thumb of the director/choreographer.  On OH KAY! at Goodspeed, I scored the opening number four times because the choreographer and director kept playing with the number.  I finally told them if they wanted another go at it, they had to bring in someone else, and they did!    

When my reconstruction of JUBILEE was done at Carnegie Hall, Herb Ross - know some might like him, but he's no friend of mine - felt nothing about about ordering the musical director to make changes in my work, most of which I felt had more to do with putting his hand in than respecting what Cole Porter wrote.  Most interestingly he ignored my casting suggestions to the producers of the benefit because they weren't "Stars" - among them Karen Ziemba, Kristin Chenoweth,  David Elder, and Greg Louganis for the Johnny Weismuller role - and he never once spoke to me.    

On my first album THE SONGS OF NEW YORK for Book-of-the-Month Club, Joe Papp sang "Don't Monkey With Broadway" and he was out of town until the day before the session, so I scored it in a key suggested by whoever it was who played for Joe, then John McGlinn called me after rehearsing with Papp and asked me to lower it a step because it was too high.  All the parts were copied a step lower, Joe came to the session, decided the key was too low and it was recorded with the band transposing back up a step.  The problem was that a lot of piano was lost because it was too chromatic to be transposed at sight quick enough for the  schedule.   If Joe Papp had been charming at the session, I might not have minded it, but he was difficult, and I don't think the scoring came off as well as it could have.

The truth of the matter is, in recording, I'm there to serve the singer, make hm or her look good, and keep the producer happy.  However, in every musical job, I'm subservient to the conductor, composer, if he's around, and the producer.  I'd rather butt heads in rehearsal than the session because I feel it's pretty much frozen by that point, but thinking fast on your feet is always a valuable asset, and I'm pretty good at it.

Often I'll hear tracks from a session I couldn't make in London and find the concept changed in the studio without my involvement and it can be frustrating:  you're often praised or damned for work you didn't do.

So enough of my kvetching about control.  The TOD is interesting, and I have several addictions, the newest being HHW, the worst being shopping, especially on eBay.  Beyond that, I'm practically perfect!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2004, 11:10:09 AM »

JRand - I guess SUSAN SLEPT HERE was censored because of the possibility of Debbie losing her viginity.  It was the use of the word "virgin" toat got THE MOON IS BLUE censored.

Jennifer - I posted both the Queen Latifah and the Antonio Banderas stories yesterday.  Latifah was strictly a rumor and her agents have denied it; apparently there was some kernal of truth to the Banderas story which was in Michael Reidel's column, not Liz Smith's.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2004, 11:15:59 AM »

Elmore---
Was that the JUBILEE with Bea Arthur, Michael Jeter, Damien Woetzel etc.?  I remember enjoying it a lot, but what stays in my memory is that they decided to do it without the ubiquitous black books and Sandy Duncan kept messing up the lyrics to familar Porter songs while everyone else remembered every word of the lesser known gems.

I love the BOMC "Songs of New York".  I have to transfer my cassette copy to CD.  Did you do all the arrangements and/or orchestrations, or only some? There is probably enough material available for a second set.  Do you have any idea how well it sold?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2004, 11:25:59 AM »

Forgot to say thanks to DRELMORE for his efforts....

DR WEL - I first saw SUSAN SLEPT HERE when Frances Farmer showed it on her program one fine afternoon!  LOL...I thought Anne Francis was sexier - and of course being about 10 years old didn't understand the problem with Debbie spending the night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »

I think haineshisway.com is a good addiction because it involves being with good people and has good vibes.  There is no spending too much time her.

Ants: Kill the suckers.  Knife 'em.  Shoot 'em in the back.  (Name that film).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2004, 11:35:15 AM »

And may I just say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  I suspect we'll need more food topics soon.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

I think that the ban on MOON IS BLUE, probably helped the film's box office.  The film itself is really pretty dreary, but a lot of people flocked to see it just because it was condemned by the Church.  If you don't think it works that way, just check the receipts for PASSION OF CHRIST.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2004, 11:40:18 AM »

Elmore---
Was that the JUBILEE with Bea Arthur, Michael Jeter, Damien Woetzel etc.?  I remember enjoying it a lot, but what stays in my memory is that they decided to do it without the ubiquitous black books and Sandy Duncan kept messing up the lyrics to familar Porter songs while everyone else remembered every word of the lesser known gems.

Yes, DRWEL. it was!  Damien was the only suggestion of mine they listened to; I gave all my casting suggestions from Goodspeed, where I was doing REDHEAD, via phone to the producers and Todd Ellison, who passed them on to Mr Ross.  I think it was the City Ballet position that gave Mr Ross the interest, and I thought Damien was wonderful.  I had to rescore Bea Arthur's solo "Swimming," and I thought she was fine, but I would have preferred Carole Shelley, Maggie Smith, someone a bit more British, and I liked Michael Jeter.  Tyne daly and Alice Ripley were wonderful, but Sandy Duncan was a disaster (had to rescore "Begin the Beguine" for her), and she went on record in the publicity saying that Alice should be snging it!  So she never learned it.
Todd Ellison was a wonderful MD, as always, and there were some marvelous things about it, including Mr Ross's direction.  I still think he's a pig.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2004, 11:44:43 AM »

Jennifer - I posted both the Queen Latifah and the Antonio Banderas stories yesterday.  Latifah was strictly a rumor and her agents have denied it; apparently there was some kernal of truth to the Banderas story which was in Michael Reidel's column, not Liz Smith's.

Sorry, I must have missed it.  Although I did happen to notice you sent it to the cast recording list (i noticed it just after i posted here, which was sort of weird).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2004, 11:50:48 AM »

I love the BOMC "Songs of New York".  I have to transfer my cassette copy to CD.  Did you do all the arrangements and/or orchestrations, or only some? There is probably enough material available for a second set.  Do you have any idea how well it sold?

I forgot to answer your other inquiry!  I only did a few of the arrangements; John McGlinn tended to stick me with turn-of-the-century things and assign 20s and 30s stuff to Russel Warner, who's both a wonderful friend and brilliant musician.   McGlinn takes credit for a couple of the arrangements, and Dennis Deal did the "I Love New York" theme song for a Manhattan Transfer type of group.The only thing I did that was written after 1912 for the album was the big band "Don't Monkey With Broadway," which was literally at the last minute when Joe agreed to sing it.  I don't know where the master tapes are, but I do know Book-of-the-Month Club no longer offers it.  I have no idea of sales.  My one memory of the reviews is that Didier Deutsch missed the point of the songs being done in the style of the time they were written.

Since then, I've seen only one set of CDs for sale on eBay and I've never seen them offered in any remainder catalogue.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »

Noooo more food topics! :)

Btw, one post 2000 song i sing constantly is "Popular" (WICKED).

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

Speaking of theatre and musicals, it has been a while since I have seen a musical in Montreal.  But this Sunday I am going to see the French mega-musical, DON JUAN, and I cannot wait.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2004, 12:23:40 PM »

Hip Hooray and Yowzah!  I'm going back to the world of the wage slave!

More later, have errands to run before I can tell tales!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2004, 12:26:45 PM »

Picked up a DVD this weekend that a couple of DRs might be interested in. It is a special edition of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. It has not only the movie but a cd with the original film score. Very nice! I love the music from those Japanese Godzilla films and even though this is not my favorite of the big G's films I do enjoy the music!

It would be nice if more DVDs would come with a separate soundtrack. Nifty idea I think.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2004, 12:37:51 PM »

PUSH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[/size] to Page 3 (We'll still need two more after this. We can't disappoint our leader, now can we>)

Ben

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2004, 12:39:12 PM »

Goodbye Dance for Page 2

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D[/move]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up