Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM  (Read 21028 times)

Ben

Re:MAN WITH THE GOLDEN BOOKWORM
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2004, 12:40:20 PM »

Hello Dance for Page 3

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)
 8)[/move]

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2004, 12:50:35 PM »

Congrats to DR S. Woody White!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2004, 12:50:43 PM »

******Congrats on your return to slavery, SWW!*****
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:51:10 PM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »

BK - Weren't you supposed to bounce your ideas off on us today about the BOUNCE CD?

Jennifer - I just discovered I was wrong about BOMBAY DREAMS.  Some of the music IS pre-recorded and not even with the current Broadway cast, but with the London Cast recorded two years ago!  Why do people complain with a pre-recorded or synthasized orchestra but not a pre-recorded actor?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2004, 12:51:33 PM »

DR Ben, is that a line dance? :)

Panni

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2004, 12:52:59 PM »

TCB - I found your remarks about your (our) HHW addiction very moving. What a nice place this is!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »

Still listening to Bounce and will have a full report tomorrow.

Juliana's Journal, The Final Countdown is up and running and will have a new entry daily as soon as she catches up.  It's not in the usual place - it was too difficult to put it there, so on our discussion board right here there is a new section (just below Daily Discussions).  Just click on it and off you will be whisked to Julianaland.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »

DR SWW, welcome back to the world of employment, the time clock, and all the joys of making money!  Congrats!  Kudos!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]    [/move] :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :o ::) :-* :-* ::) :o :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] [/move]

This gives me a chance to see if I learned anything from DR George's kind help.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2004, 12:58:54 PM »

I guess the answer is No!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2004, 01:08:34 PM »

Jennifer - I just discovered I was wrong about BOMBAY DREAMS.  Some of the music IS pre-recorded and not even with the current Broadway cast, but with the London Cast recorded two years ago!  Why do people complain with a pre-recorded or synthasized orchestra but not a pre-recorded actor?

Maybe it's a different style of musical?

I could tell by the number on GMA that it wasn't lip-synched like a regular # on tv.

Plus they said something about Bollywood movies and how the numbers are always lip-synched (maybe DR MBarnum can help us here).

It was just so very bizarre.  Because it wasn't all out lip-synching.  It was more like they were barely mouthing the words.  Nobody would have thought they were actually singing.

And after seeing it, I was just really wondering if all the numbers in the show are like that.

Do you have any idea (or does anybody) if there are still a lot of songs sung live?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 01:15:42 PM by Jennifer »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2004, 01:10:38 PM »

TCB - I found your remarks about your (our) HHW addiction very moving. What a nice place this is!

I agree!

Panni I also had a good laugh at your morning post.  You have interesting addictions. :)

Jane

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »

Congratulations SWW.  Hope you find great pleasure in your new job.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2004, 01:18:58 PM »

DR Jrand, so very true, but as I told you before and will repeat again, I have STACKS of DVDs on my kitchen counter that MUST be winnowed down before I'll even think of watching a videotape. So, you're going to have to be patient. Believe me, when I watch the rest of that tape, I'll post my thoughts here immediately upon completion.

Didn't get anything new on DVD watched yet today. Took all afternoon watching the rest of the abysmal CONDORDE: AIRPORT '79 (though very funny because it's not supposed to be funny), MONK, and ENTERPRISE. Later this afternoon/early evening will probably be THE LAST OF SHEILA.

Once the regular TV season is over, and I'm not giving hours of each evening to new TV programs, I can concentrate on getting control of that stack of DVDs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2004, 01:21:57 PM »

I'll get that George Eads picture up sometime today. I scanned it yesterday but the file is on another computer. I couldn't put it up yesterday because when I tried was when the site was giving problems yesterday afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2004, 01:39:28 PM »

Talking about addictions made me go on a hunt for chocolate, an addiction I finally have under control-most of the time.  :) Alas there was none so I settled for a little Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream.  I like sweets way too much.

When I was twelve my sister introduced me to liquor and Newport cigarettes.   Very quickly I found myself addicted to the cigarettes, an addiction that is very difficult when you are twelve and have to sneak to have one.  I also knew it was stupid, plus I’m allergic to the smoke, and gave them up.  But for years and I mean years, if someone were smoking a Newport I would sometimes have one.  This would only happen less than once a year but I continued to crave them for a long time.

My biggest addiction was to Pepsi.  First thing in the morning I had to have some and during the day there was almost always an open can of Pepsi nearby.  If I didn’t have my Pepsi I would go through withdrawal.  Now I don’t drink soda at all.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2004, 01:43:24 PM »

DR Jane: I love sweets too! :)

BK, I read Juliana's journal. Can you remind us to read them (since it's not in a place I would normally check, I might forget).

Btw, are there still some entries before these current ones?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2004, 01:52:46 PM »

Howdy, gang!

Addictions: hoooo-boy, the one that's got me 'til death do us part is caffeine. Gotta have that blast in the morning, or I'm worthless. I have had this particular primate on my back for over 40 years. One time, oh, about 20 years ago in Los Angeles I successfully got clean for nearly a year. It took ten horrid days of withdrawal - sleeping, weeping, sumbitch headache, but I did get off that drug. One dry rehearsal during a heat wave a year later, and I bought a Diet Coke from the vending machine. Kabing! That's all it took.

21st Century musicals, songs from? I'll still pick Quando M'En Vo' from Puccini's Boheme, thanks.

More later...
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2004, 01:55:09 PM »

Penny did you receive the important email I sent?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »

Congratulations, SWW!

I hope that you won’t let work interfere with your posting!

Thank you, Panni and Jane, for your kind words.  I do feel so close to all of you.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2004, 02:01:54 PM »

Howdy, gang!

21st Century musicals, songs from? I'll still pick Quando M'En Vo' from Puccini's Boheme, thanks.

Is Puccini still plunking out those tunes, PennyO?

“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2004, 02:04:14 PM »

I just read the, for me, very special Juliana’s Journal.  I wish I could go to the Ahmanson and see the show.  Keith always sets the radio to K-Earth 101 when we are in town.

Now I must control this HWW addiction and get some work done. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2004, 02:20:10 PM »

I will remind, but when you log on to the discussion board it's right there and will always have a new "topic" each day a new post happens.  As to other posts, I'm afraid that whatever's up is up as far as the old link.  

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2004, 02:32:43 PM »

I will remind, but when you log on to the discussion board it's right there and will always have a new "topic" each day a new post happens.  

I think a lot of people only go to the discussion portion once a day, I know I do.

Panni

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2004, 02:33:33 PM »

I just read Juliana's Journal. I actually wasn't planning to see Millie, but now I feel sort of disloyal to HHW if I don't! Plus Juliana's excitement at being here is contagious. Very sweet. Maybe I'll just see it on the spur of the moment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 02:34:48 PM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »

I just read Juliana's Journal. I actually wasn't planning to see Millie, but now I feel sort of disloyal to HHW if I don't! Plus Juliana's excitement at being here is contagious. Very sweet. Maybe I'll just see it on the spur of the moment.

It would be better to see it at a theater.

“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2004, 02:52:42 PM »

I just quickly click on discussions and might not remember to look for her journal.  But I'm sure you will remind us Bruce.  :)

TCB you are so funny. :D

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2004, 03:20:25 PM »

DR Jennifer,
Yes they do lip sinc in Bollywood movies in the same way that they do in American musicals. Most of the time the actor or actress on screen is not the one belonging to the singing voice. In Indian films they have people called "playback singers" (and that is how they are credited in the credits of the movie) and they dub the singing voices in the 800 or so movies that are made yearly in India. Many of the playback singers are just as popular as the more famous Bollywood actors/actresses. One singer, Lata Mangaskar holds the title as the most recorded singer in the world (she has been dubbing singing voices in movies since the late 1940s I believe, and continues to do so even today although not quite as often).

Jason

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »

Re. BOMBAY DREAMS: The only song in the show that is, to my knowledge, lip-synched, is "Shakalaka Baby." Reason being, during the number they are literally dancing in thirty-foot water fountains, therefore rendering their wireless microphones unusable, not to mention the fact that the conductor has to step away from his podium and cover his music stand with plastic to keep his score dry because BOY! does that water fly, and I believe most of the orchestra cleared the pit as well. The "Shakalaka Baby" used on Broadway is, in fact, from the Original London Cast Recording. I believe the song was a hit before the show opened and was shoe-horned in, so it is entirely possible that they're just using the track that was played on the radio. They do make sure to work the lip-synching into the script with a line explaining that they use pre-recorded tracks in Bollywood films. Once the number is over, practically everyone onstage leaves and changes out of their wet things, which provides the opportunity to put their mics back on, and a plethora of stage hands come out in costume and mop up the floors during the next scene. It was a fascinating number to watch in the theatre--I couldn't believe I was actually seeing what I was seeing.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »

By the way, with all the musical comedy fans here at HHW (note I didn't say "show queens") I'm surprised nobody realized what today is.  It's the 20th of May: Liza Doolittle Day!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »

I guess I should explain further...in the "Shakalaka Baby" number, they're "filming" the wet sari number for a movie and you hear the director yell out, "Cue playback!" BEEP--BEEP--BEEP and the music starts. That's how it all fits into the show. True to form, there are a lot of random production numbers..."Shakalaka" is the flashiest of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up