Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS  (Read 10276 times)

Ginny

Re: YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »

Having NO BANANAS was one of the reasons I had to go to the grocery store.  We now have bananas, along with a chicken that's roasting in the oven and rice pudding (made with rice leftover from last night) chilling in the refrigerator.  Rice pudding is one of Richard's favorites, but I've never been able to duplicate his grandmother's.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »

DR Ben - I'm glad to hear your good report.

The freezing rain just started here, so now I'm REALLY glad we're not on our way to Lima!

I just spoke to Jo and Randy,

One interesting thing she told me: Macbeth has officially retired, but he still comes into the office o about three days a week and makes her life miserable. If I were married to Lady M, I wouldn't stay home either. If I had to choose between death and Lady M, I'd learn to appreciate being dead.

I didn't realize, or remember, that Jo works in the office.

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »

Our local community theatre is having auditions Feb. 28 and March 1 for AND MISS REARDON DRINKS A LITTLE.  I've just ordered the script from the library and wondered if any DRs have suggestions for a part for me.  I'm not familiar with the play.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »

I stopped watching Woody Allen films, or thinking highly about him, when he got involved with Soon-Yi, who's as disgusting as he is.

Hard for me during that time was trying to explain to my impressionable sons why it was wrong.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

I stopped watching Woody Allen films, or thinking highly about him, when he got involved with Soon-Yi, who's as disgusting as he is.

You're certainly not the only person who feels that way.

My wife certainly does.

I do, however, try to separate the man from his work.

On the other hand, when it comes to Mel Gibson, I find that I'm not able to do that.

:-\

I have found Gibson the most difficult of all actors to separate the person from their work.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »

You're certainly not the only person who feels that way.

My wife certainly does.

I do, however, try to separate the man from his work.

On the other hand, when it comes to Mel Gibson, I find that I'm not able to do that.

:-\

No problem with someone putting moves on an adopted daughter but a problem with anti-Semitism or being an ugly drunk? I think they're all repellent,

Technically she was his step-daughter, not adopted daughter. ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Where is JoseP, I wanted to hear his thoughts on my journey into Filipino foods.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »

I didn't enjoy LAST TANGO IN PARIS when I saw it at a theater about a hundred years ago.  I doubt I would ever want to sit through the film a second time; even in Blue and Ray.

I wish I had never seen it.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »

Our local community theatre is having auditions Feb. 28 and March 1 for AND MISS REARDON DRINKS A LITTLE.  I've just ordered the script from the library and wondered if any DRs have suggestions for a part for me.  I'm not familiar with the play.

Plot
Paul Zindel's dark comedy explores the relationship between three very different sisters after the death of their mother in the early 1960s. Having been abandoned by their father in early childhood, Catherine, Ceil and Anna Reardon were raised in a small apartment by their mother. The three ladies are educated and become members of their local school community. Anna Reardon becomes a chemistry teacher, Catherine Reardon the assistant principal and Ceil (Reardon) Adams is the superintendent of schools.

The scene of the play is in the Reardon family apartment and the story begins after sisters Catherine and Anna Reardon are living following the death of their mother. Several months of caring for her sick mother only to see her pass has left Anna suffering a severe nervous breakdown. She has become a complete hypocondriac, obsessed with animals and rabies. She is also on an extended break from school for allegedly molesting a male student. Catherine's reaction to both her mother's death and her sister's ailment has been to drink a little. She is consistently drunk throughout the show. Ceil did not have any sort of contact with the family while her mother was suffering, but rather ran off to marry her sister Catherine's boyfriend, Edward Adams (who never appears on stage).

Ceil has come to the Reardon home to coax Catherine into having Anna committed. Neither Anna nor Catherine is interested in anything their sister has to say. Half-way through dinner, which consists of zucchini and kiwi, Fleur Stein invades the family conversation. Fleur works in guidance at Anna and Catherine's school, and wishes to butter up Mrs. Adams in attempt to gain a better salary. She is very colorful and somewhat obnoxious, which her husband, Bob makes perfectly clear once he arrives.

After a humorous, but often bitter evening, Ceil demands that Anna be locked up. Catherine refuses this demand, and Ceil essentially abandons the two women to take care of each other.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

OMG, DR Vixmom, it's my life!

Jane

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

Your life or your mothers?

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »

Hello!  Boy did we have rain in the night...and thunder....and sleet....we didn't have freezing rain here, but they did at the lake.  I called the friend I visited and she said if I would have spent the night, I wouldn't be leaving today. 

FJL

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »

Love that commercial!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »

From John G.
Dessert was an almond roll with an almond cream filling.

As in almond paste?  If so I would like to try it.
I may have to ask for the recipe. I couldn't stop eating it. And I shouldn't have started.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »

Where is JoseP, I wanted to hear his thoughts on my journey into Filipino foods.
I don't know where JoseP is but I thought about your meal a bit this morning. I like most Filipino food I've tried, but on my first visit to a Filipino buffet, I tried a dish that had surprise liver bits in it. Not what I would consider a pleasant surprise. So, I've asked that every time I've tried something new.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

Hello!  Boy did we have rain in the night...and thunder....and sleet....we didn't have freezing rain here, but they did at the lake.  I called the friend I visited and she said if I would have spent the night, I wouldn't be leaving today. 

Sigh of relief you are home. :)  Did you have fun while it lasted?

Jane

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

From John G.

I may have to ask for the recipe. I couldn't stop eating it. And I shouldn't have started.

Did you at least take a picture for me? ;)

John G.

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

From John G.

Did you at least take a picture for me? ;)
I will post it later.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »

I have enjoyed plenty of Woody Allen's movies in the past, but I haven't found many to enjoy in recent years. My favorites were in the Diane Keaton era with some in the Mia era, especially "Radio Days," "Annie Hall," "Love and Death," "Shadows and Fog," "Broadway Danny Rose" and "Purple Rose of Cairo."

― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »

Well, not exactly either one, DR Jane, but several things resonated:  sisters not wanting to listen to anything the other says (my Mom and Aunt), conversations about making decisions about a family member (lots of THAT going on this week), etc.

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »

Sigh of relief you are home. :)  Did you have fun while it lasted?

Yes I had a very good time. Got together with 5 of my best girl friends and had lunch with mom and dad

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »

Welcome back, DR Cillaliz!  Glad you missed the ice storm.

Laura

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »

We have had a couple of lovely days of rain.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

Yes I missed it. It's dreary and rainy here.  But I'm sitting with two cats on my lap, so I'm toasty warm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

She's going  back!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:27:46 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »

Having problems getting a full-sized photo today, but here's the almond cake. This is not actual size.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

"Once In Love with Amy" is finished! I cannot wait to hear it on Thursday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

And don't listen to DR Laura. She falls asleep at everthing, except for plays, wherein she laughs at the dirty parts.

You know, I really can't argue with MBarnum about this.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »

And don't listen to DR Laura. She falls asleep at everthing, except for plays, wherein she laughs at the dirty parts.

You know, I really can't argue with MBarnum about this.

LOL!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »

Well, not exactly either one, DR Jane, but several things resonated:  sisters not wanting to listen to anything the other says (my Mom and Aunt), conversations about making decisions about a family member (lots of THAT going on this week), etc.

I'm glad it isn't exactly like the play ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up