Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATE SHOW  (Read 22855 times)

François de Paris

Re:THE LATE SHOW
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2004, 04:58:17 PM »

Best Actress Award to Maggie Cheung for her role in "Clean"

The Best Actress Award went to Maggie Cheung for her role in Clean directed by Olivier Assayas.

“It's really an incredible time in my life,” Maggie Cheung said. “I would like to thank the Cannes Festival for having invited us this evening. I want to thank the jury for having given us this prize. Clean wasn't easy to get made and I also want to thank the three producers [...] And thank you too Olivier.”

When asked at the press conference whether this was her best performance: “It was difficult to play but not the most difficult technically speaking. It was difficult because it was painful. [...] Other directors might let me play such a role, a junkie, but only Olivier gives me the trust necessary to play it as I feel. ”

François de Paris

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2004, 04:58:51 PM »

Best Actor Award to Yuuya Yagira for his role in "Nobody Knows"

The Best Actor Award went to the 14-year old Yuuya Yagira for his role in Nobody Knows directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda.

With Yagira Yuuya back in Japan, it was director Hirokazu Kore-eda who collected the award on his behalf. At the post-awards press conference, the director gave his impressions. “This prize is deserved, because we worked for a year with the children, and I think that you can see their progress in the film during that year [...] I chose Yagira at an audition. What made me choose him was his eyes. [...] Yagira is at middle school and he had to return to Japan to take his exams. I just telephoned him to tell him the good news, and he was very happy. He thinks he failed his exam, but he hopes that with this prize, his teacher might be more understanding.”

François de Paris

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2004, 04:59:27 PM »

Best Director Award goes to Tony Gatlif for "Exils"

The Best Director Award goes to Tony Gatlif for Exils.

"Thank you Gilles Jacob; thank you Thierry Frémaux, merci Senor Presidente – gracias, merci to all the members of the jury" said the director in his acceptance speech. "A film isn't made alone; there's a team, who I forced to become nomadic for three months, on the roads of France, Spain, on the sea, in Morocco and Algeria. I owe this film to the crew [...] We didn't have much money. This film was produced at great risk thanks to all these people who worked so hard and who believed in it [...] Cinema is made with money, long live auteur cinema."

François de Paris

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »

Best Screenplay Award goes to "Comme une Image" by Agnès Jaoui and Jean-Pierre Bacri

Best Screenplay Award goes to "Comme une Image" by French duo Agnès Jaoui and Jean-Pierre Bacri.

Agnès Jaoui, who also directed the film, thanked her crew, her producers, and her singing teacher. "Me too," Jean-Pierre Bacri added laconically.

"It's a prize that suits us perfectly," Agnès Jaoui declared at the press conference, "because for us the screenplay is what's most important in a film. [...] On the set, nothing was improvised."

Co-screenwriter Jean-Pierre Bacri also said that personally he was "delighted" with the Palme d'Or awarded to Fahrenheit 9/11.

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2004, 05:00:41 PM »

The Jury Prize to Irma P. Hall and "Tropical Malady"

The Jury Prize goes to actress Irma P. Hall for her role in The Ladykillers by the Coen brothers and to Tropical Malady from the Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul. He thanked the jury with all his heart. "It's a great honour for me to be here because it's the first Thai film to be shown in [competition at] the Cannes Festival. And we have a prize, which represents a great privilege. I'd like to thank the jury and the Festival for having invited me. I would like to dedicate this prize to my family, my mother and my father who passed away before we finished filming."

Irma P. Hall was unable to collect her prize for her performance in The Ladykillers. The actress was in hospital in the USA. The award was collected on her behalf by Jean-François Camilléri, President of Gaumont Buena Vista International, who thanked "in the name of Irma P. Hall, the Coen brothers and the producers, Quentin Tarantino and his jury, but also Gilles Jacob, Thierry Frémaux and Véronique Cayla for having allowed the Coen brothers to continue their love story with the Cannes Festival."

François de Paris

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2004, 05:01:17 PM »

The Camera d'Or goes to "Or" by Keren Yedaya

Jury President Tim Roth bestowed the Camera d'Or to the first feature film, Or, by Israeli director Keren Yedaya.

"I would like to say a big thank you because it's not easy to choose a film like mine," declared the Israeli director. "This week has been like living a dream: my film has received a lot of love and also animosity. This proves to me that people want things to change. Thank you all [...] I want to dedicate this film, from the bottom of my heart, to all the people who are not free, to all those living in slavery. I hope that with this prize we can construct a home for all women who want to get out of prostitution. It's very difficult for me to say that because I come from Israel and we are responsible for the slavery of 3 million Palestinians. I love Israel; I love my country. But, please, there are many people in Israel who are fighting this occupation, help them, help the Palestinians."

François de Paris

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2004, 05:01:49 PM »

Camera d'Or Special Mention to "Lu Cheung (Passages)" by Yang Chao and "Bitter Dream" by Mohsen Amiryoussefi
Camera d'Or Special Mention went to two films: Lu Cheung (Passages) by Chinese director Chao Yang and Bitter Dream" by Iranian director Mohsen Amiryoussefi.
 Short Film Palme d'Or to "Trafic" by Catalin Mitulescu

French actress Jeanne Balibar gave the Short Film Palme d'Or to Trafic by Rumanian director Catalin Mitulescu.

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2004, 05:02:17 PM »

he Short Film Jury Prize to "Flatlife" by Jonas Geirnaert
The Short Film Jury Prize goes to Flatlife by Belgian director Jonas Geirnaert.

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »

Flashback to Saturday, May 22

Jury President Quentin Tarantino brought the 57th Cannes Festival to a close by awarding the Palme d'Or to US director Michael Moore, who received the top prize for Fahrenheit 9/11, his anti-George W. Bush documentary. The South Korean director Park Chan-wook took away the Grand Prix for his film, Old Boy. Among the other award winners were Maggie Cheung, awarded Best Actress for her performance in Clean, and 14-year-old Yagira Yuya, winner of Best Actor for his role in Nobody Knows.

After the announcement of the winners, a party was held to celebrate the 80 years of Metro Goldwyn Mayer, the studio that produced the Festival's closing film, De-Lovely. Director and producer Irwin Winkler, actors Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd, as well as singers Lara Fabian, Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morissette, all made the trip to Cannes to present this musical based on the life of composer Cole Porter.

The day at Cannes was also marked by the prize-giving ceremony for Un Certain Regard – top prize to Ousmane Sembène's Moolaadé – and the official screening of The General, accompanied by the orchestral music of Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi.

François de Paris

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2004, 05:09:10 PM »

Wow, Dear Reader Tomovoz.... I guess i scared EVERYONE away with this "palmares"!

Sorry!
You'd think it's Saturday night!!!... to quote a phrase!

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2004, 05:19:05 PM »

How can it be Saturday Night. It is 10.20am Sunday and I am not in "Flatbush".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2004, 05:19:09 PM »

Well, I guess we should sing "You & Me!" from Victor,Victoria; Dear Reader Tom.....Dear Reader Elmore is here to do the orchestrations!!

Danise

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2004, 05:30:55 PM »

Hi folks,

Just got everything done.  Dogs fed, walked, watered and am getting ready to go to bed.

Just wanted to pop in one last time and give you a quick review of Le Miz.

I wish I had time to do a full blow by blow review but my overall feeling was that this was the karaoke version.  

Some bright spots (including a way handsome guy who played one of the students--couldn't take my eyes off of him.)  

Valjean---  C
Fantine---  C-
Javert----  B
Older Cosette----   A+
Eponine---   A+
Marius (No Michael Ball but..)--- A
Handsome Student/dead guy M. Thenardier was draging in the sewer scene---   A++++++

The Thenardiers---   B+

When I get back someone is going to have to tell me about this game you all are talking about.  Bookworm?  Where do you buy it?  Don't tell me now, I'll never remember but remind me when I get home and can really talk about it.  Maybe I'll see it in NYC and can get it there.

Have a good everning all!   :) :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2004, 05:48:14 PM »

Best Actor Award to Yuuya Yagira for his role in "Nobody Knows"

The Best Actor Award went to the 14-year old Yuuya Yagira for his role in Nobody Knows directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda.

Yagira is at middle school and he had to return to Japan to take his exams. I just telephoned him to tell him the good news, and he was very happy. He thinks he failed his exam, but he hopes that with this prize, his teacher might be more understanding.”

Cute story.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2004, 05:54:09 PM »

That's all well and good as far as it goes RE: Cannes - but let's get to the facts, DRFRANCOIS - who lost her bikini top on the beach?  That's what we want to see at Cannes.

AND PLEASE PLEASE don't tell me it was Michael Moore - although he is fast becoming the Jayne Mansfield Publicity Champion of 2004!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2004, 06:00:19 PM »

Jason - Thank you for the invitation (and the lovely story).

Jennifer - Thanks for the reminder about Dick van D.. I totally forgot. I'll be out, but will set a tape.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2004, 06:03:15 PM »

Panni, tape is the best way to watch the show.  That way you can skip over the really bad parts.

François de Paris

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2004, 06:06:03 PM »

"Starlettes" can't lose their bikini tops, Dear Reader Jrand53, because they DON'T wear any!!!... I don't even know if most wear ANYTHING at all, these days!

Oh, NO, not MM! -- Mickey Mouse? -- but my feeling is that...... he slept!!

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2004, 06:08:31 PM »

Dear Reader Jane,

How does one skip "bad parts" when one has NEVER seen a show before?

(Oh, those French people always come up with annoying questions!! -- among other things!!)

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2004, 06:13:09 PM »

And yes, Dear Reader Panni, I did see Trembling Before G-d, and was quite moved by it.  In fact, I am proud to say that my synagogue provided some financial support to the filmmaker and is acknowledged in the credits.
DRJAY, I will be watching Trembling Before G-d on our local ABC tv tonight...looking foward to seeing how the topic is protrayed.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2004, 06:14:56 PM »

Didn't notice it listed Beekay. Thanks. I wonder if I too shall tremble.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2004, 06:16:30 PM »

That's way past my bedtime! 10.15
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2004, 06:22:11 PM »

I don't know why I made the assumption that Millie was lower-budgeted.  Perhaps it was the tacky set.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2004, 06:22:26 PM »

New Juliana will be up in ten minutes.

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2004, 06:24:13 PM »

Why can't the title say "God"????

I know it's a stupid question, but I say it anyway!! :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 06:25:06 PM by François de Paris »

Panni

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2004, 06:27:20 PM »

That's way past my bedtime! 10.15

Delay your bedtime, Tom! That kind of thinking is for 60-year-olds. You're not there quite yet. It's really worth seeing. I won't say it's MOVING because I shall be chastised by certain parties who think I am too often moved by films - but it will certainly make you think. When I saw it in Boulder the filmmaker was present and there was a really intense discussion after the screening.

Panni

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

Why can't the title say "God"????

Because in Judaism, you're not supposed to write out the whole word. The only time it is actually written out or spoken is in prayer. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »

I assume it is because some people will not speak the name of God.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2004, 06:35:11 PM »

To continue... When reference is made to God in the course of a conversation, even when quoting biblical passages or in sermons, the word "HaShem," meaning The Name is used instead. All this, of course, is so that the name is not used in vain, something familiar as well to Christianity.
Aren't you glad you asked, Francois?

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2004, 06:37:46 PM »

The video will be set Panni. I shall then discuss it with my fellow Oz Kimlet later in the week. Good to see him posting. Brave man is off to see "Troy" today.
I am very much a morning person - Late night last night so only about 4 hours sleep.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up