Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK BLECH  (Read 18947 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BK BLECH
« on: May 23, 2004, 12:00:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten the announcements and pronouncements, and now the thing to do is post and then post again.  It's the ginchy thing to do, Gidg.  Really and truly and also truly and really.  I do feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 12:01:30 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BK BLECH
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 12:09:52 AM »

As it says in the bible...

The first shall be last, and the last shall be first.

-Kind of appropriate for a Sunday...
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 12:11:31 AM »

I'm predicting BK won't like Urinetown.  I'm sure he'll love the hard-working cast, but the show... not so sure.  This is a prediction and not a wish: I hope he'll enjoy the show.  I hope everybody enjoys every show they see, really.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:13:38 AM »

Ohh... before I head off to bed... I meant to mention that when a friend of mine went to see "Trembling Before G-d" in Baltimore, as soon as the lights came up at the end, a gentleman stood up and announced that he was one of the men profiled in the movie.  And thus began a truly impromptu discussion about the movie.  Apparently, it was the first time the gentleman had seen the movie with "regular" people - not studio execs, etc.  So...

-just wanted to mention that, that's all...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 12:28:48 AM »

I had a busy night. Went on the spur of the moment to see ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND. I found it very moving --- toward the exit. It cost nothing as WGA members get in free. Good thing, too. I did not ike it. At all.  Not a bit. But I stayed to the bitter end hoping it would suddenly turn wonderful. It didn't. After that, I rushed over to a theater in Encino where I hoped to catch a filmmaker who was doing a Q&A after her film. I'd like to get the rights to the film (a docu). It was taking a total chance just showing up like that - but we talked and hit it off. After the Q&A we went out for a drink. Me on an empty stomach and a mango marguarita. Not a pretty sight. Shakalaka, baby!

Panni

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »

Today I go to the matinee of COMPANY. Looking forward to it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 12:44:37 AM »

Somehow, I keep getting this image of Telly Savalas, taking a lollypop out of his mouth and saying "Who shakalakas you, baby!"

Creepy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 04:21:49 AM »

DRs JAY and PANNI - can't wait for the COMPANY posts!

BK Blech.....brother to Bertholt Blech, no doubt.

Open House at the Barn Theatre today - hot of course...and hopefully we will have lots of people to watch our "rehearsal" of STATE FAIR which opens in two weeks.  THEN auditions for FATHER OF THE BRIDE....perhaps I will get a small role in it.

I am holding out for Axel the neighbor in THE NERD, a role I have played before, and really really like!  I love comedy!!!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 06:16:56 AM »

I fell asleep early last night so I had a LOT of posts to catch up on.

I read DR Francois' summary of the Cannes winners.  I like to watch that on tv. I wonder when it will be on (I think they usually show it on Bravo or some station a few days/weeks after it is over).

Gotta run.  Very busy day.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 07:03:55 AM »

Going to be an overcast day here, so I should get some relief from my air conditioning woes.

Have such a long list of things I want to watch on DVD today, but then I see that many shows are having season finales tonight including ALIAS so please excuse me from the unseemly live chat tonight. Sydney Bristow needs me.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 07:04:48 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 07:45:15 AM »

I started reading the columns soon after they started and I've done a lot a lurking since, along with an occasional rare post.  For some reason today I felt like joining in on the fun and registering.  

Though today I have nothing to say.  How odd that I should register on a day when I am speechless.  Or should I say type-less.  

There's always tomorrow.

Robin

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 07:55:11 AM »

There's always room for one more....and lemme be the first to welcome you aboard!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 08:00:00 AM »

I went to hear a performance of Brahm's A German Requiem last night.  It was very good, but it was translated into English, which is never a good idea.  Still, the choir was game enough, and even though the translation itself was rather shoehorned into the music, they did what they could, and all things considered, did it pretty darn well.

Years ago, I attended a performance of Beethoven's Ninth that had the final movement in English translation, and it was just laughable...apparently, the translator was a frustrated pop-lyricist.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 08:01:45 AM »

Yes, indeed. Welcome. There are days like that when nothing really comes to mind to talk about. I always try to at least say hello, and I'm glad you did, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2004, 08:09:36 AM »

About "stage names"...

Many years ago, I understudied both male parts in Jaques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.  (Considering my incredibly limited singing ability, I'm assuming my presence as understudy was used as a threat to keep the two male cast members from missing any performances.)

Anyway, I decided to list myself in the program book under the name "Gary Crant".  It became sort of an in-joke amongst the community theatre folks, who actually listed me under that name the next time I appeared, in a production of The Importance of Being Earnest.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2004, 08:11:47 AM »

Though today I have nothing to say.  How odd that I should register on a day when I am speechless.  Or should I say type-less.  

Welcome, DRmrkdi73, even if you have nothing to tell us today except that you're here.  Having nothing to say has never stopped me from posting something.  To paraphrase Lorelei Lee's diary, I seem to be thinking all the time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 08:12:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2004, 08:17:30 AM »

Hello, mrkdl. I also have nothing to say. School is out, I have nothing to do, and I'm loving it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »

François. A little late, but –goodnight Gracie

SWW the store sounds perfect for you.  I just wonder if you will spend your first paychecks on purchases for yourself.  I know we could easily go crazy in a good kitchen store.  Looks like the Disney Store did you a favor when they didn’t like your beard.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 08:24:20 AM »

Good Morning!

-And Welcome to all the newly registered users - and the newest non-lurking poster!

Well.. I check my e-mail this morning, and I have one from my roommate... telling me that there's water leaking from our ceiling and "in"(!) our walls in the kitchen by the stove - apparently from the upstairs apartment...  UGH!!!...  And since it's the weekend... The landlord's office is closed... Just as long as there's no deluge when I get home tonight...  The only flood I want right now is the one we have on stage during the second of Eden.  -And even that one does not involve real water.  -(Sorry ;))

So... That's it for me right now...

Matinee and then the trip back down to Richmond... I should be able to make chat tonight, but I may also be dealing with placing pots and pans strategically throughout the kitchen....

UGH!!!!

Laters.....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 08:24:50 AM »

WELCOME mrkdl73!

Sandra enjoy your vacation. :D

Panni

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 08:32:56 AM »

Good morning. Welcome, mrkdl!

In all fairness to the film, just want to add to my earlier negative musings about ETERNAL SUNSHINE... A number of people whose opinions I respect really liked the film. I didn't. C'est la vie.

Panni

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 08:36:26 AM »

Jose - Sympathies on the leak. Hope it stays managable.
I feel your (wet) pain, man. When I was a very young actress, I lived for a while in a rooming house. Above my bed on the floor above was a bathroom. You can fill in the rest...

Jason

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2004, 08:42:43 AM »

Bienvenidos a mrkdl73! Do tell us all about yourself. Inquiring minds want to know...

Sandra--are you kidding me with that Bookworm score!?!?! I can't even break 200,000!! And how did you capture the image of the scorebox?

I went to bed at 5:00 this morning. I was up reading a friend's new script. I have to read stage directions for her reading this afternoon. It's a great start, but it definitely needs some tweaking. That's what readings are for, though, so they'll be fine. And they're buying us pizza afterward!

I got up at 9:30 and finally got around to putting my laundry in to wash. It's amazing how much space there is in that laundromat when Senora Lavadora isn't there. Perhaps I should start washing earlier EVERY week...

And now, Bookworm...

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2004, 08:49:38 AM »

That score is totally, one hundred percent real, Jason. Like I said, school is out and I have nothing better to do than to play this game. And to capture the image, all you have to do is hit the "Print Screen" button toward the side of your keyboard. It's in that cluster of buttons there that you never seem to use. That will copy everything on your screen. That is the one useful thing I learned in that Computers class they made me take.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2004, 08:55:59 AM »

Welcome, Mr. KDL73.  Sundays are occasionally slow here at haineshisway.com, what with people off doing various and sundried things.  But we must keep the home fries burning.

Robin

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2004, 09:05:42 AM »

In all fairness to the film, just want to add to my earlier negative musings about ETERNAL SUNSHINE... A number of people whose opinions I respect really liked the film. I didn't.

I didn't either.  Far too much self-indulgent, post-modernist posing on display in it.  But that's par for the course when it's a Charlie Kaufman-written film...weirdness for the sake of weirdness.  

Gimme John Waters, anyday.  At least his weird streak has amusing moments.

Robin

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2004, 09:06:56 AM »

The best I've managed on Bookworm is 220,000 points or so.  I think it qualified me as "Master Archivist", or something like that.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2004, 09:22:11 AM »

Might I just say where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.  

New Juliana is up for your mental delectation.  

Panni

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 09:38:15 AM »

Just read Juliana's new journal entry. Once in a while I feel lucky that I have a job which doesn't entail having to tap dance when I'd rather be in bed. Although having to write when you'd rather be in bed is no picnic either.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 09:52:48 AM »

Welcome, mrkdl73!

Well, working backstage at the tour of RENT that came to Olympia pretty much went off without a hitch.  It was fun and a great cast.  A friend of mine who ushered and actually saw both performances said that the cast was the most consistent between the two shows that she had seen.  For most shows that I've ushered, you can tell differences between two (or more) performances, but these guys and gals performed at the same excellent level both times.  I wish I could have seen them, but hey, I'm getting paid for being backstage!  I like that part. :D

And speaking of RENT, yesterday Jason wrote:
Re. theatre groupies: I don't really understand it myself. I look at RENT-heads and think, "why!?"

My sentiments, exactly.  After both shows, quite a few people came to the back of the theater to get autographs and pictures (some were even in costume!) and most of them were teenagers and a few were a little younger.  Maybe RENT is this generation’s "Rocky Horror Picture Show. "  (just without the audience yelling back at the stage...one hopes ::))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up