Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK BLECH  (Read 18948 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:BK BLECH
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2004, 09:56:10 AM »

Greetings, Dear Readers!  As requested, a brief review of the Reprise! production of Company, which I saw last night:

In a word, it was excellent!  No one here needs me to say that the score is nothing short of a marvel, and it's terrific to hear it sung by a talented and attractive cast, backed by a 24-piece orchestra.  (A whole string section!  Imagine that!)

Yes, there are moments in the book that come accross as a bit dated or out of place today (i.e., drug use, reference to the "generation gap" and the "kids" who are "protesting.")  The show's keen and oftentimes acerbic perspectives on relationships and marriage, however, are as accurate today as when they first appeared 34 years ago.  The non-linear structure of the piece, groundbreaking in 1970, remains fresh (sometimes startling, even) and effective.

The cast was uniformly strong.  Mr. Christopher Sieber ably conveyed Robert's conflictedness over settling into a significant relationship.  It was clear that in his heart he wanted to, but the collective portrait of marriage painted by the five married couples who constitute his circle of friends in the show was enough to hold him back.  Mr. Sieber's voice fit the role well and his delivery of "Being Alive" beautifully conveyed this dichotomy of his situation.  He was at his best using his deep-set eyes and rubber face to superbly convey the astonishment/shock/puzzlement he experiences while witnessing his friends' various marital antics.

Miss Judith Light played Joanne as icy.  She was fine and a little scary (which is a good thing) in the part, and handled her big "Ladies Who Lunch" number quite well, though I would have liked to have a heard a bit more grit in the delivery.  (It's hard not to compare any rendition of the song to that by the one who introduced it; no one will ever top Miss Elaine Stritch with this number.)

Miss Jean Louisa Kelly was a standout as the neurotic Amy and she nailed "Getting Married Today."

Miss Deborah Gibson (as Marta), Miss Cady Huffman (as Kathy) and Miss Amy Pietz (as April) were rich in their individual roles as Robert's girlfriends and brought down the house with their joint rendition of "You Can Drive A Person Crazy."

The direction, by Mr. David Lee, was good and the choreography, by Miss Kay Cole, was fresh and made good use of the unit set.

This was by far the strongest show in Reprise!'s season this year.  Their next season, which starts in August, consists of Brigadoon, Pippin and Applause.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 10:34:42 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2004, 10:30:01 AM »

Glad you enjoyed COMPANY so much, DR Jay. I'm looking forward to seeing it this afternoon. Does this make me one of the ladies who lunch?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2004, 11:06:41 AM »

The home fries are going out.  And so am I.  I do hope upon my return that we have loads of lovely posts for my mental delectation.

Jay

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2004, 11:07:22 AM »

What I did yesterday afternoon, before I went to see Company:  I went to the movies at Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo.  Going to the movies at Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo, Dear Readers, involves a great deal more than just watching a film.

First, a word about the burg of El Segundo, California.  The name itself translates as "The Second."  I think it has to do with the fact that the city contains Chevron's second oil refinery in the state, or something like that.  In any event, the city, which is in the southwestern coastal part of Los Angeles County, promotes itself as an ideal small town environment that is close to a big city.  Of course, this would-be Mayberry is bordered on the north by Los Angeles International Airport, on the south by its namesake oil refinery, and on the west, between the city proper and the beach, by an enormous sewage treatment plant.  Tres charmant, n'est-ce pas?

Old Town Music Hall is a small theatre in the center of El Segundo's charming business district.  (I know, with the buildup I've given the town, that's hard to believe, but it is a charming village.)  One enters a small lobby with a pressed tin ceiling and then passes through velvet drapes to a small auditorium illuminated with crystal chandeliers.  In the front of the auditorium--in the stage area--are the exposed workings of a Mighty Wurlitzer organ.  The organ's console sits front and center.

Events at the Old Town Music Hall come in two parts.  Part one consists of a brief concert on the Mighty Wurlitzer, with music connected to the feature film in one way or another, followed by a community sing-along (accompanied by the Mighty Wurlitzer.)  After the sing-along, a smallish screen drops from the ceiling and a two-reel comedy (usually Laurel and Hardy or Little Rascals or some other film of that ilk) is run.  Following the comedy is an intermission, and then part two of the experience, the screening of the feature film.  

The film repertoire at the Old Town Music Hall is an eclectic mix of old and classic (sometimes not one and the same) pictures, some of them silent and accompanied by, yes, you guessed it, the Mighty Wurlitzer.

Yesterday's feature film was Night and Day.  With De-Lovely being released soon, I thought I would catch up with this film--"Based on the career of Cole Porter," according to the opening titles--which I had never seen before.

I know I am not the first to say this, but a more ludicrous biopic I have never seen before.  To say that the facts were handled with a considerable degree of elasticity understates matters considerably.

My favorite risible moment in the film:  Mr. Porter, as a soldier in the army during WW I, in some muddy camp somewhere, hearing the music being pounded out by the natives (the scene must take place in the jungles of France), being inspired to write "Begin the Beguine," the title of which he had already written across the top of the paper on which he had just begun to mark the musical notes.

Mr. Cary Grant makes for a rather long in the tooth Yalie, and poor Miss Alexis Smith doesn't even get a chance to belt out one of Mr. Porter's fine ditties.  Mr. Monty Wooley (As himself? Or not?  One can't tell, which is indicative of what kind of picture this is) is given far too much screen time.

Still, the film is a hoot to watch (fictional though it may be), filled as it is with Mr. Porter's music and a string of fun cameo appearances by folks like Miss Eve Arden and Miss Mary Martin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 11:08:54 AM by Jay »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2004, 11:52:50 AM »

Went out and picked tomatoes and made lunch. Fresh gazpasta. Yummy.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Robin

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »

Old Town Music Hall is a small theatre in the center of El Segundo's charming business district.  (I know, with the buildup I've given the town, that's hard to believe, but it is a charming village.)  One enters a small lobby with a pressed tin ceiling and then passes through velvet drapes to a small auditorium illuminated with crystal chandeliers.  In the front of the auditorium--in the stage area--are the exposed workings of a Mighty Wurlitzer organ.  The organ's console sits front and center.

Here in Minneapolis, we have a monoplex (that's a theater with one screen, as G-d intended!) called the Heights.  And they've got a beautifully-restorted Wurlitzer, that gets played during the theater's special events, usually fundraisers, and silent movies.  The interior of the theater is gorgeous, too.

Usually, during the summer, the Heights plays the summer blockbusters (like Troy and the new Harry Potter film), but during the other three seasons, the special events scedule heats up.  Last year, they had a Marie Dressler triple-feature...how cool is that?

The Significant Other and myself will go out of our way to see every movie we're inclined to see at the Heights.  It's a great place!

Check 'em out...and if any of the HHW folks are ever in the area, we'd be tickled pink to take you.  

www.heightstheater.com

Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2004, 12:04:33 PM »

Night and Day

I know I am not the first to say this, but a more ludicrous biopic I have never seen before.  To say that the facts were handled with a considerable degree of elasticity understates matters considerably.

Using the same latitude, I'm betting I can prove that Superman is based on my life story.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »

That's funny Robin, because my dad swears Superman was based on HIS life story.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William E. Lurie

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2004, 12:34:25 PM »

If you are in the NYC area run, do not walk, to the Bowerie Lane Playhouse in the next two weeks to see the Best Off-Broadway musical of the season.  Although not advertised as such, the produiction of Molliere's THE BOURGOIS GENTLEMAN is a full scale musical comedy with a delightful score and as many laughs as THE PRODUCERS.  All the show is missing to become one of the biggest hits of the season is a good publicity/advertising campaign.  I went expecting to see a new translation of a funny Moliiere comedy.  I knew they added "a little music" but I was in no way prepared for the amount of music and the quality of the score.  A pure delight.

We finally got to the original Jananese version of "Godzilla".  The whole theme of the film is that the H Bomb (read "America") was responsible for the monstor.  No wonder had only been shown here in the Americanized version for the last 50 years.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 12:38:31 PM »

I went to hear a performance of Brahm's A German Requiem last night.  It was very good, but it was translated into English, which is never a good idea.  Still, the choir was game enough, and even though the translation itself was rather shoehorned into the music, they did what they could, and all things considered, did it pretty darn well.

Years ago, I attended a performance of Beethoven's Ninth that had the final movement in English translation, and it was just laughable...apparently, the translator was a frustrated pop-lyricist.  
You've just made a good case for why, when English lyrics are being substituted for those of another language, supertitles in the original language should always be projected.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »

I am leaving now for a vocal competition.  It's of the operatic variety, not the AI variety.  A friend of mine, a very talented up and coming tenor, is one of the contestants.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2004, 12:58:21 PM »

Glad you enjoyed COMPANY so much, DR Jay. I'm looking forward to seeing it this afternoon. Does this make me one of the ladies who lunch?

Well, I guess when you take off for the theater, you will be one of the ladies who launched.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2004, 12:59:16 PM »

Curiosity piqued, I went over to IMDB for a little information on Herr Hans Christian Blech.  Turns out, he was quite busy as an actor in film and on television over in Germany, from the late 40s until his death in 1993.  For English audiences, his work would be more familiar because of Morituri, The Longest Day, and The Battle of the Bulge (I get a sense of typecasting going on here), but also with Ingrid Bergman and Antony Quinn in The Visit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2004, 01:01:50 PM »

DR WEL - who was responsible for the music and lyrics of this musicalization of Bourgeois Gentilhomme?

That spelling looks wrong.

These monoplexes with Wurlitzers sound well and good, but, you know, sometimes a fellow wants variety.  So, if I amble over the the multiplex closest to me, the Loew's 84th Street Six, I have my choice of seeing Shrek 2, which sounds like it might be a fun film OR Shrek 2, which also sounds good.  But, if I'm in the mood for something totally different, their third screen is playing something called Shrek 2.  I've heard nothing about the film on the fourth screen, Shrek 2, so I may pass that over for what's on the fifth, Shrek 2.  Finally, I might do something really radical and opt for screen Six, which is showing Shrek 2.  Yes, a multiplex can be a wonderful thing.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »

DR WEL - who was responsible for the music and lyrics of this musicalization of Bourgeois Gentilhomme?

That spelling looks wrong.

These monoplexes with Wurlitzers sound well and good, but, you know, sometimes a fellow wants variety.  So, if I amble over the the multiplex closest to me, the Loew's 84th Street Six, I have my choice of seeing Shrek 2, which sounds like it might be a fun film OR Shrek 2, which also sounds good.  But, if I'm in the mood for something totally different, their third screen is playing something called Shrek 2.  I've heard nothing about the film on the fourth screen, Shrek 2, so I may pass that over for what's on the fifth, Shrek 2.  Finally, I might do something really radical and opt for screen Six, which is showing Shrek 2.  Yes, a multiplex can be a wonderful thing.

I understand that Shrek 2's last name is also Blech.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »

DR Jane sent me an e-mail, commenting on how late der Brucer and I usually have dinner.  'Tis true.  It's a habit we got into back when he was picking me up from work in Orange County, CA.  The problem was that, while I had a regular work schedule, he'd get in a late meeting where he worked, and wouldn't get around to meeting me until quite late.  So dinner would have to wait...and wait...and wait...

Weren't we chuckleheads then!  (If Robin can make Alexis Smith references, so can I!)

Even after der B retired, we would still have late dinners.  It's proven to be more awkward here in Rehoboth, where everyone seems to be on a much earlier schedule, but it will come in handy with my work schedule.  Often I won't be getting off work until six or seven in the evening, sometimes not even until nine!  This will make planning dinner ahead of time a little tricky, but at least it'll be interesting.

Danise

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2004, 01:16:54 PM »

I made it!  I'm in NYC!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2004, 01:20:45 PM »

Well, as they say, if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere...

Sometimes, just travelling is the tricky part.  Have a great time!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »

Hey Danise! Have a good time in New York. Don't get into too much trouble.

Tomovoz

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2004, 01:59:42 PM »

I started reading the columns soon after they started and I've done a lot a lurking since, along with an occasional rare post.  For some reason today I felt like joining in on the fun and registering.  

Though today I have nothing to say.  How odd that I should register on a day when I am speechless.  Or should I say type-less.  

There's always tomorrow.

Welcome indeed. Your first post has much more depth and information than many of mine. Not having much to say does not usually prevent many of us from writing .
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2004, 02:11:42 PM »

Dear DR Matt:  We seriously need to start considering what the plot options are for the Alias season finale tonight.  Given that we're about to face a much longer than ususal gap between seasons, I propose this:

Vaughn gets in a big battle with Lauren, who head butts him and knocks him into a coma.  When he reawakens, he finds that Sydney has married...and married Sloane!

That would get the audience hooked for the next season!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2004, 02:40:19 PM »

This has not been my weekend. First my A/C is inoperative, and then my receiver for my home theater died a painful death. Argh! Yep, I've spent all afternoon with a new receiver trying to get things trasnferred over - a MAJOR undertaking. Why is every receiver on the face of the earth different to set-up? I have dealt with four or five different receivers in my life (some of mine and some helping other people with their set-ups), and IO've never seen a single one that works the same way as the other, even receivers by the SAME manufacturer.

I had to get surround sound up and working for the ALIAS season finale tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »

Dear DR Matt:  We seriously need to start considering what the plot options are for the Alias season finale tonight.  Given that we're about to face a much longer than ususal gap between seasons, I propose this:

Vaughn gets in a big battle with Lauren, who head butts him and knocks him into a coma.  When he reawakens, he finds that Sydney has married...and married Sloane!

That would get the audience hooked for the next season!

I would hope this episode will wrap up all the Rambaldi mythology and be done with it, but I'm willing to bet it won't.

Your scenario isn't as far-fetched as some they've actually HAD on ALIAS (fake Francie, etc.) :D

Really can't wait to see what they do with Lauren, her mother, Sydney's aunt, etc.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2004, 02:47:30 PM »

In the VARIETY review for DE-LOVELY, it was mentioned that Kevin Kline (as Cole Porter) looks at and comments on NIGHT AND DAY. That should be fun to see.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2004, 03:11:11 PM »

I just spoke to Danise.  I think she told me she was in a taxi heading to Joe's Pub.  I thought we might try to get together late tomorrow afternoon.  I told her I would call her after 2:00 pm.  Are there any other East Coast Hainsies who might want to join us for a couple of hours, drinks, possibly dinner?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2004, 03:17:50 PM »

Just in from my friend's reading. She wants my comments. I'm not sure what to say. Read that any way you choose...

A fun little side note: One of the cast members of DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES who later on went into TABOO read one of the leads today. Poor guy--he just may have the worst taste in shows of anyone I've ever met! But he seems to be a very nice man--and he is very talented. I'm sending my good vibes to him for future projects.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2004, 03:30:27 PM »

Actually, Jason, there's not much I admire more than an actor making a commitment to NEW musical theatre.  One could do the umteenth Brigadoon or take a leap of faith and be part of a creative process.  Of course, most new musicals are terrible but it's like Roulette - every once in a while your number comes in
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2004, 03:37:50 PM »

Noel: I never said it wasn't admirable to commit to new musicals. But let's face it, some people have track records of having to suffer through less-than-stellar material. I was part of POOP: THE MUSICAL, for God's sake. I'm all for taking risks, doing new shows...I'm just making a statement: He's been in a run of bad stuff and I hope that his next project has a nice run.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 03:41:39 PM by Jason »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2004, 04:21:07 PM »

In the VARIETY review for DE-LOVELY, it was mentioned that Kevin Kline (as Cole Porter) looks at and comments on NIGHT AND DAY. That should be fun to see.
Does he allude to the film's star being a closet case?

;D 8) ::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2004, 04:23:55 PM »

Just in from my friend's reading. She wants my comments. I'm not sure what to say. Read that any way you choose...
The proper response, according to Merrily We Roll Along, is "Congratulations."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up