Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OLD COLLEGE TRY  (Read 12977 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE OLD COLLEGE TRY
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »

TOD:

Hey Look Me Over
I've Got Your Number
Big Spender
My Personal Property
What Takes My Fancy
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »

Page Two Carroll Baker serious actress dance.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »

Welcome to new DR JOSE CARLOS SIMBULAN JR

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »

DR Jennifer - we submitted our passport applications at our local county clerk's office and the person who accepted them DID look askance at my birth certificate and said it MIGHT not be accepted by the State Department.  I hoped it was just her lack of familiarity with other states, but I guess she was right...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »

I have begun my new exercise program.....no to stick with it, and also begin the diet phase of said program.  TODAY!!

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »

We just had a sudden deluge - YIKES!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »

As is the case with evey day I've done laundry in the past month, it's raining.

I've made the important phone call and sent two emails to my colleague Curtis,. I'm very fond of him and I do like working with him, but things on his end are moving too slowly for my schedule, and I am very unhappy at the moment.

I hate waiting when i need answers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:28:02 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »

Patience is not a virtue I possess.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »

Good Morning!

So... I apparently passed out on the sofa last night in front of the TV (the Cooking Channel) with my laptop on my lap, the lights on and my friend, Yosh, trying to gently wake me up so that I would not fall asleep in such a not-so-comfortable position. And after getting up, turning off the lights and TV and crawling into bed... Well... That was all by 11:15 last night. -I guess I was really sleepy last night. In any case...

I'm up! I'm up!... And I'm having some coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:38 AM »

Here come the thunderstorms.....and heavy rain....thunder and lightning......it IS spring after all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »

DR elmore - I will be heading down to DC for some more pre-Oklahoma! work on Thursday or Friday. If it's just one piece of music you need researched at the LoC, I'd be more than happy to do some leg work for you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »

We just had a sudden deluge - YIKES!

Here come the thunderstorms.....and heavy rain....thunder and lightning......it IS spring after all.

~~~~~STAY SAFE AND DRY VIBES~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »

I know it's not Ask BK/Ask DR Day, but...

A colleague of mine was wondering who did the orchestrations for the movie of "The Sound of Music". On the IMDB they list Irwin Kostal as the music supervisor, arranger and conductor, but there's no orchestrator credit listed - at least not on the IMDB. I know that the original Broadway orchestrations were done by Robert Russell Bennett - with the choral arrangements by Trude Rittman.

Did Kostal adapt Bennett's and Rittman's originals? Or did he start from scratch as it were?

DR elmore?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »

According to Amazon this morning, Jews and Baseball has shipped!!! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.

;)

With a special affection for the score of On the Twentieth Century especially "Life Is Like A Train" and "Never".
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 08:53:29 AM »

Patience is not a virtue I possess.

I did not know that.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »

Wow, that would make a terrific lyric.  Or maybe it already is a terrific lyric.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

DR elmore - I will be heading down to DC for some more pre-Oklahoma! work on Thursday or Friday. If it's just one piece of music you need researched at the LoC, I'd be more than happy to do some leg work for you.

DR Jose, that's very kind. I may take you up on that. Let me see if Loras at the LoC learns anything from my phone inquiry yesterday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »

I know it's not Ask BK/Ask DR Day, but...

A colleague of mine was wondering who did the orchestrations for the movie of "The Sound of Music". On the IMDB they list Irwin Kostal as the music supervisor, arranger and conductor, but there's no orchestrator credit listed - at least not on the IMDB. I know that the original Broadway orchestrations were done by Robert Russell Bennett - with the choral arrangements by Trude Rittman.

Did Kostal adapt Bennett's and Rittman's originals? Or did he start from scratch as it were?

DR elmore?

I think he started from the song sheets published and Rodgers' written copies, but I'd have to ask Bruce Pomahac, who knows all things R&H thoroughly. He might have worked from the published vocal score, but so many of the numbers were expanded and extended for the filming, although most of the arrangements don't sound much like Bennett's originals at all to me, although Trude's work sounds expanded. Keys were changed for some numbers, and I believe that Rodgers had next to no input on "I Have Confidence." Saul Chaplin implies that he and Kostal put it together from bits of the score and a tune and rough lyric that Rodgers sent to LA. How much of that's true and how much is Chaplin stressing his own importance I can't say.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »

TOD - There's very little Cy Coleman that I don't like.  My spirits are always lifted by "Hey There, Good Times" and "Come Follow the Band."

On November 19, 1977, Mr. Coleman was the featured artist with the Middletown Symphony Orchestra and graciously signed autographs afterwards.  He also wrote on my program the name and phone number of someone in New York who would help my friend Becky and me get tickets to I LOVE MY WIFE if we had trouble at the box office the following Wednesday.  Didn't need the help, but we sure did enjoy the show!

As I look at that program today, I am struck by a couple of things.  First of all, my late brother-in-law John played the tuba for that concert and was the orchestra's personnel manager.  There were many local musicians in the group then.  There was an article in our paper recently that there's only one person currently in the MSO who actually lives in Middletown.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »

DR Jose, that's very kind. I may take you up on that. Let me see if Loras at the LoC learns anything from my phone inquiry yesterday.

You're very welcome, DR elmore. -And if I don't make it down this weekend, I will definitely have to head down the middle of next week for two days.

-Although, since it's my niece's birthday and Easter weekend, I will most likely be heading down this weekend. However, I'm also waiting on a few things and people to fall into place for the rest of this week here in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »

I see on IMDB that Kostal assumes a lot of hats. I suspect some of the orchestration is his, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't farm some of it out to friends, possibly Herb Spencer or Eddie Powell, or assistants who'd worked with him in Hollywod since MARY POPPINS.

Russell Bennett regularly used Joe Glover, Hans Spialek, and a few others when he got in a jam; Bill Brohn and Jonathan Tunick worked on the Lincoln Center SHOW BOAT with Bennett. On SOUND OF MUSIC, Rodgers told him that he wanted the entire score done by Bennett, and I suspect that was indeed the case.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »

In related news...

Amtrak just started a 3-day sale for travel between DC and NYC if you're traveling between May 10-26, 2011. Fares as low as $29. -I think the catch is that that sale fare is only good for travel from DC to NYC (and not southbound). Of course, Amtrak's online booking system is currently down, so...

But once it's back up: Fares as Low as $19 on the Northeast Regional - Three Days Only
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »

Get those cheap tickets, Junior!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »

In related news...

Amtrak just started a 3-day sale for travel between DC and NYC if you're traveling between May 10-26, 2011. Fares as low as $29. -I think the catch is that that sale fare is only good for travel from DC to NYC (and not southbound). Of course, Amtrak's online booking system is currently down, so...

But once it's back up: Fares as Low as $19 on the Northeast Regional - Three Days Only

Maybe I can take advantage of that!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

Welcome to new DR JOSE CARLOS SIMBULAN JR

Well... According to my mother - at least when I was nine-years old - my name would have been:

DR J. CARLOS SIMBULAN, JR.

*And that was on top of the close to 20 nicknames I had somehow garnered when I was in grade school. -And then when you couple that with the whole "Are you my real cousin? or just the kid of one of my mom's best friends?" conundrum...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »

In related news...

Maybe I can take advantage of that!

At least once the site is back up...

And according to the fine print, the $29 fare is only good for DC to NYC, not from NYC to DC. And, again, it's only good for travel May 10-26. -Which, I guess, isn't really that far way.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »

As is the case with evey day I've done laundry in the past month, it's raining.

I've made the important phone call and sent two emails to my colleague Curtis,. I'm very fond of him and I do like working with him, but things on his end are moving too slowly for my schedule, and I am very unhappy at the moment.

I hate waiting when i need answers.

All is now good. Curtis is off to England on the BAM-Royal Shakespeare Co (?) Bridge Project and his absence will make things about preparing socres for EILEEN more difficult than I would have preferred. Now that I know we're okay, I can relax a bit.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »

From DR Laura:
Sandra should write the book.

I keep expecting a book from her.  This story seems like a good beginning. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up