Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES  (Read 22065 times)

Danise

Re:THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2004, 10:05:48 AM »

Hi all!

Just wanted to touch base.  I found a cyber cafe right across the street from the hotel with a much better computer.  I was on the free one in the visitors center yesterday and only had 10 minutes.

Elmore was kind enough to call me last night.  It was good to hear a friendly voice.  

NYC isn't what I thought it would be.  I guess I am a very country mouse after all.  I'm glad I've seen it but I won't be sorry to leave.  It's to busy, to dirty and smells bad.  

They tried to put me in one of the small rooms at the hotel but I asked for something different and got 2  twin size beds instead!  Not much of a trade up.  At least the new bathroom has a tub--the first only had a shower!  

I guess I was spoiled by the BW in Utah.  That was a very nice room with a large bathroom and two double beds.

Gotta run.  Will post again in a day or two...
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2004, 10:07:03 AM »

DR Elan, welcome!  I forgot two rain songs, one of which you mentioned, "When the Rain Comes" (and I scored it! Duh!) and "Come In From the Rain."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2004, 10:08:31 AM »

And now I must stop posting and get to work. I've been up since 6. It's now after 10 and I haven't written a word - other than here - nor have I had breakfast or put on clothes. I HAVE had a shower, so at least that's done.
So if you see me here in the  - say - next two hours, send me home.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2004, 10:09:12 AM »

Jason, having seen the show, your Shakalaka Santa would fit right in and wow the crowds at the Barnway, oops, sorry, Broadway. Funny!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2004, 10:10:19 AM »

"Shakalaka Santa"--A First Draft
LOVE IT!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2004, 10:10:34 AM »

Welcome, Elan! Tell us about yourself...

TCB: Thank you for your sweet post.

(BTW, the URINETOWN folks are here...)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2004, 10:11:39 AM »

Good Morni...  Well...

Good Afternoon!

After listening to the first hour or so of NPR's Morning Edition, I believe I drifted off to sleep sometime around 6:15-ish...  I woke up around 9:30, but finally got out of bed around 12:30  - which is practically my normal wake up time anyway lately, so...

DR PennyO - Thank you for reminding me about Street Scene.  I sang Mr. Maurrant in Opera Workshop (a.k.a. OpShop) when I was in college.  The part actually is a little low for me (well, my voice), but I had a great time since the character is so not me, very much the opposite.  People even giggled after my entrance line of "It's a hell of a day..." (or something with "hell" in it)...  I'm not a mean person, I'm not an angry person.  As Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian would say, "ACTing!!"

~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR EMILY'S GRANDMOTHER~~~~
[/size][/b][/color]
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2004, 10:12:53 AM »

On Weill:  Thank you DR Elmore....I couldn't come up with the aria from MAHAGONNY, but you nailed it:  "As You Make Your Bed."  (Saw MAHAGONNY years ago at the Met, and that particular aria has always haunted me.  Not enough to go out and buy a CD (or even a TV), but it has always haunted me.  And either "Speak Low" or "That's Him."

DR Stuart, MAHAGONNY to me is the great Twentieth Century opera!  If you don't  have the Teresa Stratas Kurt Weill album, she does a great job of it in German, "Denn wie man sich bettet," as well as some beautiful things from MARIE GALANTE besides "J'attends un navire," like "Le Roi d'Aquitaine."  You might like it.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2004, 10:13:48 AM »

Oh, Danise...it hasn't even STARTED stinking yet, though for the last two days, every time I go out, I've had this horrible feeling that I've stepped in something. Welcome to the Big Apple! :-D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2004, 10:13:55 AM »

Welcome Back, Elan!  (I'll tell der Brucer you said hi!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »

Got to get ready for the job.  Two hours before showtime, der B decides it's time for us to plant roses!  At least I hadn't showered before, or I'd have to clean up all over again.  (Nice day, but muggy, in an Eastern Seaboard way.)

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2004, 10:18:45 AM »

Good vibes for DR Emily's grandmother. ~~~~~

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2004, 10:20:17 AM »

BK, Satureday?

Why, I'm quite sure I don't know WHAT you're talking about.
 ;D :-X ::)

Oh, sorry...my mistake! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2004, 10:21:59 AM »

One of my favorite Kurt Weill songs is definitely: I am a Stranger Here Myself.

And my favorite rain song is from DAMES AT SEA (I'm just checking the name): la la la la la la ... it's called Raining In My Heart.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 10:32:23 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2004, 10:23:33 AM »

Re: potato salad

I really don't like celery, onions, shallots ... in my potato salad.  I was also suggest that you not put too much, since the party is for the kid.  And if you want it to be something he will like, then less is probably best.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2004, 10:24:54 AM »

I, too, like Raining in my Heart.

Like sand through an hourglass - so are the days of our lives.  Just remember that.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2004, 10:25:13 AM »

Re: last night's Alias finale

If anyone has any idea what the final scene means ... well congratulations. :)

Oy. I can't believe we have to wait 8 months to make sense of that scene.

I am going to alias-tv.com to see what they say.  Because I cannot wait 8 months!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2004, 10:26:15 AM »

I understand that the theatre at which Urinetown played in New York seats 630 patrons.  The Wilshire Theatre, where it played here in Lalaland, seats 1910, more than three times as many.

Apropos to nothing that's been mentioned (which makes this comment a non sequitur--a first for this site..........not!), like a good number of legit theatres in the L.A. area, the Wilshire, which is controlled by the Nederlander organization, sits unused a good deal of the time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 10:28:33 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2004, 10:26:24 AM »

Ooooohh... The A/C repair man is here....

Ooooooooohh... The A/C repair man is here...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2004, 10:26:28 AM »

DR Elmore, I can't join you and Danise on Tuesday. Thanks for the offer, though. Hope to get together with you and DR Jane when she's in the City in October (I believe it's October).

DRBen, it's today, not tomorrow!  It would be pleasant to have you along.  Perhaps next week when DR Penny O, celebrated author of JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY comes to town?  I plan to ask her lots of embarassing questions on the facts behind the luridly scandalous life of her heroine.  She's such a neat lady, I'm certain her answers will be highly entertaining.

Jay

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

Ooooohh... The A/C repair man is here....

Ooooooooohh... The A/C repair man is here...

;)

I think I saw a movie that began with that scenario once.  The A/C wasn't working and, of course, it was really hot, so the service man (you should  pardon the expression) worked shirtless.  

Jay

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2004, 10:31:27 AM »

You can do the math from there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2004, 10:32:06 AM »

Is that a video title DRJOSE?

Welcome to the new posters.....brand new and otherwise!

LOL DRJASON.  I think you should start putting some of your songs into the perusal copies you sent out from MTI.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2004, 10:53:21 AM »

I am a fan of that earliest of rain songs, chanted by disappointed children the world over:

"Rain, rain go away
Come again another day...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2004, 10:56:06 AM »

And "Rainy Days and Mondays' ALWAYS get me down....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Emily

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2004, 10:56:52 AM »

Thank you all for the vibes (and I'm sure my grandmother thanks you too... I can hear her now: "there are people... on the computer?  And these people are giving me punctuation marks?  Emily?)

:D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »

I just spoke to DR Danise, and I will meet her at the Milford Plaza between 6:00 and 6:30 pm EST.  I think we may go to Joe allen's for dinner, so if anybody wants to join us, there's the schedule.  I'll be wearing my hat, looking just like my photo (how sad) but it does save me from carrying a rose and a copy of ANNA KARENINA!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2004, 11:11:23 AM »

I just spoke to DR Danise, and I will meet her at the Milford Plaza between 6:00 and 6:30 pm EST.  I think we may go to Joe allen's for dinner, so if anybody wants to join us, there's the schedule.  I'll be wearing my hat, looking just like my photo (how sad) but it does save me from carrying a rose and a copy of ANNA KARENINA!

Dear Friend:

Iamsosorryaboutlastnight.  Itwasanightmare in every........(Ooooh, a Bock&Harnick/Barbara Cook reference!)

Perhaps DR Danise should also visit the Ben&Jerry's on 43rd Steet?

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2004, 11:28:15 AM »

Heya, Woody! Please do give Der Brucer my best...

Stuart: Thanks for the compliment (I think!), but the photo's from my wedding, some dozen years after my Bar Mitzvah.

Jason:
Well, let's see... I refer to myself as the world's only Orthodox Jewish Straight Theatre Queen(tm), and if that ain't enough of an intro, well, then I don't know what else you want!  ;D

Seriously, though: I'm a nearly-30-year-old New Yawker, and have been a Bruce Kimmel fan (although I didn't know it at the time) since I picked up a copy of Michelle Nicastro's Toonful album back when I was a sprig of a twig of an undergraduate student. In no particular order, I'm an aspiring master's student in chemistry, a Sondheim fanatic (yes, I know, who isn't?), a piano bar devotee with a strong penchant for Tom Lehrer songs, a lab technician for ConEd, and husband to a fellow theatre nut who has somehow managed to overlook her spouse's idiosyncrasies and meshuggas for the past three+ years.

Work calls, so I'll be back to post more irrelevant info at a later time. Take care, and thanks for the welcome!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2004, 11:34:55 AM »

Emily-GOOD VIBES TO YOUR GRANDMOTHER AND MAY SHE CONTINUE HER ACTIVE LIFESTYLE!

Sandra it is so sweet you miss your mother.  DRLaura, I wish I had a daughter like Sandra to miss me.

Welcome back to posting Elan.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up