Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE  (Read 21203 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2004, 06:31:05 PM »

Thanks, all, for the great welcomes to dietydom.

I am ... overwhelmed.

I think I will lie down for a few moments. My head is shpinning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2004, 06:36:23 PM »

Fixed.  

Thank you.  I just went off and wrote out a 316 bar bass part!  No problem is so big that you cannot run away from it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:36:51 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »

And so to bed.  I'm getting up at 4:30.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »

Isn't "Quodlibet" Queen Elizabeth's nickname? (Only the Canadians will get this - and maybe not even some of them.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2004, 06:46:45 PM »

Yes, Danise, that was Noel you heard shouting.

I was reading this when suddenly I was sent back to Noel's original post. :o

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »

You know, Emily, I remember seeing a musical The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe a long time ago, but I don't know who wrote it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2004, 06:56:48 PM »

Archetype for a quodlibet (for me, at least):

"Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell You" (from The Music Man).

Also, from the same show: "Pick-a-little, Take-a-little/Goodnight Ladies."

Since Harold and Marion are actually singing the same melody in their act two counterpoint of "Seventy-Six Trombones" and "Good Night, My Someone," this is not a true quodlibet.  But playing the same game three times running...yes, a Sleuth reference.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2004, 06:59:32 PM »

RE: the difference between a duet and a quodlibet.

Well obviously they can be the same like "Old Fashioned Wedding" from AGYG.  But do most duets have people singing at the same time, or is it usually one and then the other.

Btw, when you described the one person quodlibet, I immediately thought of Christiane Noll's wonderful song (what is the name of it?) on BK's cd.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2004, 07:08:13 PM »

As could be predicted, if my first day at work went wonderfully (and it did), the second day was filled with embarrasing screwups.  I had to be shown several times in a row how to enter a Senior Discount on the register before I could get it right.  But for the most part everything went fairly well.

After work, der B and I attended the preview wine and appetizer party at a new restaurant that's opening this week, called Nage.  They are billing themselves as a "hip bistro," and the food reflects that attitude.  Among the dishes listed on the menu:

Smoked duck breast and duck leg confit with pan seared foi gras, spring onion crepes, and an apple chestnut compote.

Pan fried soft shell crabs with bacon, braised leeks, silky potato puree, and caper berries.

Pan seared king salmon with celery root boulangerie, roasted hen of the woods and baby beet binaigrette with fresh horseradish.

Braised beef short ribs with soba noodles and chile garlic.

or, how about a

Knuckle Sandwich: Lobster salad with mizuna greens and heirloom tomato, on seven-grain honey bread.  (That's on the lunch menu.)

The desserts are, of course, to die for.

Right now, we've got some thunderstorms rolling our way.  Poor Marty, the big lab, is cowering in the closet.  I'm signing off early, since there's lots to do tomorrow, and I want to get going earlier than I did today.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2004, 07:11:18 PM »

All this talk of quodlibet and me without my handy-dandy music history textbook!  (It's in a box of stuff I relocated to my mother's home this weekend)

Sandra - WOW!!!  What a wonderful variety of freak you are! :D

Also, only you can prevent forest fires (not a big threat here in Manhattan)
Very much a threat out here in Washington.  Heard on the news last night that things are already as dry as they are in late July most years!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2004, 07:15:36 PM »

Sandra: Are we supposed to believe that you scored over a million?  If so, HOW?  HOW, when all those stupid flaming red tiles start coming one after another and you can't keep up with them?  I've gotten close to 300,000.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

Wussburger, wussburger
Make me a wuss!
Tell me shame, shame
Right to my puss!
No typing in the dark,
Well, not tonight,
So call me a wuss!
Serves me right!

::)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2004, 07:32:39 PM »

Very cute Woody.  I look forward to reading more about your third day at work.  

Poor Marty.  We once had a dog like that.  I felt sorry for her but boy could she be annoying during a storm.  At least we always knew when one was on it's way.  Echo on the other hand is only afraid of feathers. ;D

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2004, 07:46:36 PM »

Hello, fellow DR's. This will mark the FOURTH time I've tried to post in the past few days, the other three ended up being lost in the bowels of my computer.

I've been muy busy in life these past few weeks..I finished Camelot, auditioned and was cast in "The Enchantment of Beauty and the Beast", took Behind-the-Wheel and recieved my license, started working more hours on the weekends, took some Standard testing for school, planned a baby shower, and competed in the Music in the Parks competition in Hershey Park where we recieved a first place trophy and a superior rating!

So yes...I hope that's a good enough excuse. I've also been taking a bunch of pictures because I realized that I haven't been taking any all year and that isn't good. you can view me and my friends acting like dorks at my online photo album at www.picturetrail.com/sarahdavislovesyou.

Um. I miss HHW...I really wish I could get here more often but as you can see, I've been kind of full, schedule-wise, and this summer is no exception. School is out June 16, and I'm goint to NYC to see WICKED and ASSASINS June 18-20. June 21-July 11 I'm in intensive rehearsals and performances of "TEOBATB", July 17-31 I'm going back to the Shenandoah Performing Arts Camp in Winchester. I have a week off in August and then I'm going to Dillard, Georgia from August 8-14 for a family reunion. Then I'm going to NYC for a bit, don't know the exact dates, and might spend a week or 2 in Boston with my grandparents, and I'll return in time for my birthday and the beginning of school.

Meh.

Communication with me is MUCH easier through email (sarah@davishome.us) or AIM (isingthere4irock), both of which I can use while doing other things, as opposed to the site which takes up a lot of time that I really need to be using. But I truly want to keep in touch with everyone.

Bruce, Aly loved the autograph, can't remember if I told you that or not. Sandra, I am insanely jealous of your Bookworm score. I have all of my friends hooked.

-Swishalish
...Walk in the sunshine...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »

My first produced musical (back when I was a teenager) was based on The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - many have written musicals based on it.

It's quite possible I hold the record for having
written the most quodlibets in musical comedies:

The Great White Way -
Sugar Daddies

Through the Wardrobe -
The Rooms

A Diary -
Accommodations

Pulley of the Yard (Murder at the Savoy) -
Oh, Sorry Sorry Sorry/We Are Performers
It's So Simple

The Christmas Bride -
Searching
Alone in the Night
Good Advice

The Company of Women -
Morning
Breaking the Rules
Sextet

The Love Contract -
Why Do I Do What I Do?
Free

Area 51-
Seeing Stars
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2004, 07:58:51 PM »

Sandra: Are we supposed to believe that you scored over a million?  If so, HOW?  HOW, when all those stupid flaming red tiles start coming one after another and you can't keep up with them?  

She smote them with her sword. (Smote is a REALLY silly word.)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »

Jed, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Smote is a rather silly word, although it's quite fun when you're actually doing it. I managed to spell out "Panni" but for some reason the game wouldn't accept it.

The trick to those flaming red tiles is to just keep up with them. They can be really useful because every time you take a turn, the burning ones take out the tiles just beneath them. It's a good way to get rid of Xs or Qs or other letters you don't want. Sometimes I spell out really short words on purpose just to get those flaming tiles and then use them up after they've gotten rid of whatever tiles I don't want.

And Swishy, if I have made just one person insanely jealous, then my work is complete.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2004, 08:31:08 PM »

Thanks DR Jane. Being cool and not sticky feeling in your own home is VERY important to me. It doesn't have to be refrigerator-cold inside, but I have to have that humidity out of the air. That's what makes it impossible for me to sleep.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2004, 08:41:30 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL:

I was disappointed that two of the three songs tonight were repeat versions of earlier sung songs by the two contestants. I don't remember that from last year at all, and I didn't think either of the girls did as well the second time around with their "hits." As far as the original Tamyra Gray song they both sang, sorry I have to disagree with the judges but I thought Diana's rendition was much more powerfully sung, more exciting, and more impressive in her sustains and control. Since she did hers first (which they all praised), I think they had forgotten how good it was by the time Fantasia closed the show with it. And then they overpraised her rendition which was not especially involving, at least not to me.

Panni

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2004, 08:42:51 PM »

Sandra - Any game that doesn't accept "Panni" is not worth playing. And to think I'm the one who broguht the game to the attention of HHW. Ungrateful!

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2004, 08:50:23 PM »

Today, one of the DVDs I watched to pass the time waiting for the repairman was THE SUNSHINE BOYS which I hadn't seen since the movie came out. (I also saw the original Broadway version). Nice copy of the film, glad I have it.

Watching the costume tests for Walter Matthau and Jack Benny, I was thinking that I'm not sure Benny would have made as much of an impression as George Burns did if Benny had lived to play it.

Now, I LOVE Jack Benny. I always found him hilarious and a totally unique entertainer. But I wonder if he could have been something other than Jack Benny playing this part. Just wondering. I have seen the films he did in the 1940s, and he was fine but still playing a character basically like his "Jack Benny" persona.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2004, 09:25:45 PM »

My mom says to say that she has never seen a Jerry Lewis movie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2004, 09:28:36 PM »

My first produced musical (back when I was a teenager) was based on The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - many have written musicals based on it.

It's quite possible I hold the record for having
written the most quodlibets in musical comedies: ....

But are they recorded? ???  I can't add them to my compilation series otherwise...which I'd love to do!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:30:37 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »

Congratulations to new and recycled Gods!
I am to enjoy this lovely Autumn day.  Back in about 7 hours to check on the many many posts!

TIMES SQUARE
Those people in Times Square may well be the ones that keep the lights on on Broadway! It may also be a "one off" for them to be there in that wonderful vibrant city. Wouldn't you guys be overwhelmed and stop and look if you had read about something all your life and then had your chance to go there?

That's right! So, just remember: The next time you are walking in Times Square, that rear-end you run in to, may very well belong to Tomovoz.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2004, 10:28:54 PM »

Could anyone be that lucky TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2004, 10:32:10 PM »

If anyone talks to DR Danise while she's still in the city, tell her to keep one night free--the Fleet's in!  She can do her own On The Town!

Hell!  If I had known The Fleet was in, I would have gone with Danise!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »

Ssshhh... be quiet... the message board is asleep...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:37 PM »

Good Evening!

-Ooohhh.. was that too loud, Jed?  ;-)

I tried to get bed earlier tonight, but no such luck.  It's almost 3:00AM here on the "right coast", and I think I'm awake.  Wide awake.  Practically wired.  I'm currently sipping on some herbal tea, hopefully, that will help.  I think I've just spent too many late nights lately, and my body clock has adjusted to the schedule - which is actually my "regular" schedule, but...  I do want to get up early tomorrow/today so that I can get a bunch of stuff done before the show...  I guess I'll just have to kick myself out of bed when my alarm goes off... Instead of listening to Morning Edition, and then the first hour of classical music, and then...

We had a good show tonight.  However, towards the end of the first act, the storms that passed over the DC area could be heard from inside the theatre - big ole thunder clap, even a little vibrating going on.  Thankfully, it was just a short storm, so by the time the show got out the skies were clear again.  -But some areas around DC did get pretty hard.  I hope everyone is safe.

As for a quodlibet... I first came across the term when studying Bach's "Goldberg Variations".  The last variation is a quodlibet, with one of the tunes being a song about "kraut" (cabbage).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2004, 12:00:11 AM »

WHEW!  I made it!!! -But I did copy my post just in case the day had "ended".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up