Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE  (Read 21205 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2004, 06:57:15 AM »

Good morning. May I take us to Page Two by saying that the final post of last night by our dear bk besmirched my othewise stellar reputation. The muffin was NOT my dinner. My dinner was my dinner. The muffin was a late night snack. I won't even comment on being called Miss Skin and Bones.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2004, 07:18:47 AM »

GEISHA BOY is my favorite Jerry Lewis film. It has been so many years since I have seen any of his other films that I don't know if I could pick another favorite. I do remember enjoying the ones that I saw. When I was a kid I really liked THE BIG MOUTH and CINDERFELLA.

Panni

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2004, 07:27:46 AM »

To add to the understudy stories…. Back in my acting days, I once understudied the lead in what has now become a legendary Canadian production of THE DYBBUK. It was a huge role - involving much hair-tearing drama,  some dancing, some singing - you name it, it was there - including an exorcism. I had a decent supporting role in the production, but nothing like the LEAD. The famous Canadian actress playing the lead was a real powerhouse and this was THE role of her career. We played Toronto, we toured all over the place (Montreal, Ottawa, etc). We had weekly understudy rehearsals. And I lived in hope. The leading role of Leah involved the aforementioned singing and a lot of dramatic yelling (for those of you who don't know from dybbuks, they are spirits which invade a body - in this particular instance, it was the sprit of the dead lover of the young woman). So, towards the end of the run the leading lady on several occasions came to me after the Saturday matinee - and would whisper, "You'll probably have to go on tonight, Anna. My voice…" I would spend the afternoon going through my lines, lovingly brushing Leah’s long black wig and dreaming of how the part should REALLY be played. I'd show them! And then the evening performance would come... And you guessed it... the LL would summon reserves from some unknown place to which only Actors Equity has the golden key... and go on. (I bet MY understudy who was waiting to go on in my part when I went on in the LL's part is telling a similar story on some other website.)
And here’s the epilogue to this sad tale: It’s actually a good thing I never got to go on. Because in retrospect, I don’t think I would have been good enough. I would have been adequate, but not as good as the LL whom audiences came to see in the part. They would have left disappointed.

Jason

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2004, 07:40:47 AM »

Bonjour and good day to you all. I've been trying to post for the last hour and a half, but being the only one at the reception desk made it difficult...especially since it was busy. Now, of course, since the second receptionist is here, the phones are dead. Go figure.

I am not a huge fan of Mr. Jerry Lewis, but I can see why he would appeal to some. He's just not my cup o' tea. I saw him in the nat'l tour of DAMN YANKEES and thought he was fine, but his cane schtick in "Those Were The Good Old Days" wore thin very quickly. Not for me, but c'est la vie.

Jerry Herman: I can take or leave him. I enjoy MAME and DOLLY and anyone else coming down the stairs with a bugle or a feather or whatever other props they may find backstage. It's great theatrics, but again--doesn't do it for me most of the time.

Can we talk about something real quick? I hate, hate, hate loud eaters. HATE them, and I seem to be surrounded by them. Discuss.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2004, 07:43:38 AM »

Lovely stories....and welcome to Stuart as a full Member and to Dan the HHW GOD....wowow....Maya and Dan....two in two days!

Great story DR PANNI.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2004, 07:51:34 AM »

I won't even comment on being called Miss Skin and Bones.

When I first read this I thought it said "Miss Skull and Bones".

Then I thought, "Hmmm...  Great movie title--"Miss Skull and Bones".

I'm envisioning a Sandra Bullock pic in which she inadvertantly becomes a pirate...maybe she meant to become a pilot--no, no--too derivative...maybe she and her kid brother and sister are taken captive by priates and she's challenged by the pirate captain to a sword fight during which she accidently knocks him overboard.  Of course, the crew elect her their new captain.  And since she is a former Wall Street financial whiz, she excells at leading her pirate crew on raids and thus gains some well-needed self-confidence.  However, she begins to realize the corrupting effects a pirate life has on her brother and sister, and she makes the decision to quit.  But the crew won't let her.  And the original pirate captain (John Cleese?) has been in hot pursuit in order to regain his position.  Not sure how this should climax--maybe a fire on the pirate ship with the kids in danger and Miss Bullock to the rescue.  Also need a true villain--the John Cleese pirate captain is a comic villain who Miss Skull and Bones teams up with in the end to rescue the kids and defeat the true villain--her ex-husband?  her former Wall Street business partner?  Yes--her female ex-partner (Glenn Close?  Helen Mirren?), who also becomes pirate-like in her villainy.  Must have a sword fight between them!  Love interest for Miss Skull and Bones?  hmmmm...

Don't mind me--I'm just spinning out loud here...

I love the creative process!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2004, 07:54:09 AM »

You know DTM, a bunch of us from a certain agency in Indianapolis were sent out on a call for pirates....so a lot of us wore eyepatches....unfortunately the call was for guys to play pilots.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2004, 08:22:49 AM »

You know DTM, a bunch of us from a certain agency in Indianapolis were sent out on a call for pirates....so a lot of us wore eyepatches....unfortunately the call was for guys to play pilots.....

LOL!  I guess the only thing to do in a case like that is to interject a lot of Arrrrrrrs into your reading.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2004, 08:28:03 AM »

When I first read this I thought it said "Miss Skull and Bones".

Then I thought, "Hmmm...  Great movie title--"Miss Skull and Bones".

I'm envisioning a Sandra Bullock pic in which she inadvertantly becomes a pirate...maybe she meant to become a pilot--no, no--too derivative...maybe she and her kid brother and sister are taken captive by priates and she's challenged by the pirate captain to a sword fight during which she accidently knocks him overboard.  Of course, the crew elect her their new captain.  And since she is a former Wall Street financial whiz, she excells at leading her pirate crew on raids and thus gains some well-needed self-confidence.  However, she begins to realize the corrupting effects a pirate life has on her brother and sister, and she makes the decision to quit.  But the crew won't let her.  And the original pirate captain (John Cleese?) has been in hot pursuit in order to regain his position.  Not sure how this should climax--maybe a fire on the pirate ship with the kids in danger and Miss Bullock to the rescue.  Also need a true villain--the John Cleese pirate captain is a comic villain who Miss Skull and Bones teams up with in the end to rescue the kids and defeat the true villain--her ex-husband?  her former Wall Street business partner?  Yes--her female ex-partner (Glenn Close?  Helen Mirren?), who also becomes pirate-like in her villainy.  Must have a sword fight between them!  Love interest for Miss Skull and Bones?  hmmmm...

Don't mind me--I'm just spinning out loud here...

I love the creative process!
You could always have the ship sail over the edge of the world...no, that's been done (Monty Python's the Meaning of Life).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2004, 08:38:18 AM »

Jason, I know what you mean about lound eaters!

I have a co-worker (right next to me) who eats with his mouth open whenever he eats anything, so that you hear the smacking of gums or whatever. It drives me absolutely crazy....particularly if it is early in the morning. But he is a super nice guy and he is the father of another co-worker who is a good friend so I just grin and bear it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2004, 08:39:16 AM »

Good Morning!

Whew!  My "not so Evil Eye" has not knocked on my door yet!  -But I can hear someone moving down the hall, along with various faint knocks, and doors opening and closing...In any case, it was great to sleep in - and an even greater surprise when I looked at the clock and saw that it was later than I thought it would be.  In any case...

As for the Topics of the Day...

I also like "Geisha Boy".  Channel 20 in Washington, DC would show it regularly, and I would always end up finding myself glued to the TV when I was younger.  The expressions of the little boy still get to me in the TV set in my mind.  And I always thought it would be neat to stowaway in a plane like that.

I know I've seen "The Nutty Professor" - and like it - but I'm trying to remember the last time I've seen it... It's been years!

As for Jerry Herman songs... As I've mentioned before, I've never seen a Jerry Herman musical on stage, and I actually don't think I've ever made it all the way through a Jerry Herman musical on film either.  That being said, the score for Mack & Mabel is one of my favorites: "Time Heals Everything", "Wherever He Ain't", "I Won't Send Roses", etc.

On the flip side, for some reason "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" doesn't sit too well with me.  It just kind of bugs me for some reason.  And "Ribbons Down My Back" truly annoys me - at least when I play it at auditions.

OK - Well time for me to do something ???... and step out for a few minutes so that the "not so Evil Eye" can have her chance to tidy up today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2004, 08:56:02 AM »

Miss Skull and Bones, that's me.  

TOD - I haven't seen a Jerry Lewis movie in years, so I can't really comment. I CAN say that Dean Martin was a superb, highly underrated straightman.

As for the other Jerry... Mr. Herman IMHO is also highly underrated. He's written some great stuff. My faves have all been mentioned, but here's the list of what I can think of now. (And I'm by no means familiar with all his work).

Time Heals Everything
Before The Parade Passes
So Long Dearie
My Best Girl
Best Of Times
If He Walked Into My Life
It Only Takes A Moment
Put On Your Sunday Clothes
We Need A Little Christmas
Open a New Window

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2004, 09:08:48 AM »

Miss Skull and Bones, that's me.  

Pirate Panni!  Hoop-la!
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2004, 09:26:11 AM »

Jerry Lewis films:

"The Nutty Professor"
"Cinderfella"

...but my favorite was always, "The Delicate Delinquent" -- I loved that film!

Jerry Herman songs (I admit it, I love hs music):

Put On Your Sunday Clothes
So Long Dearie
Hello, Dolly!
We Need A Little Christmas
It's Today
If He Walked Into My Life
Mame
My Best Girl
Love Is Only Love
Dear World
I Won't Send Roses
Look Over There
I am What I Am
With You On My Arm
Avenue A
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »

DR BEEKAY, I think that Mack & Mabel is one of those B'way failures that really does deserve a second chance.  I've loved it ever since my senior year high school class performed it.  I disagree with the experts like Mandlebaum who say that the book and/or subject matter is unworkable--I think it's a pretty solid book. And the score is one of the best around!  

If it were revived, I would hope that they would cast someone a little off-kilter as Mabel instead of going for the obvious.  The role calls for a good physical commedianne and not just someone who can belt out the songs.  Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know about casting, but isn't this actually being readied for a comeback ("I hate that word...it's a 'return' "--a Sunset Blvd. reference), a revival?  I'd read that the late Michael Stewart's sister is (was?) rewriting the book.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2004, 09:29:18 AM »

Good morning all.  BK I know it's too late now, but couldn't you just have moved your car (early) on to the next stree?

As for DR Jose's story about the leading actor changing his mind to go on, I can see it from both points of view.  Sure it was cruel to do that to the understudy after all those plans had been made.  But it's also possible that the leading actor either a) had such a strict work ethic and never wanted to miss a show or b) felt like the audience would be disappointed not to see him.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2004, 09:30:50 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[shadow=red,down]WELCOME DAN-IN-TORONTO!  YOU HAVE FINALLY JOINED THE "IN" CROWD![/shadow]
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2004, 09:38:49 AM »

Mini-frenzy here, but it seems that somewhere along the line I have become a Full Member.

No comments from the peanut gallery, or those of us still waiting for that shirtless A/C repairman.

DR Stuart, congratulation on your status upgrade!

Waiting or hoping?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »

Good morning all.  BK I know it's too late now, but couldn't you just have moved your car (early) on to the next stree?

As for DR Jose's story about the leading actor changing his mind to go on, I can see it from both points of view.  Sure it was cruel to do that to the understudy after all those plans had been made.  But it's also possible that the leading actor either a) had such a strict work ethic and never wanted to miss a show or b) felt like the audience would be disappointed not to see him.

I can see it from both sides too... Unfortunately, in this case there was some malevolence on the part of the "overstudy" when he decided to go ahead and go on that evening.  -I had left that part out - and it does make a difference.  The "understudy" would have been "fine" with not going on that night, but, unfortunately, the "overstudy" was the quite the divo at the time, and was being quite difficult throughout the production.  So...

And, again, the "overstudy's" absence that night was announced weeks in advance, and the lobby card had already been posted with the understudy information.

-And I still haven't done anything...  But I think I'm going to go ahead and take a nice walk around the neighborhood again and get some lunch along the way.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2004, 09:49:35 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Congratulations, Dan!
[/glow][/size][/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

Well, the street is whatever it is and it's blocked at both sides.  I must say, whatever they did they did quietly and now it is eerily quiet out there.  Eerily, do you hear me?

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 09:54:34 AM »

DR Jose: Did you make up the word "overstudy". I like it. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »

How can Ginger Rogers write in her autobiography that she only missed one performance when she was doing HELLO, DOLLY! on Broadway, and David Merrick's biographer write that the only person who missed MORE performances was Pearl Bailey?

There was talk that the conductor was instructed to give his downbeat for the overture as soon as the announcement was spoken: "Tonight the part of Mrs Levi will be played by Bibi Osterwald." Downbeat  and at that moment simultaneously, the box office refund window would be shut tight.

It became known as the "Ginger Rogers downbeat."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2004, 09:57:59 AM »

That may be fine for those who live on the street....but what about people who might be coming to visit you?

It reminds me of an episode of the Outer Limits.  And remember what the policeman said in BEGINNING OF THE END?  One little town in Illinois had been wiped off the face of the map, but the government was keeping it quiet.....exactly how do you keep a thing like that quiet?  Especially with Peggie Castle on the job?

Panni

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2004, 10:07:30 AM »

bk - I won't be around for a few hours to read it (have to do some reading for a lunch meeting) but I'd like to hear if there were some interesting Jerry Lewis A's to the Q's last night.
Thanking you in advance,
Ms. Skull and Bones

Panni

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2004, 10:08:59 AM »

...aka Pirate Panni.

Jason

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2004, 10:14:54 AM »

Shakalaka, Panni...!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2004, 10:21:22 AM »

At this point, Mr. Lewis answers by rote, although he is charming doing so.  I saw this same film in Vegas a few years ago with him in attendance - same answers then, because everyone tends to ask the same questions.  He never really went into details about how he invented the video assist back in the mid-sixties, but he implied he's gotten a lot of money from it.  This I doubt as I don't think he patented it (which he should have).  He said his only participation in The Nutty Professor remakes was insisting on Eddie Murphy.  When asked how he liked them he said, "They worked hard."
He spoke lovingly of Dean Martin and he told us that his book, Memories, might be out as soon as Christmas or, if not, then by early next year.  Very doubtful as he's still (according to him) got 100 pages to go on a three thousand page manuscript (he admits that if you consolidated his pages that the manuscript would run only 1600 pages - still, even as a book book it would run 1000 pages easily, if that's the case).  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2004, 10:31:28 AM »

There are valid arguments for the validation of the California same-sex marriage licenses issued.....but this woman arguing the case is completely incompetent.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2004, 10:36:52 AM »

As a joke once, I bought my pal, Mr. Drake, a used record album I found of Jerry Lewis singing as a gag birthday present.  It was called, appropriately enough, Jerry Sings...or something like that.  

Since I'm not much a fan of Lewis or Herman, I guess just about the worst present anyone could give me would be a CD of Jerry Sings Jerry!  I could think of nothing more excruciating than hearing Jerry Lewis sing Hello, Dolly or Mame or, God forbid, I Am What I Am.

Does Anyone remember when Jerry Lewis had a short-lived two-hour variety show on Saturday night?  One time his only guest, if memory serves, was Sammy Davis, Jr.  Wow!  Was that a packed two hours of entertainment.  They twirled guns,played drums, sang, danced, and everything!

My most distinct Jerry Lewis memory is when Sinatra brought Dino on the Telethon.  That was a TV moment.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 10:40:14 AM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up