Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE  (Read 21207 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2004, 10:45:58 AM »

I just read that Smiles of a Summer Night was released on DVD today.  It's a Criterion release, so it's probably pricey.  I'll have to check to see if Tower Records has it on sale.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

This just in: Cyndi Lauper is rumoured to be Ms. Kerry Butler's replacement in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS on Broadway. Anthony Rapp is rumoured for the national tour. These are only rumours, but I think they're interesting and since I have nothing else to talk about today, I thought I'd perpetuate the rumours. They're not hurtful rumours, so I feel no guilt in doing this...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2004, 11:03:16 AM »

Page Three Dance

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2004, 11:12:56 AM »

Relevant to last night's finale to "The Swan" -- a "reality" show in which a bunch of low-self-esteem-plagued plain janes undergo extreme makeovers and therapy to compete in a beauty pageant for the title of "The Swan" -- the hosts of a local San Francisco radio "drive" show this morning were talking about the contestants: "It didn't look right to me, somehow."  "What do you mean?"  "Well, they looked fake...like a bunch of drag queens pretending to be pretty women!"

I nearly rear-ended a bus!

In addition to the multitude of great, magnificent Jerry Herman tunes mentioned this morning, I'll add "The Tea Party" from "Dear World" as one of the finest musical constructs ever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:34:41 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2004, 11:33:09 AM »

Calvin & Hobbs!  Boy, do I miss that comic strip!

Another Lewis memory.  One I used to listen to, after I had gone to bed...There was a spate of time when he took over the Tonight Show after Jack Paar left as interim host.  I used to listen to him and Hugh Downs banter in the opening twenty minutes of the show from my bedroom when they folks would watch the show every night.  Is my memory playing tricks on me or did this actually happen?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2004, 11:33:59 AM »

In addition to the multitude of great, magnifience Jerry Herman tunes mentioned this morning, I'll add "The Tea Party" from "Dear World" as one of the finest musical constructs ever.  

I agree, DR RLP, that the Tea Party sequence is a marvel of contrapuntal composition.  And that his efforts in this manner are often overlooked (but show up in many of his scores).  But it's not a Herman tune that I sing in the shower.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS MAYA!  You are a great addition to the clouds.  

MBarnum your Sun Goddess is really cute.

Singerdreamer, you have my favorite color of hair.

Jason hope you are feeling better today.  Be sure to let us know which role you do get.

JoseSPiano it sounds to me as if your friend, the “understudy”, was a big threat to the “overstudy”,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2004, 11:36:36 AM »

I agree, DR RLP, that the Tea Party sequence is a marvel of contrapuntal composition.  And that his efforts in this manner are often overlooked (but show up in many of his scores).  But it's not a Herman tune that I sing in the shower.

Hmmmm....that might be an interesting sound if you did!

I think the recording is a miracle, though....so spacious and all the parts beautifully balanced.

Every time I hear "The Tea Party," I then have to haul out "A Little Night Music" and revel in "Now, Soon, Later."

And "vice-a versa!!!"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:54:57 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2004, 11:52:41 AM »

So who will win American Idol?

Will it matter who performs better tonight?

Or what the judges say?

I think Fantasia will win.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2004, 11:58:53 AM »

I CAN say that Dean Martin was a superb, highly underrated straightman.

I wouldn’t say that since he is constantly being referred to as the greatest staightman ever.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2004, 11:59:05 AM »

DR CPOGUE it could have happened.  In addition to the 2-Hour Jerry Lewis Train Wreck, I recall an hour show on Tuesday or Thursday evening sometime afterwards where one of his characters was Ralph Rotten, a crippled mad scientist...and it made me laugh.

I also remember Redd Foxx's Comedy Hour which I enjoyed a lot, especially Raymond J. Johnson Jr....but you doesn't have to call me that, you can me Ray, you can call me Jay, you can call me RJ or you can call me Ray Jay....or you can call me RJJ, Jr, but ya doesn't has to call me Johnson!

LOL...

Back to the Beach will be released on DVD next Tuesday....Annette sings Pajama Party Tonight and Jamaica Ska!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2004, 12:01:39 PM »

Back from a walk (my only mode of transportation until six).  Very gray and chilly out today.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2004, 12:07:56 PM »

I hate Times Square.  I've been known to shout at people.  "Hey, it's called a sideWALK, not a sideSTAND"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2004, 12:12:47 PM »

I love THE NUTTY PROFESSER and it is my absolute favorite Jerry Lewis movie.  I did think he was wonderful in The King of Comedy but it isn’t a movie I would want to watch over and over again.

I always found Jerry Lewis to be an entertaining guest on talk shows.  Recently, on either E:True Hollywood Story or ET Biography-it wasn’t on A & E, we saw the best biography on him we have ever seen of anyone.  Mostly this biography was so impressive due to the interviews with Jerry.

I can’t say I have a Jerry Herman favorite.  And obviously some of you don’t have a favorite either, you just like them all.  There are some long lists here.

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR NEWEST GOD, Dan-in-Toronto.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »

Just checking in to say hello. Must get dressed for my "creative" meeting. It's actually more of a getting to know you meeting before the Network meeting tomorrow afternoon. Two of the producers I already know - did MISS ROSE WHITE with them. The other person I don't think I've met before - but who knows. The one little problem is that I feel like I'm going to vomit - probably nerves - but it would be bad form to vomit on the production executives, no? Emily Post says vomiting on people with whom you are about to work is BAD form.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:14:57 PM by Panni »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2004, 12:15:54 PM »

I can’t say I have a Jerry Herman favorite.  And obviously some of you don’t have a favorite either, you just like them all.  There are some long lists here.

Guilty.  But his tunes are just so gosh-darn infectious!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »

Update - I just did some deep breathing and don't feel quite as nauseated.
Over and out.
Pirate P.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2004, 12:23:28 PM »

Panni I shouldn't laugh when you are feeling so stressed, but you are funny.  Good luck with the meeting.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2004, 12:24:16 PM »

It's good that you're feeling less nauseated, DR Panni. And you're right, it's not proper to vomit on people with whom you are interviewing, but remember, Benjamin Kritzer has taught us, if you are going to vomit, you must "vomit on the floor"

DR Noel, as you approach your G*d hood (only 7 away), perhaps you will be able to float over the touristas on Broadway and 7th Avenue.

BTW (by the way), love the comment. I'll have to use it next time I am stuck behind someone who suddenly forgot how to walk and I end up in his or her back.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2004, 12:47:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Not too bad outside today - even though the temp is supposedly right around 90, the humidity is down.

My walk today took me to the Peruvian restaurant just a few blocks from where I'm staying.  Very bare bones, very family oriented.  And pretty good food.  I had some beef that was prepared "adobo" style  accompanied by some white beans and rice, as well as some particularly good pickled red onion slices.  However, I found the fried corn kernels that were put down on the table as soon as I sat down very addictive.  It was like eating a small dish of "old maids" (the half-popped kernels at the bottom of the popcorn bowl - although, "pop nots" is a better name for them).  But I could tell these were prepared in house, and they were still slightly warm.   Soooo good.  And to wash it all down, I had an Inca Cola - just love that bubble gum-my flavor.

Oh, and now I must do some laundry...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2004, 12:47:47 PM »

DR Noel, as you approach your G*d hood (only 7 away), perhaps you will be able to float over the touristas on Broadway and 7th Avenue.

BTW (by the way), love the comment. I'll have to use it next time I am stuck behind someone who suddenly forgot how to walk and I end up in his or her back.

Gosh, Ben!  Would you really say something like that to folks on the sidewalk?  What if they're taking pictures?

However did you manage to get all those pictures in your travels of you and yours standing in front of buildings?  Did the photographer float or stand in the street?

:)

I'd think that in New York, particularly, a saucy comment like that could leave a fella with a black eye or something....

« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:36:28 PM by RLP »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2004, 12:52:46 PM »

Click here for some wav files of Mr Martin and Mr Lewis having a VERY bad time of it trying to record some promos for THE CADDY.

http://humor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.earthstation1.com/Martin%5F%26amp%3B%5FLewis.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:54:09 PM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »

JRand53 -- we all know that DR Matt is sweltering in heat and humidity, and we know that DR BK is having a gray and cool day.

The Bay Area is quite coolish and partly gray, too.

How are things in Indiana... this fine day?

Jed

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »

Not much of a fan of either Jerry, but there are a few bits of Herman I enjoy.  Time Heals Everything would top my list.

Talk of pirates reminds me of an English class my senior year in HS.  My friend Joey was/is a rather hilarious individual, and he was on a bit of a pirate kick at the time.  A bee was flying around the classroom, and Joey commenced freaking out to get away from the bee.  The teacher (one of my all-time favorites) asked, "Joey, how are you ever going to make it as a pirate if a little bee freaks you out?"  Joey's instant response: "Arrrr, there be no bees on the high seas!"
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Emily

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2004, 01:03:02 PM »

LMAO Jed!!! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2004, 01:07:13 PM »

And because I miss Italy today....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2004, 01:09:35 PM »

Iff'n there were bees on the high seas, they'd probably hover around the rum kegs....

...and then there'd be "high" Bees and none of 'em could hit their "high" C's!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2004, 01:20:58 PM »

RLP it is a balmy 77 degrees here today.  Thunderstorms are expected as the evening goes along, but that's okay.

Spent the morning taking my sister to the BMV and traveling to the bank and post office....so just an average day.

Thanks for asking.  The way it's been going, I was beginning the think my posts were invisible.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:21:15 PM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2004, 01:22:23 PM »

Ya know how you can stare at something and suddenly see a face in it?  Sometimes, it's there every time you look, and other times you have to kind of fix your eyes a certain way...

Anyway, there's a vista of a group of trees and buildings out a window near me and every time I look at it, I see a face.  Today, it reminds me of Howard Keel in "Kismet" as he might have been depicted by Kapralik.  It looks different depending upon the amount of foliage on the trees, but today it's definitely Keel.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:31:00 PM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »

One two, buckle my shoe....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up