Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FABULOUS FRIDAY  (Read 48812 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FABULOUS FRIDAY
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were not all that fabulous and were certainly not written on a Friday, and now it is time for you to post until the Fabulous Cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FABULOUS FRIDAY
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:41:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: UKASE!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37:13 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm... And I have the first post!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:38:00 AM »

Oh! And, yes, I'm still up.

I just got home from the library!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I'm guessing my first slice of pizza either came from Pizza Hut or Shakey's. Although, there's also a chance it could have come from a box in my parents' freezer. Wherever it came from, it most likely just plain cheese, or at the very most pepperoni. And I guess I liked it. And I still do.

A pepperoni made with real pepperoni is still my go-to. -I especially like it when the pepperoni is cooked till it's crisp on the edges, maybe even a little burnt.

As for the exotic toppings: I do like some of the California Pizza Kitchen and CPK-inspired combos: BBQ Chicken, Thai Chicken, etc.

The "exotic" topping I still don't get is broccoli. I actually like broccoli, but it's just doesn't work as a pizza topping. If I want something green on my pizza, I'll go for spinach, or arugula that's been placed on top of the hot pizza right after it's come out of the oven.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:45:20 AM »

And as for my Trip To The Library...

In short, I had a blast.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 04:05:39 AM »

In "long"...

The only preparation I did for this "game" was to read the rules and guidelines - which were very basic and simple. I also signed up on "The First 500" Facebook group which became a sort of clearinghouse of questions and answers, as well as a way for some people to e-meet others before last night.

Once we all checked in, we gathered in Astor Hall for some introductions, and then we all headed upstairs to the beautiful main Reading Room. Then once we were there, we were divided into two groups: Patience and Fortitude. ;) Then it was up to us to "find" and organize ourselves into smaller teams, squads. -I actually ended up meeting a writer from the New York Times, Jenny8Lee, and she was there with two friends, and we ran into another friend of theirs as were getting things organized at our table.

The way the game worked involved using an app on your iPhone or Android to scan QR codes that were placed on or around various artifacts in the Library. Once you scanned the code, you would unlock some information about the code, as well as a "mission" of sorts. Each artifact was used as a springboard for some sort of creative project. You were provided some ideas, and then you either wrote some sort of prose, or you could even draw a picture to reflect the theme of that artifact. The squads did not have to find and scan every since QR code, nor did they have to complete every "mission". However, it was up to "The First 500" to keep track via various bulletin boards which artifacts had been found and which missions had been completed. This made it possible for every artifact to be found and each mission to be completed via a crowd-sourcing of sorts.

Some teams started off by dividing up and getting all the QR codes scans. Others had people who wanted to do less physical leg work, and stayed at the desks at their computer waiting for the team members to find an artifact, and then start working on one of the missions. Basically, even though it was a "game", and there was some competition involved, it was truly about collaboration.

My team sort of did a bit of each. We all started off together finding the first couple of artifacts just so we could see how everything was set up. Then two of them went back up to the reading room and started working on some of the writing assignments, while the rest of us - myself included - kept exploring the library.

Along the way we came across postcards from "the future" for other participants, and then we had to go and find those participants and deliver their postcard to them personally. In other words, it was a cool way to meet other people.

The game started a little before 9:00pm, and the last call for stories was at 4:30am. At 5:00am, we all reassembled for a closing ceremony of sorts, and, most importantly, to sign the copy of the Book we had all just spent the past couple of hours writing together. And the Book was actually being printed and bound throughout the night. Alas, it was not completed by the time we left, but it should be on display by early next week. And each of us who attended tonight and contributed to the book will now be listed as an Author in the catalog of The New York Public Library. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:12:55 AM »

Otherwise...

For a game that depended so much on technology, the whole event ran rather smoothly. There were some problems early on with one of the computer servers, but there were no major crashes - none at all, actually - and the few glitches that did pop up were relatively minor. I also appreciated how the game was geared toward all levels of players, all levels of commitment.

There were some truly gung-ho and high-strung people. One guy even came dressed as a Ghostbuster. Others just chose to take care of things at a leisurely pace to fully take advantage of being in the NYPL during the overnight hours, and having access to places that the public doesn't normally get to see. I kind of shifted between modes throughout the course of the evening-into-morning.

One of the artifacts that totally blew me away was Tony Straiges set model for Sunday in the Park with George. It's set up in the library's Centennial Exhibition. It wasn't part of any of the missions, but I did end up spending a few extra minutes looking at it and into it. Beautiful.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:17:08 AM »

So....

The online game should soon be opening to the public worldwide, and it's set up so that you can either come to the NYPL and use a smartphone app, or you can explore the museum via your computer at home. Or school.  In fact, I think some of the missions would make great creative writing assignments for students of all ages.

If you have an iPhone of Android phone (sorry, no Blackberry app), just go to your app store and search for "Find the Future".

If you just want to play the web-based game, just go to http://findthefuture.nypl.org -Sign up for an account and start playing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:23:53 AM »

That sounds like so much FUN,  DR JOSE!  I haven't read your tweets yet!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 04:24:17 AM »

Thanks to DR ELMORE and DR MBARNUM for the soon to be received entertainment packages!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »

DR GINNY - if I am not mistaken, the Daughter of Cleopatra is Debra Paget.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »

Today is my work day for the week.....if the world does not end....which I do not think will happen....but we shall see and.....just a moment......just a moment.......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 04:25:40 AM »

False alarm....neighbor still needs a new muffler on her car.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »

And now...

Well, I'm actually feeling pretty good. The sun is coming up, so that's helping to sway any drowsiness. I'm also tempted to head out for a good hot breakfast somewhere. Maybe Chinatown. We shall see.

*Oh, they had some great food for us at the NYPL. Besides a never-ending supply of coffee, tea, Vitamin Water, sodas and Red Bull, they also had various snack and sandwiches from Whole Foods and local restaurants and bakeries. There were even some mini-ham and egg biscuits brought out at 4:00am. That was some good knoshing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 04:27:56 AM »

Here I am at the City Hall with my two friends Vickie & Peggy - all three of us Past Presidents of PCPH.....prior to the reading of the Proclamation making May 22-28 Putnam County Playhouse 50th Anniversary Week in Greencastle.   ;D

The actual photo was NOT in the paper today....maybe on Monday.  8)

I should have unbuttoned my jacket for said photos.  :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 04:30:30 AM »

Oh!

And Chris Lowell, who played "Dell" on "Private Practice", was also one of the participants. We were both in the Patience, and ended up sitting at neighboring table. As the event wined down, we ended up chatting a while. A very nice guy. *There's a pic of him on my Facebook page as well as in my Twitter stream.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »

Greetings from the District of Columbia.  Limited posting access this weekend at the hotel, but I wanted to check in.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »

Lovely photo, Jrand!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »

"Past Presidents of PCPH" - Say that five times fast!

-Nice pic, DR Jrand!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 04:34:12 AM »

Greetings from the District of Columbia.  Limited posting access this weekend at the hotel, but I wanted to check in.

Good Morning, DR FJL. -This is your "family weekend", right? If so, I hope you have a wonderful time. And, if not, I hope you see some good shows. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 04:40:49 AM »

Good morning, all! I'll be off to Toyland very shortly. I could accomplish my work here, but since I'm having a meeting at 1pm at 26th and Sixth and Toyland is at 27th, and close to Sixth, it seems silly not to accomplish what I need to do there.

Well, last night's dreams were weird and I remember moments of two of them: my lovely soprano friend Sara Jen Ford was recording NAUGHTY MARIETTA and she was married to this bounder-conductor that DR Ginny and I once knew who went through life and several marriages with an open fly. He's probably still paying child support to someone.  In the second dream I was in a very swank hotel and trying to return a credit card to one of the Real Housewives of Atlanta and retrieve mine!

I heard from Ron Raines. His opening night gift arrived and tonight's the night. I've heard much I cannot report but I wish Ron, Danny Burstein, and Christian Delcroix who's playing young Danny Burstein a big success.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:42:58 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 04:41:17 AM »

Thanks DR JOSE and DR FJL.....two of my favorite people.....and two of my favorite HHW people.

DR JOSE......I like how you wrote "wined down" - I should like to do that this very evening.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 04:44:16 AM »

Good morning, all! I'll be off to Toyland very shortly. I could accomplish my work here, but since I'm having a meeting at 1pm at 26th and Sixth and Toyland is at 27th, and close to Sixth, it seems silly not to accomplish what I need to do there.

Well, last night's dreams were weird and I remember moments of two of them: my lovely soprano friend Sara Jen Ford was recording NAUGHTY MARIETTA and she was married to this bounder-conductor that DR Ginny and I once knew who went through life and several marriages with an open fly. He's probably still paying child support to someone.  In the second dream I was in a very swank hotel and trying to return a credit card to one of the Real Housewives of Atlanta and retrieve mine!

I heard from Ron Raines. His opening night gift arrived and tonight's the night. I've heard much I cannot report but I wish Ron, Danny Burstein, and Christian Delcroix who's playing young Danny Burstein a big success.

DR elmore - There's lots of work on the subway this weekend, plus lots of street fairs. You may way to check http://mta.info before you head down for the service advisories.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

A photo of Miss Vickie & me at the opening night of The Sound of Music.  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:23 AM »

Thanks DR JOSE and DR FJL.....two of my favorite people.....and two of my favorite HHW people.

DR JOSE......I like how you wrote "wined down" - I should like to do that this very evening.

You're welcome, DR JRand.

And as for "wined down", I guess that could be considered a combination of sleep-deprived spelling, wishful thinking and Freudian slipping. ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:53:33 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 04:48:40 AM »

A photo of Miss Peggy and me when we starred in The Prisoner of Second Avenue in 1990.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 04:49:15 AM »

LOL DR JOSE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »

Oh...

And as at least one DR already found out, since I had won my spot via Twitter, the NYPL interviewed me before the event started. -So here's a 24-second edit of the brief interview they did with me.

*Yes, I know. I talk too fast. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 05:01:04 AM »

OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So, I check my Facebook messages sometime after things got started, and I noticed a messaged from a young woman that I met at a friend's New Year's Eve party about two years ago. We had discussed various shows at the time, and I had given her my card since I had some material she had been trying to track down. Well, she had lost track of my card, and as time went by, well...

It turns out, she's a major bibliophile, and had actually entered to be a part of "The First 500", but even though her "First Quest" garnered a lot of votes online, she was not ultimately selected to be a part of tonight's event. However, she kept following the tweets as well as the various updates on Facebook. -And one of those updates happened to be my interview! "Hi... Do you remember me? I just saw your video, and..."

What a coincidink!?!??! :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up