Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: IF THE SHOE FITS  (Read 44740 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: IF THE SHOE FITS
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »

I'm remembering a few more tidbits:

The actors were asked how their costumes related to the character.  Bernadette said that her character wore red so her long-lost love, Ben, wouldn't miss her.  

They were asked if they approached the songs differently in the show as compared to singing them in concert.   Ron Raines mentioned that people say that they finally understand Sondheim's most well known song "Send in the Clowns" when they see it in
"A Little Night Music."  Bernadette stated that she would probably never sing that song in concert unless there were some way to put it in context.

DR KevinH - Thanks for your Follies reports.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »

~~~~~VIBES FOR DR ELMORE'S DEAR FRIEND CRAIG~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »

That's amazing, FJL, seeing Follies three times in one weekend!    I think I will go back before it leaves. 

Amazing is certainly one word for it! :)

So...

DR elmore - If it somehow worked out for you to get down to DC to see this production of Follies, would you? Or would your personal disdain for the director prevent you from enjoying the work of your friends and colleagues - Ron Raines, Terri White, Warren Carlyle, etc.? Certainly you don't think lesser of them for being a part of this production.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »

Oh...

Backtracking to last night...

The three mini-musicals I saw last night were presented by the National Asian Artists Project - which was founded by the wonderful Baayork Lee. I had played the auditions for this presentation, so...

The three musicals were presented in a semi-staged concert format (binders-in-hand, music stands, keyboard, no mics(!)). They were:

Birth Day by J. Oconer Navarro
Crossing Over by Timothy Huang
The Train to Chicago by Tom Kenaston and Tom Paitson Kelly

It turned out that Crossing Over featured Lori Tan Chinn who I hadn't seen in a couple of years. She was "Bloody Mary" when I did South Pacific at Arena Stage (which starred the lovely Kate Baldwin* as Nelly Forbush). We had a nice mini-reunion after the show.

*And it was just announced that Kate will be returning to Arena Stage at the end of next season as Marian in The Music Man. -Of course, I'm wondering if her husband, Graham Rowat, will be trying out for Harold Hill. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »

And...

It was interesting watching a company of Asian-American actors portraying characters that were not explicitly Asian-American.  The first two pieces took place "today", they were contemporary. There was no "implication" of race. However, the last piece, The Train To Chicago was set in the Midwest during World War II, and the actors were most definitely portraying non-Asian-Americans. And as an Asian-American myself, well... It was quite a thought-provoking evening. -But that's part of the mission of NAAP.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »

And...

It turns out the the composer of The Train to Chicago, Tom Kenaston, was a student of DR FJL's ever-lovin' Skip at the BMI-Lehman Musical Theatre Workshop.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:06:17 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:14 PM »

~~~~~CONTINUED VIBES TO DR JHVW AND JOE~~~~~

And I really hope that line of storms that moved through there tonight did not cause any more harm.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »

And since I'm meeting a friend for lunch in 10 hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »

And now, I'm off to the Washington Center's Volunteer appreciation night!  I'm sure they'll announce some really good performers for their next season! :D

Until later!

Tonight's volunteer appreciation night was fun!  They had a fancy spread and some very nice desserts.  As for the performers, here are some of the highlights (in no particular order):

* Lorna Luft:  "Songs My Mother Taught Me"
* India.Arie and Iden Reichel
* "Cocktails with Larry Miller"
* The Miles Davis Experience: 1949-1959
* Momix:  Bontanica
* ScrapArtsMusic
* The Capitol Steps
* Playing For Change

and many others.  As for touring shows, they're going to bring in Spamalot!, Young Frankenstein AND In the Heights!  They also might bring in a tour of Brigadoon.  They have a spot open and were thinking about something a little more traditional.

Those are just some of the highlights of the 2011-2012 season at the  Washington Center for the Performing Arts! ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:05:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up