Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRID SANDWICH  (Read 23470 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE HORRID SANDWICH
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2004, 08:51:49 PM »

As for reading "while sitting down"... Well, one of my uncles is a gastroenterologist, and he - as well as other medical experts - advise against reading in the bathroom.  For some people, spending that much time in the bathroom can cause problems.  -I'll leave it at that.

I give up! Is there ANYTHING that isn't bad for you! :P

Panni

« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2004, 08:56:20 PM »

PAGE SEVEN!

Panni

« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »

I'm putting off watching some cartoons I need to watch by coming to the site to read interesting posts. And all I see is ME. Most unseemly.  

Panni

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2004, 09:32:19 PM »

Here I am again. I got my history channel DVDs for Emmy consideration today. A propos of today's discussion, two of the DVDs are FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION, a behind the scenes look at the early years of NASA; and JFK: A PRESIDENCY REVEALED.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »

Well, lo and behold... I'm sleepy, I'm tired, my eyelids are getting heavy... And it's not even 4:00AM yet?!?!?!

Time to catch the ZZZs while they're in reach right now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2004, 09:57:16 PM »

REALITY CHECK, PEOPLE!  Remembering where you were when Kennedy was shot IS NOT quite the same thing as when Kennedy Jr. died.  The one was a genuine tragedy and national calamity (whether you liked him or not) and the other was...I'm sorry...an unfortunate incident.  But Dad WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WHO WAS ASSASSINATED.  Jr. was a nice enough rich guy who wrecked his plane.  What were his accomplishments that his death should have the same weight and memory factor as his father's?  He started a magazine that nobody I know reads and he apparently had a dubious marriage. Not quite the same thing as Dad on the scale of things. I have no idea where I was when I heard the news he died.  The world did not stop for me that day.  It ain't up there with JFK's assassination or 9/11.

Charles, WEL's original question was lost on a great number of our younger members because they weren't born when President Kennedy was assassinated.  Little by little the (unofficial) topic of the day was expanded to include other events that stand out in people's mind.  JFK Jr. just happened to be one of that eclectic mix of people known as celebrities.  Being a celebrity does not require anyone to do anything more earth shattering than being famous.  And whether or not you like it, he was very famous.  From his romping with his father in the Oval Office, to his salute to his deceased father on the steps of the U.S. Capitol, to his barechested touch football games in Central Park, to his founding of George Magazine, and finally to his very death; everything JFK Jr. did made headlines.  Someone once described him as America's child, and I suppose and in some ways that was true.  To his credit, he never seemed to seek the limelight, but in everything he did, the limelight sought him out.  In a world where most second-generation celebrities seem to make headlines for drunken driving or drug arrests, it was rather refreshing to see someone make headlines by failing the New York Bar Exam.

Personally, I can remember where I was when I first heard that Marilyn Monroe died, Sal Mineo was murdered, George Reeves (Superman) committed suicide and Sharon Tate and friends were brutally slaughtered.  If I were a few years older, I would probably remember where I was when I heard that James Dean had died.  This does not mean that I consider any of those people to have had a life even one-tenth as important as President Kennedy, or that their deaths should be mentioned in the same breath as the events of 9/11.  I don’t know if the problem stems from 24-hour news channels or why it is that we, in this day and age of terrorism and war, still obsess on what Jennifer Aniston wears to the premiere of TROY, but I doubt that deep-down we are any different than any other generation.  The “celebrities” who perished on the Titanic were famous, for the most part, because they were rich, but in the world of 1912 that was enough reason for thousands to weep at their loss, while forgetting the countless others who also died that night in the North Atlantic.  Many people in that age knew absolutely nothing about the life and career of John Jacob Astor, but they mourned his death just the same – because he was an Astor.  I don't think that is much different than some of us rememberring where we were when we first heard that John John had died.

Sorry,  I guess I am rambling.  I just don’t think that the people at this site are any different than the rest of the world (except that we are vastly more intelligent, better looking, and are far more talented).

Sorry, BK, I should have made every sentence a separate post.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 10:01:24 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2004, 10:04:09 PM »

WUSSBURGERS of the world, unite.  I'm so logie from the pasta I can't even see s
                                         t
                                            r
                                                a
                                                 i
                                                   g
                                                        h
                                                               t.

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2004, 10:05:09 PM »

Very well said TCB!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2004, 10:08:45 PM »

Hear hear, TCB

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2004, 10:11:56 PM »

Being one of those who wasn't yet born when Kennedy was shot..

9/11 - I had just gotten out of the shower, getting ready for geology class...we had a field tirp to a cemetery that day, I remember thinking that ironic.  My mother called me and told me to drop what I was doing and turn on the TV, that i was about to see history in the making.  I tuned in right before the second plane it, and I watched it happen.  Surreal, that's what I remember it being.

Diana - My friend Althea told me...we were at the county fair one night, and she had heard it on the radio in the fair office.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2004, 10:15:20 PM »

Honestly don't remember what i was doing when I heard about Kennedy Jr.  I remember seeing the newspapers with the headlines about it...but that was well after the event itself

Panni

« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2004, 10:23:25 PM »

Let's hear something cheerful! Like the first time you ate marzipan. Yummy.

Jason

« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2004, 10:25:14 PM »

Shakalaka, TCB! Well said.

It's getting late-ish and I should be in bed right now--especially considering I overslept this morning. It's raining again in NYC and is suppose to storm again tomorrow night... BLEH!

Goodnight, all...sweet dreams. And let's have a perkier topic of the day tomorrow!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2004, 10:29:36 PM »

Let's hear something cheerful! Like the first time you ate marzipan. Yummy.

I hate marzipan!

“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2004, 10:47:24 PM »

Indeed well said TCB. But I'll vote for marzipan.
It does depend on our age at the time we hear of the deaths of the famous. I felt nothing when Princess Di died. Then I felt for her sons.
The deaths of Presley and Lennon were the deaths of the links to childhood. Buddy Holly's death was the first "Famous" death that I really aware of - James Dean was no-one to me. (until later!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2004, 10:48:41 PM »

Hate to bring the mood down even more, but I've never had marzipan!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2004, 10:52:00 PM »

I've been out shopping. "Priscilla", "Blue Velvet" and "The Inspector General" came home with me. An odd threesome!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2004, 10:52:09 PM »

I give up! Is there ANYTHING that isn't bad for you! :P

Uhh...there's always HHW! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2004, 10:52:38 PM »

I think Marzipan was one of the strippers in "Gypsy"
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2004, 10:54:43 PM »

Hate to bring the mood down even more, but I've never had marzipan!

I think opinions for and against marzipan have been discussed...ad nausium (if you'll pardon the pun), since some people here at HHW do not like it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2004, 10:59:23 PM »

I must be off to beddie-by-land.  At 8:00 a.m., I have a meeting to go to and I usually don't even wake up until 8:00 a.m.!  It's to see a demonstration for a potential new computer system for our library.  I hate it when we have to TOTALLY change the computer system.  It takes much, much, much (that's three muches) time to learn it and get back up to the speed of the old system.  Good night all!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 11:00:00 PM by George »

Panni

« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2004, 11:06:33 PM »

I think opinions for and against marzipan have been discussed...ad nausium (if you'll pardon the pun), since some people here at HHW do not like it.

Some people ain't me! (a Gypsy reference)

And some people are so WRONG. Because marzipan is better than anything (except may Wiener Schnitzel).

Jed

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2004, 11:17:33 PM »

I must be off to beddie-by-land.  At 8:00 a.m., I have a meeting to go to and I usually don't even wake up until 8:00 a.m.!  It's to see a demonstration for a potential new computer system for our library.  I hate it when we have to TOTALLY change the computer system.  It takes much, much, much (that's three muches) time to learn it and get back up to the speed of the old system.  Good night all!

Alright, my former-library-employee nerdiness has to ask...  What system are you currently running, and which is it you may change to?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2004, 11:20:24 PM »

I still am a Republican.  Worst day of my life was August 17th, 1990, my birthday as it happens.  Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson decided to hijack the party that night at the Republican Convention, declaring a "culture war."  

Are you sure about the year, young lad?  That wasn't, how you say, a Presidential election year.

Howsomever, what I recall vividly about that convention was that the "Theme Song" of the convention--perhaps influenced by "Hello Lyndon" in 1964--was "The Best of Times".  And I wondered if Jerry Herman was having a fit hearing his song played over and over, interspersed with virulent gay-bashing rhetoric.  Did the organizers of the Convention even know the origin of the song and the irony therein?

As to our DRs Swoody and Der B. being well-known in these parts as active Republicans, all I can say is more power to you in winning back your Party from the forces of darkness.  Gee, I remember when the Republican Party stood for fiscal responsibility...

9/11:  I thought I had posted at length on this site at the time, checked the archives, and learned that haineshisway was but a gleam in the eye of BK then.
How time do fly.

I was at work early, as is my wont, and Joe called me because his sister had called and told him to put on the TV.  I soon found one of the other professors had a set in his office, and the building was all abuzz.  I told Joe I would have to stay till 10:45 to tell my students class was canceled.

A student knocked on my office door and asked very shyly if I would mind awfully much if she didn't come to class that day--her mother worked in the WTC.  I just told her to be careful getting home and said a prayer.  The rest of the week, I kept scanning the lists of the missing on the Internet for her mother's name.  Fortunately, she got out in time.

My friend Debby was frantic, because her brother had an appointment at the WTC at 9 that morning, and it wasn't until a couple of days later that she managed to talk to him in the city and learn he had overslept for his appointment.

My Joe's sister Barbara worked a couple of blocks away from the towers, and we didn't learn she was okay for a couple of nail-biting days.

I stayed around the office until I was sure the art teacher, who lived in the Village with his wife and infant daughter, had a place to stay on the Island--another faculty member from the city who had a summer home out here.

Then I got on the side roads to drive home, not trusting people's driving on the Parkway.

I think Joe and I just hugged and thanked G*d for each other through the weekend.  I do remember having panic feelings every time I heard a plane fly over for weeks after that.

And exactly two weeks to the day later, the MacBeths were banigng on our door threatening our lives, and Joe panicked and foolishly went outside with his father's shotgun, and...  but that's another story.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2004, 11:53:18 PM »

Some people ain't me! (a Gypsy reference)

And some people are so WRONG. Because marzipan is better than anything (except may Wiener Schnitzel).

Wasn't he Col. Klink on HOGAN'S HEROES?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2004, 11:55:24 PM »

No more wire marzipan ever.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up