Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACK-AND-WHITE  (Read 10765 times)

Laura

Re: BLACK-AND-WHITE
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »

So who was watering the plants?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

KevinH

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »

Watching the poor residents of Minot, ND on the news. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

I do not think so

DR vixmom, the vixter looks gorgeous in those photos! You and vixdad did good.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »

Going to see Silence the Musical, with Mr. Barrett, at 10:30 pm tomorrow (I know: late!  I hope I can take a nap on the bus).   And I was thinking of seeing Celebrity Autobiography beforehand.  Any New Yorkers like to join me for either or both shows?

DR KevinH, I would love to join you for SILENCE, but my schedule is crazy this weekend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »

I thought that was at a different house.

KevinH

« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

Going to see Silence the Musical, with Mr. Barrett, at 10:30 pm tomorrow (I know: late!  I hope I can take a nap on the bus).   And I was thinking of seeing Celebrity Autobiography beforehand.  Any New Yorkers like to join me for either or both shows?

DR KevinH, I would love to join you for SILENCE, but my schedule is crazy this weekend.

Maybe next time, DR elmore!

Laura

« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »

I thought he said the whole clip was filmed at his house.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

Shelly's letter was printed in the Banner Graphic.

http://www.bannergraphic.com/story/1739054.html
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

Very good letter.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

Probably the last television series broadcast in b/w and never filmed for another season in color - was Combat which was canceled at the end of the ABC 66-67 season when all other b/w shows (The Patty Duke Show, The Addams Family, Honey West, Amos Burke-Secret Agent) had been canceled the season before.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »

Very good letter.

Yes....although it really skirts the issue that I said exactly the same dialog onstage that Paul Ford says in the movie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? is on TCM in fifteen minutes.

I first saw it as a wee tyke when it was broadcast on Frances Farmer Presents.....

Jane

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

I thought he said the whole clip was filmed at his house.

I'll have to watch it again.

The woman is Travis County Extension Agent for Horticulture Daphne Richards.  The stone she is standing in front of appears to be different than the stone at DR Druxy's house. 

Laura

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

I asked if it was the watering expert who was watering, and he said no.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »

George, the difference between the two editions is that the first is not anamorphically enhanced.  Therefore the 1.85:1 image plays out in a "window box", i.e., there are black bars on all four sides.  The anamorphically enhanced version will take up the full screen size on your 16x9 television, hence it's listed as 1.78:1, though the film's OAR is 1.85:1, so you'll be missing just a tiny smidge of image (nothing to get concerned about--typically even 1.85:1 Blu-rays are overscanned to play at 1.78:1).

Widescreen TVs are 1.78.  If a transfer is done at 1.85 you will see ever so slight black bars at the top and bottom of the image, usually covered by the TVs overscan.  If you were seeing a transfer truly done at 1.78 of a 1.85 film, you would see additional information at the top and bottom of the image - this is precisely what we're going through now, since today I made the decision to do 1.78 for Nudie Musical instead of 1.85 (the way it was shown in theaters).  I find the slight breathing room, especially at the top of the frame is a little nicer on TV.  Also, when a shot comes up with TOO much headroom we just slightly reframe it up.  The reason I decided to do this is because when dealing with a negative rather than a print for transferring, you're seeing additional side information on both sides of the image - this side slight extra but pleasing side info goes away on the print because of the soundtrack area - negatives are silent and the full image is exposed.  Grain lovers should be happy with this transfer - some scenes exhibit more grain than others, mostly due to the way the scene is lit.  I could clean up some of it, but then it wouldn't really look like what we shot and I don't really want to do DNR or edge enhancement or anything like that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »

We had two more pledges today - very small, but every little bit helps :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »

We ran reel one of what we'd done the other day and it looked great.  Then we mushed on to reel two and that took most of the day, but we had enough time left to do half of reel three, so we're now halfway done.  We spent quite a bit of time on The Lights and the Smiles and I have to say that number now looks better than it ever has on any print.  When we did the timed answer print, the technology simply wasn't there to correct milky optical shots or shots where lighting was a problem.  We went shot by shot and boy does it look great.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »

Then I picked up one little package and no important envelope, which will hopefully be here tomorrow.  At the lab, I ate one small bagel with nothing on it - I was just really hungry and I didn't want to go until nine o'clock until I ate something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

In about ninety minutes I'll head over to the rehearsal space.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »

Well, I'm leaving.  My friend Margo and I are going to see Summer in the Sixties: a harlequin original musical celebration (you can check out a 2-minute video clip).  It should be lot of fun!  We're going out to dinner first, and then to the theater!

Until later. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »

I asked if it was the watering expert who was watering, and he said no.

I know ;D

It will be interesting what DR Druxy has to say when he returns. :)

Jane

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

Even my physical therapist was amazed at the amount of bruising I have.  No wonder I am fascinated by it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

BK, what you said is almost exactly what I said, though one thing you said confuses me, perhaps I simply am misunderstanding.  I routinely take 1:1 screencaps in discs encoded at 1.85:1 which are overscanned to 1.78:1 when seen on a 16x9 HDTV.  There is not more image, there is slightly less in the 1.78:1 "as seen on tv" version.  While you're correct to say a disc mastered at 1.78:1 from a 1.85:1 source would have slightly more image, overscanned 1.85:1 transfers are missing just a sliver of their image, which is demonstrable just by looking at 1.85:1 screencaps vs. the 1.78:1 overscans.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:43:27 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

You can't change the people's minds so that you can start to make black and white films; you have to make quality black and white films so that you can change people's minds.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »

Welcome fourteen GUESTS.  Have you all done your Kickstarter pledges?  If not, do so posthaste.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/679271860/the-first-nudie-musical-film-restoration-project

Damn, I wish I could pledge $500, so that I could be listed on the blu-ray as an Executive Producer, but sadly, I will probably have to settle for a smaller pledge.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »

BK, what you said is almost exactly what I said, though one thing you said confuses me, perhaps I simply am misunderstanding.  I routinely take 1:1 screencaps in discs encoded at 1.85:1 which are overscanned to 1.78:1 when seen on a 16x9 HDTV.  There is not more image, there is slightly less in the 1.78:1 "as seen on tv" version.  While you're correct to say a disc mastered at 1.78:1 from a 1.85:1 source would have slightly more image, overscanned 1.85:1 transfers are missing just a sliver of their image, which is demonstrable just by looking at 1.85:1 screencaps vs. the 1.78:1 overscans.

I'm getting a headache just reading this.  My only point was that you will see slightly more image in a 1.78 transfer of a 1.85 movie.  Overscan is overscan.  So, all I know is that the Nudie transfer contains slightly more information on all four sides - the extra side info is one of the reasons for finally deciding on 1.78 as that ratio balances out the film better, what with that slight extra side info.  One thing I'm loving about doing this transfer is how accurate the color is.  Nudie never really had colors that pop, but since even the best print has faded at least thirty to forty percent, we haven't seen correct color since the film's initial release. Compared to what we're doing here, the DVD is all brown - we thought it was pretty good back in 2002, but it's not a patch on the ASS of what we're able to achieve now.  In the scene where I do my crazy dance you can actually see that my sweater is GREEN.  Fleshtones are accurate and the sequences against blue and yellow are really nice with a whole variety of colorful costumes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

Welcome fourteen GUESTS.  Have you all done your Kickstarter pledges?  If not, do so posthaste.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/679271860/the-first-nudie-musical-film-restoration-project

Damn, I wish I could pledge $500, so that I could be listed on the blu-ray as an Executive Producer, but sadly, I will probably have to settle for a smaller pledge.

Only do what is comfortable - and if that's zero there is no problem.  But here's what's amusing to me always: I know several extremely wealthy people - one of them, a well-known TV person (not actor) routinely throws money at certain theater companies and in return he gets to be a director there.  This fellow has millions upon millions of dollars.  I've never asked him for spit.  But he got this e-mail and so did the man who ran National Lampoon for many years, also a multi-millionaire - do you think either one of them pledged one dollar.  No.  Which I find reprehensible, actually, since a) they can, and b) I've done many favors for the latter, and have always been very supportive of the former.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »

Good morning, all! I have a date with my dentist at 10:45, and I'm debating which trip to make in conjunction with it: Toyland or the pharmacy? I have to make both stops today, Toyland to look for a book that may still be sitting on one of the shelves and the pharmacy for prescription refills. I can do one on te way to the clinic and one after, but I haven't decided the order yet.

Your unending madcap adventures, dazzle the mind!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »

Do you guys use HREF tags to make your links here have whatever title you want displayed?

??? ??? ???
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »

Good Evening!

Day Four of rehearsals for Oklahoma! - The ReBoot went well. Some more of our returning cast joined us today, and one more on Sunday - with the everyone else back on Tuesday.

And we move into the theater tomorrow! :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up