Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LET 'EM EAT CAKE  (Read 9111 times)

Ben

Re: LET 'EM EAT CAKE
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »

A Sister Dance!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »

Good morning.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:48 AM »

That's it for now.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »

I quite enjoyed KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY, although, like THE FIREBRAND OF FLORENCE, we get a condensed recording of a show that will most likely never get a complete recording. So, we get a cut song, "Bachelor's Song," nicely sung by Chris Fitzgerald, whom I adore, but we lose the two instrumental dances, the Dutch Dance and the Indian attack, a swing number titled "The Algonquins from Harlem."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 07:02:03 AM »

I like cake.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »

Who is stopping Em from eating cake?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 07:09:22 AM »

I slept in this morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »

ASK BK DAY

1) Any plans for another commentary track about the restoration?

2) Any plans for a bonus feature showing a before and after comparison?

3) Also didn't you also a have complete version of "Kick You With My Boots On" even though it's on video?

I think three commentary tracks are enough - what I may do, however, is a short new video introduction where I talk a little about the restoration.  We may do a before and after if I can figure out exactly who puts stuff like that together.  At $400 an hour, I can't do it in the telecine room.

Kick You With Boots is an audio only extra - the scene itself is long gone and doesn't exist anywhere.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:52 AM »

I'm up and shortly I shall be at the lab.  It's very gray out, but hopefully that will burn off enough for me to do a nice jog later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »

I dreamed that I fit into a pair of shorts I haven't fit into for over a year.  The reality, however, is not quite that yet.

Laura

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »

Woo hoo! Dew point of 57!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »

Marie Antoinette?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:35 AM »

I'm listening to CATCH ME IF YOU CAN now, and I really lke it. The score is more of a "rat pack" and Bobby Darin view of the 1960s than HAIRSPRAY's teen bubblegum music approach, and that's a rash generalization of which I'm fully aware, since I think HAIRSPRAY is better than a lot of the 1960s teen bubblegum music. There are a couple of numbers in CATCH ME IF YOU CAN where I swear Norbert Leo Butz is channelng Sinatra, and Larry Blank's wonderful charts with Marc Shaiman are very Nelson Riddle-ish. I really want to see the show.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:47:31 AM by elmore3003 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 07:36:09 AM »

Marie Antoinette?

"I cain't stand Em!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »

Last night while I was eating dinner, the doorbell rang.  I opened the front door and there were two cute young Mormons.  They looked so much like the Elders in BOOK OF MORMON that I broke out into a smile (I was also tempted to start singing HELLO to them.)  Of course, the lead guy began going into the spiel but I broke him off and sent them on their way, mostly because I didn't want my dinner to get cold.  I felt a little bad about being such a brick wall to them, but it would have been awkward to have invited them in, especially with my own copy of the published BOOK OF MORMON script sitting on my coffee table.

Growing up in SLC I can tell you nightly visits from missionaries were a regular thing.  I still remember one night when I was probably 4 or 5 and we had all sat down for dinner and like clockwork the doorbell rang and it was two young Mormon men trying to get us to see the light.  My mother was no shrinking violet and she had had enough by this time.  She went out on the porch and basically just ripped both of them a new one, asking them how'd they'd feel if she showed up at their homes every night at dinner and tried to get them to be Methodists.  ;)  She asked for their Bishop's name, got it, called the Bishop and ripped him a new one, and I believe at that home at least we never had another interruption from missionaries.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:21 AM »

I don't think we've ever had Mormon missionaries here. Jehovah's Witnesses, yes. One time on Christmas morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »

I came home from college one weekend, probably around 1971, and on Sunday afternoon two Mormon missionaries showed up for dinner. They had been in our neighborhood making calls and my mother, out of loneliness or her general dementia - I'll never know - invited them in, found she liked the fact that they listened to her, and invited them to Sunday dinner. So, for around six years, every weekend, we had Mormon missionaries as dinner guests on Sunday. When one group went back to Salt Lake City, new ones would come to visit and the tradition continued. I guess in their housing, there was a sign "3003 Goldman Avenue, crazy woman, good for Sunday dinner."

Then, one Sunday around 1977, I realized I hadn't seen any Mormons coming and going from the house, so I asked my mother about the situation. Her comment: I didin't like the last group, so I never invited them back.

That was the end of the Mormons.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »

I dreamed that I fit into a pair of shorts I haven't fit into for over a year.  The reality, however, is not quite that yet.

Dream-O-Matic 6000 says this is one of the BEST kind of wish fulfillment dreams - you MAKE it come true - and the fact that you are wearing a pair of shorts instead of long trousers indicates a return to youthful vitality and happy time of life.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »

My last year in college I had a super-groovy apartment on Second Avenue a stone's throw from the Mormon Church Office Building and it was a regular afternoon event to see scads of missionaries in training walking across North Temple to the parking lot.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »

In conjunction with some of today's posts - and my reading of THE TERROR:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:11:46 AM by Jrand60 »

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

I don't know which church the people who would come to my door (when I lived in my house) were from, but often they would have very young children with them...perhaps they felt that they were less likely to be yelled at it kids were around.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY is a supposition.

Do you think your career would have taken a different turn had the Whipple, Jr, Charmin campaign continued as originally planned?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »

I don't know which church the people who would come to my door (when I lived in my house) were from, but often they would have very young children with them...perhaps they felt that they were less likely to be yelled at it kids were around.

Or groped.

JMK

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »

Kathleen Madigan does a very funny bit about touring Temple Square with another agog Catholic.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »

I don't think we've ever had Mormon missionaries here. Jehovah's Witnesses, yes. One time on Christmas morning.

"On Christmas Day, On Christmas Day in the morning...!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

Last night while I was eating dinner, the doorbell rang.  I opened the front door and there were two cute young Mormons.  They looked so much like the Elders in BOOK OF MORMON that I broke out into a smile (I was also tempted to start singing HELLO to them.)  Of course, the lead guy began going into the spiel but I broke him off and sent them on their way, mostly because I didn't want my dinner to get cold.  I felt a little bad about being such a brick wall to them, but it would have been awkward to have invited them in, especially with my own copy of the published BOOK OF MORMON script sitting on my coffee table.

Growing up in SLC I can tell you nightly visits from missionaries were a regular thing.  I still remember one night when I was probably 4 or 5 and we had all sat down for dinner and like clockwork the doorbell rang and it was two young Mormon men trying to get us to see the light.  My mother was no shrinking violet and she had had enough by this time.  She went out on the porch and basically just ripped both of them a new one, asking them how'd they'd feel if she showed up at their homes every night at dinner and tried to get them to be Methodists.  ;)  She asked for their Bishop's name, got it, called the Bishop and ripped him a new one, and I believe at that home at least we never had another interruption from missionaries.  :)

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

Here's an article about the restoration of Arena Stage  http://www.preservationnation.org/magazine/2011/july-august/restaging-arena.html

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

The day after the Tony's I was on my way to work and saw three mormon boys with the outfit on walking down the street.  For a moment I thought they may burst into song

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »

When I was little my mom taught me that when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door, you hide and don't answer it  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up