Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND  (Read 22291 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2004, 09:31:14 AM »

And speaking of Universal films which should be out on DVD, my most wanted of their sci-fi/horror films is The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Good choice! Another Universal that I would like to see out is THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE and I'VE LIVED BEFORE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2004, 09:37:31 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I did get some sleep... At least a good four hour's worth... Then everyone started calling me.  Well, not everyone - just four people, but they were all in a row - and on both my cell and my land line.  Thankfully, they all called consecutively so I didn't have to juggle the different phones, but it was one of those cases where as soon as I finished with one call, someone else was dialing in.  And they all called after 11:00 - they know me so well.  :)  And now...

Just waiting for Steve to arrive from Richmond, he's driving up.  He got a little bit of a late start this morning - which is fine with me since it gave me an extra hour to "rest"...

-Oops... sounds like someone just dropped a bunch of stuff in the hallway by the elevator...  -To look or not to look.. Hmm... I think "not".  But I digress..

So, once Steve gets here, we'll grab lunch and do some shopping.. then dinner and show.. then dessert!!  Real dessert, not figurative dessert, TCB! ;)

Well, I need to tidy up some around here...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2004, 09:37:32 AM »

New Juliana's Journal entry is up with more photos from opening night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2004, 09:37:48 AM »

I have really strong memories of seeing "The Incredible Shrinking Man" the first time it came out.

I had spent the day with my parents at Clark Hill Reservoir (now called Lake Thurmond, for some odd reason) in South Carolina.  I was eight years old.  When we got home, my mother asked me if I'd like to go to a "show" (which is what we called the movies then).  I remember that I was tired, and that I developed a headache while watching the movie, but I was so riveted by the story and this man who was shrinking and finding danger at every turn that I stayed awake and alert for the whole film.

I recorded it off AMC 10 years ago and I play it every now and again for a huge dose of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 09:40:17 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2004, 09:38:10 AM »

Well, that is terrible about THE CREATURE.... but I have to say that I enjoy the musical numbers....I Want to Eat Your Face and Bachelor Bills make me laugh!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2004, 09:39:37 AM »

Does anyone still wear          a hat?
Now that you ask, no, I don't.

I used to wear ballcaps all the time.  Since I changed to a flat-top haircut, however, wearing a hat hasn't seemed necessary.  I don't think I even own a ballcap these days; they all got tossed with the rest of the junk in moving.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2004, 09:41:23 AM »

Original Kashi "Just Friends" Cereal. You happy now? (Earlier I'd had some not so esoteric dry Cheerios. ....Can cereal be esoteric? Sure. Why not?)

After eating a half box of kashi, you might need to have a lot of reading material handy in the bathroom.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2004, 09:41:28 AM »

Now that you ask, no, I don't.

I used to wear ballcaps all the time.  Since I changed to a flat-top haircut, however, wearing a hat hasn't seemed necessary.  I don't think I even own a ballcap these days; they all got tossed with the rest of the junk in moving.

Hmmm...you might reconsider those ball caps.  If you're wearing a flat-top haircut all the time, you really should protect your scalp if you spend any time out in the sun.  

Lecture over.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2004, 09:45:01 AM »

Happy Birthday Arnold M. Brockman, who has been with us for quite some time!

There's something about this star that looks like it's had a face-lift.

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »

Hmmm...you might reconsider those ball caps.  If you're wearing a flat-top haircut all the time, you really should protect your scalp if you spend any time out in the sun.  

Lecture over.
I'm not too worried.  I've got a pretty thick head.

Let me rephrase.  I've got a very thick head of hair.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »

And while we are on the subject of DVD entertainment I have heard rumors that in October Universal will be releasing DVD sets of the old Mummy films, the Invisible Man films and the Black Lagoon Creature films! Hurray and about time I say!! Of course it is still just a rumor
Which should synchronize nicely with a relase of Van Whopsing on DVD, if my guess is right.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2004, 09:50:56 AM »

Not every movie theatre in NY is $10.50 yet.  Some are still $9.00.  What upsets me is that the price is the same regardless of the time of day.  The AMC on 42nd Street where DR Jason is going is the only AMC in the country with no low-priced "twilight" shows and no bargain matinees.  When the DVD of most new films comes out you can buy it for less than the cost of 2 tickets to see it in a theatre and your snacks are less than  half the cost of the same food in a theatre.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2004, 09:52:46 AM »

CD:  Annette Sings Golden Surfin' Hits....I love it when she sings: "And if my woody breaks down on me somewhere on my surf route, I'll strap my board to my back and hitch a ride in my wet suit!"  Whew...
Hey, I admit to bouts of depression sometimes, but I rarely break into tears.  She must be talking about some other Woody.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2004, 09:55:05 AM »

The Media Report of Me:

CD Player (at home):  Bounce cast recording (I'm re-evaluating it.)

CD Player (at work):  Ella and Louis Armstrong's Porgy & Bess

DVD Player:  Northern Exposure First Season set.  At first I was not happy about this set at all.  First, NE's first season consists of only eight episodes.  Second, Universal did this on the cheap because it double sided the disks--all eight episodes and their extras are on just two disks.  Third, the first disk is mis-labeled, so I started playing episode three before watching the first and second ones.  Finally, there is a preview of other Universal boxed sets on Disk 1, Side 1 (or, I should say, Disk 1 Side 2)  that you can't skip--you can only fast forward through it!

But!  But! But--all these misgivings were thrown out the window once I actually started watching the episodes.  They are absolutely, fantastagorically gorgeous!  When NE originally aired, I still had a twenty year old 19" Goldstar color TV, so I never fully appreciated the beautiful cinematography this show employed.  And the color!  The color is so amazingly vivid that it pops from the screen and yet it never looks artificial.  On the basis of visuals alone I would highly recommend this set.

But wait!   There's more!  There's the show, itself, which is wonderfully written and directed.  The cast is terrific, particularly Rob Morrow Barry Corbin in the early episodes I've watched so far.  

NE was a favorite of mine during the 90s and one of the few shows I went out of my way not to miss each week.  Even when it went formulaic in the third or fourth season (three storylines each episode, the "Will they or won't they" thing between Joel and Maggie), the overall quality never wavered.  It wasn't until the final season when Morrow and the original creative team left did it hit the skids.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 09:57:32 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2004, 09:58:52 AM »

I'll catch up later.  We've got tons of errands to take care of.  (And this is my one day off!)

Jason

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2004, 10:03:24 AM »

"...snacks are less than  half the cost of the same food in a theatre."

Which is exactly why I'm taking my own snacks. I know you're not supposed to do that, but let's be honest here...I've been in movie theatres in New York where the person next to me has had a full fried chicken meal complete with cheesecake for dessert! When I saw VAN HELSING, I went around dinner time and I was starving, so I got their hot dog/nachos/soda "value" meal. With tax it came to $9.50... Granted, I asked for extra cheese for the nachos and that was an extra $1.25, so that was my fault, but please! $10 for what are essentially snacks? A hot dog and stale nachos do not a meal make! It's ridiculous, but I really can't bitch and moan all that much...it's my choice whether I should buy these things or not, and I usually choose to spend the money, so...that's the end of my rant.

Thank you for being a friend...
Travelled down that road and back again...
You heart is true,
You're a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
And invited everyone you knew...
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say,
"Thank you for being a friend."

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2004, 10:07:30 AM »

Ticket prices here are not too bad.  Although Friday/Saturday nights are still expensive ($9 or $10 or whatever).  But we have $5 tuesdays and Wednesdays. And we have weekend matinee prices (which are i think around $6 Cdn).  Plus we have lots of coupon books with discounted tickets.  Compared to NYC this sounds great!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2004, 10:10:04 AM »

RE Kashi - It wasn't actually half a box - just seemed like it - so, not to worry, Dan the Man. Also, in looking at my post I realize that I gave the Hollywood version of the name of the cereal. It's "Good Friends" not "Just Friends."

Let me go on record as saying I do NOT like long weekends.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2004, 10:10:44 AM »

I agree Jason. I often take my own snacks to the theater and bottled water. I just don't think I can pay $2.75 for a 99 cent bottle of water. I have never had them tell me I couldn't bring the water in, or the snacks for that matter.

Panni

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2004, 10:12:24 AM »

Stop it, Jason, the real spawm of the red guy! I know nasty people in your fair city who could hurt you. One phone call, Jason. One little call and it's kneecap city, man.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2004, 10:18:38 AM »

More great Opening Night pics! My fave is bk getting ready to set the dance floor ablaze. The look is priceless. (Okay, $3.50.)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2004, 10:21:02 AM »

Thank you for being a friend...
Travelled down that road and back again...
You heart is true,
You're a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
And invited everyone you knew...
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say,
"Thank you for being a friend."

Ahh, Golden Girls...one of my guilty pleasures.

Good morning everyone!  I've been at work for a whole two hours now.  Normally I don't go to work until 12, but today I'm working a full day, so I actually had to drag myself out of bed at some ungodly hour like 7 am.  

Last night I saw Urinetown at the Paramount in Seattle.  I simply adored it.  I'll agree that it's probably a more powerful experience in a smaller venue, but I found it to be extremely enjoyable nonetheless.  Jeff McCarthy and Meghan Strange stole the show, no question about it.  The rest of the cast was strong as well, although the Bobby Strong (blanking on the name) left me a little flat.  He was cute to look at, though ;)
The main problem with is was that they apparently were afraid that the sound would be lost in the big room, so EVERYONE had their mics cranked up within an inch of their lives.  As a result, many of the chorus numbers were completely unintelligible.  This bugged me somewhat.  Especially some of the leads...they really didn't need that extra sound, their voices could have carried well with just a small bit of backup.  

One funny note, I overheard two obviously "non-theater" type people discussing the show during intermission.  "It's a good show, so far" said one woman to her friend "But I don't get some of these jokes!  Why is saying it's the Act One Finale so funny?"  and so on like that...it was pretty amusing to me.

So when I got there, the theater was no where near full.  I'd bought a cheap seat waaaay in the back...and looking around I saw that the front balcony was more than half empty.  So I hung around until right before the lights went down and gave myself a seat upgrade.  Does anyone else do that?  Does anyone think me a terrible person for doing this?  Just curious :)

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2004, 10:21:17 AM »

The scene with the spider in INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN always gives me the creeps!

Which reminds me...SWW and DerBrucer did you guys watch ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE yet? And if so what did you think of it (If I remember correct you two just bought the DVD...or am I thinking of someone else?)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2004, 10:25:11 AM »

A funny story about theater food.  Once I was going to a movie with two friends of mine, but we wanted to eat Chinese for dinner first.  Unfortunately they took FOREVER with our order, and we didn't hae time to eat before we had to leave.  So we got the order to go.  Not wanting to waste good food, we emptied out my school bag (college students always have their school bags nearby, of course) filled it with the various boxes of food, and strolled casually into the theater.  I honestly didn't expect to get away with walking in there with this obviously full bag of stuff that smelled of Kung Pao Tofu and Orange Chicken...but they didn't even blink!  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2004, 10:29:59 AM »

Dan (the Man)-LOL.  You wrote what I was tempted to say but didn't.  Keith wouldn't have that problem cause he could easily eat half a box of Kashi. :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2004, 10:32:21 AM »

Dan (the Man):  I, too, loved "Northern Exposure" in the first couple of years.

I was not so enamored of Rob Morrow, though.  I've never believed him to possess much substance as an actor.  He has a schtick and a huge set of pearlies that he has overabused in broad grins throughout his career (there are some movies in his earlier career in which his only acting consists of breaking into huge grins).

When he missed several shows of season 3 (? is that the right season?) when he was holding out for more money, I totally wanted his character to be gone.  The show had so many great -- and better characters -- than "Joel"...and his was probably the most flagrantly stereotypical of them all.  If he had not had Maggie (the glorious Janine Turner) as his main nemesis, he'd not have been interesting at all.

But, yes, I was a HUGE fan of the show.  John Cullum was wonderful, I loved "Ruth Ann" and "Lowell" and "Chris in the Morning" and Joel's native American receptionist, and all the townfolks and their oddities (of which there were many).  Loved the two guys who moved to town to open a B&B and their run-in with Maurice (the ex-astronaut).  Corbin is an actor who was overexposed after "Northern Exposure" much as Wilford Brimley was after "The Natural."  A little of him goes an awfully long way for me.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 10:33:54 AM by RLP »

Jason

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2004, 10:35:09 AM »

DRs Ann & Shakalaka Barnum: People in New York carry bags everywhere they go. We have bags for books, bags for shoes, bags for lunch and bags for our bags. It's easier than easy to stick a couple of chocolate bars and a bottle of soda or, if you're healthy, a bag of dried fruit and a bottle of water, in one of your bags and take it in. I've actually taken Chinese take-out in with me (this was after I sat next to the fried chicken-eater. I figured if THEY didn't get in trouble then I wouldn't.) Nothing like watching a fun movie and having some chicken fried rice.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2004, 10:37:33 AM »

DR Ann: Often if the theatre is empty the management will ask people to move to better seats.  I certainly don't think anyone would find anything wrong with you moving to the front of the balcony.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2004, 10:39:45 AM »

Ann I don’t see anything wrong with upgrading yourself to empty seats.  When we would take our younger son to baseball games, always with one of his good friends, the boys would leave us and scout for better seats.  Sometimes they got lucky.  The fear of being deserted is why I never took them to a game by myself.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2004, 10:42:12 AM »

Jason I carry a large purse to the movies and it is amazing what it can hold.  Sometimes we stop at a lunch place in town and I get a sandwich & cookie.  I have them pack it for convenient hiding in my purse, which they gladly do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up