Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?  (Read 21649 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:HAVE I STAYED TOO LONG AT THE FAIR?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2004, 02:17:55 PM »

Speaking of that LIFE article on the making of CANDY, I thought that movie was pretty awful. I'm sure straight guys must have lusted over the actress playing the title role, but the film offered nothing for me.

Miss Ewa Aulin. She is certainly quite the little Swedish dish in the photos. Wonder whatever happened to her... Marlon Brando actually looks buff and sexy in the pics, too.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »

Dan (the Man) do you mean GETTYSBURG with Martin Sheen?  I thought the movie was almost as good as the book it was based on.  I thought both were wonderful.

Bruce, I was wondering how you got Charles to sit for a photo.  You made a deal he can approve before you post.  The result is a nice picture this time.

Michael

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »

I am back.

Trainwrecks: Teenage Graffitti
and The Hounds of the Baskerville with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook, but I do understand (years later) that the NA distributer mixed up some of the reels which made the film very confusing.

There was movie I saw whose name I no longer remember. It was so bad that I wanted to walk out on it, but the stewardess wouldn't let me.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2004, 02:25:47 PM »

Finally! PAGE THREE!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »

Good afternoon everyone

I'm sure there are some really bad movies I could mention, but at the moment I'm just drawing a blank.  I'll post 'em later if I can.

I had a fun morning.  My friend's boyfriend came over and we watched cartoons and ate breakfast while she was at a job training thing in Seattle.  it was great fun.  Now I'm going to be a good girl and go work out at the gym.  Go me.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2004, 02:29:13 PM »

DRJane, I remember Ramar as well; wasn't he played by John Agar or someone of that ilk?  After you saw REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, did you are your friends run out of the theatre and scream at the horror of it?  We did!  

Dear elmore, Ramar was played by John Hall, not Agar.  John Agar was married to Shirley Temple and disappeared after their divorce.  

LOL-I didn’t run out of the theater screaming but I’m sure Keith heard my reaction to the movie the rest of the night until he wanted to scream. ;D

Panni

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2004, 02:33:30 PM »

The photo essay by Gordon Parks in my newly purchased 1968 LIFE magazine is superb.

Michael

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2004, 02:33:51 PM »

The One and Only Genuine etc etc I saw on my very first trip to NYC and I saw it at the Radio City Musical Hall where you saw a show and a film for the same price. My father tells me that I ran so fast down the aisle in the orchestra that I almost tumbled in the orchestra pit
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2004, 02:34:33 PM »

Oh yes the movie wasn't that good, but it was the first film that Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell did together.
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2004, 02:36:47 PM »

I approved the photo even though my hair is in desperate need of cutting.

Though the fair was boring as far as books go, it was like old home week for people I knew...the wonderful artist William Stout ( who BK also knows); famed film historian Rudy Behlmer (who I introduced to BK...it's ridiculous that these two titans had not yet met before), and then various and sundry book dealers who I've known for years.  I bought nothing;  BK only one slim paperback.

Michael

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2004, 02:37:40 PM »

And how could I forget about Exorcist 2? The worst and the most disappointing film I ever saw. Considering the cast and the director. The stage bound sets, the unintentionally funny dialogue, the bad special effects. I saw it the opening weekend before it was recut by the director. I also saw the french dubbed version which was supposed to be the European version. It was a little better. A lot of the comedy thankfully was cut, but it was a trainwreck still
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2004, 02:39:11 PM »

I also must say that Pasadena (where said book fair was held) is a lovely city...if it weren't for the smog and the earthquakes, I'd lived there.

Worst movie off the top of my head...How about HAMMERSMITH IS OUT...Dick, Liz, and Beau Bridges, I believe.  

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2004, 02:40:05 PM »

Yes, and Goldie is even referred as "the giggling girl" in the credits, if i'm not wrong!

I'm referring to FAMILY BAND!!! :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:42:08 PM by François de Paris »

Jane

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2004, 02:40:34 PM »

I just recalled a movie that was far more upsetting then simply cutting off one’s nipples.  The movie was with Vanessa Redgrave playing a nun.  The movie was horrible, but when she was about to be tortured with a douche of boiling water I couldn’t take it any more.  I walked out to find a lobby full of women.   ;D  Thankfully Keith decided the movie wasn’t worth watching without me because there was no way I was going back in.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2004, 02:41:44 PM »

Jane, John Agar didn't completely disappear...he'd show up at the Ray Court Hollywood Collector Shows with consistent regularity, looking like a living corpse, hooked up to his oxygen tank.  Very sad.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2004, 02:41:52 PM »

Did anyone see "The Time Machine" with Guy Pearce?  I didn't, but I remember the reviews being very non-complimentary towards it.

DRGeorge, I preferred the Rod Taylor-George Pal film, but I had a good time.  I liked the cast and found some of it quite interesting.  OIf the films I've seen in the past two or three years, I don't believe I've seen anything worse than VAN HELSING, a total waste.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2004, 02:42:26 PM »

famed film historian Rudy Behlmer

I sold and donated what seemed like a truckload of film books before I moved back here (ironic) - but kept Behlmer's MEMO FROM: DAVID O. SELZNICK.

Michael

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2004, 02:42:50 PM »

I had to a chance to work with Olivia Hussy on a film that was written by the Pope. Called The Jewelery Shop. (I think) I have never seen it and no longer remember what I did in it. But I had a chance to talk with Olivia and asked her about Lost Horizon. Basically she said that she did it for the money and had no idea how bad it was going to be. She was amazed that all the years later people remember the film even though it was bad. I did ask her about the infamous ring a round a rosey dance with the musical men. She said it was a hoot doing it and perhaps it should have been an omen about the rest of the film.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2004, 02:44:46 PM »

I just recalled a movie that was far more upsetting then simply cutting off one’s nipples.  The movie was with Vanessa Redgrave playing a nun.  The movie was horrible, but when she was about to be tortured with a douche of boiling water I couldn’t take it any more.  I walked out to find a lobby full of women.   ;D  Thankfully Keith decided the movie wasn’t worth watching without me because there was no way I was going back in.

I think that was The Devils.  A ken Russell film the king of excess. I saw it when I was very young 16 years olld i believe. It was restricted to those 18 years and over.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2004, 02:46:25 PM »

Dear elmore, Ramar was played by John Hall, not Agar.  John Agar was married to Shirley Temple and disappeared after their divorce.  

DRJane, it's such a vague memory I'm not surprised I confised the leading man, but I swear my brother Tom and I watched it every week.  I loved Andy Devine's show a lot.  Oh, that Froggy!  Naughty!  And wasn't there a serial set in India on Andy's show?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2004, 02:46:36 PM »

Oh.... another Disney turkey:

BABES IN TOYLAND!

I have great affection for Annette, but here... I'd like to spank her!!
She did NOT work for her pay, I can tell you that!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 02:48:02 PM by François de Paris »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »

And how could I forget about Exorcist 2? The worst and the most disappointing film I ever saw. Considering the cast and the director. The stage bound sets, the unintentionally funny dialogue, the bad special effects. I saw it the opening weekend before it was recut by the director. I also saw the french dubbed version which was supposed to be the European version. It was a little better. A lot of the comedy thankfully was cut, but it was a trainwreck still

There was comedy in EXORCIST 2?  I think I saw it opening night, and they had to empty the theatre and air it because the stench was so bad.  I don't recall a single laugh.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2004, 02:50:01 PM »

DR Francois

I wonder if you ever saw the film version of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in the French dubbed version? I remember seeing it on TV in Montreal and it had all the songs deleted from it. I was wondering it that is how it was shown in France?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2004, 02:53:45 PM »

DRJane, Ken Russell's THE DEVILS based on a wonderful play by John Whiting, author of the wonderful antiwar play PENNY FOR A SONG, and a history by Aldous Huxley of witch hunting around 1635 in Loudon.  Maybe it's because I'm fond of the actual case that I don't mind the film too much, but Ken Russell sure could trash good material.  Excellent design in the film, sets by Derek Jarman and costumes by Shirley Russell, I recall.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2004, 02:54:05 PM »

Charles Pogue, that is sad.  

Michael Shayne, I wish I had been restricted from the movie and obviously many other women agreed with me.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2004, 02:54:11 PM »

elmore, there was a series on Andy's Gang about Gunga Ram the Elephant Boy played by one Nino Marcel...Wasn't the show brought to you by Buster Brown shoes?

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »

DR François. I remember Barry Lyndon as being about 8 hours long! There was some wonderful cinematography though.
DR George: "The Time Machine" was OK for me until the appearance of Jeremy Irons. It really made no sense! I have an affection for the Rod Taylor/Yvette Mimieux film which has more heart.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 03:05:50 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »

There was comedy in EXORCIST 2?  I think I saw it opening night, and they had to empty the theatre and air it because the stench was so bad.  I don't recall a single laugh.

The comedy was not there by design.

Richard Burton and Linda Blair on the bus going to the house in Georgetown. The driver is taking a break and eating. Burton blurts out "get going! The little girl has to get home!"

Or Louise Fletcher screaming for help as the house collaspes, but no one arrives until the house is completly flatten and Burton and Blair walk off into the night hand in hand. And then out of nowhere people, ambulances, police appear.

Burton in Africia goes up to a policeman and as him if he knows the James Earl Jones character. Kokamo?  He saids it several times and each time the audience laughed more. Then he finally said no.

Burton says something about being to a certain place but wasn't really there he flew there on a grasshopper in trance,

There are other examples.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »

elmore, there was a series on Andy's Gang about Gunga Ram the Elephant Boy played by one Nino Marcel...Wasn't the show brought to you by Buster Brown shoes?

Buster Brown and his dog Tige!  I loved Froggy!

Michael

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2004, 03:01:54 PM »

One of the boringest films I ever saw was the first film directed by William Freidkin after the Exorcist. It was called Sorcorer. I remember seeing it because I thought it was another horror film and I stayed on as I hoped that something was going to happen. The marketed it all wrong and most people did know what the film Wages of Fear was which was the film it was based on.

Also Freidkein per his contract has mood music play before the film started which pissed off a lot people and yelled for the film to start. I wonder how long that lasted.

I haven't seen it since it was first in the theater but I wonder if I would appreciate it more now and would not find it boring.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up