Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YORK STORIES  (Read 9392 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NEW YORK STORIES
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Back from a four-mile jog.  I didn't know if I could do it or not - no running shoes with me - but I jogged down to Park Ave. and it was closed to traffic for bikers and joggers, so it was just too easy.  I ran from 46th to 86th and back, eighty blocks, which is four miles.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 08:47:52 AM »

Well, my packing has been interrupted several times by emails from Dublin. The twomost important issues are getting pdfs of the Violin 1 part to the concert mistress and Marcella has requested optional notes so I guess she's not really happy with high D-flats.  I believe we will lose her today and be going with Mary, who's got all of the high notes. I think she'll be missed because i like her voice, but Mary's lighter voice will sound young, and that's all I care about for the recording.

BK, thanks again for a great evening!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »

And thank you,all, for the good wishes and vibes. I believe I will be able to check in regularly from the hotel's business center, so I'm sure to have lots of stories.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »

Well, my packing has been interrupted several times by emails from Dublin. The twomost important issues are getting pdfs of the Violin 1 part to the concert mistress and Marcella has requested optional notes so I guess she's not really happy with high D-flats.  I believe we will lose her today and be going with Mary, who's got all of the high notes. I think she'll be missed because i like her voice, but Mary's lighter voice will sound young, and that's all I care about for the recording.

What's meant by optional notes?   Is she asking to do something other than the composer wrote, or options the composer had given? 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »

Dear Reader Larry Rosler,

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:21:43 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »

From Jose:
A woman almost passed out in the lavatory about 30 minutes after we left Houston. Thankfully, there were three doctors on board, and they helped her out. They also convinced the ground crew and the captain that we did NOT need to turn around and head back to Houston. WHEW!

I'm glad you didn't have to turn around.  I'm curious, how did they know the woman passed out when she was in the bathroom, and how did they get into her?

Jane

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »

DR elmore,

Jane

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »

OK, since Rob has announced this on Facebook, I can tell you that yesterday he received a job offer from EMT, Inc. to be based at their Cincinnati station.  He and Mary Linda are thrilled - also relieved that he doesn't start until after their honeymoon!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »

Fantastic travel vibes to DR elmore (Dublin has no idea what they are getting).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

Warm temperature vibes for DR Ginny's soon to be daughter-in-law's shower!

I would much prefer a bath to a shower, but it will be a while before I can do that.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »

Has anyone heard from DR Matthew?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »

...And I'm back from breakfast...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

Back from a four-mile jog.  I didn't know if I could do it or not - no running shoes with me - but I jogged down to Park Ave. and it was closed to traffic for bikers and joggers, so it was just too easy.  I ran from 46th to 86th and back, eighty blocks, which is four miles.

Oh, that's right! Summer Streets! If you had so desired, you could have ran all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge and back. They close off Park Ave. all the way downtown.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »

We just got off the phone with my brother in-law who said I should join The Golden Age of Hollywood http://goldenageofhollywood.ning.com/

I doubt I will but it looks interesting.  I'm guessing a few DR's already frequent the site.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »

From Jose:
A woman almost passed out in the lavatory about 30 minutes after we left Houston. Thankfully, there were three doctors on board, and they helped her out. They also convinced the ground crew and the captain that we did NOT need to turn around and head back to Houston. WHEW!

I'm glad you didn't have to turn around.  I'm curious, how did they know the woman passed out when she was in the bathroom, and how did they get into her?

From what I could gather - and see since I was seated in the last row of the cabin - the woman went into the lavatory because she was feeling sick. She then signaled to one of the flight attendants that she was not feeling well. That's when she passed out. And that's when the "Is there a doctor on board?" announcement was made.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »

What's meant by optional notes?   Is she asking to do something other than the composer wrote, or options the composer had given? 

Both.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »

Both.

Can you dump her on such short notice?
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »

I am all packed, and around 2:30 I will call for a car to take me to Port Authority.

DR FJL, Marcella clearly isn't happy with the high D-flats, which surprises me since I would expect her to have a solid high C, and she wanted optional choices, several of which are in the published sheet music - but this may be alterations for the popular consumer use of the music - and several of which she was willing to create. I cannot sanction either since I want to present the score as Herbert wrote it. If there were an option in for a lower key from existing notes on the full score, that might have been a possibility but I have no other sources than those I've already used to create the score and parts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »

...And one of the best things about this trip so far has been seeing Alexandra, John Michael, Alyssa and Emily. And the hugs and kisses from Emily. I hadn't seen John, Alyssa nor Emily since I started working on Oklahoma!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

Both.

Can you dump her on such short notice?

We haven't actually signed her yet; I thought we had, but we're all breathing a sigh of relief that this didn't happen after she signed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »

I am all packed, and around 2:30 I will call for a car to take me to Port Authority.

Are you taking the bus to Dublin, DR elmore? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »

And now we're trying to figure out what to do today. I think my brothers will be taking their kids to the beach. I may just go exploring - aka eat Mexican food. And then there's a "meet the parents and grandparents" dinner tonight.

Whatever I end up doing, I need to get ready for it.

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

Are you taking the bus to Dublin, DR elmore? ;)

Yep! After having to pay $70 to check a bag, which to me is total utter bullshit, I'm not paying another $50 or more for a car to Newark.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »

I spoke to a Continental agent and I am all set with the confirmation number and information I needed. I will put a few more things away and call for a car.

I'll stop back to say goodbye shortly.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »

Do you all remember that missing glass? It turned up tday while I was putting things away.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »

Bye, elmore, have a wonderful trip!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

Do you all remember that missing glass? It turned up tday while I was putting things away.

Where was it?
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:16 AM »

Sitting beside a pile of DVDs. I checked that place several tmes when it went missing.

Okay, everyone. Next time I post will be from Dublin tomorrow.

KevinH

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »

Travel vibes for DR elmore!

Kerry

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »

Apparently it's just 19 guests and me here at the moment-- I always insist on traveling with an entourage!
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up