Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 9855 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »

I got up at ten, fell back asleep, then got up at eleven-fifteen.  It's raining, so it's either the gym, waiting out the rain, or no jog.  I really don't like doing the treadmill so we'll see how I'm feeling in a little while.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »

First act of CAMELOT runs 1 hr and 50 minutes.....so I inform people as they are going in of that fact....as I am standing in the lobby...

Of course last night one young teen age girl came out during THE SECOND SCENE looking for the restroom.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »

BK is in the HOUSE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

It is hilarious to read the "thoughts" of the kiddies (and others) on Follies on Broadway World.  I love when teens go to that place they go because they're in drama class or read a book somewhere and they use terms like "his scene work isn't very good" or "she doesn't OWN that moment."  It's so tiresome.  And "the choreography for that number is going to cost her the Tony."  I mean I just have two words for these people: SHUT UP.  And then the complainer about the Lucy and Jessie choreography says that maybe one of the other currently working choreographers could have done better, to which I say, there WAS choreography that was perfect by a man named Michael Bennett.  He knew exactly what to do with that number and how to make Alexis Smith look great, something that eludes the choreographer of this production.  He chooses Jack Cole to emulate and it's a blatantly wrong choice, in fact, it couldn't be a worse choice.  Bennett staged the majority of this number with the ensemble's BACKS to the audience - therefore, the only one you really can look at is Phyllis and therefore the number does exactly what it's supposed to.  But that's genius, not just a choreographer saying, "Ooh, I'll do Jack Cole here."

Some of these posters were there last night and you know they were the ones screaming and yelling and whooping it up and destroying the emotional impact of this very dark show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »

As to intermissions, I just disagree.  If an intermission hurts the show, no intermission.  People sit all the time in movie theaters for that long without having to pee.  It's nuts that people can't sit in a theater anymore for two hours and fifteen minutes without peeing.  I can go five hours without peeing, but if people are seeing a live show, their bladders suddenly do things they don't normally do.  If people are seeing a two hour and forty minute Harry Potter movie, they don't get up and leave - they sit and watch the movie and are fine, despite drinking oversize drinks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »

Forgot to post our new release, so here it is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »

If you'd like to order, it's 19.98 plust 3.75 shipping (23.73) to paypal using our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition soundtrack release, first time on CD:

DIVORCE, ITALIAN STYLE
Music Composed by Carlo Rustichelli

What’s a poor Baron to do?  He’s in love with his sixteen-year-old cousin.  He’s married to a clingy and not so attractive woman with a little moustache.  The laws in Italy in the early 1960s do not allow divorce.  But they don’t look too harshly on murder, if the murder is for family honor – for example, catching your wife with another lover.   That is the germ of Pietro Germi’s brilliant dark comedy, Divorce, Italian Style (Divorzio, all’Italiana).  Mastroianni, with his slicked-back hair, his moustache, his cigarette holder, and his perpetually drooping eyelids gives one of the greatest comedy performances in all of cinema.  Rocca is a wonderful foil, and Sandrelli is luminous and angelic.  Add to that a cast of great Italian character actors, a brilliant screenplay (which won the Academy Award) and you have the recipe for Comedy, Italian Style, one that is as funny and sharp today as it was then. 

The film was a sensation and audiences all over the world were entranced.  It was hugely influential and ushered in a whole era of Comedy, Italian Style, which included Germi’s own Seduced and Abandoned, Marriage, Italian Style, Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow and others.    In addition to winning the Academy Award for Best Screenplay (Ennio de Concini, Alfred Gianetti, and Germi), Mastroianni received a Best Actor nomination and Germi a Best Director nomination, which, considering the competition in 1962, one of the greatest years in film history, was really something.   

Aiding and abetting the mischievous fun was the wonderful score by Carlo Rustichelli.  Rustichelli, born in 1916, had begun working in film in 1939 and by 1962 had become a hugely popular composer for Italian films.   His first film for Pietro Germi was Lost Youth in 1948 and thus began one of the longest and most fruitful director/composer collaborations ever, with Rustichelli composing scores for all but the first of Germi’s films – eighteen in total.  He also worked with other directors such as Billy Wilder, Mario Bava, Gillo Pontecorvo, Luigi Comencini, and provided scores for countless sword and sandal films, spaghetti westerns, crime films, and just about every genre imaginable.  He was a superb melodist, and Divorce, Italian Style is rife with great themes, which all serve the film perfectly.   In fact, the film would be unthinkable without Rustichelli’s wonderful and tuneful score. 

Divorce, Italian Style was released on a United Artists LP.  As was the case with several UA soundtrack albums, there were both mono and stereo releases, but both were actually mono.  For this premiere CD release the original mono album masters were used.  Additionally, we’re pleased to present a suite of additional and alternate cues that were not included on the LP.   

Divorce, Italian Style is a one-of-a-kind classic and so is its score by Carlo Rustichelli. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the last week of September – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »

CD ordered.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  Richard left for Lima at 7am and Mary Linda's mother and grandmother left for Michigan at 10:30.  Mary Linda and Rob and I have been working on the rehearsal dinner guest list.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »

Wedding day vibes for the brother of DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »

Shocking news from Indianapolis - our DN (Dear Niece) Rev. Amy and her family had attended the Indiana State Fair on Friday before coming here for yesterday's bridal shower.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »

Wedding vibes for Jose's family

FJL

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Ginny's at 17500 - that sounds like it should be a milestone, doesn't it?

FJL

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »

Especially since I'm at 17401 :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »

No DR ELMORE we have four more performances next week.

I thought you had a 2-week run, but I guess I'm preoccupied with other things. I hope they go well.

I've had a nice peregrination about the neighborhood on Merrion from Clare to Baggot Streets. The government buildings are quite beautiful and my hotel is about a block from the National Gallery. Tomorrow, depending on what needs to be done, I may take a bus tour of the City.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »

Good afternoon!  It's a little past 1:00 and the last load of laundry is in the dryer, the kitchen is clean and I've run the vacuum through the main floor rooms.  Whew!  I really wanted to get all this done in the morning.  I do need to run to the office for an hour or so and stop at the grocery store. But now when I come home I won't have to do chores.  Sounds good to me

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »

DR Elmore, glad you have safely arrived in Dublin and that you have a nice place to stay while you are there

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »

BK, really enjoyed reading about Follies in the notes.

But I disagree with you re: the intermission.

I personally think that there should always be an intermission for every broadway show. Doesn't matter what the show is to me.

There are plenty of people that can't sit for 2- 3 hours straight. Whether they need to use the washroom. Or stretch their legs. 

I really always appreciate an intermission.

DR Jennifer - Conversely, there are plenty of people who can sit for a long stretch without an intermission and do so gladly, like at the movies and the opera. If one knows that they're about to sit for an extended amount of time, then one can "plan" accordingly. Heck, there are some operas where one act can last almost as long as a full Broadway show. "Ring Cycle" anyone?

And then you have a show like JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT which has currently gotten stretched out to an oveblown 2 hours and 5 minutes - and that includes the intermission! The original "cantata" ran well under an hour. However, adding various dance breaks, a mega-mix bows sequence, plus an intermission used to sell merchandise, has extended the show beyond its original welcome.

I'm sure there are other things and events that you sit for two hours at a time without thought nor complaint.

Many years ago, a friend of mine played Cervantes / Quixote in MAN OF LA MANCHA.  I don't remember the reason, but at one point in the rehearsal process Dale Wasserman came to the theater to meet the cast and talk about the show.  At one point he was asked about the rather controversial (at the time) decision not to have an intermission during the show.  Mr. Wasserman confessed that the main reason for not having an intermission was that he was terrified that nobody would come back for the second act.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »

re: the intermission.

A movie costs $10 so people get up to buy food/use the restroom all the time.

I don't think people spending $100 should have to miss the show.

Most people I know do not use the bathroom every 5 hours. Especially kids or older people.

I actually dislike sitting even in the movie theatres for 2 hours and get to my seat only when the movie is starting. My legs get cramps. I would love to be able to stretch them half way through the movie!

Also, I think the broadway shows need to sell merchandise during intermission.

And speaking of theatre. My niece is currently seeing her first broadway show. She is at The Lion King. I hope she's loving it. She got all dressed up and looked so cute. She was so excited. She's been listening to the cd. But today she told me that she had no idea that the people there were actually going to be singing. She thought they were just going to play the cd!

FJL

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »

And speaking of theatre. My niece is currently seeing her first broadway show. She is at The Lion King. I hope she's loving it. She got all dressed up and looked so cute. She was so excited. She's been listening to the cd. But today she told me that she had no idea that the people there were actually going to be singing. She thought they were just going to play the cd!

That's so sweet, Jennifer!

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »

Every bride needs a cake from Central Pastry:

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »

The radiant couple with the groom's mother.  The person just over my left shoulder is our niece Rev. Amy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm just posting from home--not NY or Dublin or San Diego. But I enjoy hearing about all the travels. Glad all those traveling are now in their respective destinations.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »

Nice pics, Ginny. thanks for posting them.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »

Jose, OF COURSE it's not raining. YOU'RE IN SAN DIEGO!!!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »

Has anyone ever calculated how many times BK has gone to Joe Allen vs how many hours he's spent in NY on a given trip?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »

Dublin vibes, wedding vibes, production vibes.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »

Thanks, DR Jeanne!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »

The radiant couple with the groom's mother.  The person just over my left shoulder is our niece Rev. Amy.

Lovely picture of the bride and groom and the groom's mother, Ginny...and that cake looks fabulous! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »

Thanks, DR George!  Central Pastry makes the best cakes - just ask DR Elmore!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up