Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLLIES  (Read 9788 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: FOLLIES
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »

Hmmm, my Michele Bachmann crazy-eyes sort-of-parody (but with my own song about eyes) is not setting the view count afire, but a pro-Obama site did pick it up, which is nice that anyone at all even found it.

http://obama-2012-campaign-report.info/obama/i-look-into-those-eyes-michele-bachmann-crazy-eyes-controversy-parody/

seems to be an ad on that page, but that ad has nothing to do with me  :)

That's pretty funny, Fred, but then I listened to the song without watching the video and it's quite a lovely song.  Did you write it for some other project?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »

First act of CAMELOT runs 1 hr and 50 minutes.....so I inform people as they are going in of that fact....as I am standing in the lobby...

Of course last night one young teen age girl came out during THE SECOND SCENE looking for the restroom.

I usher for a lot of shows and when we find out that there is no intermission, the people taking tickets are told to tell everyone when they enter that the show has no intermission.  Everyone makes sure that they "take care of business" in time. 

I agree with BK, if the show needs to not have an intermission, it shouldn't have an intermission.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »

CD has been ordered!

George

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »

And now, I'm off to my sister's for a little visit.  After that, I might go to the movies with a couple of friends.  I think we're thinking of "Cowboys and Aliens" (reviews be damned ;)).

Have a good day, all!

FJL

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »

Great photos, Ginny!!!

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Thanks, DR FJL!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »

Hmmm, my Michele Bachmann crazy-eyes sort-of-parody (but with my own song about eyes) is not setting the view count afire, but a pro-Obama site did pick it up, which is nice that anyone at all even found it.

http://obama-2012-campaign-report.info/obama/i-look-into-those-eyes-michele-bachmann-crazy-eyes-controversy-parody/

seems to be an ad on that page, but that ad has nothing to do with me  :)

That's pretty funny, Fred, but then I listened to the song without watching the video and it's quite a lovely song.  Did you write it for some other project?

Thanks so much, George!

It's an edited version of an engagement/wedding song I wrote for a show.  If anyone's interested in the serious full-length version,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcENPH12UU

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:23:52 PM by FJL »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »

Greetings fromn Dublin! This Merrion Hotel is amazing and huge.

:)

Jane

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »

Hello again! After I posted, I went into the hotel's bar, found a very quiet corner and nodded for about two hours. Around 11:30, I was told my room was ready. The room is about the size of my apartment, and the bathroom about half the size. It's quite wonderful.

The rooms at the resort in Lake Arrowhead were nice and roomy.  My niece from NY kept expressing her appreciation for all the space she had.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

BK, really enjoyed reading about Follies in the notes.

But I disagree with you re: the intermission.

I personally think that there should always be an intermission for every broadway show. Doesn't matter what the show is to me.

There are plenty of people that can't sit for 2- 3 hours straight. Whether they need to use the washroom. Or stretch their legs. 

I really always appreciate an intermission.

DR Jennifer - Conversely, there are plenty of people who can sit for a long stretch without an intermission and do so gladly, like at the movies and the opera. If one knows that they're about to sit for an extended amount of time, then one can "plan" accordingly. Heck, there are some operas where one act can last almost as long as a full Broadway show. "Ring Cycle" anyone?

And then you have a show like JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT which has currently gotten stretched out to an oveblown 2 hours and 5 minutes - and that includes the intermission! The original "cantata" ran well under an hour. However, adding various dance breaks, a mega-mix bows sequence, plus an intermission used to sell merchandise, has extended the show beyond its original welcome.

I'm sure there are other things and events that you sit for two hours at a time without thought nor complaint.

Many years ago, a friend of mine played Cervantes / Quixote in MAN OF LA MANCHA.  I don't remember the reason, but at one point in the rehearsal process Dale Wasserman came to the theater to meet the cast and talk about the show.  At one point he was asked about the rather controversial (at the time) decision not to have an intermission during the show.  Mr. Wasserman confessed that the main reason for not having an intermission was that he was terrified that nobody would come back for the second act.

;D

Jane

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »

today she told me that she had no idea that the people there were actually going to be singing. She thought they were just going to play the cd!

That's cute.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »

Thanks, DR George!  Central Pastry makes the best cakes - just ask DR Elmore!

What was this particular cake?

KevinH

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

I enjoyed the song, DR FJL!

KevinH

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

DR elmore--glad to hear you arrived safely and that the hotel is so nice.  As for the bus tour, I can recommend the double decker ones that let you get on and off as you please.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »

As for the intermission discussion.......

At a movie you can return to your seat if you take a bathroom break, what about at a theater?  I think most people, unless it is a severe problem, know to adjust their drinking habits if they have problems.

I don't go to movies or plays anymore if I can help it as my shoulders hurt if I sit too long.  If I'm lucky I will make it to one play this season.

Still, I wouldn't want a play interrupted with an intermission if it broke the spell of the play.  I would want to know prior to purchasing the ticket if there won't be an intermission & what the running time is.  What is the average length of time prior to the intermission?

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »

DR Jane - the cake was chocolate.  One of our favorites from Central Pastry is their orange chiffon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »

First act of CAMELOT runs 1 hr and 50 minutes.....so I inform people as they are going in of that fact....as I am standing in the lobby...

Of course last night one young teen age girl came out during THE SECOND SCENE looking for the restroom.
How do you feel the production is going? Are you happy with it?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

I vote no intermission, even though I have had to get up from movies once or even twice to use the restroom. I realize that's easier to do in a movie theater than in most Broadway houses, but i don't find the same kind of spell at a movie that I do in live theater.

Besides, at a movie theater, if somebody complains that you're getting up to use the restroom, just tell that person is a free 3-D effect.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

FJL, the song is too nice to use for someone as crazy-eyed as Michelle Bachmann. I look into those eyes and I see, "Holy c---! Does she really think she should be the leader of the free world? And if she thinks that, what other horrors is she dreaming up?"
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »

Good Afternoon!

...I was all right until I noticed my brother started to get a little misty-eyed when he saw Kristy, his bride-to-be, starting to come down the aisle, and then I started to cry. And then when Pastor Andy started to deliver his thoughts and words, well... And then when my brother, Michael, and Kristy's sister delivered a little skit about Kristy and Jay's courtship... And then when they exchanged their vows... And then when they exchanged rings... And then when I went to hug my brother after the ceremony... And then when Kristy's sister gave her toast... And then when my brother, Mike, delivered his toast... And when they cut the cake...

In other words, I cried a lot. And it was a really beautiful wedding.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »

I posted some pics on Facebook, and I'll post some more later.  There were a LOT OF CAMERAS there, and I'm sure many more photos will be shared over the next week or so.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a nap.

:)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »

DR Jane - the cake was chocolate.  One of our favorites from Central Pastry is their orange chiffon.

Thanks.  I'm guessing chocolate is Mary Linda's favorite.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

...I was all right until I noticed my brother started to get a little misty-eyed when he saw Kristy, his bride-to-be, starting to come down the aisle, and then I started to cry. And then when Pastor Andy started to deliver his thoughts and words, well... And then when my brother, Michael, and Kristy's sister delivered a little skit about Kristy and Jay's courtship... And then when they exchanged their vows... And then when they exchanged rings... And then when I went to hug my brother after the ceremony... And then when Kristy's sister gave her toast... And then when my brother, Mike, delivered his toast... And when they cut the cake...

In other words, I cried a lot. And it was a really beautiful wedding.

Awwwww! :D

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

Nice pics.  I like how the table seating was done.  Where was the wedding?

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »

Thanks.  I'm guessing chocolate is Mary Linda's favorite.

It's one of 'em  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »

Back from various and sundried things.  It has been pouring rain all day (most annoying - no jog), so I took a walk to Times Square and ended up getting a third row center seat for Catch Me If You Can about thirty minutes before curtain.  Always fun to see my pal Linda Hart on stage, although she probably isn't onstage for more than ten minutes in the entire show.  The show is the usual slick Jack O'Brien/Jerry Mitchell machine - it's what they do.  It worked for Hairspray (although I wasn't over the moon), less so for The Full Monty.  This one is strictly by the numbers, features a not very interesting score, and a framing device which renders everything pointless.  Despite the American Idol-like shenanigans of much of the comped, TKTS, and rushed audience, there's simply no there there and it's totally understandable why it's closing at a complete loss.  They're saying it will tour - so now they'll get to lose even more money (and they will).  If Billy Elliot was a disaster on the road (it was and it closed), and that show is a HIT, then what chance does Catch Me If You Can have?  If they think that title is a brand of some sort, they sincerely need to have their sanity checked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »

Then David and I joined Barry and his cousin at a nice Chinese place called Ollie's.  I did miss jogging, but I walked at least a couple of miles, so there's that.  It's still coming down.  I need the rain to STOP until I'm back in LA, so do sent excellent vibes and xylophones for dry days ahead.

FJL

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

I enjoyed the song, DR FJL!

Thanks, Kevin!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »

RAIN BE GONE

VIBES TO BK!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »

Back from various and sundried things.  It has been pouring rain all day (most annoying - no jog), so I took a walk to Times Square and ended up getting a third row center seat for Catch Me If You Can about thirty minutes before curtain.  Always fun to see my pal Linda Hart on stage, although she probably isn't onstage for more than ten minutes in the entire show.  The show is the usual slick Jack O'Brien/Jerry Mitchell machine - it's what they do.  It worked for Hairspray (although I wasn't over the moon), less so for The Full Monty.  This one is strictly by the numbers, features a not very interesting score, and a framing device which renders everything pointless.  Despite the American Idol-like shenanigans of much of the comped, TKTS, and rushed audience, there's simply no there there and it's totally understandable why it's closing at a complete loss.  They're saying it will tour - so now they'll get to lose even more money (and they will).  If Billy Elliot was a disaster on the road (it was and it closed), and that show is a HIT, then what chance does Catch Me If You Can have?  If they think that title is a brand of some sort, they sincerely need to have their sanity checked.

BK, why did you spend the money to go and see CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, knowing that you weren't going to like it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up