Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MUSIC  (Read 9844 times)

Jennifer

Re: MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »

Good luck to DR TCB with the neurosurgeon today!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DR Elmore, glad your visit to Ireland has been a good one!

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »

Good morning and good vibes!!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 07:01:15 AM »

Page 2 shimmy!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »

TOD:

I'm afraid I didn't have the best of taste in music as a youngen.  While my early obsessions did include Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop" and the early Beatles, they also centered around the songs of Josie and The Pussycats.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »

DR Elmore, treat yourself to a swig of some fine ole Irish scotch while you're there. (Maybe more than a swig...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  Neurosurgeon Vibes for DR TCB  *  *  *  *  *
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  Eye Doctor Vibes for the mother of DR Ginny  *  *  *  *  *
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »

TOD:

Aside from Broadway show numbers, when I was young, my favorite songs were:

"Moments To Remember"
"The Wayward Wind"
"Thunder Road"
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »

Hurricane Irene is still down by Florida but the skies here in Philly are looking very ominous.  I think we are due for one hell of a ride when she gets up here.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »

I have too many musical memories to list.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »

Thanks to DR MBARNUM for the card and pkg. that arrived today!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »

This damned hotel computer does not like my modifying a post, so let's try the TOD again!

I learned to read from record labels by the age of four, and my favorite record then was Fiedler and the Boston Pops and ;Sabre Dance.' Later, it was Tchaikovsky's dance of the little swans from SWAN LAKE, by that point I had seen Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND and my Little Golden Recored of songs from the movie became my obsession. The most moving song I remember as a child was the Weavers' recording of 'Good Night, Irene,' which moved me to buckets of tears. Still does. I have no idea why.

Okay, they've probably finished cleaning my room, so I've got more things to accomplish today. After my walk to the pharmacy, I stopped into thre Bank of Ireland for some currency exchange and I found DR MBarnum's next fantasy. So, Mikey, plan your trip to Dublin for 2051. He should pay me a fee for my help.

Elmore-Safe Travel Vibes

As A P.S.-The Second Song Of The Day Here In Florida Is  GOOD NIGHT, IRENE

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »

I'm up and will shortly be shipping CDs.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »

TOD:  I guess I've always responded to music of one sort or another.   I remember playing my grandfather's 78 rpm. records...specifically, Les Paul and Mary Ford's "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" and "Whispering Hope."   I remember dancing to "The Bunny Hop" with my parents' friends.

When I got my first hi-fi record player (monaural only), I got a few 45 rpms with it including an Andy Williams 45 with Hawaiian songs, a Bing Crosby 45 with Christmas songs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks (The Chipmunk Song on one side.  Don't recall the flip side title).   Later, my mom ordered a box from Readers Digest and I had my first introduction to a variety of music types, including one album with film theme orchestrals.

Who can say where it really started, this film music passion, but I think it must have been the addition (by my mom) of "Exodus", the RCA LP, to my record collection.  It got played to death.  And, thus...."King of Kings" and "Mutiny on the Bounty" were Christmas presents in 1962.  And my first store-bought soundtrack was Elmer Bernstein's "To Kill A Mockingbird".

"South Pacific" and "Carousel" were among the first film musicals in my collection, preceded by "Bye Bye Birdie", "The King and I", "There's No Business Like Show Business" (all three gotten in one Christmas!), and "Mary Poppins" (one of the rare RCA pressings...a "club" offering).

My first "theatrical" LP was likely "Greenwillow" which I found in a cut-out bin in a Walgreen's in the early 60s.  Once theater became a passion, I slowly added those recordings (always pricier -- a buck higher, usually -- than soundtrack recordings).  I had "She Loves Me", found in a cut-out bin in the Navy Exchange in Jacksonville FL in 1972, and never played it until I was in Washington DC, circa 1978.   It had gone with me to Vicenza, Italy,  Athens, Greece and Naples, Italy.   When I finally sat on the floor and listened to both LPs, I was overwhelmed, overcome and full of self-chastisement.  That began a lifelong love affair with Barbara Cook whom I already knew from "The Music Man".

I was also certainly mesmerized by popular music.  One of the highlights was Mason Williams' "Classical Gas".  And the Richard Harris recordings were also a major delight.

I'm a man of moods...many moody moods...and sometimes I'm only in the mood for the downbeat...or the upbeat....or the vocal.  I prefer orchestral, as a rule, because I can "go anywhere" listening to something orchestral.   Vocal performances are very specific, but there are times when nothing will do but I MUST listen to Sondheim...or Herman...or Barbara Harris...or whomever.

I also have a yen for country music, on occasion...but generally of the Randy Travis/Clint Black sort.

And I love me my Classics.  Note the capital "C", please.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:05:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »

Ooh!  Ooh!  Another "musical memory" (that may also be one of DR JMK's):

"These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you."

Whatever happened to Nancy Sinatra anyway?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »

Some favorite pop performers:

The Supremes
The Fifth Dimension
The Mamas and the Papas
Simon and Garfunkel
The Beatles
Glen Campbell
Anne Murray
Barbra
Bette
Andy Williams
Jan and Dean
The Doors
The Who
The Moody Blues
America
The Eagles
Montrose
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Elton John
Aretha
Billy Joel

et. al.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:09:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »

Nancy's still around, I was just perusing her site the other day because for some reason I had the strangest dream that included a nonstop underscore of "You Only Live Twice."  If you have the DVD or Blu-ray of that film, listen to the commentary for John Barry's priceless opinion of her "technique."  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »

DR elmore - It really sounds like you had a wonderful experience all around. Let's hope all that good "stuff" carries over into your trip back to The States. I hope that "Irene" does not mess up your travel plans. ~~~~~

I am a bit worried about that! I hope I don't spend the next week at the Dublin airport.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

My afternoon meeting went well, and things are buzzing. I have an hour to myself before Joe and his fiancee pick me up for tonight's party. A nap mightr be nice.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »

DR elmore - It really sounds like you had a wonderful experience all around. Let's hope all that good "stuff" carries over into your trip back to The States. I hope that "Irene" does not mess up your travel plans. ~~~~~

I am a bit worried about that! I hope I don't spend the next week at the Dublin airport.

You should be quite all right.   Eastbound Atlantic flights take a North Atlantic route (up and over rather than straight across).
Irene won't be anywhere near New York until Sunday afternoon....so I think you've got nothing to worry about.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »

I just checked weather.com and they're telling me it will be sunny in NYC tomorrow. If true, it bodes well for the flight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »

Nancy's still around, I was just perusing her site the other day because for some reason I had the strangest dream that included a nonstop underscore of "You Only Live Twice."  If you have the DVD or Blu-ray of that film, listen to the commentary for John Barry's priceless opinion of her "technique."  ;)

I'll check that out!  Thanks, JMK.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »

You should be quite all right.   Eastbound Atlantic flights take a North Atlantic route (up and over rather than straight across).
Irene won't be anywhere near New York until Sunday afternoon....so I think you've got nothing to worry about.

Thanks, DR RonPulliam!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Surprise! Surprise! Today's scheduled understudy rehearsal is no longer today's scheduled rehearsal.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »

DR elmore - Since I can't seem to keep track of exactly when you're flying back with the time difference in your postings... When exactly are you flying back? Friday or Saturday?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »

Oh!

DR elmore - Do you have plans for Monday night (in NYC)?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »

Hurricane Irene is still down by Florida but the skies here in Philly are looking very ominous.  I think we are due for one hell of a ride when she gets up here.

We're dealing with non-Irene-related thunderstorms today too here in DC. There have been a couple of downpours already. I just hope today's weather and Irene don't affect the Washington Monument repairs. They keep finding cracks. :-/
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »

We're dealing with non-Irene-related thunderstorms today too here in DC. There have been a couple of downpours already. I just hope today's weather and Irene don't affect the Washington Monument repairs. They keep finding cracks. :-/

Yep, I checked weather.com to look at the map and saw that today's storms have nothing to do with Irene.  However, they are now calling for Irene to shift further west meaning she'll be hugging the coast more closely if not directly.

How can one tell if one's house has hatches and how does one go about battening them down?  Do I need to batten them back up afterwards?  Do they sell self-battening hatches?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »

Last night's quake epicentered in Mineral VA didn't help matters!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Surprise! Surprise! Today's scheduled understudy rehearsal is no longer today's scheduled rehearsal.

What is today's scheduled rehearsal going to be, then?    Or no rehearsal at all?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up