Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT OF TOUCH  (Read 10674 times)

Jennifer

Re: OUT OF TOUCH
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

My parents are on their way back from NYC today (from their cruise).

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

I am sort of happy. I tried on 3 pairs of my "small" pants not thinking that there was any chance that they would fit. But i could actually do up the zippers and buttons on all 3 pairs!  They were a little snug and i probably would not be comfortable wearing them yet. But I was pretty happy they all did up!

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »

It was such a nice day here today. So sunny, so warm. Well it was supposed to be high 60s in the morning. But i was boiling hot at my niece's soccer tournament. This afternoon was supposed to be 75F. But i went biking in shorts and a tank top. So it must have been warmer than that.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2011, 01:31:46 PM »

back from a  very full day so far

we used a prayer very liek the one Fr Richard used and like TD's church we closed with a Patriotic song only we used My Country Tis of Thee
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

Then after church I had to meet some friends at a local cematary at the gravesite of another of our friends who passed away recently at the young age of 58

it was a nice little service - only 7 of us were there but we all shared some memories of Tom and several others who could not be there today had send memories which were read out

vixmom

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

then back to my church where we had a 9/11 vigil in the chapel and our annual "Rally Day" barbeque going on in the back yard - 

vixmom

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »

and now I am finally home and exhausted

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Last night when we were coming home from New Jersey there were security stops on the entries to the bridges

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »

I was on my way to work when I first heard that a plane had hit the trade center.  It was on the radio, but they thought it was some small plane.  When I went into the federal building where I worked I went into Senator Grassley's SC office where I knew there was a television.  That was the first I saw what was going on.  I watched for a few minutes and went to the elevator to go to my office. My phone rang and my secretary told me we had to evacuate.

I went home and watched the tv for awhile and then went to the blood bank where there were literally hundreds and hundreds of people lined up to give blood.  The whole day was surreal, as I'm sure it was for everyone.   My nephew had just gone to London the week before or so, with no planes flying we had no idea when he would be able to come home.   We have a fighter wing here, so the fighter jets were flying over. Every time I heard one of the jets it made me jump a bit.

I don't remember much else except not being able to get away from watching the tv, whether I really wanted to or not

I wouldn't have expected you to be mentioning fighter jets.  I can imagine they would be a bit unnerving.  Bryan planned to donate blood.  Since I had read about the lines I told him not to stay if there were any & to donate later.  He donates on a regular basis and they would call if they needed him.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »

I was in London.

I had local friends in Spain & said it was hard not being here.  I imagine it was worse for you since it was your home town that was hit.  Craig had just left NY after his summer there & a part of him was sorry he couldn't be there.

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »

On  that day 10 years ago I had a real estate closing.  At that time I was still working in that  other law firm 30 miles west of my house on the Queens/Nassau border,  but on that morning I was scheduled for a 9 AM closing at our satellite office out in Suffolk county east of my home. 

I was listening to a book on tape on my way into the office so I did not hear about the  first plane on  the radio - when I arrived at the office (we only rented spaced there from another law firm so we could conduct closings there as needed had no regular employees there)  everyone was in the back office  so I assumed that law firm was having a office meeting so I quietly went to the conference room and set out the paperwork and got the room ready -  people started wandering in for my closing but everyone was late and looking very grim

I did not have a clue what was going on so I made some small stupid joke to try and break the tension and one of the attorneys looked at me and said  - "You didn't hear did you?" 

at that point both towers had been hit and were in flames - I immediately asked if I could excuse myself to try and make some phone call s-  my husband worked only a few blocks from there then and my brother was due to be at  Tower 2 at 8:30 for a meeting

Because all the phone lines were busy it took a while to reach my husband -who was safe (he was unable to get home until late that night because they had stopped all the trains and no car were allowed to enter the city  so I could not go get him)

and I was able to get in touch with my parents who had had word that my brother was delayed  getting to his meeting and had never made it downtown at all

It was not until the next day that I learned my cousin was due to be in the plane the crashed into the Pentagon - the meeting he was scheduled to attend had been cancelled the evening of the 10th

we were very lucky

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »

I was just back from a clipper ship cruise off the coast of Maine. Any est and relaxation i had left in me evaporated that day.

My folks had left the evening before for Ireland and we didn't know really how to each them over there. As we found out later, they had missed their connection and stayed overnight in JFK. The next morning they couldn't take off. And they couldn't get out of the airport, either.

Five days later, my sister and her husband had to stage a rescue mission and drive from Richmond, Va., to JFK. Thankfully, Dad had his insulin with him and Mom had her high blood pressure medicine.

They still haven't made it to Ireland, but they certainly had an adventure they were not ready for.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »

I think what happened 10 years ago today had a lot to do with Rob's decision to become a paramedic.  Fitting that he starts his new job in that field day after tomorrow.

Interesting. 

Nice sermon by Father Richard.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

My parents are on their way back from NYC today (from their cruise).

SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES!

I hope they enjoyed their cruise in spite of the itinerary changes.

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

After my closing was over I had planned to go to my office regular office but the expressway had signs that all west bound traffic was forbidden except to emergency responders

I called my office and my boss told me that they were sending everyone home to be with their families any way

I decided to go to the school and sign out the then 8 year old Vixter - concerned that she would hear the news from some one else - I found the lobby full of parents with the same idea

to their credit everyone was calm and revealed nothing of what was going on in front of the children as they were  coming out

In explaining to my 8 year old daughter what had happened that day I suddenly flashed back to my Daddy sitting down with  the 6 year old me to explain President Kennedy's assasination

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

and has anyone heard from TCB?

Jane

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »

DR Vixmom your stories of the day are very moving.  I'm glad your cousin wasn't lost that day.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »

Interesting finds today at Borders, including the Tom Wopat/Harold Arlen album, Jane Krakoski (sp?) and "Fela!" And I spent too much on books, only a few of which will be Christmas/birthday presents.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »

and has anyone heard from TCB?

I checked FB & he did make one quick post a little while ago.:)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »

I probably wouldn't change the look of the site, and it would operate in much the same way it does now, but with current software that will allow us to do things we can't do, like post video and audio clips, have working links, interviews, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »

Has JMK been around here?  I don't think so.  Surely his Bar Mitzvah thing has been over for a week now and he has been posting reviews.  He's not even responded to an e-mail I sent to him two weeks ago.

FJL

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »

Looks like his most recent post was August 29

FJL

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »

Glad TCB is OK

Jane

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

I was still in bed when Keith said the early phone call was from Craig who was up early to take a friend to the San Francisco airport.  Of course the flight had been canceled.  He then turned the tv on for us to watch.

I was hosting my book discussion gathering that morning & had to call everyone to, first inform them of the horrible news if they hadn't heard, and then find out if they wanted to still come.  I can't remember what the book was only that the discussion fit the events.  A number of people came & it was helpful for us to gather.  Craig & Bryan felt I should have canceled, but then Craig wasn't here & Bryan was returning to Portland that afternoon.  Keith went out to work in the yard which would have left me all alone.

The phone kept ringing with updates regarding Bryan's many friends in NY.  My brother called with updates regarding his daughter who was so frightened after the first crash she was on the phone with her mother when the 2nd one happened.  At least we knew immediately she was ok.  One of her roommates was missing all morning.  All missing friends were eventually accounted for.  They were all found when someone thought to call their parents.  Phone service was so bad the first calls were made to worried parents.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »

Has JMK been around here?  I don't think so.  Surely his Bar Mitzvah thing has been over for a week now and he has been posting reviews.  He's not even responded to an e-mail I sent to him two weeks ago.

I'm guessing he missed your email or meant to respond later & forgot.  I would send it again if you want a response.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »

I've probably mentioned that Keith flew home on the Pennsylvania flight on September 9th.  He returned from a business trip I had wanted to go on and was very disappointed not to make it happen.  Had I managed the trip the plan was to return a couple of days later.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »

I was living with my sister.  I was half asleep but woke up when I heard hear almost yelling, "Oh my god!  Oh my god!  Oh my god!"  I got out of bed and she told me what she'd heard so far.  By the time she had woken up and heard the news, the second plane had already hit.  I don't remember much else about that day, but that evening, I had some meeting to go to and all we talked about was what had happened in New York. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »

I'm at my sister's right now (my Internet is still not working) and have caught up with all the posts and my e-mail.  I'm about to leave to go to a Seattle Storm basketball game in Seattle.  I'd heard that there was a soccer game at 1:00 and some 9/11 tributes happening this morning, so hopefully the traffic won't be too bad.  The basketball game doesn't start until 6:00 pm.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »

Well, be back...whenever.

George

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

But before I go...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up