Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: JUNE, JUNE, JUNE  (Read 20979 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:JUNE, JUNE, JUNE
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:01 PM »

To quote BK (and Sondheim)...And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:14 PM »

No-one could convince me to see MM. I'd rather take "one more walk around the garden" and then listen to "The Best Of ABBA".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2004, 09:32:05 PM »

Danise - I really enjoyed reading about your NY adventures.

So did I!  It brings back memories of the only time that I went to New York.  The difference is that you went all by yourself!  Very impressive.  I went with a group that made all the arrangements and I just had to decide what one show I wanted to see (the rest were selected by majority vote).   Next time I'd like to go by myself.  You are an inspiration.  ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2004, 09:32:33 PM »

The Cary Grant documentary was fine, but the stories of his life in New York before he went west were curiously glossed over. Still, it went into some detail over his marriages without delving too much. I don't think he ever let many people into his life who KNEW too much about him.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  I learned a lot about Grant that I never knew before.  And if I were drinking coffee, I would have done a Danny Thomas spit take when Betsy Drake dismissed the gay rumor!  What a hoot that was!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2004, 09:34:43 PM »

I just finished watching the most wonderful film. KM.0 (Kilometer Zero). It is a recent Spanish film, and oh my gosh, it was good. I highly recommend it. And who knew there were so many good looking gay men in Madrid! LOL!

I loved Km. 0!  Happy that you discovered it, Dear Reader MBarnum.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jason

« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2004, 09:54:28 PM »

MAMMA MIA! is a blast. Don't expect much by way of a plot, but it really is a great time. I think you'll be surprised by how much fun you'll have.

PennyO: Glad you enjoyed PHANTOM. The old show still holds up, even after 16 years.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »

MAMMA MIA! is a blast. Don't expect much by way of a plot, but it really is a great time. I think you'll be surprised by how much fun you'll have.

PennyO: Glad you enjoyed PHANTOM. The old show still holds up, even after 16 years.

Perhaps I am a bit slow on the uptake, but was PennyO's audition today for the role of Carlotta in Phantom?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2004, 10:35:47 PM »

I'm new but I love hearing about people's New York adventures since I still haven't had any yet! (hmmm maybe not the best way to introduce myself but oh well.) That's refering to whomever George is talking to. SORRY! Just give me sometime to get a handle on how this site works and I'll be better! :-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 11:38:55 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2004, 10:44:49 PM »

Welcome to the madhouse, Joey.  We have fun here, and unlike other theater chat boards there are no flamewars, everyone is respectful and it's all quite addictive.  Best way to start each new day is to read BK's Notes (just click the link that says "Today's Column" so you're in the know, and then at the end of each day's notes you can click the link and come directly to this here discussion board.

I'm back and to prove it, I'm here.  Thanks to all for keeping the home fries burning.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2004, 10:51:42 PM »

We have fun here, and unlike other theater chat boards there are no flamewars
What are flamewars?  ???

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »

WELCOME, JOEY!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2004, 10:55:40 PM »

What are flamewars?  ???

I believe it is a new trilogy of fims by George Lucas.

“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2004, 10:56:02 PM »

Neve mind (an Emily Litella reference!) - I just looked it up. I'm glad it has nothing to do with throwing burning home fries at each other.

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2004, 11:06:52 PM »

Welcome Joey.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2004, 11:12:05 PM »

Welcome Joey!

Oh, and I forgot the topic o' the day earlier. Carol Channing in any role. I say that every time, don't I?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2004, 11:30:48 PM »

Nothing like a late night work out...I've been so good about going to the gym lately, I'm proud of myself :)

Welcome Joey!!  Tell us a bit about yourself!  We're really very friendly people around these here parts, and we like to get the scoop on newcomers.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2004, 11:33:25 PM »

I'd like two scoops.

And one for Mahler.

Jason

« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2004, 11:44:51 PM »

Benvenuto, Joey!

Perhaps I am a bit slow on the uptake, but was PennyO's audition today for the role of Carlotta in Phantom?

Yes. Today they had a 6-month Required Equity Replacement Call for PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. She sang for the role of Carlotta. Move over, Judy Kaye...here comes PennyO!

In honor of our newest member, Joey, here's a song for Jed:

Joey, Joey, Joey
Joey, Joey, Joe
You've been too long
In one place
And it's time to go...
Time to go!

Speaking of times to go...it's past my bedtime...and I haven't even showered yet!

Jason

« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2004, 11:46:33 PM »

Has anyone noticed how dangerously close I am to becoming a god? DANGEROUSLY close, I tell you... I expect party hats and pantaloons...cheese slices and ham chunks. And chocolate chip cookies. :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2004, 11:46:58 PM »

Wait a minute - they were auditioning for Carlotta?  Where was I?  I've always wanted to play Carlotta.  Mad Carlotta (oh - a Vertigo reference).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2004, 11:47:59 PM »

New notes going up in twelve minutes - get in your posts before we start the new topic.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2004, 11:53:36 PM »

Haha ok umm I'm a college student and I haven't been lucky enought to make it to New York yet. (hopefully in October) I am VERY passionate about theatre in general. I am trying to decide on a major. I am currently thinking about declaring music ed in the fall with a minor in theatre, and a minor in digital media but that could change. I can't decide. I am also Catholic which is a big part of my life. (Don't let that scare you!) I'm not one of those "You're going to hell" people. I am a firm believer in spreading love and understanding and NOT judgement. I also love to sing. I just can't stop myself there are times where I just have to burst into song. My family tries to get me to sing in public more but I only seem to be able to sing and act on stage . (I think its because I can't really see the audience that well and I don't get nervous.) I post on another messageboard some of you might recognize me as son/gunn but this is much more my style. I hate flame wars. Ummm what else oh yeah Laura II inspired me to join, if it wasn't for her I would not have found this lovely site! :-)  I'm not sure if I fulfilled all the scoops though so if you have any other questions feel free to ask!
There is no music without silence, only noise...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2004, 11:54:31 PM »

Welcome, Joey!

Der Brucer and I will be having our own NYC adventure on Friday.  Tomorrow, however, it's to DC we will go.  I've just realized: Der B is going to be seeing Spawn of Eden cold!  I'm familiar with the score from the Paper Mill recording (re-listened to the first act tonight).  So this will be fun, watching him watch the show, while I'm watching the show, and we're both watching Jose.

If we're lucky, we'll be able to get a pic of Jose with members of the chorus who are dressed like felines.  Then we can post it and call it "Jose and the Pussycats!"

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:12 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Danise - Let me add my Thank You for your sharing of your NYC experience.  And NYC can truly be an "experience", especially your first time there.  You truly are one of those "half-full" people!

-Of course, reading of your recent adventures, as well as of today's HHW-East get-together... I really want to get back to NYC soon.  Real soon!!!

-And, as luck would have it, I may now have a place in SoHo for the summer!!!!  -The Chelsea apartment fell-through - bad for me, but great news for my friend, John.  But, SoHo... hmm.. Could be fun!  I'll keep you posted!

RE: MAMMA MIA! - As others have mentioned, if you go expecting a great night of theatre... you won't get it.  What you will get is a very high-energy show, with lots of lights and loud music - in the good, rock concert sense.  -And some pretty nice bodies - usually without shirts - at least for the men.  *Oh, and I think Dave is still playing drums in the pit for that tour - he's very nice to look at - and just a great guy period.  And being familiar with the ABBA repertoire does help.  Some of the songs are purposely shoe-horned in some places - it's kind of fun guessing what song will come next.  *They just list the songs in the program - not the order.

Well, I better his Post before I'm locked out...

And as for A CHORUS LINE casting... I, too, agree that the movie version set the bar... although, I felt really bad for Gregg Burge having to sing that "Surprise" number.  UGH!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:42 PM »

We love LauraII and hope she gets in her reply before the new topic goes up in five minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:55 PM »

Not to mention the new notes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:55 PM »

And chocolate chip cookies. :D
But I won't have a chance to bake between now and Friday!  Damn them, damn them all to...wait, that's someone else's line!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up