Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPOINTING DOG  (Read 33447 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE DISAPPOINTING DOG
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »

!!!!!!PAGE SIX!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »

And since today was a long day, a WONDERFUL day, but long, and since I have quite the jam-packed 72 hours ahead of me...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Melody's mom sent me an e-mail this morning.  They're agent shopping and Melody needs a one-minute dramatic and comedy monologue.  They found the drama, but couldn't find anything remotely funny that a thirteen year old could do.  I told her I'd think about it - and I couldn't think of anything either.  On my jog, I got an idea, and when I got back I wrote her a monologue.  I sent it to them without telling them it was me.  They loved it and wanted to know what it was from so they could read the play.  I 'fessed up that I'd written it just for her.  And her mother said, "That's why it's perfect for her."  Here it is:

Molly:  Can I tell you about my mother?  I need to tell you about my mother.  Please, let me tell you about my mother.  Okay, I’m telling you about my mother.  She’s crazy. She’s thirty-eight years old. She’s having some kind of mid-life whatever.  She wants to be my age, she wants to be thirteen.  She wants to be best friends and do what I do and hang out with me all the time.  I told her I have lots of friends my age, that I need her to be an adult.  She took away my cell phone for using the “A” word.   She wants to have sleepovers.  I told her, mother we live in the same house, we have sleepovers every night.  That’s not good enough.  She wants to sleep in my room and stay up late and act stupid.  She wants me to call her Eileen.  Who wants to call their mother Eileen?  First of all, her name is Dorothy.  But she saw some old movie on cable, My Sister Eileen, and now she wants to be Eileen.  She does that all the time.  Last week she saw The Sound Of Music and wanted me to call her Leisl.  She kept on singing I am sixteen going on seventeen – I sang back, you are sixteen going on thirty-eight – she took away my cell phone for being an ungrateful daughter.  Yesterday she came into my room to show me her new thong.  Can I just tell you that the one thing a thirteen year old never needs to see ever is their mother wearing a thong?  Fail.  I just want my mother back.  I want thirty-eight to be the new thirty-eight not the new thirteen.   

bk - That's a good monologue. However... Be sure she keeps looking for something from the "standard canon" as it were. Some agents, directors, etc. have an aversion to "specialty material" - especially if it's not excerpted from a longer work. There are a bunch of anthologies and listings. It will be worth the effort for her to find some more companion pieces.

I know that's the thinking, but I actually find when, for example, singers come in and sing something great that I'm not that familiar with or that's off the beaten track, I usually respond more.  I'm going to make a title and say the monologue is from a play that's workshopping.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »

Back from a very mediocre production of a really fun but hoary Agatha Christie play, And Then There Were None.  This is the kind of play I'd love to direct in a major production - it could be so much fun visually and with a great cast - in fact, I think it could be a nice hit on Broadway with the right kind of revival, much like An Inspector Calls.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up