Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FRUITFUL  (Read 42350 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: FRUITFUL
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 06:02:03 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept well. I slept late, and I'm back to work on Appalachian themes.

DR TCB, there's only one boy in the cast of ONCE UPON A TIME, we saw Pinocchio in the fantasy world, so who else can the Mayor's adopted son be? I forget: he's Emma Swan's kid. Of course, we haven't seen any of the seven dwarves yet in Storybrooke, not to mention Cinderella and others. Who knows?

DR Jose, tell Ben Davis hello for me! Is the other Anripholus his brother? They have the same last name.

DR Ginny, when do you arrive back in Ohio? Did you ever see my post about Roy Barton?

Au revoir!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »

TOD:

THE CONVERSATION
HOOSIERS
I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER
THE FRENCH CONNECTION
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »

BK, your questions (or at least some of them) about THE CONVERSATION's Blu-ray transfer are answered in my exclusive IV with Coppola's Film Archivist here.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 06:34:12 AM »

Last night I finally finished the Wendy Wasserstein bio that has been my train commuting book for the past month and I have to admit that I get very teary at the end.  Wasserstein did not die peacably and she left her daughter in the care of a family that itself would soon be broken.  Still, I enjoyed reading about this playwright's life and her work.  Now I need to get a copy of her final work, THIRD, which I never read.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:25 AM »

Last night I finally finished the Wendy Wasserstein bio that has been my train commuting book for the past month and I have to admit that I get very teary at the end.  Wasserstein did not die peacably and she left her daughter in the care of a family that itself would soon be broken.  Still, I enjoyed reading about this playwright's life and her work.  Now I need to get a copy of her final work, THIRD, which I never read.

I've been reading it on and off, but it isn't holding my attention. I do want to get the DVD of UNCOMMON WOMEN ..., which I've never seen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:43:16 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:25 AM »

DR John G, I meant to comment on your inquiry about Lee Lessack, who's got his own recording label. I've never heard him sing, but after meeting him at a cabaret event, i don't think I ever want to run into him again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:51:51 AM by elmore3003 »

JMK

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:17 AM »

Lee has distributed several albums by friends/collaborators of mine.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:20 AM »

Lee has distributed several albums by friends/collaborators of mine.

BK produced one of Susan Egan's recordings for his label. I found him to be a complete jerk. Perhaps he looks down on his inferiors.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »

TOD: I like Gene Hackman in anything...."

I also like Gene Hackman in everything...even if I don't like the movie itself.

He was the Spencer Tracy of his day and it's a shame that he quit acting so early.

Come back, Gene!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »

I have to go to the dentist today.

:P
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »

It seems likely that DS Zach will be participating in a Chinese exchange program where we will have a Chinese student live with us in February for a couple of weeks and then Zach will go live with his family next summer.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 07:22:29 AM »

I've been going to the dentist since June 29th. I'm almost done. I have 3 or 4 more visits. I have had 3 root canals, I have 2 new crowns and will have a 3rd when it's over and I've had two ancient fillings (30 to 40 years old) replaced. It's all been done by the New York University School of Dentistry.

JMK

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 07:24:37 AM »

My general sense is that the Chinese will forgive our enormous national debt to them if only we agree to take Zach back.  :)

JMK

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 07:27:11 AM »

I went to the Oregon Health Sciences University dental school to have a wisdom tooth removed years and years ago.  First off, they turned on the nitrous and then left the room, forgetting they had done that.  That wasn't so bad (LOL), but the student could not get my wisdom tooth out, and the Dean had to come in and use a chisel or something to break the tooth up and remove it.  They ended up leaving shards of my tooth embedded in my gum which took weeks to work themselves out.

Laura

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »

My general sense is that the Chinese will forgive our enormous national debt to them if only we agree to take Zach back.  :)

Good plan! Thanks!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »

Chinese!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »

I had been going to the same dentist since I was 12 years old. A couple of years before he planned to retire, he brought in a young dentist, and they worked together for quite some time. So when my dentist did retire, I was okay with the new one because the retiring one was confident in the new one. I will not go anywhere else.

The only dental work I've needed is five (yes five) wisdom teeth removed and one crown to fix a broken tooth, plus some fillings. My dental hygienist makes sure things are healthy every six months.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 07:39:32 AM »

TOD:

Bonnie and Clyde
Young Frankenstein
Hoosiers

Laura

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »

The arborist is here. Seems my tree has some serious issues -- this will cost more than I thought.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »

You evidently abhor your arborist.  Or at least his fees.

Laura

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »

Not yet. We'll do some more stuff come spring. I didn't realize this kind of tree needed attention when it was young to get it shaped correctly. I had it done a year and a half ago.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

Good morning. 
I like boat races.

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »

DR Ginny, when do you arrive back in Ohio? Did you ever see my post about Roy Barton?

Au revoir!

DR Elmore - we're due into CVG tomorrow at 2pm.

I missed your post about Roy, but I did read about his death on Facebook.  He died while we were in Paris...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »

Good morning.  I am sniffly today.

WolfeGirl

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

Maybe not the first Gene Hackman performance to come to mind, but he was a lot of fun in Get Shorty.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »

We are back from a moderate walk to the G. H. Mumm Champagne House for their tour and tasting.  We got there when they opened for the afternoon at 2pm, but couldn't join a tour until 3:30.  We decided to have some lunch in the neighborhood - baguette avec jambon et frommage at a definite NON tourist jernt:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »

Paulaner Munchen - a famous composer of operettas, no doubt.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »

I sent an envelope of movies to DR MBARNUM this morning......

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »

DR Ginny were all the balconies French balconies or were there also step out ones?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:44 AM »

Last night I watched the restored LOST HORIZON. 

I decided to just NOT think about the songs that I don't like and follow the story.

I like the book and I very much like the original movie.  So the story is there.  I guess I just think that the tone/type of the songs do not fit the story.....maybe a more generic type of "Broadway" or "musical" songs would have worked better.  The story just doesn't need songs.

I also finally decided that Finch and Ullman are terrific actors, but not necessarily for these parts.  Liv was beautiful in some of her Swedish movies, but here she seems sort of plain....and Finch seems a bit old....not for the part, but for the feelings he says he is experiencing......and he isn't photographed to any advantage either.

The movie is pretty - in a kind of 1970's California resort kind of way....and the clothes are okay.... 

The extras with Ross Hunter are interesting.  I guess my favorite song is the title song.

A quote from Hunter on IMDB that I have never read before: In a 1975 magazine interview with Rona Barrett, producer Ross Hunter acknowledged the failure of his film. "When we hired Bacharach and David to write the songs, we didn't know they were on the verge of dissolving their partnership. When they finally delivered the music, we were already deep into preproduction. We knew it was a bum score, but we couldn't do anything about it."

Too bad he didn't just do a non-musical remake of the original film - which might have been pretty good!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up