Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AMPLIFICATION  (Read 37561 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: AMPLIFICATION
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »

Page Three!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »

I haven't, but I want to. I hear you can't see anything from it because the sides are so high.

The documentary shows pedestrians walking along the footpath on the bridge and looking over the side.

Deception Pass, north of Seattle, is one of those bridges that I wish had higher sides to keep me from seeing over the edge.

It is very pretty from down below.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:54 PM »

I haven't, but I want to. I hear you can't see anything from it because the sides are so high.

The documentary shows pedestrians walking along the footpath on the bridge and looking over the side.

Why would anyone want to look over the side?

I don't want to cross the bridge, only see the dam.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »

Had a very productive work session with Adryan Russ.  We've finalized the song list, assigned everything, and figured out the first week's schedule.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »

Bryan said his exam yesterday was long and grueling. He will call later with details.  Curious as to how long I found the following:

The exam is a nine-hour single-day computer-based test composed of eight 44-question sets (352 multiple-choice questions in total). Each section is one hour long. The test taker is permitted 45 minutes, in total for the whole day, for the purpose of breaks that can only be taken between sections.

Laura

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »

So you can see the dam.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »

My favorite part of the trip to Las Vegas was always driving on top of the dam. It would be neat to be able to see the dam from the bridge. But I am always the driver and wouldn't be able to walk along the sidewalk to look over.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Lunch was fun and fast. But I did have a great chat with my niece, Emily. She told me all about her kindergarten class, and she quizzed me about my favorite colors.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »

And now I'm in rehearsal, and we are stumbling-through (on purpose) Act One.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »

So you can see the dam.

You should be able to see straight across at the dam, without having to look down.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »

But the dam goes all the down. Way, way down.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »

And speaking of "stumbling along", a certain Tony Award-winning actress - soon to make her Web debut in "Outside the Box" - will be dropping by rehearsal later. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  We are back from Lima, where everyone welcomed us back and asked lots of questions about our trip.  We then went to one of the hospitals for Fr. Richard to call on a parishioner and for me to have a Starbucks nonfat vanilla latte.  Lunch at Kewpie, a 2-hour drive, and we're home!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »

Has anyone else seen this commercial for AT&T 4G network?

This guy come around the corner in his office and finds his co-workers eating tacos outside of Bill's office and he thinks he wasn't invited.  He then turns his head to one of the other people there and says, "You invited Eric, I thought Eric gave you the creeps?"

Then, of course, his phone (with apparently bad service) rings and he gets the invite to the party.

That sounds exactly like something stupid that I would have done - foot in mouth!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

How many performances are there for THE BOYS?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »

Just five: Friday, two on Saturday, two on Sunday.

...and then I fly to Los Angeles on Monday morning, and start rehearsals with bk at LACC Monday evening. (Whew!)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »

I am back from THE BLUE FLOWER, which is an experiment in film and live theatre in which neither wins many points. It has an excellent cast, but it's poor Brecht - at one point there's very literal qute from "Mack the Knife," making me wonder if the Weill Foundation is aware of this, but it's like watching a lot of skilled theatre professionals masturbate and make much ado about nothing. The story, about a "famous artist" (1899-1955), seems to also be a history of Europe from Mayerling to WW 2, but the music all sounds like it was written this morning on a country western fix, with lots of slide guitar, power ballads, a couple of beautiful ensembles, and a lot of unintelligible lyrics. The 8-piece band was quite good and some of the arrangements very interesting.

The problem is a story that jumps around in time about four Germans whom one never has an emotional investment with. Too much is narrated, too much is on film - I was amazed at a lot of synchronization between band, actors and film , but at times the film is more involving than the staging and it gets in the way of the staging. I wanted to like it, and I was very moved by the last couple of scenes, but the pretentious "bug" cabaret in Act Two, after an equally ridiculous Dada cabaret scene in Act One, made we want to leave immediately. The first act ended on a beautiful lament, but I didn't give a single damn about the plight of the character singing it.

I kept waiting for someone to ask, "how did you like our Brecht parody?"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:44:11 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »

...and then I fly to Los Angeles on Monday morning, and start rehearsals with bk at LACC Monday evening. (Whew!)

How long will you be in L.A.?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

And speaking of "stumbling along", a certain Tony Award-winning actress - soon to make her Web debut in "Outside the Box" - will be dropping by rehearsal later. :)

Melody Hollis won a Tony award?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

Five Weeks!
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »

I watched "Captain America: The First Avenger" on Blu ray disc yesterday, and I thought it was super great fun!  Chris Evans is a terrific "Cap" and I think Joe Johnston and crew really captured the character's comic book vibe without being cartoonish.  I look forward to next summer's "The Avengers".

I take it he's playing John Steed. I hope that this is better than the one with Ralph Fiennes, Uma Thurmon and Sean Connery
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »

Listened to The Broadway Radio Hour which is actually longer than an hour. In the introduction for Peter Filichia it mention that he writes for Kitzerland on Fridays. I thought that they would go into more but they didn't
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »

Five Weeks!

DR Jose, I am all informed about the Boys 1938 materials.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »

Five Weeks!

Darn, no chance of my getting down there during that time period.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »

I watched "Captain America: The First Avenger" on Blu ray disc yesterday, and I thought it was super great fun!  Chris Evans is a terrific "Cap" and I think Joe Johnston and crew really captured the character's comic book vibe without being cartoonish.  I look forward to next summer's "The Avengers".

I take it he's playing John Steed. I hope that this is better than the one with Ralph Fiennes, Uma Thurmon and Sean Connery

I think we are talking "Super Heroes" THE AVENGERS, rather than Steed and Peel.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »

Last night's performance of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" was the best so far...for just about everyone involved.  Pug (who's running lights) said that she make a couple of mistakes, but I didn't notice any, and I'm sure that no one in the audience did, either.  I think that we've all finally hit our collective strides. :D

Is Christian playing Holmes?

Yes he is...and the train porter and Miss Cecille Stapleton and her "brother," Mr. Stapleton, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Barrymore. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:04:47 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »

BK, I TOTALLY agree with you about the problem of amplification in theater today.  A local theater company has their own fairly small theater (only about 180 seats) and anytime they do musicals, the sound is just too loud for the space...a few times, the sound was even a bit distorted because of the volume.

:P is what I say.

Ditto. Too damn loud. I think the worst for me was Starlight Express. But that was bad because I could hear the music at any decibel level.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »

I am back from THE BLUE FLOWER, which is an experiment in film and live theatre in which neither wins many points. It has an excellent cast, but it's poor Brecht - at one point there's very literal qute from "Mack the Knife," making me wonder if the Weill Foundation is aware of this, but it's like watching a lot of skilled theatre professionals masturbate and make much ado about nothing. The story, about a "famous artist" (1899-1955), seems to also be a history of Europe from Mayerling to WW 2, but the music all sounds like it was written this morning on a country western fix, with lots of slide guitar, power ballads, a couple of beautiful ensembles, and a lot of unintelligible lyrics. The 8-piece band was quite good and some of the arrangements very interesting.

The problem is a story that jumps around in time about four Germans whom one never has an emotional investment with. Too much is narrated, too much is on film - I was amazed at a lot of synchronization between band, actors and film , but at times the film is more involving than the staging and it gets in the way of the staging. I wanted to like it, and I was very moved by the last couple of scenes, but the pretentious "bug" cabaret in Act Two, after an equally ridiculous Dada cabaret scene in Act One, made we want to leave immediately. The first act ended on a beautiful lament, but I didn't give a single damn about the plight of the character singing it.

I kept waiting for someone to ask, "how did you like our Brecht parody?"
Yeah, but did you like it?  ;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »

BK, I TOTALLY agree with you about the problem of amplification in theater today.  A local theater company has their own fairly small theater (only about 180 seats) and anytime they do musicals, the sound is just too loud for the space...a few times, the sound was even a bit distorted because of the volume.

:P is what I say.

Ditto. Too damn loud. I think the worst for me was Starlight Express. But that was bad because I could hear the music at any decibel level.

I can't remember what touring company it was that just about knocked me out of my chair.  It was either RAGTIME or ANYTHING GOES.  On Broadway, JEKYLL AND HYDE practically kncked the fillings out of my teeth.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »

One more.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up