Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT THE GARDENIA 15  (Read 42168 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: KRITZERLAND AT THE GARDENIA 15
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:16 AM »

Oh, JR, some MOD movies are available:

HER HUSBAND'S AFFAIRS (1947) Charles Lederer and Ben Hecht of His Girl Friday fame offer up the wisecracks in this tale of a hapless hubby ad-man (Franchot Tone) whose quick-thinking bride (Ball) must constantly come to his rescue.
MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND (1949) William Holden lights up the screen alongside Lucy, long before his famous guest spot on I Love Lucy. A bookie (Holden) hires a trainee secretary (Ball) to manage his phony real estate office front, only to have her accidentally maneuver him and his criminal cronies into developing low-income housing.
THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL (1950) Scatterbrained saleswoman Sally Elliot (Ball) tries her hand at selling the famed Fuller brushes, but when one of her clients is murdered all sign point to her as the culprit. As the law closes in, it's up to her and her equally addled fiancee (Eddie Albert) to crack the case.
THE MAGIC CARPET (1951) Lucy's screen swan song (but only for the moment!) as she said goodbye to her Columbia contract and hello to TV superstardom, found her sandals deep in an Arabian adventure. Wildly cast against type, Lucy plays the sultry villainess Narah, who helps steal the Caliph's throne from infant Ramoth alongside her brother and his cohort, Grand Vizier Boreg (Raymond Burr).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

Just was wondering where you were, FJL. Welcome home.

thanks, John G

JMK

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »

Today's review project is that lovely family film known as BLUE VELVET.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:04 AM »

The BD has almost an hour of recently discovered footage that was excised from the final version of the film and there's a most amusing cameo by someone who would later become a rather well known television star, and who, I believe, may even be a close personal acquaintance of BK's.

JMK

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »

This future star played a supporting role (winning several Emmys IIRC) on a long running tv series which starred one of JR's most adored celebrities.  :)

JMK

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »

I am listening to a truly bizarre bossa nova version of All I Ask of You.  It's no better that way.

Amy

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »

Kritzerland at the Gardenia 15 was amazing! Every song was a winner, and Bruce was in very fine voice. This show was particularly humorous, obviously since Bruce mostly writes comedies, so there was lots and lots of laughter. During dinner, Mark said to me, "I think that's Corkey Hale and the man who wrote 'Houndog'." (Mark had fun later on his computer looking up all the other gazillions of hits that man wrote.) Then he said, "And I think that's the person who designs the covers of Bruce's CDs." I don't know how Mark recognizes these people. I mean I can understand how he would know their names, but how does he know their faces? And he does this everywhere we go...really odd. Anyway, it was great hearing several songs from "The Brain" again since we haven't seen that show for a while, and it's so chock full of great songs. Despite having to read the lyrics, Jason acted his part very well, and was really funny. The Dancing Dildos were a huge hit, and "Chinese Food in Bed" was the perfect song to follow it. Bruce even sounded a little bit like he was tearing up at the end...I'm assuming that song is autobiographical in some regard because he seemed particularly emotional for that one.  I can understand Bruce's comments about "Burning Bush" being done outside of the show, but it still got huge laughs. Introducing the song was a bit tricky because Bruce decided he couldn't say "stunt cock" at the restaurant. I don't know why - it was okay to say "dildo" several times, but "stunt cock" was somehow against FCC rules. If Cindy Williams had been there, she would have been happy to say it for him, I'm sure. "I Want to Eat Your Face" also got really big laughs. Mark was laughing so hard, he was sobbing. And once again, poor Melody got the wordiest song with "Sing-A-Long". And this was the wordiest of all the wordy songs that Bruce has ever made her sing. I don't know how she learned all those lyrics and could sing them so fast - she is an amazing talent. I was sitting in front, and I could even read the words, but I could never keep up and sing that fast...nor could anyone else. It was a great way to end the show. I look forward to the Christmas show next month.

JMK

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

I also received an advance copy of the Brando MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY yesterday.  Don't believe everything you read is all I can say.  More later.

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »

Nice to see you, DR Amy - thanks for the Gardenia report!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »

I will say this:  it may not in fact be a new transfer, but it most definitely and undeniably a new encode.

JMK

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »

Nothing against Maurice Jarre, but Bronislau Kaper was ROBBED (robbed, I tells ya).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »

TOD:

Author:  Stephen King

Have you seen this?

Oh, yes.  Haven't missed an episode.  Bought the Season 1 Blu-ray when it first came out!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »

I also received an advance copy of the Brando MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY yesterday.  Don't believe everything you read is all I can say.  More later.

??  I am afraid I'm going to need more info, DR JMK!

I have the HD-DVD and it is, in a four-syllable word, SPEC-TAC-U-LAR!

Please tell me they didn't ruin it for Blu-ray!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:07 AM »

I am listening to a truly bizarre bossa nova version of All I Ask of You.  It's no better that way.
Oh, no. I'm sure it is. Wait, you don't mean for Halloween. Never mind.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »

Nothing against Maurice Jarre, but Bronislau Kaper was ROBBED (robbed, I tells ya).

I'm torn, I tell you, torn.   No one loves Kaper's "Mutiny on the Bounty" more than I do.  No one.  But also that year (1962) were two other scores I love:  "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Taras Bulba"...each a masterwork for composers Elmer Bernstein and Franz Waxman, respectively. 

I think either "Bounty" or "Mockingbird" should have taken that Oscar.   

JMK

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »

??  I am afraid I'm going to need more info, DR JMK!

I have the HD-DVD and it is, in a four-syllable word, SPEC-TAC-U-LAR!

Please tell me they didn't ruin it for Blu-ray!

No, quite the opposite, though you wouldn't know it from the Forums (Fora?).  :)

JMK

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »

It's not perfect, mind you, but it's often mind blowingly gorgeous.

JMK

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »

As much as I love MOCKINGBIRD, when you think of the sheer scope of Kaper's score, there's no competition, in my mind at any rate.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

I am listening to the FSM MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, which is decidedly better than bossa nova versions of All I Ask of You.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »

I am listening to the FSM MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, which is decidedly better than bossa nova versions of All I Ask of You.

With no disrespect to anyone who has ever produced a soundtrack album, the FSM "Mutiny on the Bounty" is the most spectacularly produced soundtrack EVER.   What makes it more remarkable is that there are three score presentations on it....the one that graces the released film, the one that was written (and is in many ways very different, but in the same mold) for the original cut that was altered, with re-takes ordered, etc., and then the one re-recorded for the MGM score album.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »

I'm looking forward to Mutiny on the Bounty - and have read the forums, who are making it seem like it's a disaster.  I posted that if they'd used the same transfer as the DVD that it would not be good, since the DVD was VERY soft verging on being out of focus, but the few screencaps I've seen lead me to believe this is sharp and therefore at least redone in some way.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »

I've added Amy and Mark to the notes - my brain was so tired last night - and also Vincent Jan and his wife - I didn't see them after the show, they must have run out quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »

I'm up.  I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow, did not wake up once during the night, so I got seven hours of sleep and hope to go to bed early tonight.

Doug R

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »

I'm so glad I saw the film when it first opened in 70mm. Wonderful experience! The sniffy London critics were so dismissive of it but those who saw the roadshow presentation obviously loved it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »

I saw Mutiny about eight times in 70mm at the Egyptian - they had three of these huge roadshows in a row there - Ben-Hur (which played for more than a year there), King of Kings, and Mutiny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »

I just heard a telephonic voice mail message from Mike Stoller who said he was "bowled over" by the show and the material - amazing to hear that coming from him.  My first big laugh of the evening, talking-wise, was in the opening patter and not in my commentary but off the cuff - in saying that a lot of folks don't even know I write songs, I said that there were people in the audience who'd had some pretty unbelievable hits and that my only hit was Dancing Dildos.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 10:09:11 AM »

TOD: Harold Prince is probably at the top of my list, and I think you can probably guess what we would discuss.

My top choice, as well, DR John G.

I would also include
Stephen Sondheim
Tommy Tune
Norman Lear
Carl Reiner
Mel Brooks
Carol Burnett
Mary Tyler Moore
Elaine Stritch
Chita Rivera

Hmmm...I guess just about anyone who had a career in TV and theatre pre-1970
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Nice to see you, DR Amy - thanks for the Gardenia report!

DITTO!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »

Congrats to BK and the cast of last evening's Gardenia Show!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

I'm looking forward to Mutiny on the Bounty - and have read the forums, who are making it seem like it's a disaster.  I posted that if they'd used the same transfer as the DVD that it would not be good, since the DVD was VERY soft verging on being out of focus, but the few screencaps I've seen lead me to believe this is sharp and therefore at least redone in some way.

I am currently reading Herman Wouk's first novel, AURORA DAWN.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up