Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 38641 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 06:54:06 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's only 6:50am.... PST.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »

TOD:  I found this site because I found Bruce.  I happened into our favourtie bookstore, Mystery & Imagination (aka Bookfellows), to browse and he was giving a reading.  I knew BK from his records and Cds already, many of which I owned.  And the owner of the store, Malcolm, had actually introduced us once before when the bookstore had been in another location.  Anyway, I enjoyed the reading and bought the books and BK and  I chatted and he suggested I do one of his interviews on his site.  The rest, as they say, is history.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »

PAGE TWO JET-LAGGED IN LOS ANGELES DANCE!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:15 AM »

The view from Hidalgo this morning (that's fog/mist down in the valley over the Willamette River):

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »

WOW....DR JMK - that CD is at Amazon for less than $9....NEW.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »

So I bought it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 07:09:22 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I lurked for a while, and then on September 9, 2002, I posted the following post on the original "brown board". It turned out to be a "Roll Call" day, so...

"
Well, this will be my first time posting here, so I guess I officially become a lurker now - an upgrade(?) from just a reader. ;-)

My name is Jose C. Simbulan. I am fortunate enough to make my living as a professional musician - pianist/keyboard player/musical director/conductor. I most recently had the honor of playing rehearsals for the Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration productions of SWEENEY TODD and A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. Upcoming projects include EVITA for a local university, CARMEN JONES at the Kennedy Center, and SOUTH PACIFIC at Arena Stage

I work locally (D.C. and Richmond) and regionally - pick a region, any region. One of my specialties is playing auditions - I LOVE to play auditions. Each Spring and Fall I get to indulge that pleasure by playing for the Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC) auditions, and the Unified Professional Theatre Auditions (UPTA). There's nothing like playing for 200-300 in one day! -Really, I do like to do this. *I'll be in Charlotte this weekend for the Fall SETCs.

For all you singers out there: Train your pianists!

For all you pianists our there: Train your singers!

I must take this chance to thank BK for all his work on those UNSUNG MUSICALS and LOST IN BOSTON albums. Wonderful material, and they've provided many an opportunity for me to work on my transcription skills as singers have requested material from those albums for auditions, cabarets, etc. *I was always hoping some publishing deal could be worked out in conjunction with those albums... ah, well...

It has been a joy reading everyone's posts - not just today, but for the past couple of months - ever since I first decided to head on over to this site. Hopefully, I'll find myself fully in the loop in no time!

Keep up the great work!

*Oh, and how does one go about bolding and italicizing within the posts?"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »

...And now I'm working with bk on "LOST AND UNSUNG". A true Full Circle moment!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »

If any other DRs want to go back to my first day on HHW:

http://www.haineshisway.com/archives/00000304.html
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:16 AM »

Happy Anniversary to us all!

And God bless us every one!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

And now I think I'm going to try to catch another hour or two of sleep.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »

I am not on that day....so I must have come after 2002.

Yes, October 22, 2003.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:53 AM »

Thanks DR TCB.....I don't remember his name either.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »

Good morning, all! I am on DJ's laptop and moving cautiously while I figure out this keyboard and cursor. I think I want one now, so perhaps DR Jose and I will look into this when he returns.

Last night we cast the two children's roles and we got great kids, Jarod,who's around 12, and Broderick, an adorable little girl around 9.

I suspect I will spend a bit of time with them today teaching them music.

Following that, our house had a party for the cast and I got to bed around 10:30.

Hopefully, more to follow!Happy Anniversary, BK! I found HHW in 2003 because Liz Callaway had told me that BK had started a site.  I'm happy that I'm here You've seen me through a lot of good and bad times.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »

Time to go to the theatre!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »

Good morning, all! I am on DJ's laptop and moving cautiously while I figure out this keyboard and cursor. I think I want one now, so perhaps DR Jose and I will look into this when he returns.

Last night we cast the two children's roles and we got great kids, Jarod,who's around 12, and Broderick, an adorable little girl around 9.

I suspect I will spend a bit of time with them today teaching them music.

Following that, our house had a party for the cast and I got to bed around 10:30.

Hopefully, more to follow!Happy Anniversary, BK! I found HHW in 2003 because Liz Callaway had told me that BK had started a site.  I'm happy that I'm here You've seen me through a lot of good and bad times.
Sounds like a rewarding and potentially fun day today. Teaching kids who want to learn music is great. Hope it works out that way.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »

Ugh.  Property taxes (on two, count 'em, two, properties) are paid for another year.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »

WOW....DR JMK - that CD is at Amazon for less than $9....NEW.

Are you talking about the Riddle CD?  I'm listening to it as I type.

John G.

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »

A question for all you Percy Faith fans: He did an album of songs from "Do I Hear a Waltz?" (my z just stuck and it came out "Do I Hear a Walt?" which was a Disney musical, right?). Anyway, was that album ever released on CD? I remember really enjoying that one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »

A question for all you Percy Faith fans: He did an album of songs from "Do I Hear a Waltz?" (my z just stuck and it came out "Do I Hear a Walt?" which was a Disney musical, right?). Anyway, was that album ever released on CD? I remember really enjoying that one.

Percy is one of the few artists of the easy listening era (yes, I hate that term, too) whose entire oeuvre has been released on CD.

JMK

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:07 AM »

BK used to consider himself a Percy Faith fan until he saw my wall of Faith CDs, which he pronounced excessive.  :)

John G.

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »

I could have answered my own question by googling it, which I did. It's on CD married with a "Subways Are for Sleeping" recording. I may have to get that one. "Be a Santa" and "Moon in My Window" on the same disc.
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »

TOD:   My first post to Bruce's original site was on 03/25/02, the day after the Oscars.  Bruce had found me embattled with a rec.music.movies Nazi who didn't like anyone posting thoughts with which he didn't agree.  Bruce not only sided with me, but invited me to join him at HainesHisWay.com.

My first post (thank you, Jose, for the inspiration)(and apologies to anyone it, yet again, offends):

Okay, first things first:

Tom Cruise -- I don't believe for a second that he and Nicole are still "friends." I DO believe he used all his clout to get that spot on the Oscar show in a lame attempt to upstage Nicole. There was NO value in anything he had to say....who cares about his travels anyway?

Second...Tom Cruise. He does have two kids. Two that were ADOPTED. The Cruise penis did not enter a vagina and procreate.

Third...please! Rosie O'Donnell's instincts are STRONGER than Tom's toothy denials. She doesn't adore him because he's straight. Anyone else sick to DEATH of his smile -- the Cruise grin reminds me sometimes of a smirking skull.

Next...

What in hell could Cameron Diaz have been thinking when she left her house with her hair looking worse than it did when she applied the "Something About Mary" "gel" to it?

Did she pay some sicko hairdresser to do THAT to her hair? Revoke that queen's license! Quick!

Woody Allen WAS the class act of last night's show -- no question about it.

Next was Sidney Poitier -- much eloquence and sincerity.

Robert Redford was pretty darned spiffy, too (and I did not detect one single clue that he's ever had any face work done -- and he DESPERATELY needs some...he'd look SO much better).

Denzel was the class that Halle should have been. Too much "race" talk last night. I've never thought any of it was about race, when it came to acting nominations/awards. Overlook Spike Lee and you're a racist. Overlook Bas Luhrmann and, "Oh, well..."

When the performances are good enough, they get nominated. When the buzz is at its hottest, that's when the votes get cast...whether you're black, white, Australian, English or whatever else.

Dump the entire trend of backless-to-the-butt gowns -- not ONE of the actresses wearing them looked good in them. As one announcer said about Sharon Stone, "She showed us her 'junk in the trunk' and it wasn't very pretty."

Posted by Ron Pulliam @ 03/25/2002 01:40 PM PST

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »

I was not a Percy Faith fan until I dropped 10 cents on that Do I Hear a Waltz? album. It's still a little too smooth for me in large doses, but I do see why people like his music.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

Great first post, Ron Pulliam.
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »

Gosh!  I remember all that as if it were....oh....I dunno....yesterday?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »

I have a CPR class this morning.

Tomorrow morning, I see the dental surgeon who performed the sinus lift I had two weeks ago.

Thursday morning, I see my dentist and we start working on replacing two crowns.

Sigh.

JMK

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »

I was not a Percy Faith fan until I dropped 10 cents on that Do I Hear a Waltz? album. It's still a little too smooth for me in large doses, but I do see why people like his music.

Get some of his Latin stuff if you want to hear something a bit more wild.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »

Great first post, Ron Pulliam.

Thanks, John G!

JMK

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up