Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPEN ARMS AND CLOSED FEET  (Read 24334 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:OPEN ARMS AND CLOSED FEET
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2004, 07:14:42 AM »

Jason,

Hope your computer problem has been cured. If not, you may want to check the following:

Tools
Internet Options
Accessibility

If there is a check mark in "Format Documents Using My Style Sheet," then remove it.

This cured a problem I had awhile back. Good luck.

Jason

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2004, 07:23:26 AM »

DinT: I don't know what the hell's going on with my computer. I was online for a short time this morning and luckily had no pop-ups. I tried to download a second SpyWare Scanner, but none of the ones I tried would download correctly. I'll be sure to check the Internet Options when I get home tonight. Thanks for the tip! I hope it works...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2004, 07:46:26 AM »

Kaufman's not winning play director didn't bother me at all. There's only one director-play award, and the director of the revival won it this year - in both the play and musical categories.

For those who subscribe to that "they'll cancel each other out" argument, did anyone else notice that in three of the acting categories this year, folks won who had another nominee in the same show with them: Idina Menzel, Michael Cerveris, and Audra McDonald.

Yes, Hugh Jackman's speech did last longer than others, but at that point in the evening (the next to the last award), the producer of the show saw they had time and let him go on. One of the perqs of being in the next-to-last category.

(And I have to say since Jackman seemed a shoo-in and Best Musical Actress was such a toss-up, I thought for sure they'd do that one next to last.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2004, 07:48:23 AM »

As for today's TOD time travel question, after watching that new version of THE LION IN WINTER, I think I'd like to sit down and talk with Richard the Lionhearted. From all I've read about him, he seems to have been a fascinating enigma of a man.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2004, 07:52:43 AM »

Also have to say that I DESPISED Tony Bennett and Mary Blige being on the show. Not knocking their talent, but they seemed out of place and time killers. Let's face it, no amount of "guest artists" is going to bring non-theater folks to the Tony Awards. They should either let theater folks do it or move it to PBS or some other venue.

Now, if we HAVE to take those interlopers in order to have the show broadcast at all, OK, I can accept that. I certainly want to be able to see the show. But I just don't think there is anything they can do to spike the ratings of a show with such a specialized audience.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2004, 08:14:29 AM »

In today's edition, the Los Angeles Times published a letter to the editor I sent regarding the passing of Ronald Reagan:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/letters/la-le-reagan7jun07,1,3390972.story?coll=la-news-comment-letters

(It's the third one down.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2004, 08:42:03 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but.... If anyone needs further proof that the redoubtable Miss Channing is...shall we say slightly "out of it"... I offer this sentence from an article about the Tony Awards in today's LA Times:
...Current events and politics surfaced in other onstage and backstage comments. Presenter Carol Channing remembered Ronald Reagan fondly as "a great president of the Screen Actors Guild."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 08:43:32 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »

Good letter, Jay!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2004, 08:58:41 AM »

Jay,

Excellent letter.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2004, 09:02:33 AM »

I'm sure it was Bruce Vilanch who came up with Hugh Jackman's line. Regardless, it was a good one: "Carol Channing has just been arrested in a drive-by shooting."

Jay

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2004, 09:07:36 AM »

Thank you, Dear Readers Panni and Dan-In-Toronto!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2004, 09:08:27 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but.... If anyone needs further proof that the redoubtable Miss Channing is...shall we say slightly "out of it"... I offer this sentence from an article about the Tony Awards in today's LA Times:
...Current events and politics surfaced in other onstage and backstage comments. Presenter Carol Channing remembered Ronald Reagan fondly as "a great president of the Screen Actors Guild."

I would say that was one of the wisest comments I have ever heard Miss Channing make.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »

Having read comments made in this forum  from those on the east coast, it was easy to identify what was being talked about when I finally watched the Tony show for myself.

The highlight of the evening, for me, was Idina Menzel's much-deserved Tony for best leading actress in a musical.

It prompts me, nay, it moves me to reprint -- right here -- what I wrote about "Wicked" a little more than a year ago after I saw it in San Francisco on May 31, 2003:

I’ve been home a couple of hours.

I spent 3 hours and 10 minutes (including a 15-minute intermission) of my life today totally transported by a f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s musical fantasy. It didn’t seem like more than a couple of hours.

It’s the first time I’ve seen a musical without having been familiar with the music beforehand. The surprise to me was that I fell in love with so many of the songs (21 songs – count ‘em – 21 – with 6 reprises), instantly loved two of the performers and grew quite fond of a third after not having been initially impressed.

This show offers many stunning surprises, plotwise, and the great news is that ALL the cast is not only up to the task, but totally at home in an Oz L. Frank Baum created but never imagined in quite this way.

First, Kristen Chenoweth is adorable as a ditzy blond G(a)-linda who eventually asks folks to call her “Glinda.” She plays the “blond” for all she’s worth and she’s worth a great deal.

Comedy is her forte and they give her some dazzling opportunities to shine. First and foremost is her entrance at the start of the show -- descending in a bubble that spouts bubbles! Total kitsch played to the nth degree.

She has some wonderful songs, “Popular” being one of the best character numbers.

Idina Menzel is glorious as Elphaba (who would become the Wicked Witch of the West) and she has, by far, the very best songs in the show with the Act I closer “Defying Gravity” a house-bringer-downer. It’s chill-inducing and tremendously moving.

Norbert Leo Butz seemed, at first, a bit miscast. Primarily, it’s because his character is introduced in a number called “Which Way’s the Party” which is more of a dance number than a song, and Butz’s dancing moves aren’t up to the par of the company’s (which are MOST impressive). Once the emphasis is on character and song and not trying to be all jazzy and hep with dance, he settles into his character and rises up to the same level as Chenoweth and Menzel. He has an amazing voice!

Stellar support is lent by Carole Shelley as Madame Morrible (imagine a “Mrs. Slocum” type – “Are You Being Served” – without the British accent). The book is filled with wonderful made-up words – some almost malaprops, and Shelley has her share then some and delivers them with delicious aplomb.

Robert Morse’s wizard is a real treat. So, too, is the Throne Room “head” of the wizard with its glowing eyes and it’s stentorian voice. The “old” Bobby Morse is there – with quavering voice and cute expressions – but so, too, is the aging Morse and he fits the wizard extremely well. He has a number with Elphaba called “Wonderful” that is totally that…well, mostly. I’d make a cut in the last verse or so and shorten it a bit. I’d do the same with one of Elphaba’s big numbers – “No Bad Deed” – which is much in the vein as the first act closer, but it went on just a tad too long.

The dancers who performed as the flying monkeys are nothing short of amazing and they were well-rewarded by the audience at curtain call.

Sound was uniformly good, but I have to explain that I was on the second row, right orchestra, and 5 feet from the stage rim. Fortunately, I was treated to a lot of Chenoweth and Menzel as they had quite a few numbers that few feet from me. On the other hand, I was close to some of the speakers and the more powerful numbers are loud, bordering on shrieking. It probably didn’t sound that way five rows further back.

The set design and the lighting were SUPERB. And I thought the costumes a treat. That said, I can understand some folks NOT liking them. They were colorful, and not a little odd. I thought them Oz-like (comparable to costumes in the movie). That said, every character seems to have a full, unique costume and it's too much to take in. Also, with no contrast (simple togs, for instance), it overhwhelms.

The Oz sequences themselves, however, are PHENOMENAL – all that emerald green and lavish costumes and glorious lighting.

This was one of the seminal theatrical events of my life. There haven’t been that many, but I have to tell you that this show – even with a few quibbles (below) – is going to be a major hit.

Quibbles: Awkward moments with set changes; things falling; voices off stage of crew members attempting to get someone’s attention. A few songs that need trimming. A second act that seems to try to continue the story while also tying up many loose ends. There are a lot of songs in the second act and only a couple of them are too long. The others seem almost like set pieces, but they’re wonderful songs. There are some major plot surprises in the second act and they seem a bit hurried (in fact, there is a lot of quick change, no-pause-for-applause after a number). I have a feeling that the show may have been much longer and they've sacrificed some breathing room for pacing. I hate to say it, but they should probably cut a song or two rather than hurry through.

I have a new respect for Stephen Schwartz. This is a great storytelling opportunity and his music is definitely up to the occasion and then some. There’s a bittersweet ballad that both Elphaba and Glinda get to sing called “I’m Not That Girl.”

Oh! And one more thing: This show is Idina Menzel’s vehicle to superstardom.

You read it here first!

Of course, I had to wait more than a year for my feelings about Idina's performance to be completely validated, but it's the power of her presence in the show -- especially in consonance with the magical Kristin Chenoweth -- that gives the show what magic and power it possesses.  It's Elphaba's vehicle, and Idina Menzel IS Elphaba.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:18:27 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2004, 09:23:30 AM »

DR Jay, I guess it's lazy of me, but I don't want to have to register for the LA Times to read your letter. Could you or someone reprint it here? I'd love to read what you had to say. But I don't need another cookie on my hard drive, and the chances of going to the site on a regular basis are fairly remote.

Thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2004, 09:28:39 AM »

I'm not disconsolate that WICKED didn't win Best Musical. Lots of wonderful musicals have failed to take the top prize. Just off the top of my head:

OLIVER!
SHE LOVES ME
FUNNY GIRL
GYPSY
THE MOST HAPPY FELLA
WEST SIDE STORY
PETER PAN
PROMISES, PROMISES
FOLLIES
PIPPIN
CHICAGO
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
INTO THE WOODS
THE SECRET GARDEN
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
RAGTIME

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2004, 09:29:53 AM »

Wow, I've finally read all the posts!

It was hard last night not to spoil the Tonys.  All I wanted to say was "IDINA and AVENUE Q".

I was REALLY surprised that WICKED lost for Best Musical.  I really like what I've seen of AVENUE Q (on tv and the cd).  But I never thought that a small show like that could beat a touring powerhouse like WICKED.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2004, 09:30:38 AM »

Oops, forgot DREAMGIRLS, CAMELOT.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2004, 09:33:51 AM »

They'll be promoting "Avenue Q" as "the little musical that could" before long.

It's getting to be just a bit TOO precious for my blood.

It's not like "Two Gentlemen from Verona," but...just how good is it?  I'm not overwhelmed by the OBC recording.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:40:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2004, 09:34:26 AM »

Someone mentioned that they thought the Tonys went past 11pm on the east coast.  Nope they were over well before 11pm here.

RE: Hugh Jackman's speech going over.

I don't mind if they let the Best Actor or Actress go over a bit.  But again it seemed a bit much that they let Hugh go way over in his speech and in his number.

IMO, his speech going over cut from the Avenue Q people being able to talk longer at the end.

And I didn't really care for Phylicia Rashad's speech.  I much preferred the intense emotion of Idina's speech.  It was so moving.  To me Rashad's seemed rehearsed and almost like she was acting (and she was talking so slowly I thought she wouldn't even finish).

Btw, I loved Nathan Lane and Sarah Jessica Parker's Hugh Jackman banter.  Very cute.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2004, 09:39:27 AM »

DinT: I don't know what the hell's going on with my computer. I was online for a short time this morning and luckily had no pop-ups. I tried to download a second SpyWare Scanner, but none of the ones I tried would download correctly. I'll be sure to check the Internet Options when I get home tonight. Thanks for the tip! I hope it works...

Until last weekend, I was riddled with pop-ups I couldn't get rid of.  I downloaded Spyware and Spyblaster.  One was for cleaning up what had already invaded and the other was for blocking out those which were trying to invade.  It helped for about a week or so, and then the ads were back.  And then I was being automatically logged on to the internet and then being refused access to anything because none of my logins would work.

By then, it was impossible to download anything else that might be helpful, so i reset to factory settings (used my recovery CD).  I then downloaded McAfee's newest/best security that includes a firewall.  It cost me $59.95 (promising a $20 rebate, but who knows how to get it?)

So far so good.  But I have had a moment or two of anxiety.  I visited MSNBC.com and suddenly five ads popped up.  I exited and cleaned out my cookies cache pronto.  I HATE pop-ups.  And the sites that impose them on me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »

Okay....I would love to have lunch with Miss Allison Hayes around 1961 or so - just to talk to her about her movies and her life.  And be the envy of all the guys in the restaurant.  And then have dinner with Ayn Rand and Nathan Branden later that day.

Not to quibble but: it is Nathaniel Branden (born Nathan Blumenthal).

It would be more entertaining to have dinner with them a few years earlier (1954-1959) while they were still having their affair.

During dinner would you offer up: "What would you say if I told you that years from now you both would be publically denouncing each other?"

der Brucer (pondering "Atlas Shrugged - the Musical")
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2004, 09:45:13 AM »

I thought the speech by the producer of "I Am My Own Wife" should have been shut down much earlier.  That poor guy didn't have a clue how to stop talking and was going into "what ifs" on the psyche of Charlotte, for goodness sake.

Phylicia Rashad's acceptance was moving, distinguished and extremely heartfelt, IMO.  

Idina was ecstatic...and funny.

I thought Hugh Jackman was a bit full of himself in his acceptance speech, but charming nevertheless.

The "Avenue Q" folks were goofily fun and funny.  I felt sorry for their director's getting passed over, but he has a lot to be proud of.

Jay

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2004, 09:47:51 AM »

DR Jay, I guess it's lazy of me, but I don't want to have to register for the LA Times to read your letter. Could you or someone reprint it here? I'd love to read what you had to say. But I don't need another cookie on my hard drive, and the chances of going to the site on a regular basis are fairly remote.

Thanks.

It irks me that my hometown newspaper and the New York Times force people to register in order to view content on-line.  I look at plenty of other newspapers on-line from all around the country without having to register.

Anyway, here's my letter, as it was published today:

While a lot of people seem to be busy beatifying President Reagan, these are the events of his presidency that stick most vividly in my mind: a criminal mishandling of the AIDS crisis, an unprecedented run-up of the federal deficit and handing over the Republican Party agenda to the Christian right. With a legacy like that, for the sake of his family, I hope he can rest in peace.

Jay Soloway

Pasadena

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »

One part of the Tonys that made me laugh was when the 2 guys who won for Best Score (for Avenue Q) kept passing the Tony back and forth.  I heard that it is tradition to take hold of the award when you are talking up there.  But I have never seen any people pass it back and forth like that so many times.  Did anyone else find that interesting?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2004, 09:56:44 AM »

I thought the speech by the producer of "I Am My Own Wife" should have been shut down much earlier.  That poor guy didn't have a clue how to stop talking and was going into "what ifs" on the psyche of Charlotte, for goodness sake.

Worse and more of it - his comments did the show a great disservice! There are too many people who think the show is about transsexualism when, in fact, the show deals very little with sexual orientation; it's major themes revolve around integrity, loyalty, and efforts at self-preservation.

der Brucer

It is also a love story. While stuck in writers' block, the playwright, Doug Wright, was advised:

"Your passion for her, your dissillusionment - it has all the makings of a romance...whatever you do, don't write a play about history. Write a play about your love affair with Charlotte von Mahlsdorf."

(quote from Doug Wright's intro to the play)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 10:08:12 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Andrea

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »

Must agree with the limited amount I've read...  Tony's were most delightful-- Wicked performance was awful-- and how ever could a network cut off Mr. Hugh Jackman?

Ben

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2004, 10:08:39 AM »

Now that the Tonys have been dispensed, here is some Information on the upcoming season from Playbill On-Line.

The season for Musicals Tonight has been announced. For those of you unfamiliar, it's similar to the Encores series. Some interesting titles were announced (including one of my favorites, The Apple Tree) although I'm not sure why they are doing the stage version of Meet Me in Saint Louis.

Here is the link to Playbill On-Line

Musicals Tonight
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86653.html

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels will start in California and then work it's way here to New York, opening on Valentines Day 2005. It's a musical version of the movie and will star John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz.

A link to the POL article

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86650.html

Andrea

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2004, 10:10:04 AM »

Just a quick note to say I'm still here, I'm reading the posts and that your Tony party was much more fun than mine.
Bah! I LOVED our Tony Party-- we read fashion magazines during the long parts, were attentive during the musical parts, and switched to the National Spelling Bee on the commercials-- what's not to love?

Ben

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2004, 10:15:29 AM »

As much as I adore Avenue Q I am afraid of the overkill problem. It was delightful and funny and fresh and I loved it and am quite happy it won Best Musical. That's not to say it's the greatest musical to come down the pike in the past 10 years and I don't want to build it up to impossible heights. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (witness BK and and some others who have seen Urinetown. Again,  I saw the show early in the run, before it even moved to Broadway and was taken in completely, laughing and loving it) but I hope that if you get to see it that you enjoy it. There are some wonderful things about Wicked, the main thing being Mendel's glorious performance but I wasn't as taken with it as others. I think one of the reasons, for me, was I read the book and think it's wonderful. I know the book and the show are two different animals but the book transported me the way the show transported RP. When I finally saw the show, I think, there was something of a let down for me. I got past it by realizing that to make the show they needed to make changes.

This is turning into a ramble so I'll stop now and go back to work, since I'm back from my morning training session.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up