Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FIRST FOUR TRACKS  (Read 9699 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE FIRST FOUR TRACKS
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »

DR JRand61, when does Mercury go out of retrograde? It can't be soon enough.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:28:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »

I think Guy Haines should sing "Laura."
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:31 AM »

Cranberries!
                                           !! Page 2 Dance!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »

Per DR Elmore's request:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »

My Birding Buddy and I decided to postpone our trip to the sewage ponds because of rain. This is the closest we will get to snow, so I think we will make a little Christmas around here.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »

Ginny inspired me.

Laura

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »

We had live trees when I was a kid. We got a fake one when they came out. It was HORRIBLE looking.

One year when my in-laws came out for Christmas, we got a real tree. It was so pretty on the lot. We cut the required inch off the bottom and put it in water right away. It dried out completely before Christmas. We're lucky we didn't burn the house down. I was so sick with a sore throat for a couple of weeks. I had two courses of antibiotics and a negative strep test. My throat hurt so bad I cried. Oddly, it cleared up the day I hauled the dead tree out to the alley. So no more real trees for me.

When Sandra was about seven we had a little potted Christmas tree that we planted in the front yard. It is about 35 feet tall now.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »

Thank you, all.

Condolences, Laura.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »

TOD:

Aside from some of this year's releases that haven't come to DVD yet, I don't think that there is any movie that I want to see that I haven't seen.

I watched THE CONSTANT NYMPH last night, which (I believe) was a "Holy Grail" for some people.

It was okay, but nothing that I could get excited about.

Frankly, I think that many of these "lost" films (e.g. Lon Chaney's LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT) are better off "lost".

If they were ever found, I think that people would be very disappointed.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:50 AM »

Thanks, Elmore and FJL.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 07:11:57 AM »

Well, the reviews for ON A CLEAR DAY appear to be mostly negative. I wonder how long it will limp through the holidays.

Laura

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 07:11:57 AM »

Congratulations on your book, John G. I hope the editors are kind.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »

TOD:

to begin with

The High Powered Rifle - the only Allison Hayes film I have never seen

The Party Crashers - with Ms. Frances Farmer's last appearance, available home-grown, but very DARK.

JR, you may have missed my long ago post (what else is new?):  THE PARTY CRASHERS in a *very* nice looking print (albeit cropped slightly to 1.33:1) is available to stream via Netflix.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I have jet lag. Whoa! ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »

However, speaking of (quasi) Frances Farmer films, I've never been able to find FIVE WERE CHOSEN, the Budd Schulberg Mexican film she was hired to do but never finished.  (It was Ricardo Montalban's debut).  I'd love to see if she's in any master shots.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »

I believe I was the first person to procure and identify Frances in a very brief montage sequence from NO ESCAPE (AKA I ESCAPED FROM THE GESTAPO) the Monogram film she worked on for one day before the law caught up with her.  The King Brothers didn't want to waste those few frames of film.  ;)

KevinH

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »

Condolences for DR Laura.

KevinH

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »

So, KevinH, would I, as a copy editor, have enjoyed "Close Up Space"? We don't get many plays.

First, DR JohnG, congrats on the book!

To answer your question, I think you'd like the beginning of the play, as I did, where David Hyde Pierce's character edits (using an overhead projector) letters and emails from the principal of the school his daughter is attending.     

I thought it was going to be a wacky but warm show about the relationship of a father and daughter (as a matter of fact, I saw a commercial on TV this morning that kind of suggested that).  It's not.

KevinH

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »

Well, I'm here (at JFK) quite early for my 12:40 pm flight.  I thought it was better to be safe than sorry, to coin a phrase.   I had heard there was going to be a traffic tie-up by the livery cab drivers who are protesting in front of the Governor's East Side office.    Since my airport bus was leaving from Grand Central Station o, on the East side, I was a little concerned.

KevinH

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »

Oh, I meant to mention the audience members at Chinglish.  First of all, it's amazing how many different accents and languages you hear (I guess especially at this time of year since people come here to shop for Christmast).  So I sat down.  The man to my left was hogging the entire armrest (even on my side).  Then a group of four people came in to my right.  Well, I had to have a little room for my arms.  Luckily the man on my left reached down to get something on the floor, so I put my arm against the armrest (not on top).  He still put his arm over quite a bit, but it was okay.  For a minute I thought it might turn it to the episode of King of Queens when Arthur is having an armrest fight with Carrie's boss.

I couldn't quite determine the language the people on my right were speaking: Portuguese?, Romanian?).  Anyway, at intermission, I stood up and said "excuse me."   The people seemed quite puzzled as to why I needed to get out, but the man next to me explained (in English, for some reason):  "wants pee-pee."

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »

Condolences to DR Laura ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vibes you can work out things for her checkbook for DR Ginny's mother ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »

Oh, I meant to mention the audience members at Chinglish.  First of all, it's amazing how many different accents and languages you hear (I guess especially at this time of year since people come here to shop for Christmast).  So I sat down.  The man to my left was hogging the entire armrest (even on my side).  Then a group of four people came in to my right.  Well, I had to have a little room for my arms.  Luckily the man on my left reached down to get something on the floor, so I put my arm against the armrest (not on top).  He still put his arm over quite a bit, but it was okay.  For a minute I thought it might turn it to the episode of King of Queens when Arthur is having an armrest fight with Carrie's boss.

I couldn't quite determine the language the people on my right were speaking: Portuguese?, Romanian?).  Anyway, at intermission, I stood up and said "excuse me."   The people seemed quite puzzled as to why I needed to get out, but the man next to me explained (in English, for some reason):  "wants pee-pee."

LOL!!! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »

Well, I'm here (at JFK) quite early for my 12:40 pm flight.  I thought it was better to be safe than sorry, to coin a phrase.   I had heard there was going to be a traffic tie-up by the livery cab drivers who are protesting in front of the Governor's East Side office.    Since my airport bus was leaving from Grand Central Station o, on the East side, I was a little concerned.

You could always ride a few loops on the AirTrain to pass the time. ;)

~~~~~SAFE TRAVEL VIBES~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

KevinH

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

Well, the reviews for ON A CLEAR DAY appear to be mostly negative. I wonder how long it will limp through the holidays.

I was happy to see USA TODAY gave it 3 out out of 4 stars, but the NY Times is definitely negative on the whole.  I agree that it doesn't make sense in some places, but I overlooked that and enjoyed the great songs.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »

DR ELMORE the Mercury retrograde ends TOMORROW!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »

Yes I did read you PC post DR JMK - but since I am not a millionaire and don't have NettFlicks - it was not available to me.

I thought I saw Frances and pointed her out to you in NO ESCAPE......but that was MANY full moons ago......you may indeed be correct.

KevinH

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »

You could always ride a few loops on the AirTrain to pass the time. ;)

~~~~~SAFE TRAVEL VIBES~~~~~

Wouldn't I have to go through security again?  They only had one lane open yet there were about 10 workers.  One of them did open up a separate lane for the guys delivering sodas and juice drinks to the shops inside the security area.

Thanks to all for the travel vibes!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 08:23:16 AM »

There weren't many OTHER master shots in THAT film......for her to sneak into.....but that outfit Mary Brian wore looked awfully familiar.  I still think it's the one Frances was wearing when she was hauled into Santa Monica court the next day.

KevinH

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »

There goes my latest "quote" screw-up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 08:24:10 AM »

Or rather.....one like it.   She seems to be wearing a similar one in the one still you have posted from the movie.  And didn't you reveal that on that particular day she also had a fight with the director because she refused to be tied up?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up