Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FAREWELL 2011, HELLO 2012!  (Read 13827 times)

KevinH

Re: FAREWELL 2011, HELLO 2012!
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »

TOD:  My most memorable New Year's Eve would also have to be 1999/2000.  My friend and I arrived in Las Vegas to see Barbra at her first (well, second) concert in many years.  (We went to the New Year's Day concert--she also performed New Year's Eve).

KevinH

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »

Speaking of Ms. S., while cleaning I've been watching "On a Clear Day..." for the first time on my modern flat-screen TV.   I still love it  If only Yves Montand had not been chosen to be her leading man...

KevinH

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »

Oops!  I meant to say 1993-1994, not 1999-2000!

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

TOD - 29 years ago Richard and I were in NYC from Christmas Day to New Year's Day.  On New Year's Eve, we saw EVITA on Broadway (starring Karen Akers) and just before midnight we went out in front of our 7th Ave. hotel, a few blocks north of Times Square.  We could see the ball drop, but we weren't in the huge crush of people.

Ginny, are you sure you didn't see Lonit Ackerman instead of Karen Akers?  I don't think that Karen Akers made her Broadway debut until GRAND HOTEL.

Yes, DR TCB, I think you're right.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the Playbills from the 8 shows we saw in 7 days on that trip.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »

We're having a small party over here on Monday for the Rose Bowl.  Betsy is a Wisconsin alum and most of the guests are Oregon Ducks, so there may be fist fights.  :)

One of my former co-workers will be featured on a float tomorrow in the Tournament of Roses Parade.  The float represents Organ Donations.  Her name is Janice Langbehn, and five years ago, while on vaction in Florida, her partner of 18 years suffered a massive and fatal brain hemorrhage.  She, and their three adopted children were refused the right to be with Lisa becasue they were a same sex couple.  She later sued the hospital, and last year she received a personal phone call from President Obama telling her that based on her story he had changed the national policy for any hospital in the country that receives Federal Funding regarding same-sex couples.  She also was given the Presidential Citizen Award in October from President Obama for her efforts.  Janice is qute something.

http://www.glaad.org/blog/janice-langbehn-will-receive-presidential-citizens-medal

If you have seven minutes to spare, her speech is quite well done.

I saw a segment on one of the local news broadcasts last night!  I had no idea that you knew her, Tom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day have always been a weird holiday for me.  I have never quite understood the idea of celebrating the end of yet another year in my life.  Sorry, but that has always been the way I have felt.

I'm the same. I've never been into celebrating New Year's Eve. What's good about another year having gone by!! When I was young it wasn't something the family celebrated and very few people did in those days. In the UK it only became more common to celebrate New Year's Eve when New Years Day became a national holiday in 1974. I think America has always celebrated New Year's Eve more than we in the UK though.

Count me among the what's-the-big-deal crowd.  That said...my most memorable New Year's Eve was December 1995, when I was in New York City!  We saw some great shows, my forehead was on "Live with Regis and Kathy Lee", I saw Betty Buckley in Sunset Boulevard, Avery Brooks in Robeson and Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria!  And our New Year's Eve performance was a special added show of "Stomp" that ended at midnight.  Fortunately, we missed the Times Square crowd. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

We're having a small party over here on Monday for the Rose Bowl.  Betsy is a Wisconsin alum and most of the guests are Oregon Ducks, so there may be fist fights.  :)

DR JMK, Betsy's situation sounds like mine - trying to be a true blue Michigan Wolverine surrounded by Ohio State Buckeyes.  Tell her to hang in there and "On, Wisconsin!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »

Speaking of Ms. S., while cleaning I've been watching "On a Clear Day..." for the first time on my modern flat-screen TV.   I still love it  If only Yves Montand had not been chosen to be her leading man...

A-Men!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

TOD - 29 years ago Richard and I were in NYC from Christmas Day to New Year's Day.  On New Year's Eve, we saw EVITA on Broadway (starring Karen Akers) and just before midnight we went out in front of our 7th Ave. hotel, a few blocks north of Times Square.  We could see the ball drop, but we weren't in the huge crush of people.

Ginny, are you sure you didn't see Lonit Ackerman instead of Karen Akers?  I don't think that Karen Akers made her Broadway debut until GRAND HOTEL.

Yes, DR TCB, I think you're right.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the Playbills from the 8 shows we saw in 7 days on that trip.

You mean you can't remember every cast member you saw in those 8 shows?   :)
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »

LOL, DR TCB!  I have to think real hard even to remember all 8 shows!

George

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »

Well, Happy New Year's Eve, Everyone!  Party safely and have a great new year!!  I'm off to my sister's.  We're all meeting there before we go to eat at Budd Bay Cafe (our reservation is for 6:30 pm).  It's become our New Year's Eve tradition.  After that, we'll probably go back to my sister's house for a while, but I'm sure that we'll all be back at our respective homes long before midnight.  At least, I plan to be home before midnight. :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »

Well, Happy New Year's Eve, Everyone!  Party safely and have a great new year!!  I'm off to my sister's.  We're all meeting there before we go to eat at Budd Bay Cafe (our reservation is for 6:30 pm).  It's become our New Year's Eve tradition.  After that, we'll probably go back to my sister's house for a while, but I'm sure that we'll all be back at our respective homes long before midnight.  At least, I plan to be home before midnight. :D

George, if I don't see you later, Happy New Year!  Does Budd Bay have vegan dishes?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »

TCB, KevinH, FJL, George, JMK and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Boys night in?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

I am trying to decide if I want ot have scrambled eggs and sausage for dinner, or just order a pizza?
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »

Happy New Year to DR DougR and anyone else already in 2012!

KevinH

« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »

Boys night in?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going anywhere.   

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »

Happy New Year to DR DougR and anyone else already in 2012!

Ditto!
“One thing’s universal,

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »

Happy New Year to all you beautiful people on this here site!

My most memorable... probably 2 years ago in Times Square. Greg came in on a train at almost 11PM so we didn't have a chance to see the actual ball drop, but to be in the midst of all those people, in the snow, was still mighty great!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »

Boys night in?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going anywhere.   

You're welcome to come on over here.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »

Happy New Year to all you beautiful people on this here site!

My most memorable... probably 2 years ago in Times Square. Greg came in on a train at almost 11PM so we didn't have a chance to see the actual ball drop, but to be in the midst of all those people, in the snow, was still mighty great!

Edi!  What a wonderful surprise!
“One thing’s universal,

KevinH

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »

I am trying to decide if I want ot have scrambled eggs and sausage for dinner, or just order a pizza?

I'm having a frozen pizza from Germany --the brand is Dr Oetker. Anyone heard of it?  It was on sale for $3!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »

I'm having a frozen pizza from Germany --the brand is Dr Oetker. Anyone heard of it?  It was on sale for $3!

I am afraid not.  Good price!
“One thing’s universal,

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »

I'm off to play some music with the boys but wanted to say hey to everyone! Hope to check back in before it's 2012 in CA!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

KevinH

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »

Nice seeing you here, DR Edisaurus!

KevinH

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

Well, it's a Barbra-day for sure (at least in my place).  I'm now watching her 2006 concert on blu-ray.

FJL

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »

Boys night in?

We're staying in the building, going to a neighbor, but the party doesn't start for a couple of hours.

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

Richard and I just had a yummy dinner of sausage, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes - reminded me of Germany!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

Richard and I just had a yummy dinner of sausage, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes - reminded me of Germany!

That sounds really good!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »

Last week, I discoved this great new pizza chain around here called Garlic Jim's.  So I go online and the site no longer recognizes me or my address.  So, I call the store and (surprise surprise) they have already changed hands.  Swell!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

One more post.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up