Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOMPING AT THE BIT  (Read 17210 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« on: June 12, 2004, 11:59:57 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about everything, and now you are chomping at the bit to begin posting until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:00:39 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 12:08:02 AM »

Sort of a BK reference: I watched the Disney MM collection (Volume One) last night and saw Harpo riding an Ostrich in the Polo Match.
These cartoons are so wonderful. Nearly 70 years later and it's difficult to find any animation of the same quality. Perhaps it was Art made with love rather than movies made for $$$.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 12:08:44 AM »

My first topic of discussion is that I'm going to bed. The Wonderdog had a bath today and smells very nice, so he will possibly cuddle up with me. This is not to suggest he doesn't ALWAYS smell nice - but tonight he smells even nicer.
Good-night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »

And a very happy birthday to once hainsie/kimlet Philip Crosby.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 12:27:49 AM »

I really hated being away for so long. A day without HHW is like a day without HHW
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 12:39:33 AM »

Happy Birthday to Philip - maybe he lurks sometimes!
"Caught" a one time New York poster lurking the other day! Guess the lurker was just checking to see that we were still the happiest bunch on the WWW. Which of course we are.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 12:47:04 AM »

Happy Birthday, Philip Crosby.

DRMS - welcome back...I love TRON!

Wow....Mary has her father's smile!  And Dave Willock also played father to Cynthia Pepper in the tv series MARGIE....and Cynthia will be at the Courts show with Mr BK very very soon!

Well....Spam sandwich and Velveeta cheese.

There was a short discussion yesterday about viruses being sent from your email.  I will just say if you add an address to your address book that begins with some numbers and a phony .com - any virus that tries to send through your email will be stopped.  The "number" email will be the first in your book, and when it fails, the virus will not continue in your address book.....example  0000123@shakalaka.edu

8-)

Sounds like the reading AND the dinner went very well MR BK.  Congratulations!

STATE FAIR - the musical NOT the event - closed tonight....strike the set....cast party, talent show!  And most of the acts were very good!  I came in second place for my sign language interpretation of THE ROSE, third place was 5 year old Lily who played Brahm's Lullaby on the piano, and first place was Karen - who did a sword dance from the Middle East!  Whew!  BUT my favorite number was 8 year old Clay who rocked out to "The Old Apartment" by Barenaked Ladies....damn!  I was astounded!  Just last year he was Jerome in SOUTH PACIFIC, and now he is a rock star!  

I will start a topic....what play, musical, tv show, did you see that you held no hope for - in fact may have been dragged to - and ended up loving so much, it became a favorite?

For me....a production of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT in 1983, AIDA last year, and on TV "Trading Spaces."  That will start....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 12:49:53 AM »

Laterz.......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 01:45:39 AM »

Just checked through my CDs and memory and could not find an answer JRand. Easier to find shows I have been so keen to see and have been disappointed. Top of that list would be (many others would disgree) "They're Playing Our Song". A score in which I can not find much of interest and characters and a story line I could not care about. A few others have met my low expectations (or not even reached them!) - "J C Superstar" and "Blood Brothers" for a start.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 06:30:54 AM »

Wow where is everybody on a Sunday morning?  And why do I feel so tired?

It looks like we have another beautiful day here.  Bright sun and blue skies.  I love it!

I think I'm losing my mind.  There was something I really wanted to comment on from last night.  And now I forget what it was.  Maybe I should reread all of last night's posts? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 06:35:32 AM »

Oh well I cannot remember. :(

But welcome back to DR Jenny.

I need to get dressed and eat so I can go paint/clean.

Then tonight I am off to see Fiddler on The Roof in Yiddish.  Should be interesting.

Panni

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 06:36:16 AM »

Good morning.
JR - I remember years ago (at the Pantages, I think) also being surprised by how entertaining JOSEPH was. Can't say it became a favorite, but I had a good time seeing it. There have been certain movies which surprised me that way. LEGALLY BLONDE (the first one) was actually fun - certainly no masterpiece, but an enjoyable romp.  BTW - I just read that it's being made into a stage musical.  I was also happily surprised by how wonderfully entertaining SCHOOL OF ROCK was.
Maybe some shows will come to mind as the day goes on.

Robin

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 06:53:17 AM »

I will start a topic....what play, musical, tv show, did you see that you held no hope for - in fact may have been dragged to - and ended up loving so much, it became a favorite?

I dreaded seeing a regional production of Baby, and the only reason I was roped into seeing it was because one of the young women in the cast was a co-worker, and she really needed the support.  The production was wonderful, and the cast CD has never been left unplayed for very long.  

TV show...Star Trek: The Next Generation.  I've always been a huge Trekkie, and when this show first aired, I thought it was pathetic.  In fact, after seeing the first half-dozen episodes, I gave up on it.  And only after some serious persuasion, almost verging on an intervention, a couple of friends sat me down and had me watch some episodes during the series' third season.  And they were great, I was forced to admit.  (The first two seasons have some fine episodes, but my opinion is that most of them are quite poor.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 07:02:24 AM »

DR JRand, the only show (and in this case movie) that comes to mind is MALICE. I waited until it came to a dollar movie theater here in town and didn't expect much. I was blown away by the twisting storyline and amazing performances. I was a Nicole Kidman hater until I saw her in this film.

I wish I could say ANYTHING that Andrew Lloyd Webber has done would have surprised and delighted me when I saw it, but usually the opposite is the case. Usually the shows are much worse than I expected them to be. I know they're generally loved, but I can't stand either JOSEPH or JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 07:04:23 AM »

BK, sorry if you've mentioned it often and I've forgotten, but what was the name of the play? And since its been a work in process for six years, has it undergone any title changes during those years?

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004, 07:07:51 AM »

Having a downpour here that's lasted an hour. Got up to a cool, crisp morning, more like an autumn Sunday morning, and headed off to the grocery store. The rain started dropping as I wheeled my groceries to my car, and it hasn't stopped.

We need the rain, goodness knows, but I'd love to curl up back in bed for a few hours. This is great sleeping weather. Unfortunately, I'm wide awake!

Robin

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 07:39:41 AM »

From today's paper, a humorous bit that will be lost on the creationists:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 07:40:58 AM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Danise

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2004, 07:50:59 AM »

Good morining all!

First, I'm glad that you had a nice day yesterday, Bruce.   The play reading sounds like it was fun!

Forgive me but what was the purpose of it?  I mean, what is the next step?  Is it going to be on stage someplace?  Does that mean that you might be on stage with it?

Michael, I would like to congratulate you on your excellent taste in flat panel monitors.  You don’t know it but I bought the very same brand (A Xerox 17") last Sunday.  I have been enjoying it ever since.  Did you get yours at Best Buy?  I have a hundred dollar rebate to send in from there for it.  I waited because I wanted to make sure I wanted to keep it.  

I'm finding that it IS much, much easier on my eyes.

I know what you mean about not being able to use the net or send/receive e-mails while at work.  Sometimes I’m dying because it’s right in front of me and I can’t use it.  But working for the government we are told that the news media monitor those kind of things.

Since I work in HR, I know that people get written up for it all the time.  That’s why I don’t do it.  I love you all but I have this thing about having money to buy food, dog bones and internet access at home.  

Jane, are you sure about Echo?  The way I read it, Keith (no disrespect) found out about it on the net but is it confirmed through your vet?

TCB, you know I was just joshing you.  But for that I will tell you my Nathan’s Shrimp story.  Those with a weak stomach may not wish to read this.

I worked for a seafood plant many years ago and they had the contract for Nathan’s.  I used to love it when our line ran that shrimp because the batter smelled so good.  It was different from the junk we always ran.  You could tell there were spices and eggs and all kinds of good stuff in it.

Well, one day we were doing a run of it and several people, including me, noticed there were bugs in the batter.  The whole line was stopped and the big wigs were called down to have a look.  After about 10 minutes of discussion, the order came to run it anyway.  Ugh.  We were told no one would notice the extra crunch.  Double ugh.  

Soon after that, we lost the Nathan’s contract.  I guess someone must have noticed, huh?

It started an investigation on other matters and could I tell you some stories about some other things that went on.  Needless to say, the shrimp plant went out of business not very long after that.

I know anyone that works with food could tell you horror stories but I can only speak for what I have seen and can tell you:  I don’t like seafood.  And I refuse to eat shrimp.  

I do love Nathans hot dogs, however.  We buy them at grocery store down here.  Can you get them at the store in NYC?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 07:59:28 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2004, 07:54:26 AM »

Thanks Danise.  The problem with Echo is rare except in German Shepard’s, and very rare in Bernese Mountain Dogs.  The vet felt even worse for us as our last dog had the same thing, but at least she was old.

Jennifer thank you for the good vibes.  She will need them while we are gone.  If we didn’t miss our son so much we wouldn’t be going at all.

Hi Jenny and Michael Shayne-its good to have you both back.  I will get to enjoy your posts until I leave for two weeks on Friday morning.

DerBrucer-ha, ha.  At least I only use eggs from chickens that are cage free and range free, meaning they have access to the outdoors.

Michael Shayne I just emailed Penny.  I haven’t heard from her either.

Thank you Panni and Tomovoz.  We do obsess a bit about our furry family members-just like the rest of you, we can’t help it.

Thank you MBarnum.  It has been tough on us.

We liked TRON.  Wasn’t it the first film to use computer generated special effects?

TCB, thank you.  I think I had to wait to post about Echo until I could handle all the kind responses I knew I would receive here.  

Jane

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2004, 08:00:02 AM »

Bruce, I didn’t eat Flicks very often, but did read the letter to Keith who was a fan.  At the movies, he must have his popcorn.

Reading about your reading was fun and interesting.  I’m glad it went so well, especially since previously you sounded hesitant about it.

Jane

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2004, 08:10:03 AM »

Danise, Keith (after hours to find it, and then days of research to confirm) diagnosing the problem is because the doctors completely missed it.  She has all of the classic early symptoms.  The doctors did insist we do an x-ray, which made her symptoms worse, to rule out a disk problem.  Aside from that, the only way to really diagnose this is by autopsy (it is okay to laugh at that).  

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2004, 08:29:46 AM »

I'm sure I've eaten flicks before, but could someone provide a pic or description. They sound familiar but then again, maybe not. Thanks.

Danise

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 08:37:21 AM »

Jane, I am truely sorry to hear about Echo.   I was hoping that it might not as bad you thought.  I guess I should have known you wouldn’t have said something if it wasn’t confirmed.  Is there something, anything that can be done?  Diet?  Meds?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »

Jane - I've got the nut allergy info. I'm sending you a PM.

Jane

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 09:01:25 AM »

Panni, thank you.  I will watch for it.

Danise, diet, vitamins and antioxidants.  The meds haven't been proven effective and do cause stomach problems so we are passing on those.

Off to walk Echo now.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2004, 09:20:02 AM »

MattH, Flicks were large chocolate chip type candies. The container was pretty much like the cardboard tube that your toilet paper is wrapped around, LOL! but the tube is wrapped with a colored tin foil as I recall. Delicious candy and it was my favorite to buy at the movie theater!!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 09:21:16 AM »

I am still thinking on JRand53's question!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2004, 09:33:07 AM »

Good morning.  I remember also really dreading School of Rock and I ended up really liking it a lot.  I can't really recall any musicals I dreaded and ended up liking - they were all as bad as I'd feared.  I didn't really think I'd like Alias or The Sopranos when I got those DVDs, but I ended up loving The Sopranos and liking Alias.

The title of the play, which I don't like, is Loosie-Goosie.  It does mean something to the play, but as a title it just doesn't say anything.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's probably a good title floating around that would be clever and let the potential viewer know what they're in for.  Of course, Stones in his Pockets is meaningless until you've seen the play, but it's an attractive title nonetheless.  So, maybe Loosie-Goosie is fine.  I don't know if it's had other titles or not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »

Oh, and lest anyone misunderstand MattH, Flicks aren't chocolate chip candies but chip-shaped candies, completely chocolate.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2004, 09:42:24 AM »

Well, excuuuuuuuuuse me - where in tarnation IS everyone?  Sad to be all alone in the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up